PDA

View Full Version : Missing old PSO and about to buy an old system to play.

Ambrai
Aug 9, 2008, 12:10 AM
Since I haven't been following the state of things, which system should I buy, or should I look into BlueBurst? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 9, 2008, 12:18 AM
Offline: GC or Xbox.

Online: BB Private servers.

Rundown: GC can still go onto private servers, Xbox can't, however there's still fun to be had in PSOX. BB would be easier, however, you'll have to find the download "somewhere else".

Nisoth
Aug 9, 2008, 09:33 AM
BB is also completely free.

SilverShadow117
Aug 9, 2008, 03:26 PM
If you want the most you can get offline get episode 1 and 2 plus for gamecube like me =)

Nitro Vordex
Aug 9, 2008, 05:09 PM
the most would actually be BB, since it has stuff GC doesn't have.

And, yes, BB is free, but only on private servers. Of which we can't discuss names or specifics.

SilverShadow117
Aug 9, 2008, 05:21 PM
the most would actually be BB, since it has stuff GC doesn't have.

And, yes, BB is free, but only on private servers. Of which we can't discuss names or specifics.

I said offline, is BB offline?

Nitro Vordex
Aug 9, 2008, 05:28 PM
Ah, I didn't see the offline part. My bad. ^^;

Frog
Aug 18, 2008, 04:35 PM
Since I haven't been following the state of things, which system should I buy, or should I look into BlueBurst? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
If you wanna play offline buy a Nintendo Wii and a good 1000 block memory card. Then get PSO Episodes 1&2 Plus(more missions than standard). Then you can play the heck out of it and eventually pick up Monster Hunter 3 when hits Wii.

TsukasaDCX
Aug 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
but theres also Dreamcastv2

which has:
Increased difficulty
Longer Tech ranges
Infinite material consumption
Some DC only quests

Nitro Vordex
Aug 18, 2008, 07:01 PM
If you wanna play offline buy a Nintendo Wii and a good 1000 block memory card. Then get PSO Episodes 1&2 Plus(more missions than standard). Then you can play the heck out of it and eventually pick up Monster Hunter 3 when hits Wii.
Just get like a 2x card, he doesn't need that much memory if he's only playing PSO.

TalHex
Aug 18, 2008, 07:53 PM
yeah but there are plenty of other good games for the gamecube too which he might want to play, like ToS (yay ^^) but thats getting off topic... if you want to get a system PSO get GC and PSO+

if you want to get a PC PSO get BB, while we can't tell you were to get it or what server to join, its probably the easiest to get a hold of

Chuck_Norris
Aug 18, 2008, 08:28 PM
It's also notable that BB has a lot more stuff than the console versions.

Nisoth
Aug 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
It's also notable that BB has a lot more stuff than the console versions.

That's true.
It's a good thing you're not the real Chuck Norris, otherwise your post would roundhouse kick everyone who saw it in the face!

raikomaru40
Aug 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
ver2 for DC, best choice by far

CerusMaximov
Aug 21, 2008, 11:07 AM
I don't remember my original user name on this forum, but I am also returning (IRC nick was MaSaPaKaT, that's all I remember, sorry). I was planning on playing PSU though, thinking that was the most up to date version. Did I make a bad choice?

AlexCraig
Aug 21, 2008, 01:32 PM
Depends. It is nothing like PSO, so don't expect to see familiarity.

CerusMaximov
Aug 21, 2008, 08:15 PM
Depends. It is nothing like PSO, so don't expect to see familiarity.

Ok good thing I checked. Canceled the order. Gonna check other reviews.

PSOBB is no longer working for the U.S., but how long has it been out? I can read Japanese, so I am OK with ordering a Japanese version of something as long as the servers will be up a while. In fact, I prefer it because I am trying to build my vocabulary for the proficiency test in December anyway...

AlexCraig
Aug 21, 2008, 08:26 PM
Well, the JPBB servers are still up. And there are those which cannot be spoken of here. But since you want to build your vocabulary, I'd go with JPBB. You can find them on their official site (of which, I lack a link, sorry).

