PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed crappy news for xbox

Yurika
Jan 31, 2003, 01:49 PM
http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=4068

Evidently, you need to have a xbox live account (the yearly $50 one) just to play it offline, and it's definetly an additional $8.95 after your first two free months. Boy, that sucks. Not to sound wrong, but it's almost like they're trying to lose business that way. I'm not real keen on having to continue to pay them every year to play my game *offline*. What a crock. I'm glad I didn't hold out. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

jimmer411
Jan 31, 2003, 02:06 PM
...could be worth it if there isnt any FSOD or duping. and, well if i have all my other games online as well.

RX-7
Jan 31, 2003, 02:09 PM
I figure there will be more duping on X-box version. I figure X-box has alot in common with a regualr PC, so it should be alot easier to hack.

TerribleDeliMeat
Jan 31, 2003, 02:12 PM
I say its worth it if Microsoft can present a reasonably cheat free enviroment. And to be honest, if you're buying just a Live! kit for PSO, you're probably better getting the gamecube version instead.

However, if you're like most Xbox owners and plan on having more than one Live! game, this is the way to go.

Count me in

edit: think people. If Microsoft moniters BOTH off and online, when exactly are you going to dupe? While the game isnt being played?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TerribleDeliMeat on 2003-01-31 11:28 ]</font>

RiGoRmOrTiS_UK
Jan 31, 2003, 02:28 PM
I personally think the biggest fook up is the fact it doesnt let you play anyone outside the US.

I live in the UK and this point has now turned my definate purchase into a definate no go.

Trifluid
Jan 31, 2003, 02:51 PM
whoa....whoa whoa whoa!...What the hell O_o!?!?....You gotta have a live account just to play it offline!? WTF Thats like buying a car just because you wanted four new tires........why should you pay anything more than store price to enjoy a game offline?!

TerribleDeliMeat
Jan 31, 2003, 02:54 PM
Here's the official reason (taken from the Team XBOX story)

"Why? Well, the answer is probably a lot simpler than you might expect. The game was originally designed by SEGA as a launch title for Xbox Live in Japan, so the Live requirement was a given. The way the game initiates is designed around your Live account, so the game needs to access the account to play, even if you are not playing the game online. When Microsoft acquired the rights to distribute the game in the US, this requirement was left in place since the amount of time and effort that would have been needed to remove and rebuild the structure of the game would have pushed back the release of the game, causing a delay that was in the end deemed unnecessary. So gamers will just have to bite the bullet and get themselves an Xbox Live account if they want to play Phantasy Star Online. Don?t forget however, you will also get the Hunter?s License for 2 months for free, so you can at least take advantage of that even if you don?t plan on continuing the server beyond that."

And like i said, if you use your xbox for things other than playing PSOX...you'll need a Live! kit at sometime.

edit: And you dont need an active HL to play the game offline. Only an active Live! account.

The problem I could see is there really isn't anything that is making folks grab the kits by the handful. Had Microsoft had stuff like Halo 2, SWG, etc. around, it wouldn't be such a major "problem" for those who have broadband just not a kit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TerribleDeliMeat on 2003-01-31 11:57 ]</font>

Blenjar
Jan 31, 2003, 02:56 PM
I got xlive. I don't have to worry.
Will see the real game, problems and alll, if its worth getting it. thx got I didn't pre-order it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blenjar on 2003-01-31 12:00 ]</font>

Mamonaku187
Jan 31, 2003, 02:56 PM
No international players...
That definitely takes away from PSO's flavor. But with the GC's super-pricey KB... that turns me off as well.

Hopefully, that part will change. PSO without international players isn't PSO.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 31, 2003, 03:24 PM
The catch to the game is in order to play it either off-line or online; you will need an Xbox Live account when you play the game. So this means even if you have no intentions whatsoever to play online, you will still be required to have an active Live account to play the game.

blah blah blah....

So what¡¯s the Xbox version going to have that the others don¡¯t? The Xbox hardware allowed the game to come through in full 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround and the Xbox version will also support full voice capabilities via the Xbox Communicator. The game itself will be the same content, but the quality of the overall experience will be boosted by these features supported by the advanced hardware of the Xbox.

-_-;

RX-7
Jan 31, 2003, 03:38 PM
I am not planning on getting a X-box Live kit for a long time, since the games that you can use on X-box, are already on PC(New Unreal game, PC version is alot better and X-box version)or the PC counterpart to one on X-box live is alot better(Mechwarrior Mercenarys alot better than Mechwarrior). I would buy X-Box live if I had Steel Batallion. But There is no real reason to have X-Box live. Also this having to have a account to play offline is BS. I guess i will not buy PSO till there is at least 10 differnet X-Box games I can play that are actually good.

