PDA

View Full Version : Swirling Day of Agony (aka my first day back to class)

Anduril
Sep 3, 2008, 01:37 PM
It's that wonderful time of the year, the week where everyone heads back to school and the roads become a mass of chaos as people rush to make it to their appointed destination in time. This is my story (in my panicked state I ddin't keep exact record of the time, so much of the time is just in guesstimates).
Well knowing the horrible conditions that awaited me on the raod and when I made it to campus I decided to leave my home at 9am, though my class did not start until noon. Everything seems good until about halfway through my trip when traffic is backed up becuase of road construction. This adds an hour to my trip (it usually only takes me 30 mintues to get from my house to campus). 10:30 I make it to campus, blindly believing I will be able to find a parking spot; oh, how wrong I was. I circled 4 of the campus' parking lots for another 60 minutes, missing out on two spots becuse there is one other person in front of me. Then on a single sign I see that there is an AM channel that is broadcasting the parking conditions, so I check it out, and I find out that the only open parking is at the Marina a half mile away. At this point I'm pressed for time; it's 11:30 and I'm not even sure how bad traffic to the Marina is. I make it to the Marina in about 15 minutes and more disaster awaits. They had set up a shuttle stop to pick up people from the Marina o take to campus and it was supposed to arrive evey 15 minutes; I ended up waiting for 30 minutes, and there were already people there who had been waiting for another 30 minutes (basically the shuttle was an hour late). I evetnually make it back to campus on the shuttle, but at this point I'm already 20 minutes late. When I finally arrive in class I have to stand at the back of the class for an hour and a half becuase there wasn't a single seat left (it's Shakespeare I, a requirement for all English majors and there are only 2 sections so at least 6 people were trying to add the class).

I got a ride from my sister today just to avoid all of that again.:-(

CelestialBlade
Sep 3, 2008, 01:49 PM
First week is always the worst when it comes to campus parking. Starting next week, people will start skipping class and not giving a shit about being early anymore, and it'll get better. And I absolutely hate campus shuttles. I usually tack on 15-20 minutes more onto their posted rotation time, and I seem to meet with less disappointment.

Endure for this week, it'll get better. That's how it's gone for the four years I've been at my university.

Ceresa
Sep 3, 2008, 01:53 PM
Marina a half mile away.

They had set up a shuttle stop to pick up people from the Marina o take to campus and it was supposed to arrive evey 15 minutes.

Walk. I used to park so far in the back of our lots it was like an 8 minute walk, sure beats shuttles.

leblancdiaz
Sep 3, 2008, 03:23 PM
I still park in the back lots at are college the front lot there is no way you will ever get a spot the first back lot is usually full by 7 30am. The second back lot is usually full by 8 am. So your probably rolling the dice to see fi you can get a spot on time to get to your class on time. Sometimes the earlier you go the better it is to get a parking spot there will be days were I will go to classes that are 8 hours ahead just so I can get a parking spot. I usually sleep in our student lounge and await my classes and so far I haven't had a problem. Also there will be days I don't even go because I only got one class and it's only an hour long so whats the point of burning gas.

Inazuma
Sep 3, 2008, 06:44 PM
back in the day when i used to go to college, i got so fed up w/ the parking at and close to the campus, i ended up parking at a public park about 1 mile away. it was the closest spot w/o any parking restrictions. later on, they added signs there saying it was for park use only. luckily i had stopped going to that college by then. parking in general is always such a huge pain in the ass >_>