CerusMaximov
Aug 21, 2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I was wondering why PSU wasn't linked from the JP page, but I understand now. I'm weighing my options. I did notice you could download PSOBB for free. Seems to me you should just need a hunters license after that and hopefully you're not required to purchase a serial number...

Are there a good number of English speaking players that play there?

I'll give it a try, thanks ^^

AlexCraig
Aug 21, 2008, 08:53 PM
I don't play officially, so I wouldn't know.

Seira7
Aug 21, 2008, 11:55 PM
If you want to play on a console and care about graphics, play pso + on a Wii with component cables. It doesnt quite make the grade on my hdtv, but on my crt it rivals and probably outdoes the xbox version. I still play offline pso, been playing it ever since the dc release. Thats how fun it is. To get my online fix I do visit the BB servers time to time but I like playing PSO on a console
and offline can be pretty fun too legit. I have a huge stable of cool weapons, some even with good percents, playing 100% legit. Of course I miss human contact, and have an unnaturally close releationship with my Sato o.O

kevlar_pso
Aug 26, 2008, 12:41 PM
yeah but there are plenty of other good games for the gamecube too which he might want to play, like ToS (yay ^^) but thats getting off topic... if you want to get a system PSO get GC and PSO+

if you want to get a PC PSO get BB, while we can't tell you were to get it or what server to join, its probably the easiest to get a hold of

ToS? Terms of Service? l0l I know that is not what that is, but that is what popped into my head. I am really tired btw. So, what is ToS anyways?

To get back on topic, Xbox version is tops in my book. You can store 12 characters per block(there are four blocks, do the math) and not have to deal with memory cards. Unless you make new characters on one of the other three blocks that is. That is if you are going to play a lot by yourself or a lot of split screen. If you want to play on line go with GCN or BB versions of the game. You can get online with them, but you have to ask google how.

Jaspaller
Aug 26, 2008, 01:20 PM
ToS = Tales of Symphonia

Get a 360 already kev!

kevlar_pso
Aug 26, 2008, 05:25 PM
l0l No1 defends the Xbox version. Why does it always have to be me?

Freeze
Aug 26, 2008, 07:45 PM
I think its cause you're the only one left playing it since the servers went down and when most people sugest a system they include online ability which sadly the xbox is not. Even I have been forced on to BB now that V2 can no longer connect to THE Server. For offline even plus is a better choice simply because it includes some online quests. Don't get me wrong, I love psox but I admit unless I'm playing multimode I haven't touched it.

Jaspaller
Aug 26, 2008, 08:42 PM
This is true. I recommend GCN and see it as better due to the fact that Freeze pointed out... the online portion of it. If xbox was able to get on over there as well then for sure I would say xbox > all, but it can't. To be honest I haven't touched my xbox since the date that the servers were supposed to go down and likely won't be any time soon.

Freeze, I'll need to get your card sometime if you play BB now.

AlexCraig
Aug 26, 2008, 08:46 PM
I second that. Maybe I'll get in touch with you later about getting your GC.

Heh, most of my GC's are from PSOW.

Freeze
Aug 26, 2008, 09:52 PM
I knew you guys would be after my GC pretty quick, that's good. It'll be Saturday before I get on so hopefully I'll catch you then.

Jaspaller
Aug 26, 2008, 09:57 PM
Haha, I'll try to make a note to remember, but I am forgetful and sleep alot on the weekends.

AlexCraig
Aug 26, 2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah, same here. But I will likely be on on Saturday.

Heh, might be spaced, though, if Julie is on PSOW then XDD

Freeze
Aug 26, 2008, 10:08 PM
I'll send you guys PM reminders but we all know if Julie is on:

Alexcraig MIA

AlexCraig
Aug 26, 2008, 10:09 PM
XDDD Yeah. It happens. But since I got the new computer, BB runs faster and better when I have other programs up. So I could, in theory, be on BB and chat with Julie at the same time. Could work, but I'll be distracted by both XDD

Freeze
Aug 26, 2008, 10:18 PM
This seems to be getting a little off topic, maybe we should stop before one of the mods show up. Oh wait...

AlexCraig
Aug 26, 2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah, now's a good place to get back on-topic. The conversation we began can continue in the HG if needed.