PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Do I Have To Say It?

Leviathan
Aug 31, 2008, 12:20 PM
I can't fucking swallow pills.

I never have, &chances are I never will.
Whenever I'm sick, I CANNOT swallow pills. My throat is swollen. A pill that is small couldn't fit. I end up choking on it. I have to grind the pill &put it in some water/ juice or whatever in order to swallow it. However my parents thinks it's fun to make fun of me because I can't. Thus not only am I sick, but I feel bad about it. I'll tell them before hand but nooo, let's make fun of her for it.

(//_-)

<Coughs.>

Kylie
Aug 31, 2008, 12:43 PM
*comforts* Fortunately, I can swallow pills well, and I do every day.

slip em to me, and we'll say you took em

amtalx
Aug 31, 2008, 12:57 PM
Suppository?

I'm sooo helpful. I know...

EphekZ
Aug 31, 2008, 01:09 PM
It's a psychological thing.

Sord
Aug 31, 2008, 01:17 PM
if i ever have to mix medicine with a drink, I usually use orange juice with some pulp in it. Makes it seem like it might just be pulp. Though i really have no problem swallowing pills, even those big fish oil ones. you know with some pills, crushing isn't an option, they are made to have a timed release.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 31, 2008, 02:21 PM
You'll just have to woman up and swallow the pill. You won't be getting through life not swallowing pills. Just get a pill, put some water in your mouth and swallow.

McLaughlin
Aug 31, 2008, 06:36 PM
Grinding them up like that dilutes the dose. You should really just swallow it. It's like swallowing a jelly-bean.

Zarode
Aug 31, 2008, 07:43 PM
Can you swallow food?

thunder-ray
Aug 31, 2008, 08:18 PM
Can you swallow food?Good question

KodiaX987
Aug 31, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, welcome to Rants. Whatever you do, make sure you don't be an asshole to people when they need to vent. That would break my fucking heart.

SStrikerR
Aug 31, 2008, 09:22 PM
I have to swallow pills daily, I used to have a problem like this as well, but now it's gone. :wacko: So what's wrong with your throat now?

McLaughlin
Aug 31, 2008, 09:43 PM
Well, I had the same problem when I was younger. One particular accident resulted in four different pills I had to take each day. Since my first day was spent in the hospital, they wouldn't let me mush 'em up, and they wouldn't let me leave until I swallowed them.

It's like swallowing gum. :/ You are diluting your dosage though, which makes whatever you're taking less effective.

Leviathan
Aug 31, 2008, 10:37 PM
I think it is a psychological thing. =/

When I was younger I had to swallow a claritin. <It's small.> But I choked on it anyways.

I've never swallowed gum before. &Yes I do eat food. <Stupid question.>

Either way, my throat is SWOLLEN. I've been living on soup for the past few days.

Zarode
Sep 1, 2008, 01:03 AM
&Yes I do eat food. <Stupid question.>

No, it isn't.

Gotta think of the pill more like that.

A great way to swallow pills is not to shove it as far back as possible, but keep it towards the front of your tongue, then swallow with a small to medium sip of water.

Quite frankly, it's a legit question in the means of helping you.

AzureBlaze
Sep 1, 2008, 03:43 AM
There is something that can help you take a pill, called "Spray N Swallow" it's a natural oil spritzer thing bottle (with flavor) that makes pills nearly impossible to choke on. It can be bought online for cheap. All you do is spray it on both sides of the pill, and then take it with whatever you want. It shouldn't matter if you're sick/bad throat or not a lot of people say it's really a miracle.

Don't let 'em make fun of you (family should really be quite supportive if you're sick...dang) have them buy you a little mini spritzer of that stuff and trouble is over. Hopefully this can help solve your rant.

Tetsaru
Sep 1, 2008, 04:10 AM
Aw man, I had this problem for years, but I finally figured out a method that worked for me.

Try taking a drink of something first and holding it in your mouth, THEN pop the pill in and swallow it. I always had the problem of the pill sticking to my tongue and making me gag (bad nasal allergies tend to make my saliva thick and sticky >_<), but I found that this way made it a lot easier by making the pill float in your mouth rather than rest on your tongue. I dunno about the whole swollen throat thing, though... maybe if you put some ice or something cold in your mouth, it could reduce the swelling?

Now, if I could just find a way to tough out injections. GOD how I hate needles... >_<

Zarode
Sep 1, 2008, 09:10 AM
Now, if I could just find a way to tough out injections. GOD how I hate needles... >_<

Don't look and don't think about it. :wacko:

Honestly, for both posts, this is how I do it.

Out_Kast
Sep 1, 2008, 10:50 AM
Do remember, Zarode, it's easier said than done.
Other people may find it harder to adapt to such a situation than yourself :wacko:

Zarode
Sep 1, 2008, 11:05 AM
I've had years of practice, sadly. :disapprove: So that might be it too.

