PDA

View Full Version : Stan Lee admits videogames are superior to movies! ^_^

Saner
Jul 25, 2008, 01:39 PM
kotaku.com

When you talk about games evolving over the years and becoming more like movies, in many ways, they've gone beyond movies," he said. "To do a movie is difficult, but it's linear. There's a beginning, a middle and an end, and that's it — you write a story.

In a videogame, you're writing many stories within the story. It's a totally different structure and a totally different philosophy of writing and, I think, a much, much more difficult one. I get the feeling more work goes into these videogames than even goes into the movies.

I marvel at the fact the games look as good, and in some cases better, as the most expensive movies. [Those] guys are just geniuses. Now you watch one of these games and it's like watching the greatest superhero movie, except you're part of it. It's indescribable. " " "

----

Yup yup! at least he has a fair idea why videogames are superior to movies! ya videogames
are even superior to books, comics and all other forms of entertainment/media!!!! They have
taught us many things and let us experience things at a greater level than other forms of media!
That's why they have become more increasingly popular over the years, as technology takes
them to greater levels of immersion, size and depth! :)

And it's only gonna get better from here! ^^

:burger:

Toadthroat
Jul 25, 2008, 01:41 PM
^_____________________________________^

Anduril
Jul 25, 2008, 01:44 PM
Excelsior!

But I have to say that sometimes I prefer just to veg-out and watch actors on the Movie screen over playing video games.

SpikeOtacon
Jul 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
You couldn't produce an actual link to the source for us?

Also, I completely disagree to video games being a 'superior' form of entertainment to movies. They both serve their own ends but some things people just shouldn't be in control of.

Kylie
Jul 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
*poisons your burger*

:bash:

But yeah. Stuff I already knew. ;o

ABDUR101
Jul 25, 2008, 02:43 PM
If you've been a gamer, you don't need Stan Lee or anyone else telling you as such. Sure, I like to veg out at times too, but most often I like to be interactive with what I'm doing. I'll watch a movie or TV to just relax entirely, but I'll play a game when I don't mind putting some effort into it.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 25, 2008, 03:12 PM
Also, I completely disagree to video games being a 'superior' form of entertainment to movies. They both serve their own ends but some things people just shouldn't be in control of.

More to the point, different mediums do a better job of expressing different concepts and moods. This is why great books often turn out to make horrible movies. When an author comes up with an idea for a story, the first thing he needs to ask himself is what sort of a story it is-- Is it a movie? Is it a book? A short story? A TV series? A serial? Some sort of video game?

Video games' biggest strength is their ability to immerse the audience, but as Stan Lee pointed out, you wind up with less control of the story, having to write several different variations of the story. The end result of this is that a video game may not have the clarity of message (depending on the nature of the message) that can be obtained by a book or a very well-made movie.

washuguy
Jul 25, 2008, 06:43 PM
You couldn't produce an actual link to the source for us?

BOOOOO!!!! LOL You're right though, they both have thier own thing going... But I want to control a truck full of genetically inhanced cows filled with strawberry milk. :)

Monochrome
Jul 26, 2008, 12:40 AM
Unfortunately most superhero games these days are based on the movies and tend to suck..

Still, lolz @ "I marvel at the fact..."

did he really say that?

Eihwaz
Jul 26, 2008, 01:33 AM
As much as I like video games, very few of them have come close to the amount of impact from a great film (specifically stuff like Shadow of the Colossus, killer7, and No More Heroes). When you're making a game, gameplay should be at the top of your list, because no one is going to want to play a game if it plays like shit, no matter how great the storyline is. It's a rare game indeed that is enjoyable as play, and also has an engaging, truly interesting story.

I think game developers should focus a bit more on taking advantage of video games in terms of storytelling. Video games can present unique and new stories (the latter two games from above), or take an archetype, strip it to its core elements, and start to elevate it towards art ( the former game), but most games usually put storyline second to gameplay. As much fun as Ocarina of Time was to play, the storyline wasn't great literature. I enjoyed the story it told me, definitely, but it's not the same as reading a great book or watching an amazing film.

At any rate, I vehemently deny that video games are a superior form of entertainment to movies and books.

Dangerous55
Jul 26, 2008, 01:49 AM
My sneeze could be more artistic than some movies. Games, as well.

There really is no "superior form", I don't see how anyone could think that way.

Now do I believe Saner probably thinks PSO, Final Fantasy, and what not are superior forms of art compared to say Jack Kerouac's "Dharma Bums" or Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land"?

Without a doubt.

ShinAnt
Jul 26, 2008, 01:59 AM
More to the point, different mediums do a better job of expressing different concepts and moods. This is why great books often turn out to make horrible movies. When an author comes up with an idea for a story, the first thing he needs to ask himself is what sort of a story it is-- Is it a movie? Is it a book? A short story? A TV series? A serial? Some sort of video game?

Video games' biggest strength is their ability to immerse the audience, but as Stan Lee pointed out, you wind up with less control of the story, having to write several different variations of the story. The end result of this is that a video game may not have the clarity of message (depending on the nature of the message) that can be obtained by a book or a very well-made movie.

Period. lol