PDA

View Full Version : Because I barely fricking know her, that's why.

Nai_Calus
Jul 7, 2008, 07:25 PM
So, I live with my dad still because I can't afford to live on my own, which is suckass but what are you going to do. Beats my mother who's crazy.

Anyway, I've got a half-sister. She's 15 or so and lives with her mother in Missouri. Now, when I was growing up, I lived with my mother, and only escaped her a couple of years ago. Anyway. I saw my dad back then on weekends, every two weeks.

Well, let's see, this means I also only saw her every two weeks on weekends. And she's eight years younger than me. I'm 24. She's 15 or 16 or however old she is. Guess how well I know her, and how much we have in common, and how much I care.

I don't care. At all. Great, she's my half-sister, is this supposed to mean something to me? Because it doesn't. I don't feel any differently about her than I would about anyone else I barely know.

So, every year she comes out here for a couple of weeks, and this always entails dad taking her down to SoCal and going to Disneyland or San Diego or just driving around roadtripping or whatever for a week, and then her staying here for a week or two.

And dad can't figure out why this doesn't fill ME with joy. Oh yes, I have such fond memories of all the times we've gone and done roadtrips an- Oh wait I don't, because we never did that, even when I was little. Oh yes, I enjoy having someone I don't know and don't really like come and spend an extended visit in which the two of them go off and do stuff. Yeah. That fills me with glee. So excited.

Yeah, dad, stop fucking wondering why I don't thrill to the idea of her coming. It makes me feel like shit and it generally annoys me. GEE I WONDER.

Rage.

Yeah, yeah, I know, deal with it, there's nothing I can do, blah blah blah etc etc etc I'm a horrible person for even daring to feel left out of shit etc blah fuck you, it pisses me off anyway. Sure I can't do fucksquat about it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Blah.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 7, 2008, 07:49 PM
Justified Ian rage is justified. <_>

AlexCraig
Jul 7, 2008, 08:17 PM
Have you talked to your dad about it? That would definately clue him in to why you get upset at this.

You lived with your mom up until a couple years ago. And you only saw your dad once every 2 weeks. Small wonder why you weren't able to do stuff like this with your dad growing up. I'm sure he would have done more of this while you were growing up if you had spent more time with him than you have.

Pardon my asking, but did you even WANT to do some of this stuff with him while growing up? Answer not in your current mindset, but in that you had while growing up. Did you honestly want to go for a random car ride with your dad, or spend time with him in some place?

Leviathan
Jul 7, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yeeeea. I know what you mean. My dad does that every Thanksgiving.

I don't care about my step-sister. Or generally anyone from his side of the family. He just announced this about 4 years ago so why does this matter now?

EphekZ
Jul 7, 2008, 09:03 PM
I don't get it? What're you getting mad about? Someone is visiting, you don't need to get all pissed off about it. Just because you barely know her doesn't mean you can't talk to her.
Why don't you go with them? Jealousy thing. ok.

washuguy
Jul 7, 2008, 09:39 PM
Have you talked to your dad about it? That would definately clue him in to why you get upset at this.

You lived with your mom up until a couple years ago. And you only saw your dad once every 2 weeks. Small wonder why you weren't able to do stuff like this with your dad growing up. I'm sure he would have done more of this while you were growing up if you had spent more time with him than you have.

Pardon my asking, but did you even WANT to do some of this stuff with him while growing up? Answer not in your current mindset, but in that you had while growing up. Did you honestly want to go for a random car ride with your dad, or spend time with him in some place?

Someone is obviously hurt... but yeah what he said, talk to the old man about it. Maybe hes making up for his time not being able to spend time with you by working through your sister. Did you consider that maybe he feels bad you not bieng able to do these thing with him? Its never to late, talk to him, see if you can still do something, maybe the three of you can bond together! LOL (Didn't mean to go all Britaney Spears on you...)

Syl
Jul 8, 2008, 01:48 AM
Eh, you don't have it so bad. My dad is hella worse, but I won't get into much details. Basically he does the same thing, but with everything. One example; He never saved a college fund for me, even though I was an honor student during my school years. Now all the other kids do have one, but they aren't very bright or seem very determined in school.

I couldn't help but read it as jealousy, yet you don't really do anything to help it. If you're really sore about it, talk to him about it. If it's just going to be "But I/he hate(s) him/me and it doesn't matter," then there's no point in complaining about it right?

I've lived like this since I was a kid, you get used to it. It's bad, yeah, but there's really no point in BAWing about it if you "don't care," srsly.

