PDA

View Full Version : Noob Qs for settin' up one's PSP for PSP...

Clunker
Jul 12, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ok, here goes.

Since I've not seen 'my type' of games for the PSP, I've overlooked any and all info on the device...

However, my roomate has one - and doesn't use it much. So, he's nice enough to allow me to fiddle.

The system data says that it is at v#3.72 (prolly as its been used for maybe 5hrs max since purchase).

I understand that its a wireless device - but how do I go abot getting the system updated to th
level needed to properly play PSP? PSP needs, what, 3.90 minimum, 4.01 for best results?

Please be as idiot-proof with this as possible - as I've NO experience with this sorta thing, and don't want to f-up a buddies' device on this!

Zarode
Jul 12, 2008, 11:22 PM

Network update.

Find your access point. Configure as needed.

Make sure your battery is at least at 75% battery life.

It's idiot proof after that.

beatrixkiddo
Jul 12, 2008, 11:28 PM
Make sure he's not using 3.71 M-33 or you're gonna have a pissed-off buddy.

Clunker
Jul 12, 2008, 11:31 PM
See, this is exactly why I asked - what would have happened?

I just made certain of the system vers. - as per the OP, its 3.72 - not good enough to run.
I think we need to get to a free wireless zone - there aren't any near the apartment (within PSP range anwhow). Sigh.

So, does the "Scan" option of network auto setup if there's free wifi available?

beatrixkiddo
Jul 12, 2008, 11:42 PM
M33 is customized firmware (hacked), it lets you do all sort of neato things. Trying to upgrade from custom firmware to official can brick (make the PSP not load, etc) the PSP, and even if it doesn't brick the PSP, it's a lot of trouble to go BACK to the custom firmware.

But if it was just plain 3.72, there's nothing to worry about.

As for the wifi network business, yes, free wifi (should) work, but you'd have to talk to the hoster for the details you need to enter into the PSP, as most "free wireless" requires you to sign up, or at least be given a passkey.

An alternative would be to download the upgrader from Sony's website and put it on your PSP via a USB data cable. If your friend/roommate/whatever didn't get one with his PSP, they're decently cheap, and a good thing to have anyway.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/About/SystemUpdate/pc.html

mvffin
Jul 13, 2008, 12:34 AM
its been used for maybe 5hrs max since purchase

If this is true, I doubt its a custom firmware. But I'd ask whoever's PSP you're using if its running custom or not before installing any official firmware.

Clunker
Jul 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks, mvffin, I double checked that issue with both the owner - and managed to find the listing in the OS myself.

It's 3.72 for certain.

Just gotta get the thing into a zone with free wifi, as neither of us have a PC laptop with the memstick slot to perform the download process as described by Beatrixkiddo's link.

Or have I misread that link?
See, the PC Laptop that he has (and I run on Macintosh gear), doesn't have:
"A commercially available Memory Stick USB reader/writer"
"... Memory Stick slot"
as apparently needed by the process at the aforementioned link.

Can't one simply DL the patch on ones Laptop, then use the USB cable to connect directly to the PSP (with the Memstick already inside it), and transfer it that way? Or am I reading that infolink
wrong?

AnamanaAU
Jul 13, 2008, 11:35 AM
There's Network (WIFI) Update and there's a Manual Update, where you basically go to the Sony PSP website, download the patch and transfer it via USB cable to (Drive:\PSP\GAME\UPDATE), then run it through the memory stick in the game menu of XMB.

beatrixkiddo
Jul 13, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks, mvffin, I double checked that issue with both the owner - and managed to find the listing in the OS myself.

It's 3.72 for certain.

Just gotta get the thing into a zone with free wifi, as neither of us have a PC laptop with the memstick slot to perform the download process as described by Beatrixkiddo's link.

Or have I misread that link?
See, the PC Laptop that he has (and I run on Macintosh gear), doesn't have:
"A commercially available Memory Stick USB reader/writer"
"... Memory Stick slot"
as apparently needed by the process at the aforementioned link.

Can't one simply DL the patch on ones Laptop, then use the USB cable to connect directly to the PSP (with the Memstick already inside it), and transfer it that way? Or am I reading that infolink
wrong?

Yeah, you can use a USB cable, plug it into the PSP and your computer, then go to "USB Mode" in the system menu. It'll pop up on your computer as a portable drive, then you just follow the directions on the page.

It says "A commercially available USB A<-> Mini-B (5-pin) cable", you might have missed that ;P

Clunker
Jul 13, 2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, you can use a USB cable, plug it into the PSP and your computer, then go to "USB Mode" in the system menu. It'll pop up on your computer as a portable drive, then you just follow the directions on the page.

It says "A commercially available USB A<-> Mini-B (5-pin) cable", you might have missed that ;P

Ah-HA!

Actually, no I didn't - what I got confused over, was that "one of the following" bit -_-;
I was wondering why the @$(% it needed a direct connection to the PSP, but also having the memstick interpreted through a memstick reader... gah.

Just now found that USB Mode thingy as you posted. Examining that option now.

beatrixkiddo
Jul 13, 2008, 12:01 PM
My laptop actually has one of those mem stick slots built in :3

Too bad I don't ever use it, and when I DID use it, I'd never touched a PSP in my life (and had no intentions of doing so)

Clunker
Jul 13, 2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the assistance; I've managed to get the update working, and also placed the Demo into the same GAME folder as created in the update method.

Now, to figure out the creation options!