PDA

View Full Version : Woot the USA swim team owns.

eXo
Aug 11, 2008, 02:05 AM
That was awesome especially since the french guy that got beaten at the end was on record as saying that he was going to crush the americans. The last like 25 meters became a dogfight ... we all know how the french feel about conflict which explains why they lost.

CelestialBlade
Aug 11, 2008, 03:03 AM
That was so awesome seeing the guys get the 4x1 relay record :D Go USA!

Leviathan
Aug 11, 2008, 03:33 PM
Ahhhh. It was amazing.

BEST. FINISH. EVER!

Lol, Michael Phelps makes a great cheerleader.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 11, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm more than anything glad that Phelps shut up the trash talkers. I just love to see trash talkers lose like that, best way to shut them up.

CelestialBlade
Aug 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
Made even better from how laid-back and cool Phelps is.

TheOneHero
Aug 11, 2008, 03:48 PM
Just shows you don't screw with America, unless America is screwing you.

The race was flippin' awesome.

Thalui89
Aug 11, 2008, 04:24 PM
Course the UK did mighty fine in the womens swimming, one gold medal and a bronze from it. 2 britons on the same podium. Thats impressive ;P. Ofcourse I'm bias :P

BlackRose
Aug 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
It is a pretty amazing thing, and not just the efforts of the american athletes. Swimming is an extremely difficult sport; I would bet that the average person would be hard pressed to stay afloat for 30 minutes. They say that Phelps swims for four hours every day; and movement through water is extremely inefficient. These people work like no others can, and sometimes it's still not enough to be the best. I watched the swim trials here in Omaha, and saw seven people each time go home with nothing to show, despite this herculean effort. Just makes me realize all the more just what those medals mean... to me they're worth more than an oscar, a grammy, and I would say even a medal of honor.

The best in the world.

CelestialBlade
Aug 15, 2008, 12:32 AM
Slightly unrelated but I didn't want to make a whole new topic just for this:

GO USA GIRL'S GYMNASTICS. Nastia and Shawn deserved to finish 1-2 and they did it in amazing fashion, even with the judges trying to screw them out of it. Take that, China.

TheOneHero
Aug 15, 2008, 01:38 AM
Especially since the Chinese were under-age. =/

eXo
Aug 15, 2008, 09:32 PM
Man I swear that one chineses girl He something has to be like no older then 12 years old but they are passing her off as 16 :smile: it kinda makes me question at what age are they considered adults !!!

Nitro Vordex
Aug 15, 2008, 09:37 PM
Are they REALLY 12? Or is that "just how they look"?

Hell, even if they're 12, I give 'em mad props for what they can do.

TheOneHero
Aug 15, 2008, 09:41 PM
Are they REALLY 12? Or is that "just how they look"?

Hell, even if they're 12, I give 'em mad props for what they can do.

"According to the passports issued by their government, they are old enough to compete." Which is what everyone's been saying for awhile.

One is easily old enough, another is "eh...maybe", the smallest one still has the kid look in her face. (Yeah I know, Asian girls generally look younger than what they are.) But this girl, there's no way she's 16 or turning 16 this year. (As the rules require for these events.)

McLaughlin
Aug 15, 2008, 10:02 PM
I hate most of the Canadian athletes.

"So, are you happy with your performance?"

"Well, I broke my personal best record, so I'd say I'm happy with my performance."

Well, it's great you bested yourself. Too bad you came in eleventh place.

None of them strive to win. I don't think we'll ever do well unless we start rewarding our athletes for medalling like other countries do.

CelestialBlade
Aug 15, 2008, 11:48 PM
One of the girls on the Chinese team was confirmed to be 12, she participated in a Junior competition about a month ago.

Leviathan
Aug 16, 2008, 12:12 AM
I wonder how Phelps is in real life.

In other news: Men's USA volleyball team is pretty tough. Whenever the served it usually hit a guy from China &they fell over.

BlackRose
Aug 16, 2008, 12:13 AM
One of the girls on the Chinese team was confirmed to be 12, she participated in a Junior competition about a month ago.

I fail to see how that makes them suck...

Though for shame chinese management team for breaking rules. Even though it seems like the rules you broke would make it more difficult to win. I quizzically scratch my head at you.

CelestialBlade
Aug 16, 2008, 12:28 AM
I fail to see how that makes them suck...

Though for shame chinese management team for breaking rules. Even though it seems like the rules you broke would make it more difficult to win. I quizzically scratch my head at you.
Never said it did. But the rule states that all participants must be age 16 or older and I really must shake my head at the olympic committee when this infraction is so painfully obvious.

The girls deserved the team gold medal they got, don't get me wrong. They performed incredibly well. I'd just like to see the rules followed a little better by all parties to blame.

Kylie
Aug 16, 2008, 12:37 AM
Marry me Michael Phelps. :innocent:

Go Team America!

Ceresa
Aug 16, 2008, 12:49 AM
I hate most of the Canadian athletes.

"So, are you happy with your performance?"

"Well, I broke my personal best record, so I'd say I'm happy with my performance."

Well, it's great you bested yourself. Too bad you came in eleventh place.

