PDA

View Full Version : Confused and Depressed

Polenicus
Jan 28, 2003, 09:19 PM
I dunno what to do anymore.

I love PSO. I love being able to play online, I like doing quests... I look forward to getting off work each day and sitting down for a couple of hours of playing with my friends. I like challenge mode, I like showing off my cool finds, and having others show theirs off to me...

But now this whole double-save-corruption thing has soured it. There is NO reliable information on it;We know people get corrupted and FSOD'D by it, but how many? What proportion of the total gaming community?; We hear from some people that Sega is aware of the problem and trying to fix it, and from others that Sega isn't even aware a problem exists. Sega officially hasn't made a peep.

I haven't had any trouble with the double-save so far. I've been intentionally bouncing in and out of games with my throwaway card, and nothing has happened. But since I don't know what factors CAUSE the fsod, there's no way for me to know if I've just been lucky or not. Since I've never met anyone who's ever had this problem, and never encountered it myself, I can't even say for sure that the problem even exists in any real sense. What if all the people affected were affected by some third factor? No one KNOWS.

So do I play online, and risk destroying all of my characters and items, cower offline and hope Sega decides to take notice and fix this, or limit myself to throwaway, garbage characters online, only letting them have weapons I can replace easily and not trying for anything hard to replace like Challenge Mode victories? Do I give up on a game I love because of something that might not even concern me, or which may already be fixed?

This is so damned STUPID... does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

2Xtreme
Jan 28, 2003, 09:24 PM
Don't worry too much about the corruption problem. It got me, but it's really not that serious. It seems worse than it is because you only hear about the people who got corrupted. People don't make topics that say "Well, another fine day of corruption-free PSO!". I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

hucasts_rock
Jan 28, 2003, 10:35 PM
to me when it frezzes during the save....my heart just drops and my hope is lost...It's a very bad feeling to have...

Toyzferall
Jan 28, 2003, 10:38 PM
*Shrugs* Don't worry about it! If it happens, it happens. Not like there's much you can do about it. And if it does happen, then what're you gonna do? Go back to leveling and finding rares? That's the same thing you were doing before, the point of the game! And as inane as that sounds, it's why we love PSO. Think of it this way... The unpredictability of online play makes it even more unique. Consider FSOD to be the most difficult rare enemy ever. XD

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Jan 28, 2003, 11:01 PM
This is a good oppoutuinity to play offline quests and such. Some JP people are complaining, so maybe ST will act for their main constituants. (I'm not going to spell check this post, fme fu) MEOW.

AzureBlaze
Jan 29, 2003, 03:51 PM
Give it some time.

That's my best advice. I too am getting tired of hanging around offline, especially now that my friends got KBs. And face it, trash/fake chars. just arn't as good as the real thing, and and putting all your hard work at risk is no fun at all.

I'm currently treating it like a server downtime like there used to be back on the DC, where they'd leave the US Ship login down for days at a time, or just break the whole damm thing. If you think about it, this threat hasn't been in action all that long. (not more then a week/2 weeks)

Sega -does- know, and are interested in fixing it, as my other post/Sega's response proves. They just need more accurate facts from people that it happened to. I believe that it will be fixed at some point in the near future if everyone just keeps talking to Sega.

Barubary6
Jan 29, 2003, 04:20 PM
A factor that I keep seeing is that only modem users are really affected by this... Has anyone that uses BBA in non-PPPoE mode been corrupted by the double-save?

-- Barubary

Angarwaen
Jan 29, 2003, 04:33 PM
my friend has broadband and she didn't get corrupted but right after the double save she got fsod and lost all she had on her, including everything that was equiped. I also have broadband and have never had any problems since the game came out but over the past week I have gotten booted at least 15 times. So I'm guessing that chances are it's affecting bba users but I don't personally know of anyone who has lost characters.