PDA

View Full Version : PC PSU: Recent Gameguard patch-

Dragwind
Jul 28, 2008, 08:46 AM
There was a recent Gameguard patch released about a week or so ago.

Since this patch, it seems that Gameguard is now interfering with at least one more new application. Upon loading up PSU, I get a BSOD (blue screen of death).

The OS on the computer having the problem is a Windows Vista.

If anyone is having this problem, please make it known. I will be trying to pinpoint a running process that could potentially be causing the problem.

EDIT:

So I tried getting rid of some running processes to make it work, and I got PSU to work.

Through some trial and error, I found the file that was causing the blue screen for me-

wmpnscfg.exe - "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application"

Try removing that file under your running processes. It worked for me. Tsk tsk Gameguard.

norrisj15
Jul 28, 2008, 04:31 PM
Yea, didn't notice your topic before I posted mine xD

But...I'm having issues you can checkout my thread right above you.

I'm running Vista x64. One of the proud few that does xD

I'll summerize my problems.
Can't basically run anything that has to do with the interent while PSU is running.

Dragwind
Jul 28, 2008, 05:31 PM
Have you tried disabling that file I mentioned above? It fixed the blue screen for me, perhaps it could help with that too?

norrisj15
Jul 28, 2008, 05:38 PM
Well I looked and I already had that file turned off. I think it has something to do with when i shut off the User Account Control, because that was messing with a lot of other things. For example I couldn't get Ventrillo to overlay, until I searched the web and discovered that if you shut off the UAC it fixes that.

So...I guess that isn't the solution for me oh well.

Ryna
Jul 28, 2008, 07:54 PM
Are you up to date on your patches and service packs?

norrisj15
Jul 28, 2008, 08:39 PM
Are you up to date on your patches and service packs?

Yea I am. That was the first thing I checked when these problems came up.

Dragwind
Jul 28, 2008, 09:29 PM
I actually had to turn my UAC on my laptop off as well for some problems I had quite some time ago. It's worth a shot I think.

Tyreek
Jul 28, 2008, 10:40 PM
I'm glad you made this issue known Dragwind. I also have fell victim to this problem. Thank you for finding the solution as this fatal error has caused me some fear as a Vista user and a PSU player. I had no clue what caused my problems other than the fact that when I update my computer, it causes it to BSOD upon authenticiting. So I'm forced to do quick restores to undo the issue. This time, it didn't work to my satisfaction.

Dragwind
Jul 30, 2008, 01:40 AM
Well, apparently that file I mentioned isn't the only thing conflicting with this new Gameguard patch. I tried to use Autogear on my laptop with PSU and it gave me the BSOD again.

I'm thinking this new patch has a bit too much security associated with it or something, it's becoming quite frustrating. I have to say this patch is causing problems at the worst possible time for this game.

Thanks Gameguard for all the problems conflicting with this game since the beginning. You've caused me nothing but endless headaches.

norrisj15
Jul 30, 2008, 11:17 AM
Well, apparently that file I mentioned isn't the only thing conflicting with this new Gameguard patch. I tried to use Autogear on my laptop with PSU and it gave me the BSOD again.

I'm thinking this new patch has a bit too much security associated with it or something, it's becoming quite frustrating. I have to say this patch is causing problems at the worst possible time for this game.

Thanks Gameguard for all the problems conflicting with this game since the beginning. You've caused me nothing but endless headaches.

This is my first problem I've ever had with gameguard. I thought I would've been hit the hardest using Vista64, but who know. I hear where you're coming from man, its frustrating. I now use my laptop to go on the internet, while I'm playing PSU on my main PC. Hopefully they fix this fast.

Tessu
Jul 30, 2008, 01:19 PM
I also have this problem on Vista.

First, it just came up randomly, and I was like, wtfdood. Then, after about three days, it fixed itself. Out of nowhere.
Next, someone recommended Autogear to me. And I tried that. It worked wonders and I loved it.. the first time. The next day, my computer had terrible lag problems until I finally just tried without Autogear, and I got a BSOD.

The blue screen I got said:

DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATI ONS

Dragwind
Jul 30, 2008, 04:31 PM
Well I've decided to give their customer service another try. Head over to this link and fill out the form at the very bottom of the page: http://gameguard.nprotect.com/support.html

Be sure to link to this thread so they can better understand the problem.

EDIT:

I've noticed that the windows media player network sharing file can continue to reload itself despite being terminated or disable from startup. Here's a useful link I found to help disable it from sneaking back up.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-are-wmpnscfgexe-and-wmpnetwkexe-and-why-are-they-running/

Bloomers
Aug 10, 2008, 01:04 PM
I've discovered a temporary fix for me at least. I just delete everything in the gameguard folder and then start PSU and let gameguard download everything again. It apparently only works one time so I have to keep doing it every time I open PSU.. a pain in the ass, but at least it works.