PDA

View Full Version : Consideration of a Brawl Sequel

Nitro Vordex
Jul 15, 2008, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure if this is old news or not, but I thought I'd post it.

Link (http://smashgamers.com/2008/07/03/brawl-sequel-to-be-considered-by-sakurai/)

Sakurai had said they had to trim down Brawl and remove some things, due to time constraints( :roll: ), and there were many other characters. Probably ones we'd never heard of.

Though, what really intrigues me is what's near the bottom of the page:

So guys, prepare in a few years for a newer version of Brawl with new characters guaranteed and expected new features, possibly improved WiFi system, it is not yet know if this game would be developed for Nintendo Wii or for the next console in which Nintendo will develop.

It's probably nothing interesting, but it makes me wonder what Nintendo will do from here on. They went to motion sensors, it seems that going back to the original consoles could feel like a step backwards to get their footing. I don't get to play Brawl much, but I do like to play. Though, it just doesn't feel the same like it did when I'd start the 64 one or Melee...

Thoughts?

TheOneHero
Jul 15, 2008, 10:21 PM
Brawl was way too easy to unlock characters, stages, stage parts, etc. etc.

I had everything in under 15 hours. =/

Also, needs more Golden Sun characters. Alex or GTFO.

EphekZ
Jul 15, 2008, 10:22 PM
It's nintendo, of course they're gunna make a sequel.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 15, 2008, 10:25 PM
I lol'd at the time constraints thing, didn't they have like half a year to almost a year?

NPCMook
Jul 15, 2008, 11:09 PM
hmm... I dunno, couldn't they just you know release updates for the games via Wi-fi like the Xbox 360 does? sounds like Nintendo is now in the process of trying to drop the ball and lose money here

Iduno
Jul 16, 2008, 07:13 AM
"possibly improved WiFi system"

Possibly? POSSIBLY? They need to give the wi-fi a major overhaul to make it worth using next time round, having to either go to the menu or use another medium to get into a game with a friend when you can see they are online but have no way to contact them or invite them to a game sucks.

Also they need to make wi-fi battles count towards challenges and records and get rid of the annonymousnes (or whatever the word is that describes being annoymous) online, I want to see who I'm playing against please.

Also mewtwo needs to come back, I loved the looks of his throws and the way he wielded a beam sword.

(on that topic melee beamsword looks much better then brawl's imo)

Also they needs to make sure it doesn't drop any more characters, improve the level editor and bring back some of the better melee levels with graphical updates (fountain of dreams was sooo pretty and now its gone)

Wow guess this post turned into a wishlist for the next game :P

MetaZedlen
Jul 16, 2008, 09:57 AM
A sequel would be nice, and I have made a little list of the things I would like to see in it:

1. Use Melee's engine instead of the slowed-down brawl engine
2. Bring back the left-out Melee characters (mainly Roy)
3. Tell Sony to fuck-off and add MegaMan, MegaMan X, and Zero
4. Switch around a few final smashes (eg. Ness using PK Rockin and Lucas using PK Love instead of them both using StarStorm)

I may have to come back, but those are the biggest things

Kent
Jul 16, 2008, 10:53 AM
I lol'd at the time constraints thing, didn't they have like half a year to almost a year?

Six months to a year? That's an incredibly short amount of time to develop a AAA title for a console, you know.

The average game's development cycle lasts approximately two years, for a console or PC game. Games for systems like the GBA or DS have shorter development cycles, and games with their own proprietary engines usually take one to two more years for R&D of the game engine, itself. Brawl was not only in development for at least three years or so (probably more, actually, due to Nintendo-style policies regarding QA), but then it had to get pushed back even further... Twice.

A sequel would be nice, and I have made a little list of the things I would like to see in it:

1. Use Melee's engine instead of the slowed-down brawl engine

Brawl's engine is better-suited to the type of game Sora was trying to make. That is, they're trying to make a game that's not only easily-accessible, but also with the depth required for more advanced players. Melee's engine was considerably more buggy than the one used in Brawl, which lead people to the mass-usage of exploits to "deepen" gameplay. Needless to say, the switch was a necessary one to improve the game's cohesion.

2. Bring back the left-out Melee characters (mainly Roy)
I agree with this one. If a character can't be brought back due to being too similar to another character... Then change their moves. No real reason to cut out characters outright, unless they're nothing more than a flawed clone of someone else, and you can't figure out a way to make them better. For example, Brawl was originally intended to have Plusle and Minun replace Pichu, sort of making a slightly-different and Ice Climbers-esque Pikachu modification... Naturally, they'd have team-based moves that would differentiate themselves.

3. Tell Sony to fuck-off and add MegaMan, MegaMan X, and Zero
...What does Sony have to do with this again? :/ I would like to see Megaman, though, possibly with just his various incarnations available as different costumes, kinda like how Wario has two different costumes. Zero would also pretty much be the perfect character in Brawl - he's had all of the moves you could think of, already.

4. Switch around a few final smashes (eg. Ness using PK Rockin and Lucas using PK Love instead of them both using StarStorm)
I must agree with this.

The time constraints of which the team complained are especially evident in the Final Smashes of the various characters. They're not exactly the most balanced things out there (Super Sonic, for example, compared to... Jigglypuff), and some of them are getting really redundant. Why does Falco call a Landmaster just like Fox, despite that it'd be more fitting to the character to, for example, call in an air strike from the rest of the team? Or even control an Arwing briefly.

Randomness
Jul 16, 2008, 11:21 AM
A new Brawl with some rebalancing and many more chars would be nice. SSE was the real unlock issue, as once you got to about halfway it force-fed you new characters.

Darkly
Jul 16, 2008, 11:51 AM
when brawl finally came out in the uk, i rushed to buy it, hoping it would remove the settling dust on my wii,

it just felt wrong when playing it, uhhh the pace made me drop it after a few hours of play.
I may end up liking it but they keep doing this to their decent games, nintendo totally turned down the speed on mario karts too - and they always feel like a step backwards.

Neith
Jul 16, 2008, 12:18 PM
Brawl was a massive disappointment for me. Everything was generally too easy to unlock, Subspace Emissary did nothing more than annoy me (oh hey, get so far and do ALL the maps you've done, again), and some Final Smashes are totally unbalanced.

Oh, and uh- the online mode sucked unless you played with friends- Nintendo WFC stranger battles generally lagged a lot for me, and I have a decent internet connection.

I was hoping Brawl would be the game to stop my Wii collecting dust, but a couple of weeks later, it's back unplayed again (and E3 didn't impress me at all).

A Brawl sequel would be alright I guess, but I honestly think Brawl needed a lot more work to make it an amazing game, even considering how damn long it took to release. It's a decent game, but could have been SO much better.