PDA

View Full Version : Child and Mother

Sayara
Aug 16, 2008, 10:40 PM
I pondered about this. As i stocked up produce items on the shelves.

Parents and their kids. A couple goes by, kid on the cart and tilts it, the father sternly says don't do it again. Now Ok, that makes sense, its dangerous to do that and the stern response signifys the dad means business and is ensuring her safety.

Another couple come by, the kid is very curious.
DONT TOUCH THAT
DONT ASK ME AGAIN
DONT TOUCH THAT.

The boy asks me about the new scales we got (it prints labels for easy scanning) the mother is very quick to DONT ASK THAT. But i explain anyway. I mean it is my job to do so.

I am sort of bothered that night. All the kids and parents don't get along together, scolding, fighting, crying and stuff.

Then this one pair comes in. Mother and Daughter. Laughing, playing around, shopping casually having a great time. The girl is maybe 9. They're parent and child. In total harmony. Something i've never seen for the longest time here at work.

That night i smile to myself knowing that parents and their children are still able to be together without problems, without arguemtns and without any uneeded drama. Sure it happens but still mother and child is the closest bond there is and it should never be severed. I think so, when i grow old I'll be happy to know that when my Mom and Dad pass away it'll be on good terms. And i wish for my children to feel the same for me.

CelestialBlade
Aug 16, 2008, 10:45 PM
There are people that make good parents and there are people that suck at parenting. Usually speaks volumes about the person in and of themself.

Parenting is a big freaking deal, people want to just jump in, have sex and get a bunch of kids as a status symbol. Then they realize how difficult raising a human being is. It's a full-time job. I really wish more people would consider that before deciding to become a parent, I feel so sorry for so many children these days.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 17, 2008, 12:12 AM
I agree with you Ty. I get bashed by my mom's friend's friends for being single at age 22 and trying to get an education and a good job and finding the right person for me before getting married and having kids. They're saying that 22 is a late age for having kids, but I say that I'm not ready to have kids, and it's for that very reason, I just don't think I'm ready to have kids and I know that I'll suck at parenting if I were to have kids right now. I wish more people thought things through before going to the deep end.

Leviathan
Aug 17, 2008, 12:17 AM
It's always nice to see parenting going well. It's usually a kid crying when they don't get a toy/game/ice cream.

Shiro: You're mom's friend is weird. Why would anyone wish that they have a child at 22 &then telling them they are old. What exactly in her perspective is the "Right age"?

CelestialBlade
Aug 17, 2008, 12:46 AM
22 is late? Not in my book. If you want to actually make something of your life, you wouldn't be raising a kid that early :P

The longer you wait (to an extent), the more of a stable environment you're building for your child. Before 30 is usually a safe bet, so 25-30 is the optimum range in my opinion.

UnderscoreX
Aug 17, 2008, 01:12 AM
Kids aren't always exactly planed. You should all do as Lil Wayne says "Safe sex is great sex, always wear a latex. Cause you don't want that late txt... saying "I'm late, Tex"

BlackRose
Aug 17, 2008, 01:17 AM
Things can swing the other way as well, being overly doting and caring. In many ways that can be just as harmful when the kid grows up. Stability and harmony are good goals, but it's important for children to learn to deal with problems as they arise. Learn to be pissed or sad, and that life goes on anyway. But then again, kids really don't know what to do most of the time.

It also bothers me when people have kids without considering (or seeming to consider) the financial burden involved. Many good parents and good kids are stuck with the circumstances and in a hole very difficult to get out of. A little harder to feel like it's anyone's fault in this case, because you simply can't account for all the costs associated with raising a child.

Seems like most people are in a good enough place to pull it off around 30. Some earlier, some later. I know I'm not there, and I don't know how I'll get there, but I probably will eventually. Or not.

Solstis
Aug 17, 2008, 11:09 AM
22 is late? Not in my book. If you want to actually make something of your life, you wouldn't be raising a kid that early :P

The longer you wait (to an extent), the more of a stable environment you're building for your child. Before 30 is usually a safe bet, so 25-30 is the optimum range in my opinion.

Har har generalization. My parents pulled it off, and I wouldn't want to personally, but I think they did a pretty good job.

Hum, but yeah, it warms me heart to see parents and children getting along and chatting. That said, I used to get in mini-arguments at the store with my mother all the time, but we got/get along normally.

Out_Kast
Aug 17, 2008, 11:15 AM
My parents are brilliant.
But I've seen more than my fair share of parents who aren't.

It really makes me dread growing up to that stage.

What am I going to be like as a parent?
Will my children ever listen to me?
Will they really see me as someone to look up to, or just someone who restrains.

