PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Help

laser801
Jul 8, 2008, 11:37 PM
I was wondering which hunter i should make. i do not have online access and only want to play offline. i was wondering which is the best for me. please help me in deciding my character by stating which one you think is the best and explaining a little bit about why you choose this hunter over the other three hunters. i will take any advice you have to offer. :-) thanks :-)

Freeze
Jul 9, 2008, 12:16 AM
It isn't a question of best, it's a question of your play style. It helps to state what system your on but I'll give you a general overview. If you plan to concentrate on mele and power then by far its the HUcast. Down side is no Resta so you'll have to rely on mates and atomizers. Upside is his high atp and traps. Do not be afraid to use traps. A more balanced charater is your HUmar. He doesn't excell at anything but he doesn't suck either. He has some techs in the later versions that max out at 15. No shifta and deband, but resta is nice. If you like mele but want a good punch to your techs then HUnewearl is the way to go. Her atp is the worst of the bunch but you can compensate with shift, deband, jellen, and zalure. Techs max at 20 giving them good power. The last is my personal choice cause I like the larger range of techs to acompany her mele. Hucaseal is a decent rounded android and like the HUcast, having traps is nice especially when you reach ultimate.

laser801
Jul 9, 2008, 09:05 AM
i like to use like resta and magic sometimes but i also am interested in traps. i also want to do lots of damage melee wise. lots of people are telling me to make a HUnewearl because she has shifta and deband. i am really confused. right now for me it is between HUcast, HUmar, and HUnewearl. i have a HUmar and resta was very nice but how good are the traps? i would play as the HUcast because he is strong and has traps. i would play as the HUmar because he is semi-strong and has techs. i would use HUnewearl because she has stronger techs and shifta and deband but she is really weak. if i want to play offline by myself which do u think would benefit me the most to have?

furrypaws
Jul 9, 2008, 10:17 AM
Offline, I would actually say further along, HUneys become the best soloers. It takes a while, but once they get level 15 shifta/deband/zalure/jellen, things really start picking up. Her resta and anti cures more than the HUmar, and she has more TP to go along with it as well. The HUmar is not a bad choice either, and if it's your first time through, I'd actually recommend the HUmar instead of the HUnewearl, just so it's easier for you to get a grasp of everything this game has in store.

If you really can't decide, play each one through the Forest and see which you like the best. HUcast will be slightly trickier to solo in the earlier levels due to only being able to have 10-20 healing items at a time, but as you get higher, it gets better.

One more note, don't really expect to use a perfect blend of techs and melee as a HUnewearl. While the melee techs can help in Normal Mines+Ruins/Hard/Very Hard, by Ultimate, about 99% of the time, you'll be using support techs, and that last 1% of offense will generally only be for when you're in a pinch (if you're surrounded by 10 Vulmers and have no way to fend them off, 10-20 casts of Gifoie will wipe 'em out).

Jaspaller
Jul 9, 2008, 10:46 AM
The lack of ATP on the HUnewearl made me hate her.

HUcast is pretty good once you get him going, but can be pretty tough to use when you first start off. He blows everything away without a problem once you get your ATP high enough and end up using a Mylla/Youlla blast. Traps are pretty cool to use. Can help you out of a jam when you need it.

HUmar is a pretty balanced character... but you're out of luck for Shifta/Deband (unless you're playing PSODC). He can handle himself pretty well and has higher base ATP compared to the HUnewearl. You can make up for the Shifta/Deband by using Mylla/Youlla or getting the S-red blades.

HUnewearl is pretty balanced but is horrible when it comes to base ATP compared to the other two. Shifta/Deband and Jellen/Zalure come in pretty handy though to make up for less ATP.

Mark87
Jul 9, 2008, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't recommend the HUnewearl lol talk about 1 hit KO's
Anyway I highly recommend the HUmar because he is balanced not perfect at something but not bad either. HUcast are alright high power but low accuracy.
I can't really say about the HUcaseal never used her.
If you like magic go for the HUnewearl but be careful she doesnt have great attack and not much health either. If you wanna beat the crap outta everthing in your path go with HUcast. If you want a little bit of everthing go for the HUmar =) good luck

furrypaws
Jul 9, 2008, 12:56 PM
Ah, yeah. Just started a HUney on BB and forgot how fragile they are. You'll need a little extra bulk than the other characters if you're playing the HUney. In fact, if you're planning to use a fleshie, go with the male counterpart first, then try the female. The male normally has higher ATP/ATA/HP/DEF, while the females are generally weaker but are more specialized.