Out_Kast
Sep 1, 2008, 11:08 AM
If it helps, Levi, I can't take pills either :wacko:
Or needles.
And my birthday cakes never have candles because I have an unnaturally powerful fear of fire :disapprove:

Neith
Sep 1, 2008, 11:16 AM
Don't look and don't think about it. :wacko:

Honestly, for both posts, this is how I do it.

Needles in general don't bother me- what I do hate is when it's a dentist needle (the ones they use to inject the roof of your mouth). Not only do I find it agonizingly painful, it honestly feels like the needle is going up your nose/into your brain (I don't mean pain, I mean how weird having a needle in the roof of your mouth is/feels). Hell, I'd rather pay to be anesthetized with gas than a needle, because I hate having the injection(s). Although with gas, I get violent and started lashing out at the dentist last time I had it :wacko:

In regards to the OP, I've never ground pills down because it apparently adversely affects the amount of dosage you get. Zarode's method works well though, just put the pill towards the front of your tongue, take a sip of water, and swallow it along with the pill. I know some people can't do this well though- my Mum is one of them.

Also, I've lost count how many times I've swallowed gum :wacko:

KodiaX987
Sep 1, 2008, 11:48 AM
Needles are fine. Now, the drilling tool that goes zweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :disapprove:

Shadowpawn
Sep 1, 2008, 12:02 PM
I can't sallow pills. I'm paranoid of the fact that you can choke on them.

SStrikerR
Sep 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
If it helps, Levi, I can't take pills either :wacko:
Or needles.
And my birthday cakes never have candles because I have an unnaturally powerful fear of fire :disapprove:

You should meet my uncle, he cured my fear of fire.

Out_Kast
Sep 1, 2008, 12:57 PM
Let me guess, he threw you into a bonfire? :wacko:

McLaughlin
Sep 1, 2008, 05:34 PM
Needles are fine. Now, the drilling tool that goes zweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :disapprove:

No enamel + this tool = mucho pain (and a bad taste). I almost ripped the arm off my orthodontist's chair last week.

Darkly
Sep 1, 2008, 07:20 PM

i remeber having an infected tooth when i was twelve, pretty much the worst thing of my life. before the drilling though, the massive injection they gave me to numb my mouth made it fucking huge and swollen, infact i was restricted to liquids for a couple of weeks till all was better. eugh.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 1, 2008, 08:00 PM
Tilt your head back when you swallow, too.

Nai_Calus
Sep 2, 2008, 01:22 AM
Man up and swallow the damned thing. Do it a few times and you'll realise you're being dramawhoreish and that it's bloody nothing and you won't have the problem anymore. I can dry-swallow multiple horsepills like it's nothing. I only need water if the pills taste fucking nasty, and that only to get rid of the taste afterwards.

Needles never bothered me either, heh. I watch. You know, it probably helps with the pain, since I know exactly when it's going to happen so I'm expecting it. Allergy shots, real shots, blood drawn for tests, donating blood... (The blood donation needle is awesome, srsly. Fucker is massive. And doesn't even hurt, rofl. Plus it's fun to watch the blood flow down the tube into the bag.)

People in general just need to man the hell up and stop being wimps about stuff that's for their own benefit. Yeah, the pill is big, yeah the nyquil tastes like ass, yeah the needle looks like it's eight miles long and three miles across, oh well. Do it.

beatrixkiddo
Sep 2, 2008, 01:33 AM
I do platelet donations, they love me :3 I get hooked up to the machine for like... an hour and a half.

But yeah basically, man up.

leblancdiaz
Sep 2, 2008, 09:14 AM
I use to be scared of pill swallowing when I was younger like 8 or so, then I came to the conclusion that if I didn't take this desired pill that I was going to die or some lame excuse for me to take the pill and ever since then I have had a problem.

Larian
Sep 2, 2008, 10:28 AM
When I was younger I couldn't either...My mom always had to crush them up and put them in stuff like applesauce, and chocolate pudding. I can't eat either anymore. I absolutely hate the taste.

Damn you oral chemo meds!!! =/

Sekani
Sep 2, 2008, 10:47 AM
I've never been able to swallow pills. Ever. I actually nearly choked on a pill once.

My solution? I don't take medication. Thankfully I have pretty good health and have never had to take anything stronger than Tylenol or amoxicillin.

stukasa
Sep 2, 2008, 04:42 PM
I used to have the same problem until I tried the same method as Tetsaru and it worked pretty well. The water really helps a lot. Luckily I don't have to take pills anymore. I got used to it but it was never "fun." ^^;

Aw man, I had this problem for years, but I finally figured out a method that worked for me.

Try taking a drink of something first and holding it in your mouth, THEN pop the pill in and swallow it. I always had the problem of the pill sticking to my tongue and making me gag (bad nasal allergies tend to make my saliva thick and sticky >_<), but I found that this way made it a lot easier by making the pill float in your mouth rather than rest on your tongue. I dunno about the whole swollen throat thing, though... maybe if you put some ice or something cold in your mouth, it could reduce the swelling?

Weeaboolits
Sep 3, 2008, 12:04 AM
Achalasia? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achalasia)