Yurika
Jan 31, 2003, 03:39 PM
Ouch, no international players stinks. That's like a peanut butter sandwich without the peanut butter. It's too bad that there can't be some good middle ground somewhere or something. Both the GC and Xbox versions lack a feature that the other version has. Xbox has (theoretically) a great chat system, but no international players, and mega-extra fees if it's a standalone game (which does kind of hurt, as right now I'm not excited enough about live to buy it for the current live games). Gamecube has the international players and a lesser fee as a standalone (still robbery compared to DC v2 AND the japan fees. >_<), but they have a poor chat system due to no keyboards. What a pain. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. >_<

chaos28
Jan 31, 2003, 03:40 PM
Silly Microsoft. This is why, when it comes to choosing something Nintendo over something Microsoft, always go with Nintendo. The best option, I would think, is for everyone to get the Gamecube one and just play that until the game comes out on PS2. Although I like Nintendo more, PS2 has a much large installed userbase, and would probably be harder to cheat at, at first, considering the PS2's online security (of course, they'd find a way around it eventually).

Mag_Launcher
Jan 31, 2003, 03:51 PM
Another reason why I'm not getting Xbox PSO... that, and lack of broadband. But I just GOTTA check out the multiplayer of Halo 2 when it comes out, and that may be my inspiration when I get the money...

But I'm on PSO GC to stay. I might get Live! in the near future, but I won't be playing PSO on it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2003-01-31 12:52 ]</font>

Celestial
Jan 31, 2003, 03:57 PM
On 2003-01-31 12:40, chaos28 wrote:
Silly Microsoft. This is why, when it comes to choosing something Nintendo over something Microsoft, always go with Nintendo. The best option, I would think, is for everyone to get the Gamecube one and just play that until the game comes out on PS2.

dont hold your breath it aint ever gonna come out on PS2

we knew now for MONTHS (maybe even a year?) now that it was comming to Xbox if it was ever gonna come out on PS2 we would of known long time ago

Mag_Launcher
Jan 31, 2003, 04:02 PM
Oh, he's talking about that PS2 PSO rumor that was floatin around around 5-6 months ago... and I'm pretty sure nothing was said after that for a reason... It ain't coming to PS2, period.

And speaking of "increased security" on PS2, Pfft, a PS2 PSO would be hacked so damn fast it'll make your head spin.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2003-01-31 13:05 ]</font>

Phobos-X
Jan 31, 2003, 04:08 PM
I would think, is for everyone to get the Gamecube one and just play that until the game comes out on PS2

hahahaha yea right, dont hold ya breath kid!

but on the whole deal about US players only being able to play with US players, have any of you thought about language barriers? im pretty sure that other countries speak english...some even more fluent than some americans. I hear that the recent xbox dev kits come with the Fonix thingie, but its a lil to late, PSO is already packed up and ready for release...oh well...

Yurika
Jan 31, 2003, 04:10 PM
On 2003-01-31 12:40, chaos28 wrote:
Although I like Nintendo more, PS2 has a much large installed userbase, and would probably be harder to cheat at, at first, considering the PS2's online security (of course, they'd find a way around it eventually).

Online security? Where? Sony's not in charge of *any* of the online games. It's all pot luck to the developers to develop/support the online stuff last I read about it. Are there even any online PS2 games out there in NA market? I've only got that twisted metal black one that was the free demo.. and I haven't got socom since I'm on modem. Kind of pointless.

XD And good luck on waiting for it to port to PS2. Didn't Sega say something like they'd be rotting in their grave before Sony could even think about getting a port?

Bloodberry
Jan 31, 2003, 04:13 PM
wait, wait, wait, you have to have the $50 live thing to play it offline? Even if you have no intention of playing online? Sooo.. it's not enough that you don't have the actual Console and the game, you *MUST* have the Live thing too?

It can't be that. That's just stupid. I'm wrong right?

Celes152
Jan 31, 2003, 04:15 PM
That's right. =/ They say it would have pushed back the release date to remove that requirement from the US version(The Japanese one came with Xbox Live!), but it was probably a scam to get more people to join XboxLive!.

llxerollenyce
Jan 31, 2003, 04:16 PM
Silly Microsoft. This is why, when it comes to choosing something Nintendo over something Microsoft, always go with Nintendo. The best option, I would think, is for everyone to get the Gamecube one and just play that until the game comes out on PS2.

