PDA

View Full Version : Connection problems (part mine)

Sekani
Aug 21, 2008, 05:37 PM
Sunday, our office was flooded. Apparently some rodent ate through a water line and wrecked half of the bottom floor (where our offices and equipment are). While miraculously most of our equipment stored back there was fully functional other than being really dirty (insert endorsement for HP desktops here), our main router and switches weren't so lucky.

Monday, we had no internet access. Made for a very unproductive day.

Tuesday, we hooked up our switch to a Verizon WWAN modem. Slow internet access was better than none, but it still sucked.

Wednesday, we got a new router. Unfortunately our main lines are still damaged, and we can't replace them until the flood recovery people are done cleaning up the mess back there. So we're borrowing the same internet access used by the small data center we manage. And our traffic doesn't get much priority compared to the massive video streams constantly being uploaded, so everyone is pretty much stuck with dial-up speed for the near future.

Today, it gets worse. The data center firewall (at least I think it's the firewall) decided to block all outgoing connections on port 21. Which means that none of us can connect to any FTP servers, which is not a good thing when you're managing web sites and you have two projects due early next week.

But it's not all bad. At least when I go home, I don't have to worry about getting constantly disconnected from Xbox Live.

McLaughlin
Aug 21, 2008, 11:11 PM
Screw you, good sir. Screw. You.

How the heck did a rodent manage to flood your building. O_o

afterthoughtz
Aug 23, 2008, 02:06 PM
Screw you, good sir. Screw. You.

How the heck did a rodent manage to flood your building. O_o
It was an evil rodent with superior brain capabilities?:-?

Randomness
Aug 23, 2008, 02:56 PM
It was an evil rodent with superior brain capabilities?:-?

Which one, Pinky or Brain?

Tessu
Aug 23, 2008, 05:49 PM
You'd be surprised at how destructive a hamster can be. Just because it's stupid doesn't mean it can't chew through wires with ease.

Anyway, wow, that sucks. I'm sorry man. G'luck with the whole thing <<;

afterthoughtz
Aug 23, 2008, 09:23 PM
Which one, Pinky or Brain?
Wow it has been forever since i seen that show, like years and years....
But ya, it was definently Pinky i'm sure, Brain was to busy plotting world domination lol

Gunslinger-08
Aug 24, 2008, 11:01 AM
Wait, wait. It chewed through a water line? Aren't most water pipes made of steel?

Sekani
Aug 24, 2008, 11:25 AM
Wait, wait. It chewed through a water line? Aren't most water pipes made of steel?

Could've been PVC, not that uncommon in newer buildings.

I guess Pinky and the Brain thought they could take over the world through our electronic billboard project. Maybe they would've fixed all the bugs in the process.