TalHex
Jul 9, 2008, 04:44 PM
personally i actually like HUcaseal the best, they have decent stats and can use traps, which have saved my skin more then once

Splash
Jul 10, 2008, 01:58 AM
Who the heck would want to primarily kill monsters using techs as a HUney? That is just stupid. Give a HUney a hit and powerful Sword (i.e. Red Sword, Chain Sawd) and they can rip everything apart faster than techs could ever could. Actually, give her any high hit weapon she can use and she does far better than spam tech killing.

Anyways, summary.

HUmar - Second highest ATP in the game, decent starting ATP and ATA, can use some techs but low MST, has no advantages nor disadvantages. An all-around person, so if you want balance of offense and defense, this is the person for you.

HUnewearl - High ATP, high MST, terrible ATA. Has the ability to use all the support techs and maxes at Lv20 and for Anti, Lv7. S/D/J/Z makes it easier for her to start Ultimate, but the shoody ATA at the beginning will cause a lot of misses unless you get some kind of hit weapon in Very Hard difficulty. But she survives so much better in Ulitmate thanks to those techs.

HUcast - Highest ATP in the game, has the best trap growth, has all the android benefits and non-benefits, BUT lowest max ATA out of the Hunter's class. This guy just kills everything in its path. It also has a lot of traps at the beginning to take advantage of making it an easy character to sweep through the lower difficulties. Then it gets harder as his ATA growth starts slowing down. Give him a hit weapon though, and no problem with that.

HUcaseal - It's a HUcast with higher ATA, lower ATP, and slower trap growth. This is one of the most unique characters as she gets the best Dagger and Twin Saber animation. Twin Saber is used a lot so she makes a good character to utilize them. Daggers are also good, and it helps in Challenge mode if you ever get around to that. Anyways, highest ATA out of the Hunters class so she doesn't need so much hit weapons to be able to hit accurately. In Ultimate, she can attack accurately so you wouldn't have to spend so much time trying to find a hit weapon to use.

furrypaws
Jul 10, 2008, 07:36 AM
Who the heck would want to primarily kill monsters using techs as a HUney? That is just stupid. Give a HUney a hit and powerful Sword (i.e. Red Sword, Chain Sawd) and they can rip everything apart faster than techs could ever could. Actually, give her any high hit weapon she can use and she does far better than spam tech killing.

Well, when you first start Ultimate, I doubt you have a bunch of 45% hit caliburs lying around (unless you have friends like I did ^_^), and when you get surrounded by 5+ enemies, sometimes the most logical thing is actually to send off loads of gi spells to get some off of your back. They never miss and they deal good damage, so it's kinda win-win.

Of course, at level 116, I have absolutely no use for offensive spells whatsoever (unless I'm bored), but I actually found them pretty helpful on occasion from around 60-100.

If I do remember correctly though, they were pretty helpful in Hard too. Each dagger strike would do around 30 damage, and each foie/gifoie would do about 100. Sure, if I had gone one by one, I would've done about 20 damage more, but with Gifoie, I could wipe out a room of boomas/rappies about twice as fast as I normally did.

Splash
Jul 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
You don't need Caliburs. Hit Claymores appear in the shop so that solves the hit problem. Oh heck, you can even get hit Charge Gatlings while you are at it.

The only reason why it works so well in the lower difficulties is because the enemies have lower resistances. Then you have Ultimate where they have this insanely high resistance which causes techs to do low damage. What sense does it make to do 20 Gifoies to kill a group of monsters when all you need is a 45% hit (possibly 50%, the highest the shop can go) Claymore and swing them dead in 5-6 attacks? The added benefit is that weapons do not apply to resistance therefore there is no "0 damage" if it hits (unless your ATP sucks in which it is impossible for a HUney).

AlexCraig
Jul 10, 2008, 12:39 PM
Well, see Splash, not all players have found, or are looking for, weapons with high hit. Most would rather have a weapon that is stronger, I'm fairly certain. Yes, there are those, like yourself, who would rather have something that hits more and is more powerful, but most people really don't care. They just want to play for fun, not for numbers.

furrypaws
Jul 10, 2008, 01:14 PM
You don't need Caliburs. Hit Claymores appear in the shop so that solves the hit problem. Oh heck, you can even get hit Charge Gatlings while you are at it.

