PDA

View Full Version : Need a hand... or two?

Fure_Rakune
Aug 2, 2008, 03:30 AM
I heard about this on NPR while going to work today, it seriously boggled my mind but I couldnt listen to the whole story or I wouldve been late to work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7537897.stm

Im surprised his body accepted the tissues, from skin, muscle to bone - this is quite extraordinary to me.
Even if the nerve regeneration process takes years, this is still a scientific marvel, the beginning of something wonderful I say.

Sharkyland
Aug 2, 2008, 03:52 AM
Wow, this sounds way too complex... only time will tell if it really will work.

Dangerous55
Aug 2, 2008, 11:53 AM
Weird. Cool, but weird.

Kylie
Aug 2, 2008, 11:57 AM
More stuff like this needs to be more common and available to us.

Sharkyland
Aug 2, 2008, 12:11 PM
More stuff like this needs to be more common and available to us.

Would be nice... though I guess it's a little too early to have arm/leg transplants ready. I wonder where he got them from.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 2, 2008, 12:37 PM
I'm really hoping the best of luck to that guy. If it works, it would be very awesome, and as Kylie said, stuff like this need to be more common.

Shadowpawn
Aug 2, 2008, 01:19 PM
Would be nice... though I guess it's a little too early to have arm/leg transplants ready. I wonder where he got them from.

A teenage who died shorty before his arms were hacked off for the transplant. Says so in the article.

Neith
Aug 2, 2008, 01:50 PM
That's amazing really, I've heard of hand transplants, but full arms? To be honest, I didn't think we'd come that far.

It'll take a long time for the guy to be able to use the arms properly by the sounds of things, but just the fact he's been able to have two arms successfully transplanted is amazing.

Fossil
Aug 5, 2008, 12:40 AM
Amazing stuff, but I am more interested in how long it will actually take for the farmer to get sensation and such in his hands and is able to move them. Hopefully these update his condition in the future.

Fure_Rakune
Aug 5, 2008, 01:49 PM
They said it could take up to two years to have the ability to have sensation in his hands - let alone move them.
Now its possible they could use electrostim packs that could take the impulses from his shoulders to probes in his hands/arms giving immediate use then slowly ween him off through physical therapy, but that would be another risky procedure.

CelestialBlade
Aug 5, 2008, 01:55 PM
That's bloody insane. So cool to hear how far we've come in the medical world.

Just wait until we have cybernetic implants and stuff. Artificial hearts are just the beginning.