Hurr. Makes me totally not want to be a parent at all.

Kylie
Aug 17, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well, personalities will clash, and times won't always be good. It's not always simple to see, but I think parents in general should relax and not be as uptight. Don't get onto your kid when it's unnecessary. Of course, I'm sure I'd be a bitch if I was a mother because I'm a perfectionist, and I really don't want kids or one at the most. :/

CelestialBlade
Aug 17, 2008, 01:45 PM
Har har generalization. My parents pulled it off, and I wouldn't want to personally, but I think they did a pretty good job.

Hum, but yeah, it warms me heart to see parents and children getting along and chatting. That said, I used to get in mini-arguments at the store with my mother all the time, but we got/get along normally.
Not saying it can't be done, but given the option, I'd wait.

My biological mom had me against her will when she was 19, her boyfriend ran off on her at the first sight of me, and she couldn't afford to take care of me. She was barely out of high school and barely even supporting herself. For the sake of both of us I was adopted by very good friends of hers. Just, if it were up to me, I'd be waiting.

Gryffin
Aug 18, 2008, 01:31 AM
Yeah, harmony with parents is something to cherish.

I live with an Alcoholic mother and a father who'll take her side on everything, drunk or otherwise. I mean, I know they love me, but they don't understand me, nor do they seem to be trying to.

Like, the other night when I stopped by the house around midnight, to pick a few things up for my friends birthday party.... My Smashed as hell mother, is standing in our driveway, completely zoned out. We park and she goes completely crazy on us, grabbing and shaking people telling them how much she loves them, and then slamming food and cranberry juice and whatnot in their arms, all while they protested, we had explained before we showed up that we just needed to pick up some wiimotes.

It was really kind of embarrassing for me, my friends were all discussing how that was the drunk-est they had seen her, ect. ect... *sigh*

Parents love there kids. ALL parents do... But sometimes in the WORST way.

Raine_Loire
Aug 19, 2008, 04:03 AM
I pondered about this. As i stocked up produce items on the shelves.

Parents and their kids. A couple goes by, kid on the cart and tilts it, the father sternly says don't do it again. Now Ok, that makes sense, its dangerous to do that and the stern response signifys the dad means business and is ensuring her safety.

Another couple come by, the kid is very curious.
DONT TOUCH THAT
DONT ASK ME AGAIN
DONT TOUCH THAT.

The boy asks me about the new scales we got (it prints labels for easy scanning) the mother is very quick to DONT ASK THAT. But i explain anyway. I mean it is my job to do so.

I am sort of bothered that night. All the kids and parents don't get along together, scolding, fighting, crying and stuff.

Then this one pair comes in. Mother and Daughter. Laughing, playing around, shopping casually having a great time. The girl is maybe 9. They're parent and child. In total harmony. Something i've never seen for the longest time here at work.

That night i smile to myself knowing that parents and their children are still able to be together without problems, without arguemtns and without any uneeded drama. Sure it happens but still mother and child is the closest bond there is and it should never be severed. I think so, when i grow old I'll be happy to know that when my Mom and Dad pass away it'll be on good terms. And i wish for my children to feel the same for me.

Well, also, you're seeing people with their kids- not in their natural environment. Some children are really really good in stores. Some are really NOT.

My son is- absolutely the sweetest kid. I am crazy about him. But when we get into stores I have to turn into super-witch, because he doesn't leave stuff alone. I could just record myself saying "no" and "stop that" over and over, and just keep playing it over and over. I'm sure when people see me with him they think "whoa, what a B****!" But I'm NOT! My son and I laugh and play around in the proper environment. In my opinion, a store isn't the proper environment for that.

Also, the kid with all the questions sounds much younger than the happy 9 year old. Relationships change as your kids age. And I yell at my son for talking to people in the store also. No talking to strangers means NO. TALKING. TO. STRANGERS. No matter what. It's a hard hard lesson to get through to him!

I certainly don't think it's an age thing, I was hardly a teenage parent, I had my daughter when I was 21, my son right after I turned 23. I wouldn't change anything, I'm glad to have had them early, actually. Plenty of energy to keep up with them, and when my youngest goes off to college I'll only be early 40s with plenty of life to live and a better perspective on how to live it!

So don't get TOO down on the parents that are having a tough day- they're probably perfectly fine parents, who just want to get home, relax and play with their kids!

Sayara
Aug 19, 2008, 08:32 AM
Yeah, i didn't think about that. Today was a better day with kids/folks though.

Sekani
Aug 19, 2008, 10:15 AM
22 is late?

It's a cultural thing. Mexicans, for example, tend to have children pretty early. It's actually rare to see anyone childless past the age of 21.