PDA

View Full Version : The life of a pet groomer has come a long way

MrNomad
Aug 28, 2008, 01:02 AM
So this thread is basically a place for me to let loose and vent on my workplace (which can really treat it's workers like crap). There's a lot of vulgarity that i will put down so if you have problems with that, dont read it, k?

Also I wont be using any real names for the people that I work with, so hah!

about 5-6 months ago I was out of a job. At the same time, my pc stopped working, so already the first objective for me after getting a job was a getting a new computer (And I was hoping it would be a top of the line one, but it didnt work out exactly like that). Thats when I applied to a pet store to start as a groomer, since I like pets and wanted to learn how to take better care of them. So began the interview with the Manager at the time, a mister joe blow. He seemed very nice and was happy to have me join the grooming ranks since they were short of help at the time. 2 days later I got to meet the groomers at the salon. Working there was dopey, lazy, steve, and the grooming manager mary. Aside from steve, the rest of the grooming associates were brand new, like me. The first few days consisted of us learning the basics of how to groom a dog. And then, I was scheduled to do the late/closing nights for the salon. Mind you, no one instructed me on how to close the store, what to clean, what to organize...Basically what to do AT ALL. For three straight nights I had to close, and neither the manager or the workers told me how to close! Every time I would go in, dopey or lazy would tell me "Mary got mad cause you didnt close right" Well, Mary didnt fucking tell me shit! I'm new here, how am I supposed to know what sprays to use on the windows, how to do laundry, how and where to put things away without anyone asking or helping me along the way? Do they honestly think the second I enter the salon I automatically understand all the crap laid around me? No, I just go in from noon to night with my thumb up my ass! If it weren't for Steve teaching me how to close I'd probably be still looking for a job now. It's like everyone in the salon had no way of communicating except for me and steve.

Dopey wasn't so dopey when I first met her. She was a very consistent worker that at the beginning was Mary's fav groomer. Very good with dogs, good closer, always came to work and did her job...Up until she started coming in either drunk or high, or a mix of both. Dont get me wrong, I have no problem if you like to do that stuff at work, so long as you can still do your work and pull your own weight, something dopey wasn't very capable of. Looking at a dog's invoice and seeing no information written down isn't very good for the other groomers. Nothing's more of a surprise (and an annoyance to the customer) then having the cashier run into the salon asking you what the SKU for the service is, especially if you didn't work on that dog, or you're still new and don't know what the SKU should be because you dont know what the breed of the dog is called, because the goddamn info card isn't in the same spot the invoice was in! > <

I have to admit though, it was pretty funny watching dopey talk to customers when she was wasted, slurring and forgetting what to say and all :D

Dopey would eventually stop showing up at certain work days on the schedule, only to come to work one day and be caught drinking a beer in the back room, thus being fired.

Lazy was another one of the good workers, or so it seemed. He wasn't a bad worker all the days he would come in. The only problem is that he STOPPED COMING TO WORK. We had no idea what was going on with him. One day he just didnt show up or answer his phone whenever we called his number. Pretty soon it would be a week of him not showing for work, and after that, we never heard from him again...Gone!

During all this commotion, we had a new groomer on our hands (if only for a few weeks, mind you), lazygamer2k8 (since he liked games a lot like me :P). I remember the first two days he was in, he apparently got into a fight with lazy about salon chores, saying he "didn't have to clean the kennels or do the laundry." To be more precise, he didnt want to because Lazy "isnt able to tell him what to do."

Now look...When it comes to cleaning or dogs in the salon, there IS no "I dont wanna/ You can't make me" You HAVE TO do it. You shouldn't be complaining or whining unless you're working with a moron who doesn't help do that work and just sits around thinking everything is fine. What must be done and accomplished by one groomer must be done by ALL the groomers at some point, and if you don't wanna do that, then you picked the wrong job. That's pretty much how lazygamer2k8 was:Sat around, didn't do any work, and basically would talk about games with me whenever he was in. I kinda liked him, but he was a lazy sonofabich, and he even got me in trouble sometimes when we closed together because he wouldn't do any cleaning (And of course I was yelled at) Eventually he stopped coming to work just like Lazy. When Dopey would call him and tell him he had to open or he would be fired, he said "I dont wanna open, I hate waking up early." and hung up. His stay was particularly short.