The only reason why it works so well in the lower difficulties is because the enemies have lower resistances. Then you have Ultimate where they have this insanely high resistance which causes techs to do low damage. What sense does it make to do 20 Gifoies to kill a group of monsters when all you need is a 45% hit (possibly 50%, the highest the shop can go) Claymore and swing them dead in 5-6 attacks? The added benefit is that weapons do not apply to resistance therefore there is no "0 damage" if it hits (unless your ATP sucks in which it is impossible for a HUney).

Benefit, you ask? Gifoie was the only thing quick enough to get through. Before I could even charge up, I'd be smacked down by a Vulmer. My Katana wasn't fast enough either, and even when it was, it'd only do about 100 more than what a gifoie would do to all 6-8. It was the only way out of a trap. Duh, as a HUney in Ult, techs aren't a staple, but they can have some good uses. If you need to get away from an enemy quickly, you can take your chances and cast a few Ra/Gibartas (just completely forgot which had the higher freeze rate at the moment) and freeze them to the spot, allowing you to make a clean getaway. Of course, you could just spam your hit charge gatlings over and over, but what fun is that?

And I was kinda exxagerating with the Gifoie thing. It did a good 150-200 damage per cast, and it couldn't have possibly been more than 9 casts.

Splash
Jul 10, 2008, 05:16 PM
Well, see Splash, not all players have found, or are looking for, weapons with high hit.
You don't need to. Shops can carry them.

Most would rather have a weapon that is stronger, I'm fairly certain.
It's called "temporary use". No person would want to still use a Claymore when you have a Red Sword you can use instead.

Yes, there are those, like yourself, who would rather have something that hits more and is more powerful, but most people really don't care.
I never said they do, nor did I say I care also.

They just want to play for fun, not for numbers.
I never said they couldn't, I'm asking what sense does it make to kill something in 20 hits as opposed to something in 5 hits. But I misread what he wrote so that subjectively rids what I said in my last post.

Benefit, you ask? Gifoie was the only thing quick enough to get through. Before I could even charge up, I'd be smacked down by a Vulmer.
Devil/Battle, God/Battle, Heavenly/Battle for BB.

My Katana wasn't fast enough either, and even when it was, it'd only do about 100 more than what a gifoie would do to all 6-8.
Katanas are born slow if you must know. Also, please do not tell me it's an Akiko's Frying Pan.

It was the only way out of a trap. Duh, as a HUney in Ult, techs aren't a staple, but they can have some good uses.
Sorry I misread. Yes they do.

If you need to get away from an enemy quickly, you can take your chances and cast a few Ra/Gibartas (just completely forgot which had the higher freeze rate at the moment) and freeze them to the spot, allowing you to make a clean getaway. Of course, you could just spam your hit charge gatlings over and over, but what fun is that?
Rabarta is better for surroundings. Gibarta for lined monsters.

No, but you did not mention about the fun part so I'm asking you what sense does it make in doing that?

And I was kinda exxagerating with the Gifoie thing. It did a good 150-200 damage per cast, and it couldn't have possibly been more than 9 casts.
How would you actually get surrounded by Vulmers in the first place anyways?

AlexCraig
Jul 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
Again, you mention these things, but not everyone are able to find them. If a person is playing a character that doesn't find Devil/God/Heavenly battles, then there is little chance they'd have them, unless they trade for them, in which how often do people find them and are willing to trade them?

As for the Hit% weapons, it is as I said before. If the store doesn't have them at the time, they won't be able to get them. And if they are using a stronger weapon, I doubt your casual player is going to want to even temporarily use a weaker weapon just because it can hit better.

And yeah, people get surrounded by Vulmers all the time. Usually because they are having trouble fighting them off. Hell, I got stuck by Rag Rappies once because they surrounded me and attacked me in intervals. My EVP and DFP were so high, I just kept defending. I had to save and quit the game just to get out.

And you don't have to segment every post every person makes. It usually comes off as annoying and troll-like.

Splash
Jul 10, 2008, 06:23 PM
Again, you mention these things, but not everyone are able to find them.
You only mentioned "weapons" last time so I answered with respect to weapons.

If a person is playing a character that doesn't find Devil/God/Heavenly battles, then there is little chance they'd have them, unless they trade for them, in which how often do people find them and are willing to trade them?
So unless you are telling me that if one person lacks one of the 5 IDs (or 8 for BB unless they modified it on said server) that can obtain any one of them, then I'll concede to that fact. But I extremely doubt that a person would own characters that are either Skyly, Pinkal, Whitill, Greenill, and/or Oran and all filled up in the 4 character slots available. If that is true, I feel sorry for them.

As for BB, 8 of the 10 IDs can obtain one so that even a Pinkal Hunter could still not be that bad. In addition, it is online only so obviously trade is available as an option.

