PDA

View Full Version : The FCC faces backlash from decision to punish Comcast for violating Net Neut.

Shadowpawn
Aug 1, 2008, 04:54 PM
Link (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/07/lawmaker-crying.html)

While the article doesn't really say what kind of punishment Comcast faces from the FCC for interfering with BitTorrent traffic there are some who think the FCC is, ironically, censoring the net in their attempt to ensure a free network for consumers. There may be some truth to that. In case you are wondering about what Net Neutrality is, it's the concept that network providers should not be premitted to control what the consumer is able to have access to via the network. The debate over the Net Neutrality has been in the media's eye since late 2005, although the concept and issue of this topic has been a topic since the invention of the telephone.

Anyway, the FCC seems to be dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 1, 2008, 04:59 PM
The FCC needs to get the hell off of everyone's backs. In my opinion, they aren't doing jack shit for this country. "Protecting" our youth? Please, they're gonna see whatever it is you're trying to censor anyways. I don't know if other countries have something like the FCC, but seriously, damn.

ABDUR101
Aug 1, 2008, 06:14 PM
Fuck both of them. Comcast should'nt be fucking with my bandwidth considering I pay the fuckers $100+ a month to have broadband access. It should'nt matter if I use BitTorrent or direct file transfers, I'm paying for the service and they should be sucking a nut somewhere instead of fucking me and my network access.

McLaughlin
Aug 1, 2008, 07:22 PM
I agree with the FCC in that Comcast should be punished. Beyond that though, I can't comment because I don't know much about the FCC.

Blitzkommando
Aug 1, 2008, 10:47 PM
The FCC's ruling is correct though. Comcast is traffic shaping and that goes against what they say they are offering as a service.

As for the FCC, there should be communications standards but unfortunately some of their upper decisions are made by people that don't know how to properly communicate with each other, let alone anything about the technology involved (see: congress). Their decision to go all digital with television signals for instance (a congressional mandate mind you) was stupid to begin with, but I digress. The FCC is simply a tool used by congress and they are really the ones that are making all of the FUBs for the most part as per usual.

zandra117
Aug 2, 2008, 08:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cZC67wXUTs