PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty?! Bah!

Aisha379
Aug 16, 2008, 01:49 PM
I got a Jury summons today in the mail.

Unexpected of course, since I was under the impression you only get added to that "pool" when you register to vote (for which I currently have not).

Of course now I know that isn't the case.

On September 12th I have to call some number to confirm if they want me or not, if they do, then on September 15th I have to go to the courthouse at 1:15 PM.

Sure, I like watching Matlock and CSI and playing Phoenix Wright and the such, but that doesn't mean I want Jury duty </3 (and somehow I doubt this will be as interesting as those cases anyway - its only Civil Superior court.)

I'm a generally nervous and pretty easily bored person to begin with, so I'm not looking forward to this at all.

The good news is, If I get picked, I don't have to come back for another 3 years and I get a WHOPPING AMOUNT OF TWELVE DOLLARS A DAY! (though I hope its one of those super short no brainer trials that won't last more than a few hours.)

Stupid law system. If everyone wasn't so busy suing each other over stupid stuff I wouldn't have to have my schedule interrupted and being nervous for a whole month.

I should sue the plaintiff over their suing =(

CelestialBlade
Aug 16, 2008, 01:54 PM
It's really easy to get out of it if you're a student. I really hate how they structure the entire thing, it's like randomly they can say HAY PUT ASIDE EVERYTHING AND COME WASTE THREE HOURS SITTING IN A ROOM.

Kylie
Aug 16, 2008, 01:54 PM
Unexpected of course, since I was under the impression you only get added to that "pool" when you register to vote (for which I currently have not)./total myth

I was summoned once, but I got out of it because I knew the prosecutor's son. :wacko:

Randomness
Aug 16, 2008, 01:55 PM
12 dollars/day? I wonder how much a congressman makes in a day. Since its the same principle, being paid for your time serving the country, etc.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 16, 2008, 01:56 PM
12 dollars a day is a ripoff indeed. 12 dollars AN HOUR, on the other hand...

McLaughlin
Aug 16, 2008, 02:00 PM
Lie and tell them you're a teacher. They never pick teachers.

I would think a Civil case would only last a few days at most. You don't have all the procedural testimony that goes along with a Criminal case. In either case, I don't think you stand a great chance at being picked anyway.

As for being picked, they pick out of a number of different pools. If you have a driver's license, they could have found you there. Being a registered voter isn't the only way to get nailed.

Aisha379
Aug 16, 2008, 02:24 PM
It's really easy to get out of it if you're a student. I really hate how they structure the entire thing, it's like randomly they can say HAY PUT ASIDE EVERYTHING AND COME WASTE THREE HOURS SITTING IN A ROOM.

Sadly, a student I am not.

I do agree the whole system for picking people seems kinda dumb though...

I was summoned once, but I got out of it because I knew the prosecutor's son.

You spoiled brat ='(

12 dollars a day is a ripoff indeed. 12 dollars AN HOUR, on the other hand...

The funny (by which I mean - not funny) thing is, I work with my dad, and I bet he'll probably need me that day, and I make around $25 an hour working with him. So no matter how you slice this, the Jury Duty thing is full of fail.

In either case, I don't think you stand a great chance at being picked anyway.

Why do you say that?

Because of my age? I'll be 20 when its time (burfday is next week).

However I do remember my parents saying they never saw anyone as young as me when they were picked for jury duty. I honestly dunno exactly how they decide to weed people out though...maybe if I answer the lawyers questions in disturbing ways they'll want me out >_>

"Do you believe drunk drivers should be put into prison for UNFAIR amounts of time?"

"Of course not."

"Good, then-"

"They should be sold as slaves to peoples property they damage and then PUT TO DEATH when the debt is repaid!"

Hmm...

I'll have to keep thinking on that.

As for being picked, they pick out of a number of different pools. If you have a driver's license, they could have found you there. Being a registered voter isn't the only way to get nailed.

Yeah, my mom told me that today. Stupid drivers license...

It seems like every privilege comes at the cost of a freedom or a convinence.

Weeaboolits
Aug 16, 2008, 04:08 PM
I got summoned a bit back, got excused due to an important medical appointment, but got summoned again, I guess because I didn't make it past jury selectuion the first time. :/

Shadowpawn
Aug 16, 2008, 05:36 PM
Jury duty is a joke. I was summoned once and never showed up. That was the last time I've been ever called for it.

McLaughlin
Aug 16, 2008, 06:06 PM
Attorneys are very picky about their jury members. If either one thinks you might be too sympathetic towards the other side, they can have you excluded uncontested. Each lawyer gets a certain number of those uncontested exclusions (I can't remember the name now. I learned this back in April >_>).

They exclude people for a plethora of reasons. Being young, one lawyer might think you're too opinionated. I've no idea why they always exclude teachers though. My Law teacher's wife (also a teacher) has been summoned three times, and each time they ask her what her job is, and "teacher" comes out, one votes to dismiss and the other agrees.

Sidney
Aug 16, 2008, 06:27 PM
You know what's sad? Over here, when you do jury duty, you end up in the hole! The parking costs way more than the money reimbursement. xD

I'm really sorry you've been picked! That stinks. I hope if you get chosen to be on the jury, that you at least get an exciting case!

Aisha379
Aug 16, 2008, 07:19 PM
Jury duty is a joke. I was summoned once and never showed up. That was the last time I've been ever called for it.

And you never got called or anything? Weird. Supposedly ignoring Jury Duty gets you arrested...=S

I don't wanna push my luck though (and I know my parents wouldn't let me anyway)

Attorneys are very picky about their jury members. If either one thinks you might be too sympathetic towards the other side, they can have you excluded uncontested. Each lawyer gets a certain number of those uncontested exclusions (I can't remember the name now. I learned this back in April >_>).