And now we come to Steve, pretty much the ray of shining hope in these troubled times. Steve is without a doubt the coolest friend I've had in a very long time. It's like he's my double: Loves games, loves grooming pets, likes watching stupid cartoons like south park and going on youtube, we have a lot in common. Except he's Bi and I'm not :P But I dont even care, I'm not a bigot, and if I was, I'd still be friends with Steve, he's that awesome. If it weren't for Steve my job would be so unbelievably terrible and dull. We always end up working together morning to night shifts (And we generally have no dogs to do when the grooming manager isnt there) so we always end up having a kickass time. We go over to the supermarkets next to our store, get snacks and drinks and just party in our grooming salon :D I always bring over my nintendo DS, playing my Sonic Rush Adventure and my Contra 4, either in the kennel room with the washing machine or out in front (none of the current managers seem to care...At least, MOST of them) We just goof off doing whatever. Telling a bunch if sex jokes, talking games, life, youtube, whatever. It's amazing how much stuff we got away with (And STILL we are the best workers there!). For instance...One day Steve joked around that we should get some beer and just drink in the kennel room sometime, considering it was closing night and no dogs. Well, that day did come...We sat on the washing machines just drinking cheap 20 oz. beer laughing like fucking kids XD Every now and then I would peek out the door way to see if someone was there, but all that did was make us laugh even more. Someone did eventually come in wanting her dog's nails cut, and not to brag but I did it flawlessly ;)

Now, was that a stupid thing for us to do? Yes, but would we have been caught? Well, no. See, there's two reasons why we wouldn't have been in trouble like Dopey. 1st, Steve and I were the only ones working that day, so less interruption. 2nd, Steve and I are like Sonic and Tails, the Mario Bros., Ryu and Ken, Minsc and fucking Boo! We're partners in act baby, we have plans to keep us out of trouble! To this day we still talk about that event, laughing at how much fun we had. Kinda brings a tear to your eye *sniff*

It's been a few months later, and Steve and I have been the only workers aside from Mary at the salon. That is, until Shannon and Dopey II came along. Shannon is a very hard working groomer and I'm glad she came along, even though the system has morbidly screwed over most of her paychecks, causing stress in her already stressful life and almost forcing her to find a new job that pays more.

Now comes Dopey II, someone more of Mary's age (range 60-70). A worker that I was glad at first to have in, since it meant I didn't hafta close every single fucking night! She seemed like a good worker. A good worker that always smelled like liquor, always needed help with dogs, always had to go to the bathroom, always bringing her purse with her...Yes the other workers finally caught her drinking liquor in the kennels, yes she would be seen coming out of a liqour store near our pet store and stuffing a black plastic bag in her purse, and yes, one of the managers found a beer bottle under her motorcycle helmet. But hey! She had a reason! It was from the other day, and she drank it on the beach (even though most beaches prohibit drinking beers on the beach), and she didnt want to get into trouble so she left it in her bag (and apparently didnt throw it away in any of the trash cans outside). During this time the managers were doing mandatory bag searches (Mainly because so many workers were telling the managers that they found Dopey II drinking on the job), so Dopey II desides to hide the bottle under her helmet. They would never think of looking there!...Well, they did, and now she is suspended, and at this point, about to be fired like so many other groomers.

Well, I'm getting really tired typing this all down, but I'm not out yet! I still have the many managers that have come and gone in our store! Oh the joy of incompetent work managers! Stay tuned.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 28, 2008, 01:22 AM
Interesting. Never knew the ongoings and underbelly of the pet stores.

But no worries on work related troubles, most of that is pretty standard no matter the workplace. Also standard is the get as much out of it as you put in. Do your work no matter who is lazy or isn't and if you are capable of goofing off on "down-not soo busy-times," if it feels good - do it.

Show you can do the work without excuses and be aghast once lazier folk let you pick up more and more of their slack! Hope your managers see the workload you do take on also so your credibility rises and you get your chances to do with that respect what you want, goof off - maintain the job status as other lazies get shown the door, or as you said, take themselves out the door without anyone saying so.

Chuck_Norris
Aug 30, 2008, 11:59 PM
Hah, been a while since I enjoyed reading a long post. Thank you for the laughs, Sir. I salute you.