None of them strive to win. I don't think we'll ever do well unless we start rewarding our athletes for medalling like other countries do.

Nice support for your team there, don't see you stepping up though so maybe you should cut him some fucking slack? Beating your own time and seeing your own improvement is always something to be proud of, whether it's first or last place.

Really what you want him to say, a tearful apology to Canada for "letting you down"? Endless excuses and make Canadians look like sore losers?

Nitro Vordex
Aug 16, 2008, 12:56 AM
The Olympics really isn't the place to "beat your personal best".

eXo
Aug 16, 2008, 01:03 AM
"According to the passports issued by their government, they are old enough to compete." Which is what everyone's been saying for awhile.

One is easily old enough, another is "eh...maybe", the smallest one still has the kid look in her face. (Yeah I know, Asian girls generally look younger than what they are.) But this girl, there's no way she's 16 or turning 16 this year. (As the rules require for these events.)

Yea but their passports from like 2 years ago had them listed as like age 11 or something according to alot of the sports analyst. And china is claiming that it was all just an big misunderstanding hmmm either way they were good and deserve to win.

Go Team America!

So do you really want to become a mermaid because clearly that guy isnt human and swimming like that ....

CelestialBlade
Aug 16, 2008, 01:13 AM

Go Team America!
I will fight you for him D:

eXo
Aug 16, 2008, 01:20 AM

OMG did you see that little tribute to him they should him at age 4 he had speedos and almost the exact same goggles except he got the first pair off of the ice cream truck and his new ones are made by Nike.

McLaughlin
Aug 16, 2008, 02:17 AM
Nice support for your team there, don't see you stepping up though so maybe you should cut him some fucking slack? Beating your own time and seeing your own improvement is always something to be proud of, whether it's first or last place.

Really what you want him to say, a tearful apology to Canada for "letting you down"? Endless excuses and make Canadians look like sore losers?

You shouldn't be there to best yourself. You're there to represent your country and win. When you lose and just go "I beat my personal record and that's all that counts! ^_^" like some grade-schooler at the school track and field meet, you're essentially taking pride in the fact that you lost.

The Olympics isn't really the right place to be improving. There's no participation ribbon at the Olympics. We lose over and over, but the athletes don't care. So pardon me if I don't root for people who couldn't care less about how they're making my country look bad.

I'll cheer for Canada when Canada gives me a reason to.

EDIT: To iterate my point, Canada has a grand total of 0 medals. I'd go look up how many events we even could have medalled in, but my internet's borked right now.

EDIT 2: Thanks to David Calder and Scott Frandsen for earning Canada's first medal (Silver).

Dgo
Aug 16, 2008, 06:22 AM
Phelps should legally change his name to aquaman.

Kylie
Aug 16, 2008, 12:46 PM
To the death! There are better looking guys out there, but a guy with accomplishments like that... Rawr. He'd probably want to get married underwater, but it doesn't even matter to me. ;3

Dgo
Aug 16, 2008, 12:48 PM
To the death! There are better looking guys out there, but a guy with accomplishments like that... Rawr. He'd probably want to get married underwater, but it doesn't even matter to me. ;3

WTF ha ha ha ha I psml when i read that response.

BlackRose
Aug 17, 2008, 01:59 AM
Incidentally, the 400 relay was tonight. Phelps won his eighth gold and set his seventh world record. That's history, that is.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 17, 2008, 02:07 AM
I wonder if anyone finds that...suspicious?

inb4flaming.

SStrikerR
Aug 17, 2008, 08:46 AM
Nitro, you should solve that mystery.

Solstis
Aug 17, 2008, 11:22 AM
I wonder if anyone finds that...suspicious?

inb4flaming.

Goodness, you must be bored.

Phelps is built for swimming. People that use steroids tend to make poor swimmers. It's not baseball. You're not hitting a ball as hard as you can with a stick. It's a more graceful sport. Technique and whatnot.

McLaughlin
Aug 17, 2008, 01:01 PM
Phelps has more Gold Medals than every country barring the top three (of which, he belongs to the USA).

On an unrelated note, Canada ranks 25th in the medal standings.

Kylie
Aug 17, 2008, 01:04 PM
Again, go team American! ...FREAK YEAH!

Nitro Vordex
Aug 17, 2008, 04:38 PM
Nitro, you should solve that mystery.
Quick, book me some flights to China, a language CD from Rosetta Stone, and an important lady friend. :wacko:

Thalui89
Aug 17, 2008, 04:41 PM
I feel nauseous after reading all this -.-''

Dgo
Aug 18, 2008, 12:09 AM
Micheal phelps owns

CelestialBlade
Aug 18, 2008, 01:02 AM
http://www.videobeta.net/gifs/10308.gif

BlackRose
Aug 18, 2008, 01:11 AM
So badass, he can change vegeta into goku?

TheOneHero
Aug 18, 2008, 02:15 AM
Despite how awesome that is, it'd be totally cool if there was something more to the post. Otherwise, y'know, you'd think this is PSU General.

(When I first saw Phelps react like that, I thought DBZ too.)

Nitro Vordex
Aug 18, 2008, 02:29 AM
Well, he did seem to flex his entire upper half of his body.