PDA

View Full Version : Konami Sues Viacom over Rock Band

Toadthroat
Jul 10, 2008, 09:06 PM
Linx! (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aHQODoKwFYrA&refer=japan)

Konami is demanding cash compensation, plus an order that would block Viacom and Harmonix from using the inventions, according to the complaint, filed yesterday in federal court in Marshall, Texas. The suit names Harmonix Music Systems, Viacom, and Viacom's MTV Networks Co., which owns Harmonix.

My thoughts: lolidkmybbfjill. I don't care either way.

Shadowpawn
Jul 10, 2008, 09:44 PM
It's very likely that suit will be dropped. Konami can't claim copyright infringement on something as vague as "similar musical instruments" and "everything matching gameplay". If that was the case then if anything the creators of Parappa the Rapper and UmJammer Lammy have more of a say in this than Konami.

Ketchup345
Jul 10, 2008, 10:54 PM
First:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146479
No thoughts on the patents or anything like that?

Now:
Lawsuits over patents are really annoying, and have been for a while. Anyone have the odds of patent reform actually happening in say the next 5 years?

Toadthroat
Jul 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
My thoughts: lolidkmybbfjill. I don't care either way.

FOCL!!!

SpikeOtacon
Jul 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
I really think that this lawsuit is going to go nowhere. This is really Konami just grabbing out for attention because Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band 2 has totally overshadowed their Rock Revolution.

Rubius-sama
Jul 11, 2008, 01:57 AM
Fuck Konami. First they neglect the western market by deciding to make their music games Japan-only, then when someone else fills in the gap they cry about it? They can kiss my nuts.

McLaughlin
Jul 11, 2008, 02:17 AM
Boo-fucking-hoo Konami. You decided to screw us, you got what was coming to you.

Iduno
Jul 11, 2008, 02:28 AM
Fuck Konami. First they neglect the western market by deciding to make their music games Japan-only, then when someone else fills in the gap they cry about it? They can kiss my nuts.

Yeah, they already screw us over for releases (late or never) and then sue a company filling the gap, its just ridiculous.

McLaughlin
Jul 11, 2008, 02:32 AM
It's like they're suing over Viacom not holding their spot in the Cafeteria line while they went out for a smoke.

Mixfortune
Jul 11, 2008, 05:15 AM
I really think that this lawsuit is going to go nowhere. This is really Konami just grabbing out for attention because Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band 2 has totally overshadowed their Rock Revolution.

That's just the thing, though. Konami had Guitar Freaks and Drum Mania forever ago, but they never did anything with it past the arcade machines that were imported over. For years people had been wanting an NA home version, but they never exploited it. Now with Rock Band being as popular as it is, Konami's joining it's own race too late and trying to shove itself into the market with Rock Revolution, and now this lawsuit, meh.

Konami had its chance to capitalize on the market a LONG time ago, with no competition whatsoever, but now that they've been caught sitting on their thumbs they feel they're entitled to something. It's just so painfully obvious they had no intentions of making or bringing anything CLOSE to the style of Rock Band or Rock Revolution stateside until oh look, Rock Band's making moneys! Again, meh.

Neith
Jul 11, 2008, 12:17 PM
Konami, to my knowledge, never actually brought a drum game to the US, aside from maybe exporting some DrumMania machines for anywhere not called Japan.

I find it funny that Konami have kept quiet this long until they've thought 'oh, shit- this might actually beat out Rock Revolution, lawsuit time!'.

Considering Rock Band 2 is in development too....it's certainly nice timing by Konami. Personally, it was Konami's fault for (as Mix said) not capitalizing on the success of their own games and making an NA/EU version. Now they've just realised Rock Band/Guitar Hero are selling extremely well, and are just trying to get back into the market again. Unfortunately, they're taking the route of 'We did it first, we have rights', even though the differences between Guitar Freaks and GH/Rock Band are noticable.

Ridiculous really. Should've released Guitar Freaks outside of Japan Konami, yes? :lol:

Inazuma
Jul 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
ive always been a big bemani fan. ive had guitar freaks & drum mania in my home on the ps2 for many years now. and i used to play at arcades all the time. when i first started to see these american rip offs showing up here, i was pretty upset. they are just blatant copies to the point of absurdity.

but like others have said, konami never tried to bring their music games over here. well, i take that back. they released an american ver of the first guitar freaks arcade machine. and i know they had at least one american ver of beatmania at the arcade. plus they put out a beatmania game on the ps2. and also brought ddr over here which was the only one to really succeed, even tho it was dumbed down and had terrible music compared to the more challenging, better sounding jp vers. i think konami was convinced that the americans dont appreciate their music games, so they gave up. its also a lot more expensive to license music here, from what i heard.

i think the reason the american rip offs are so popular is b/c they do a better job of catering to their customers. guitar hero and rock band are filled w/ american rock music and culture, and thats what most players prefer. since ive always been a huge bemani fan and fan of music games in general, i had to try out these american games too. when i played guitar hero and rock band i couldnt believe how horrible the music was. plus the controllers are pure shit. imo the konami games are a million times better.

sorry for rambling on. anyway, i agree w/ these games being complete rip offs of konami's games, but they arent really taking money away from konami either, since konami tried and failed bringing their music games here.

does anyone know how popular guitar hero and rock band are in japan? did they ever come out in japan? i have a feeling they would fail miserably over there.