PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Portable, Death or Rebirth?

Zantra
Jul 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
I was just reading the PSU forum. And, it seems that a few of our members think that even if PSP is not released in America, it will be the death of PSU in America somehow (at least on PS2/PC).

So, I was wondering...

Is PSP the death of PSU, or it's rebirth?

Due to the fact, that it may or may not be coming to the USA, and other countries outside of Japan.

Considering the fact that it's going to unlock content for PSU:AOTI (at least in Japan), I consider it to be a rebirth (at least for the PS2/PC version).

But, what do you guys and gals think?

deso123
Jul 12, 2008, 04:05 PM
Death because this time I'm in control of my character and no nerd owning a server is gonna tell me what I can and cant do with it. I don't want this to be the end of phantasy star, that's up to sega. If they decide to finally spend some money and make a polished game that doesnt feel loose and open source then this will only help sell more Phantasy Star games in the future. They already stated PSU will only last about 5 years. Only the people not knowing that will go to PSU I think.

Zantra
Jul 12, 2008, 04:09 PM
Death because this time I'm in control of my character and no nerd owning a server is gonna tell me what I can and cant do with it. I don't want this to be the end of phantasy star, that's up to sega. If they decide to finally spend some money and make a polished game that doesnt feel loose and open source then this will only help sell more Phantasy Star games in the future.

You voted rebirth, and titled your response rebirth, but you posted that you think it's the death of PSU...

I guess, it can be both.

deso123
Jul 12, 2008, 04:13 PM
I messed up. Changed my mind while writing it.

ashley50
Jul 12, 2008, 04:54 PM
How 'bout neither?

ironman24682
Jul 12, 2008, 05:27 PM
I say rebirth, with PSU now being a portable option there will be more people who never played PSU before that might try the game and like it to the extent that they'll get PSU for the Ps2/PC/360. So in a way, I think this is a great way to bring in new PSU players. Personally, I've been spending hours on the demo alone, being able to play PSU on my PSP at anytime is something I really enjoy. (I have PSU on my laptop and I'm enjoying the PSP version more strangely enough.)

relentless
Jul 12, 2008, 05:47 PM
...neither...

This.

Dragwind
Jul 12, 2008, 05:48 PM
I can't say death or rebirth, but I'll say it might spark new interest in the PSU series. Maybe.

Kizeragi
Jul 12, 2008, 05:54 PM
None, PSP won't have all the missions that PSU does, it won't have near as many items.
PSP was not meant for online (cap will be 100, PA's cap at 30) PSU is an online game.
How does an offline game beat an online one? (Not including ST's current screwups)

Fry_Heit
Jul 13, 2008, 03:03 AM
The same way Monster Hunter Freedom and its two sequels pwn the original games. I really see in PS: P a kind of "Monster Hunter effect", or at least I hope so, and I'm sure Sega is hoping the same.
Anyway I'm also enjoying more the PSP version than I enjoy the original game. Not the whole of it though (I love go shopping, and here you cannot :(), but being able to play everywhere is just awesome. Plus it's a real PSU, not just some kind of quick-made game. I think it is bound to have more success than the real game has, seriously.

DC_Seraph
Jul 13, 2008, 03:22 AM
rebirth...maybe

Kizeragi
Jul 13, 2008, 06:18 AM
The same way Monster Hunter Freedom and its two sequels pwn the original games. I really see in PS: P a kind of "Monster Hunter effect", or at least I hope so, and I'm sure Sega is hoping the same.
Anyway I'm also enjoying more the PSP version than I enjoy the original game. Not the whole of it though (I love go shopping, and here you cannot :(), but being able to play everywhere is just awesome. Plus it's a real PSU, not just some kind of quick-made game. I think it is bound to have more success than the real game has, seriously.

I still prefer the orginal PS2 Monster Hunter :/...

Zarode
Jul 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I noticed that Sega is trying to milk the Monster Hunter effect, also.

And also, sorry, but Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G is far superior to Monster Hunter. :/ They just did the game so much more justice.

Kaloa
Jul 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
None, PSP won't have all the missions that PSU does, it won't have near as many items.
PSP was not meant for online (cap will be 100, PA's cap at 30) PSU is an online game.
How does an offline game beat an online one? (Not including ST's current screwups)
PSU is fairly lacking as far as unique and creative weapons goes. I don't know about you, but I'd rather play a game with a few cute looking weapons I'll enjoy hunting and prancing around with than play a game with 100+ boring re-skins or defaultish looking blades and guns. I think the demo alone is already kicking PSU's butt in terms of loot. Even if there's not as much of it, it's alot more interesting.

Not as many missions? So? I was always of the mind that PSU has too many useless missions, anyways. Half (if not more..) don't drop anything worthwhile, and nobody even runs them. Again, I'd rather have a few good missions with stuff to find than a bunch of re-skins and and rearraged maps that have zero reward.

And offline games beat online games by not sucking like their online counterparts do. Being online doesn't automatically make something better, especially if the quality of the content isn't up to par (which in PSU it isn't).

ANYWAYS,

I don't think this will be a rebirth or the death of PSU. I think fans of PSU that have stuck with it this long probably aren't going to give up on it yet. They'll probably play PSP, and they'll probably enjoy it, but it's not like you can't play more than one game at a time. Fans of the series will probably bounce between the two.

As for bringing newcomers to the series... I'm not really convinced that'll happen to a significant degree. People that pick up PSP, if not current PSU players, will probably be people who gave up on the game in the first few months and know how crappy PSU is. I wouldn't expect many that haven't already tried PSU to try PSP.

Reipard
Jul 14, 2008, 01:11 AM
It might stir up some curiosity, but otherwise this shouldn't affect PSU like, at all. It can't replace it feasibly in any way, shape or form.

dragonwin
Jul 14, 2008, 07:37 AM
And offline games beat online games by not sucking like their online counterparts do. Being online doesn't automatically make something better, especially if the quality of the content isn't up to par (which in PSU it isn't).

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Zantra
Jul 14, 2008, 03:13 PM
I just like the fact that weapons, and armor, and grind materials drop now.

It pissed me off that I had to craft almost everything, in PSU.

shadedragon94
Jul 14, 2008, 03:21 PM
definetly rebirth this demo is awsome i got it yesterday

Mixfortune
Jul 14, 2008, 03:38 PM
For me and my group (well, brothers) who were huge on the offline multiplayer aspect of PSOGC, and phasing out of online PSU, will definitely be a huge rebirth/spark for us. Granted most of us happen to also have PSPs now, so it's certainly a lovely coincidence/circumstance.

DreXxiN
Jul 14, 2008, 04:40 PM
PSU will most likely die for me upon the release of PSP. Sick of the support, sick of the community, sick of the anti-eliti....er...I mean noo...err... "Angry casual players". PSU just generally arouses anger for me. =]

furrypaws
Jul 14, 2008, 09:01 PM
...Seeing as the PSU community of America has already been whittled down to the most hardcore fans, I don't see how this could kill the game anymore. Neither.