As for the Hit% weapons, it is as I said before. If the store doesn't have them at the time, they won't be able to get them. And if they are using a stronger weapon, I doubt your casual player is going to want to even temporarily use a weaker weapon just because it can hit better.
The shop sells hit weapons starting at I believe at around lv20 and then gradually has a better rate the higher the level. You aren't going to need one in the lower difficulties but it is something you can use if you wanted to for your advantage. A hit Buster would perform better than a hitless Buster. A hit Glaive would perform better than a hitless Glaive. A hit Assault would perform better than a hitless Assault. If they don't have them at the time, then check again later.

Also, I never said that they would want to swap a useless weapon in place of something that is better and helpful. The "temporary use" is when they don't have anything better to use.

And yeah, people get surrounded by Vulmers all the time. Usually because they are having trouble fighting them off. Hell, I got stuck by Rag Rappies once because they surrounded me and attacked me in intervals. My EVP and DFP were so high, I just kept defending. I had to save and quit the game just to get out.
Uhh, if you are then I don't know what to say other than watch out for your surroundings? That's like a basic thing Kireek told you in "Battle Training". Oh well then.

And you don't have to segment every post every person makes. It usually comes off as annoying and troll-like.
I don't have to but it makes things clearer on what I'm refering to when I say something. Also, no rule that says I can't.

EDIT:
Also, clarification:

No, but you did not mention about the fun part so I'm asking you what sense does it make in doing that?
The question was refering to before you mention about the fun part in your next post.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 10, 2008, 07:07 PM
You've got to go and dig that hole

A hunter huh...

It kinda depends on what your style would be. Do you want to tear through enemies with sharp stuff, do you want to freeze then mutilate them, or do you want to use techs but still use Hunter weapons mostly?

If you're looking for some kind of high heavy hitter, then I'd have to say HUcast or HUney. The reason HUney is in there, is mostly because of the S/D/J/Z/ they have. They are a good class, once you learn how to use them. Also, since they naturally have a good MST due to being a Newman(or Newearl, same thing really), their techs are pretty decent, with a good MIND on their mag. HUcast would be good for doing a tank thing, though I find their DEF is a little lacking.

For just all around, go with HUmar or HUcaseal. HUmar's techs are okay, and his accuracy isn't too bad either. He gets pretty powerful at higher levels, plus the Resta will help you when you keep getting knocked down in Ultimate. ;) HUcaseal is great for animations and a wide range of good weapons, not to mention the EVP and ATA. Plus, they look good too. :wacko:

Oh yeah, about getting surrounded. DO NOT USE TECHS WITH AoE. Why? Because when you hit all of them, their attack animations are reset, which means they all attack at once. Usually resulting in death, or a big chunk of Hp missing.

furrypaws
Jul 10, 2008, 08:33 PM
I had a God/Battle. It was like Alex said, you just concentrate on one, then you keep evading, and before you know it, you find yourself in a never ending pattern of either guarding or being knocked over from two Vulmers who somehow have managed to get a perfect synchronation going. The other 3 notice what fun it is, and before you know it, surrounded. I do have control of the camera, but the way that your character absolutely has to stop moving a second after they attack or right when they guard, you can get trapped easily.

And no, I'm not using the Frying Pan. >_> I am currently using the Orotiagito, although if memory serves, I was using the Sange back in the Caves due to ATP restriction. I've been using Katanas for a long, long time. I know how they work. They're painfully slow sometimes, and yet, my weapon of choice. For fun. What's the sense in that, you ask? Well, to enjoy myself and give myself a bit of a challenge. Technically, yes, if you wanted to, you could take a pair of hit charge gatlings and do TTF spam over and over, demolishing everything in your path until 200. But, I find it's more the journey to 200 that's worth it than the actual 200 itself. Let's face it, PSO isn't exactly that great with endgame content. So, I'm making the most of my game now. Challenge is diminishing as I move, which kinda frustrates me as I'm only 116. It looks like I'll eventually have to drop the S/D/J/Z if I want any challenge at all.

My main's a Bluefull, and honest to goodness, I'm not going to raise another alt for some time. I'm not really the one who you find spending grinding all his time to get the best equips (I don't have the attention span XP). None of my alts are above 30, so yes, finding any decent equipment would be practically impossible for a while on my HUney. Thank goodness for online friends. I don't think I even use one weapon/armor that Shalo actually found herself. >_>

AlexCraig
Jul 10, 2008, 08:41 PM
Ere we go! That is what I like to see! Someone playing for enjoyment, rather than for a grind. Furry, I tip my stylish Indy hat to you! ^^

Nitro Vordex
Jul 10, 2008, 08:49 PM
I once grabbed a bunch of green weapons for my HUmar and went to see how long I could last in Ultimate.

