PDA

View Full Version : Forum etiquette: "bumping yourself" ?

RufuSwho
Aug 13, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm fairly new to the forum world.

my first few days I started some xxx vs. xxx posts. That didn't go over too well.

Recently, I've been seeing this "bump myself" disclaimer. "I don't mean to bump myself, but..."

I'm guessing this refers to posting on your own thread so that it stay in the "New posts" list.

So, uh...?

Is it ok to reply to other people in your own thread? Or does "bumping" refer to something else entirely?

I've been PM'ing people my replies to aviod this. Is that the standard?

Thanks for the advice.

Jaspaller
Aug 13, 2008, 01:54 PM
lolwut is this a joke topic?

Bumping isn't just for a topic you have created, it's more or less for ANY topic (be it yours, mine, the mods etc.). It's purely for bringing a topic up to the new posts list.

To quote wikipedia

To bump a thread on an Internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads. Bump stands for "Bring Up My Post".

Splash
Aug 13, 2008, 01:58 PM
Another forum etiquette is to put topics in the right place. Namely this should have been in the off-topic section or something.

Kylie
Aug 13, 2008, 02:43 PM
Bumping is like saying your thread is more important than others, so it's fine to post in your own threads as long as you have something to add and aren't just trying to get people to notice your thread. Just be fair to other posters.

It's also bringing back old threads that should be dead, which is bad because the posts could be outdated, etc.

Xefi
Aug 13, 2008, 03:04 PM
i dont really like making thread myself, but yeah, you
can bump your own topic. Bumping is more useful in
the "Trading Thread," where you need to bring your
trading list up so that others can see what you're trading
sometime.

Other than that, don't abuse the bumping too much just
for your own attention.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
Also add, that say its a topic in Fanworks, your topic.

Adding new information/updates/WIP/story chapter/etc.

You're free to bump it. The bumping limits there are also very lax due to again, WIP or getting back to previous works for edits/changes/reporting news.
-
Bumping things up the list to ask a nonsense ?/add nothing new is what gets flamed or bashed immediately. On topic related things are good. Quoting something to discuss, yes fine.

More personal or direct questions on say a users character or equip/preferences, go to the PMs as you have RufuS. No worries.

UnderscoreX
Aug 14, 2008, 09:02 PM
Bump stands for "Bring Up My Post".
I did not know this.

Commodity
Aug 14, 2008, 09:22 PM
PSOW truly is the pinnacle of civilized people with enough etiquette to spare.