PDA

View Full Version : Quickie Review

Fracture
Jul 9, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hello. I've played both of the main PSU games for the PS2 and was online for about 2 weeks or so before I decided I didn't want to pay money to keep playing online. Been looking forward to a PSP version as I can play it wherever. Anyhow that's enough about me here's the review.

First off let me say this is so damn sweet. It took a little getting used to the Japanese control scheme layout (the O and X button functions are swapped) so once I got over that it was mostly like playing on the PS2. I say mostly because of the lack of a second analogue stick. They used the D-pad as a substitute but as the other stick only controlled looking it wasn't so bad.

The game plays VERY fluidly. I doubt the actual UMD version will run this smooth when it's finally released though as that damn drive is slow as heck at times. Hopefully they will front load a bunch of data to the Memory stick when you first install it, I hope anyways. As for the demo it ran smooth and FAST! Switching between zones was way faster than the PS2. Again that's likely to change on release.

I don't speak Japanese so I have no Idea what anyone was saying, or what options I Was selecting. The menus seem similar to how I remember them so I was able to just do things like assign skills to weapons easily. The story was interestingly presented through static shots of the characters blown up on your screen. They were displayed single when looking at you and side by side when talking to each other. I believe this actually is a totally new story as there was a character at one point I didn't recognize at all (I've not played chapter 3 online though so who knows there).

Game played the same as I remember it, locations were familiar at least in what I played and the boss battle was about the same too. Drops were not too spectacular as it is just the first couple levels. I didn't mess around with classes as I couldn't read the language.

As for modes, the story mode and multi mode both use the same character! So I started out in story mode, played through till the demo's end and then it gave me a screen that I can only guess is the release date screen. Afterwards I was able to go into multi mode and play that same character as much as I wanted in the limited amount of content there is.

Overall this was a great experience. When the Japanese version comes out I doubt I will buy it as I don't really want to be as lost as I was with an actual purchase, but if it looks like the US versions never gonna come out I might crack. I'm REALLY hoping they make a stateside version as right now I'm psyched about going back to the world of PSU on the go.

Lonigan
Jul 10, 2008, 03:19 AM
If we are lucky, we could see an English version announced just after the Japanese release, with a tentative date of several months later...

Ken_Silver
Jul 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
I agree. If you like PSU, then there is no reason why you should enjoy this game. I have played local wireless with my sister and we haven't stopped playing since. And we can't read a bit of Japanese! The character creation system is simplier than PSU online, but it works and you really don't notice it.

The story mode seems to have potiental too. The Red SEED stage was impressive to me. It shows that at the least, Alpha Systems knows how to make a plain stage more "menacing looking."

This game will be a must buy if we get it in the States and hopefully in Europe. But if we don't, it might be worth the import too... if you know someone who you can play with. :D

I give it a 8.5 out of a 10 for a PSP game.

Dragwind
Jul 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
I say if you enjoy the core game-play of PSU, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the PSP version.

Rayokarna
Jul 10, 2008, 02:52 PM
If you enjoyed PSO your gonna like this too.

Kizeragi
Jul 10, 2008, 02:54 PM
I say if you enjoy the core game-play of PSU, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the PSP version.

I agree with this. There'll be no updates, we start with everything on disk. Possibly downloadable missions/items later on. I'll be importing this even if a English version is announced. More people JP side, and JP voices are brilliant. ^^

Zantra
Jul 10, 2008, 02:57 PM
It does seem like an almost perfect hybrid of PSO, and PSU.

I like it, so far.

Fracture
Jul 10, 2008, 06:05 PM
Did they actually say there would be no downloadable content or is that just stated because this is a "offline" game? That Monster hunter game seems to be getting a bit of DLC love.

Weeaboolits
Jul 10, 2008, 11:34 PM
I rather like it so far, I got a fun spear that looks like a sword. :)

Kizeragi
Jul 11, 2008, 07:08 AM
Did they actually say there would be no downloadable content or is that just stated because this is a "offline" game? That Monster hunter game seems to be getting a bit of DLC love.

And note that Monster Hunter was never meant to be online, and because of Xlink Kai, it is now.

Pandarino
Jul 11, 2008, 03:28 PM
Pros:
- it mixes what I liked of PSO and PSU
- runs smoothly (i doubt UMD retail version will be this smooth)

Cons
- it destroys your hands
- will probably receive poor updates

I am staying in the Japanese version this time, if there is gonna be any support it will be for this version.

Zantra
Jul 11, 2008, 04:24 PM
Pros:
- it mixes what I liked of PSO and PSU
- runs smoothly (i doubt UMD retail version will be this smooth)

Cons
- it destroys your hands
- will probably receive poor updates

I am staying in the Japanese version this time, if there is gonna be any support it will be for this version.

Well considering that it's offline only (legit, anyway), I don't even think that they will support it, in Japan, or in America. Everything in the game on the UMD is going to be unlocked from the start, like in PSO.

Plus, the fact is, until Sony makes a PSP version of the PSN store, people will have to download the updates to their memory card, either using a PS3 or a PC, and then transfer the files, and put the memory card back into their PSP, and not many people will want to go through that many steps, just for small incremental updates to a PSP game.

I mean, look at how much Sega supported PSO, on the Xbox, and the Gamecube.

Even though both of these versions of PSO were online, there were hardly any updates, or new missions to download.

Most of the missions were online exclusives.

So, if we do recieve any kind of updates for PSP (which I highly doubt), they will either come in the form of PSP version 2, or PSP:AOTI, or PSP+ (for example). And, it will probably be another UMD with an updated version of the game, instead of a download, like the Xbox 360 version of AOTI.

Pandarino
Jul 11, 2008, 05:44 PM
5 think I read somewhere that there are going to be downloadable missions (not sure), like the ones for the Dreamcast...but yes we're gonna have almost all the content already on UMD.

Zantra
Jul 11, 2008, 08:47 PM
5 think I read somewhere that there are going to be downloadable missions (not sure), like the ones for the Dreamcast...but yes we're gonna have almost all the content already on UMD.

I'm pretty sure those are special missions for PSU:AOTI when you connect your japanese PSP game to your Japanese PSU account, and transfer your characters, it unlocks items and missions, and a partner card (or two) for PSU:AOTI.