Not long. ._.

Eclip$e
Jul 10, 2008, 10:44 PM
best weapons for a humar offline is a sword and doublesaber and a gun on ultimate all the other modes all u need is a db sword or stronger saber

AlexCraig
Jul 10, 2008, 10:59 PM
Again, that is all about playstyle and opinion.

Splash
Jul 10, 2008, 11:05 PM
I had a God/Battle. It was like Alex said, you just concentrate on one, then you keep evading, and before you know it, you find yourself in a never ending pattern of either guarding or being knocked over from two Vulmers who somehow have managed to get a perfect synchronation going. The other 3 notice what fun it is, and before you know it, surrounded. I do have control of the camera, but the way that your character absolutely has to stop moving a second after they attack or right when they guard, you can get trapped easily.
Maybe online where there is no invincibility period after getting hit but not knocked down. Either way, their AI sucks so there is no such thing as a "perfect synchronation" (do you mean synchronisation? I couldn't tell.). They have to be lured to be able to surround you, and that comes from the player's actions, not the monsters.

And no, I'm not using the Frying Pan. >_>
Ok, I was just wondering.

I am currently using the Orotiagito, although if memory serves, I was using the Sange back in the Caves due to ATP restriction. I've been using Katanas for a long, long time. I know how they work. They're painfully slow sometimes, and yet, my weapon of choice. For fun.
Cool, that's all great. Katanas are underrated so I'm glad to see someone using them instead.

What's the sense in that, you ask? Well, to enjoy myself and give myself a bit of a challenge.
When I asked that question, I wasn't refering to that. I was refering to your "20 Gifoie" exaggeration versus "5-6 attacks" killing.

Technically, yes, if you wanted to, you could take a pair of hit charge gatlings and do TTF spam over and over, demolishing everything in your path until 200.
Not my style. Although I do know someone who did that once.

But, I find it's more the journey to 200 that's worth it than the actual 200 itself. Let's face it, PSO isn't exactly that great with endgame content.
Quite obvious. I myself never liked spamming EXP, lesser be TTF or MSB.

So, I'm making the most of my game now. Challenge is diminishing as I move, which kinda frustrates me as I'm only 116. It looks like I'll eventually have to drop the S/D/J/Z if I want any challenge at all.
Suit yourself.

My main's a Bluefull, and honest to goodness, I'm not going to raise another alt for some time. I'm not really the one who you find spending grinding all his time to get the best equips (I don't have the attention span XP). None of my alts are above 30, so yes, finding any decent equipment would be practically impossible for a while on my HUney. Thank goodness for online friends. I don't think I even use one weapon/armor that Shalo actually found herself. >_>
Wait a minute! Are you the same Shalo who has been playing on "the server" and has a guild card with the comment "o_O" on it?

Magus_84
Jul 10, 2008, 11:16 PM
Just a quick glance:

On BB, it doesn't matter what ID you have. God/Battle is available for every ID from Dangerous Deal with Black Paper. By the time you get to Ultimate, you'll probably have found at least a couple of the Photon Crystals necessary for a shot at Dangerous Deal. It drops from the Normal Dorphon Route. By the time you "need" one and have found a Photon Crystal, you'll be able to handle the Normal Dorphon route well within the time limit.

Chance is on the side of being able to get at least one from DDwBP by the time you get to Ult. Before Ultimate, it's not "needed" as much.

And PSO's a game that is reliant almost entirely on ATA. If you can't hit stuff consistently, you can't interrupt their attacks, meaning your chances to attack are gradually reduced. Even those who automatically think "Higher ATP is better" will eventually figure that one out.

Either they'll suck it up and pipe the shop for something with hit (which is doable by the time you get to Ultimate for the "casual" player, unless you're good enough at the game to do a minimum EXP Ultimate entry. In which case, you'll likely know you'll need hit), or they'll keep missing until they give up and make a RA.

furrypaws
Jul 11, 2008, 12:03 AM
Wait a minute! Are you the same Shalo who has been playing on "the server" and has a guild card with the comment "o_O" on it?

XD, that's me. I switched my guild card comment to something better about 6 months ago, but yes, that's me. Who are you? I might remember you.

...Don't tell me there are doppleganger Shalos running around on other servers. >_<