They exclude people for a plethora of reasons. Being young, one lawyer might think you're too opinionated. I've no idea why they always exclude teachers though. My Law teacher's wife (also a teacher) has been summoned three times, and each time they ask her what her job is, and "teacher" comes out, one votes to dismiss and the other agrees.

Yeah I know what you're talking about. Was just wondering why you thought I specifically have very little chance of getting picked.

Well, I most certainly am opinionated...hm. Must find way to turn this against the system...

Would they even kick me out (for lack of a better phrase) over something like that in a mere civil court though?

You know what's sad? Over here, when you do jury duty, you end up in the hole! The parking costs way more than the money reimbursement. xD

I think (hope?) the parking is free here.

If not, theres a public library RIGHT across the street. All else fails I can just park there and walk for thirty seconds...

I'm really sorry you've been picked! That stinks. I hope if you get chosen to be on the jury, that you at least get an exciting case!

I thought that at first, but I'm thinking the more exciting the case, the longer it'll take, and I'd rather have it over with as soon as possible >_>

I'm annoyed because I have a vacation to the beach next week, and stuff like this always clings to my mind until its over with...*grumbles* wish I could have gotten the letter after I got back from the beach...oh well. I'll just try to not worry about it for now...

afterthoughtz
Aug 16, 2008, 07:40 PM
FOOL PROOF WAY TO GET OUT OF JURY DUTY.....
"I'm sorry, i have leporsy" lol

McLaughlin
Aug 16, 2008, 07:52 PM
You'd be surprised at the thought process of an attorney when picking jurors. They'll do anything to stack the odds in their (client's) favor.

Statistically speaking your odds of being picked are lower than your odds of not being picked, because they only need twelve people out of the thirty or more (can't remember that number either >_>) they summon.

Sidney
Aug 16, 2008, 07:56 PM
True about the exciting cases... although when my dad got a very interesting trial, he said it was a breath of fresh air after all the traffic cases he got assigned to when he had to do jury duty in the past! :lol:

Nai_Calus
Aug 16, 2008, 08:13 PM
I got called for jury duty once. I was there about 10 minutes before someone came and told me I could leave.

...My dad was the defense attorney.

Of course, dad has me beaten on awesome fool-proof ways to get out of jury duty.

Dad was once summoned to jury duty.

For a trial dad was the defense attorney in.

afterthoughtz
Aug 16, 2008, 08:16 PM
I got called for jury duty once. I was there about 10 minutes before someone came and told me I could leave.

...My dad was the defense attorney.

Of course, dad has me beaten on awesome fool-proof ways to get out of jury duty.

Hahaha that would be awesome, defend the guy, then get up to walk out with the jury, judge is like "where you going" oh i'm going to go make my decision know, didnt you know, i'm on jury call today.....awsomeness!!

NPCMook
Aug 16, 2008, 08:41 PM
When I had to go is was 7 dollars an hour, and if you were picked $40/Day.

I had to call in every night for the week to see if I was selected, to show up to the Jury Selection part...

A simple way to get out of Jury duty is to play the racist card, sometimes simply preforming the Nazi Salute is good enough, if not follow up with a few Slurs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_Slurs)

Shadowpawn
Aug 16, 2008, 08:47 PM
And you never got called or anything? Weird. Supposedly ignoring Jury Duty gets you arrested...=S

Actually you get a fine, but I got neither. Maybe because I was 19 at the time and was still enrolled at college (before telling them that I wanted to withdraw). That may be the reason no one bothered to call me back. The funny thing is I never got a summons for jury duty again.

NPCMook
Aug 16, 2008, 08:53 PM
Actually you get a fine, but I got neither. Maybe because I was 19 at the time and was still enrolled at college (before telling them that I wanted to withdraw). That may be the reason no one bothered to call me back. The funny thing is I never got a summons for jury duty again.

Technically in Texas, if you don't show up for Jury Duty, you waive your right for a trial by jury

Kent
Aug 16, 2008, 09:21 PM
I got a Jury Duty... thing in the mail recently, too.

The great part is that they want me for weeks encompassing not only my final two weeks of class, but also my graduation date. So... Yeah.

A former teacher of mine sent me this link (http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Out-of-Jury-Duty) when he heard about it; I've yet to look into it, but I plan on following the instructions on the Jury Duty letter I was sent in the first place - attach a letter containing any further information that may lead to you being unable to serve on a jury.

Aisha379
Aug 16, 2008, 10:21 PM

That is so hilariously great.

I mean seriously, considering the jury selection is (supposedly) computerized, what are the chances of that?

It seems the penalties vary from state to state and specific instances. At least according to the article Kent linked :

"Never ignore a call for jury duty. Failure to attend jury duty can result in fines, suspension of a driver’s license, or in some cases, criminal charges."

And maybe you haven't been called back because after serving Jury duty, you cannot be called again for at least 3 years...I dunno. I doubt you're completely out of the woods forever though =S

I got a Jury Duty... thing in the mail recently, too.

The great part is that they want me for weeks encompassing not only my final two weeks of class, but also my graduation date. So... Yeah.

A former teacher of mine sent me this link when he heard about it; I've yet to look into it, but I plan on following the instructions on the Jury Duty letter I was sent in the first place - attach a letter containing any further information that may lead to you being unable to serve on a jury.

Interesting link. Except for when I look under the "Warnings" bit:

NOTE: Doing some of the things mentioned here may get you jail time and possibly a criminal record. Proceed at your own risk.

Not much of a morale booster there =X

I guess my best bet is to act stubborn...

I hope your jury duty also goes well though.