Seority
Jul 8, 2008, 03:41 AM
I hate it when the younger sibling gets more oppertunities and less punishment then I, the oldest, get. I believe people who have issues in maintaning a healthy life are usually the younger siblings. The older ones acctually grew up and made a living. They didn't rely on their parents past the second they moved out. =/

Nitro Vordex
Jul 8, 2008, 04:17 AM
I'm the youngest and I seem to be the most sound. Trips and buying stuff? Hell, I was lucky to get my Dreamcast, when everyone else had PS2, GC, and Xbox. I only had the Sonic Adventure games for it by the way.

I only got my own internet acesss about 4 years ago. Before then I didn't have it. My family still doesn't get cable, and I don't have anything of interest around. My computer was the last big thing I got, and I got that in...2004 I think? My guitar, I got it myself, I worked for the money, and I bought it, and I was proud too.

In short, don't always think the younger ones get easy button, because I'm the example.

Darkly
Jul 8, 2008, 10:44 AM
i mean you are 24, just talk to the man already.

Broodstar1337
Jul 8, 2008, 11:10 AM
Pics of said sister?

Kylie
Jul 8, 2008, 12:57 PM
Well, family is important to me, and I don't see why you wouldn't at least give her a chance or cut her some slack unless she's done something intentionally malicious against you. I might be wrong, but it seems like you haven't been around enough to say if you like or dislike her. Times change, and some kids are easier to raise and get more opportunities (especially with a significant age difference). It almost sounds like you're blaming her for that, and I wonder if it'd really hurt you to see what she's about.

Sekani
Jul 8, 2008, 02:05 PM
In short, don't always think the younger ones get easy button, because I'm the example.

I think you're the exception, every personal example I can think of has the younger siblings leaning on or leeching off of the oldest.

Take me for example, I've been supporting my brother and sister almost since they were born. They both tried to go out and live on their own and ended up failing miserably. I didn't, and as my reward I get to live with two grown-ass kids who will probably never be mature enough to live without someone else to take care of the difficult things like paying bills on time.

MetaZedlen
Jul 8, 2008, 08:06 PM
Don't feel alone on this kind of situation, I think I might have the same kind of thoughts in this scenario.

Ok, at my cousin's grad party, late at night, my dad began to hook-up with my cousin's older brother's wife's sister (whew), and she happened to have a baby, and the first thing that popped into my head is "if those two start getting close, then I am going to get screwed with another sibling I don't want."

I would have to say the same thing as you Nai: I don't care about this baby, and don't even think that I would have to take care of it while those two go to work or out or whatever the hell, I have my own life to run right now and I don't need to deal with some annoying-ass 2-year-old while I am going to college or if I want to do a thing with my girlfriend here or there...

Don't feel alone.

Seority
Jul 9, 2008, 02:47 AM

Chances are, they went through worse then you did when you were growing up.
Maybe you just didn't take enough attention off yourself and looked at their situation. Yeah, you get all the hand-me-down shyt, but I'd take that over having soap in my mouth for hours when I first said "asshole" then got sick for a week but couldn't stay home. "School is more important then health," my dad always said. My sister just says, "I'm not feeling good," and she can stay home as long as she'd like.
Then again, everyone thinks they have it worse then others. :)

washuguy
Jul 9, 2008, 01:13 PM
Pics of said sister?

LOL WHY?

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 9, 2008, 07:46 PM
Well, family is important to me, and I don't see why you wouldn't at least give her a chance or cut her some slack unless she's done something intentionally malicious against you. I might be wrong, but it seems like you haven't been around enough to say if you like or dislike her. Times change, and some kids are easier to raise and get more opportunities (especially with a significant age difference). It almost sounds like you're blaming her for that, and I wonder if it'd really hurt you to see what she's about.

I think this may be one of the best posts here.

I would also admit that I feel very discouraged at all of the "Elder sibling > Younger sibling" posts since I myself am the younger of two brothers. Although I'm the only one of us to go to college and the only one who's been to Japan and is going to live in Japan for a year while he's still staying in Miami so far.

Schubalts
Jul 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
LOL WHY?

This is the Internet, duh.

Aisha379
Jul 10, 2008, 06:50 PM

This is a very good post. I agree with Kylie.

The thing is though - what makes you so angry? Yeah, you don't know her, I get that much, but whats the emotional barricade that seems to prevent you to even try?

Are you jealous your dad is spending time with her that he didn't spend with you or something along those lines? If thats the problem, thats really something you should talk to your dad about, but its hardly fair to condemn her before you really know her, over something that isn't her fault.

I hope things work out though.

washuguy
Jul 11, 2008, 02:02 AM
This is the Internet, duh.

*Sigh* Yeah good point...

Fossil
Jul 17, 2008, 10:43 PM
LOL! Nai, your honesty and the way you type cracks me the fuck up. I see where you are coming from and agree just as much, why give a fuck? Who is she? Nobody.

Honestly, this forum is reminding me of craigslist's best everytime I read a new topic. You guys are fucking hilarious.