PDA

View Full Version : How to detect an Internet Troll / Forum Troll

Dgo
Aug 16, 2008, 04:39 PM
"Netiquette Guidelines"

What is an Internet Troll/ Forum troll?

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

A classic PSOW troll is someone trying to make us believe that he or she is a genuine skeptic with no hidden agenda. He or she is divisive and argumentative with a need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. Troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them.

While sometimes, he may sound like a stupid, uninformed, ignorant poster, do not be deceived! Most trolls attempt to appear highly intelligent people trying to hide behind a mask of stupidity and/or ignorance! They usually have a dictionary and spell check handy and have an agenda. Very few trolls come to PSO-World out of pure skepticism.

A PSOW Troll is generally a person who is extremely skeptical of the main forum subject.
He is generally interested to make other forum members look stupid. A troll will sometimes use insults to provoke other people to insult him. Then, he/she will complain to moderators of being insulted and will request that his opponents get banned or their post locked from further discussion.

It is generally very easy to troll any one of several hundreds of support forums on PSOW. As the majority of support forums on PSO-World are about alternatives to games and events , all you have to do to start a flaming thread [b]questioning the main subject of discussion and to provoke insults from hard core proponents. It has been done every few weeks. It is strictly against our PSOW rules!

Initiating nagective debates on support forums is strictly against the rules.

PSOW has plenty of debate forums forums space in the FKL where those interested in questioning can have free rain.

Even debate forums on on PSOW such as FKL can be trolled by name calling and by provoking name calling. Those trolls are quickly banned from PSOW.

He (and in 90% of cases it is he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Sometimes, he is skeptical, trying to scare people, trying to plant fear in their hearts. Many PSOW trolls are people trying to promote their own stature / Epeen agenda through fear and troll mongering.

For many trolls, lack of hard evidence about any subject equals "DANGER". He will try to rally support scare people from even trying to post the just because there is no hard evidence that what they are saying is true.

[i] Sometimes, Internet troll is trying to spin conflicting information, is questioning in an insincere manner, flaming discussion, insulting people, turning people against each other, harassing forum members, ignoring warnings from forum moderators.

Trolling is a form of harassment that can take over a discussion. Well meaning defenders can create chaos by responding to trolls. The best response is to Ignore it, or to report a message to a forum moderator. PSO-World moderators usually delete troll messages or block trolls. Negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash. When trolls are ignored they step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and more foul, and they post ever more of them.

Alternatively, they may protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed.

Perhaps the most difficult challenge for a webmaster is deciding whether to take steps against a troll that a few people find entertaining. Some trolls do have a creative spark and have chosen to squander it on being disruptive. There is a certain perverse pleasure in watching some of them. Ultimately, though, the webmaster has to decide if the troll actually cares about putting on a good show for the regular participants, or is simply playing to an audience of one -- himself.

Next time you are on a message board and you see a post by somebody whom you think is a troll, and you feel you must reply, simply write a follow-up message entitled "Troll Alert" and type only this:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction and not to respond to trolling messages. It is well known that most people don't read messages that nobody responds to, while 99% of forum visitors first read the longest and the largest threads with the most answers.

* Troll Message is an outrageous message posted to a message board, newsgroup or mailing list to bait people to answer.

Trolls of Scandinavian Mythology: another Troll, internet troll & forum troll Once upon a time, evil dwarfs were living in hills, forests and mounds. They were stumpy, misshapen, humpbacked, with a long nose, long hair and a long tail. Trolls were inclined to thieving, and fond of carrying off children. They would substitute one of their own offspring for that of a human mother. They were called "hill-people", and they were especially averse to noise, from a recollection of the time when god Thor used to fling his hammer after them. Not all trolls were evil!. Some trolls were helping people. Some trolls were only playing games. But, evil trolls were the one that kids were most afraid of. Some trolls were small, other were giants.

Please keep in mind that this is not a direct attack or directed toward anyone one member of the PSO-World community however I have a vast interest in keeping this site users friendly therefore I am providing you guys with information to help us prevent future incidents i strongly encourage everyone to watch out for this behavior and follow the steps to help reduce it on PSOW

Retehi
Aug 16, 2008, 04:42 PM
This doesn't bode well. <_<

Xefi
Aug 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
nice info., i will keep those in mind.

Out_Kast
Aug 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
How to detect an Internet Troll / Forum Troll (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=14325)

Done.

Zantra
Aug 16, 2008, 04:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that FKL is now read only...

So... yeah.

Off-Topic has become the new FKL. Unfortunately.

Dgo
Aug 16, 2008, 04:47 PM
This doesn't bode well. <_<

Why not this isnt directed toward anyone or any one thing in paticular i am posting this because I am attempting to generate a discussion of whats considered posting versus trolling and so fourth.

I spent along time writing this and giving my opinion I do not see why anyone should be offended i also do not find anything offensive about me supplying information to my fellow PSOW members.

Toadthroat
Aug 16, 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that FKL is now read only...

So... yeah.

Off-Topic has become the new FKL. Unfortunately.

No, you can still post in FKL.
But...What? You got something against FKL?

Dgo
Aug 16, 2008, 04:51 PM
nice info., i will keep those in mind.

No problem glad that i was able to help :smile:

How to detect an Internet Troll / Forum Troll (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=14325)

Done.

That's not very nice :sad: and I actually posted this out of legitimate concern for the forums that i love so much if this simply discourages the negative behavior of any PSOW member a 8 year veteran or a 2 week rookie then it has served it's purpose in my opinion.

AlexCraig
Aug 16, 2008, 04:54 PM
But all it is doing is inciting problems. Stop this now.

Out_Kast
Aug 16, 2008, 04:54 PM
That's not very nice :sad: and I actually posted this out of legitimate concern for the forums that i love so much if this simply discourages the negative behavior of any PSOW member a 8 year veteran or a 2 week rookie then it has served it's purpose in my opinion.
I just think you should give the Anti-Troll business a rest. If you want this whole business to calm down, you've got to let the flames die a little, ya know what I mean?

Dhylec
Aug 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
It's nice for posting part of the rules, but I believe this is readily available from the link at the top. So, this is bordering FKL-material.

If anyone is upset with someone here, I suggest take your time away from the forums & cool off. Otherwise, stronger measures will have to be enforced when things deteriorate to personal feuds.