That has GOT to be the most retarded thing ive heard in a LONG while. Nintendo over microsoft? Where have you been? Well, i think i can answer that if you THINK PSO is coming out for the PS2. Your jus another lil fan boy who happens to hate the xbox. Thats all. Iv'e seen your type. i bet ur 12 years old.

anyway.....Might have sounded like harsh words but i cant stand people who come up with statements like that and have no backbone to support it. Anyway, yes the news is distressing but i can almost picture the security!. They control offline mode as well to prevent ANY sort of cheating. While I dont think it's right to have a yearly payment, People usually buy more than ONE online game. So while, true you pay 50.00 but you can also play other online games thye have to offer.

Now the bad side to this is.....HOW MUCH MORE SECURITY DO WE NEED? It seems the more "Secure" Sonic team makes a game, the more messed up it becomes. (i.E. bsod, fsod, corruption)

Bloodberry
Jan 31, 2003, 04:21 PM
You might be right, but what if you're wrong? What's to keep offline players from just not having a cord in their wall, microsoft can't manipulate something not physically connected to a phone jack..

That aside, if it does come with security that's great, and all these new features, lucky xbox users! I'd still be pretty outraged that they're forcing you to pay another $50, otherwise you just spent the previous $50 on a plastic coaster with a pretty picture. Is it just me who'd be outraged by that? Live and fee to play online still isn't that bad, but.. meh, I'm sure you get the point.

Mag_Launcher
Jan 31, 2003, 04:24 PM
Sure, I admit Microsoft is technologically superior to Nintendo, but I pick Nintendo on personal preference, and if you don't like it, these nuts.

And I DO own an Xbox, if you haven't already figured THAT one out.

Celes152
Jan 31, 2003, 04:24 PM
There's no way they'd be able to moniter offline mode..because you'd have to connect to the server each time, and they would need an army to watch everyone in the world so mines 2 offline. I mean..what if the new wasn't working? What if you unplugged your Cable/DSL modem? There can't be offline monitering, because then it wouldn't be offline. You'd still connect to their servers, and I doubt they'd let you do that without paying the HL.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Celes152 on 2003-01-31 13:24 ]</font>

Mag_Launcher
Jan 31, 2003, 04:28 PM
The offline thing has nothing to do with monitoring... it could, though, but I doubt they'd go THAT far. They're just too lazy to get off their asses to remove a simple "account login protocol" or some crap like that...

Elusive_Llama
Jan 31, 2003, 04:32 PM
Personally I find the whole idea of buying Xbox Live! to be funny. Why? You're paying extra on top of your connection fees and game charges. At this moment, I can play any FPS game on my PC for free, notwithstanding connection charges and the cost of the game itself. Never mind my PC costs more than an Xbox...it's more powerful, and useful for more than just games.

As for MMORPGs, if PSO sets any precedent for Xbox MMORPGs, don't expect the Xbox to be outperforming PCs anytime soon.

ps. Honestly why would you want to play a First Person Shooter on a console? My dream opponent is some idiot using a gamepad to play a FPS like Quake or whatever against my mouse/keyboard setup. It would be sheer murder http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Bah.

Bloodberry
Jan 31, 2003, 04:35 PM
by "idiot" you mean "honored opponent" right? ^_^

dvs69
Jan 31, 2003, 04:47 PM
Real quick guys, this is even more official news http://www.xbox.com/pso2/ check it out!

Bloodberry
Jan 31, 2003, 04:53 PM
? I don't see anything new.

RX-7
Jan 31, 2003, 05:24 PM
With waht has been announced, the pay per moht, besides X-Crap Live fee, Microsoft has lost alot of its support. But I alreayd had doubts when I heard Microsft was gonna run the servers and not Sonic Team. I know we all complain about Sonic team, but they are the ones that do the new quest, ect.. Microsoft doesnt make them. Plus, why do people still wanna think PSO will go PS2? I remember this rumor way back on DC. it will never happen. The only reason it goign to X-box is because Sega helps Microsoft out game wise. Look at the best games of X-Box. Panzer Dragoon ORTA, Gun Valkyrie(one of the best games ever really). They are in teh top 5 of a real gamers list. That means at least 2 of there best 5 from Sega, and PSO would have been if this extra fee and offline crap was not there.

Tryce
Jan 31, 2003, 05:54 PM
You know I think that even if there is less FSOD in XBOX live or less cheating in general, which I kind of doubt to start with, I figure it will have different problems. For example, since it revolves around your internet account, your account could get screwed up or maybe your save deleted accidentally or you lose levels due to a reroll, you know those kind of problems that plenty of online games have. Also, is it even going to be microsoft that handles the server or will it be sonic team?

ABDUR101
Jan 31, 2003, 06:14 PM
*teh sigh*

Please use the stickied X-box info thread at the top of the forum for all new X-box PSO related info. This stops the General forum from being cluttered with eight different threads that keep getting bumped.

Thank you for letting everyone know about it though.

X-box info thread (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37820&forum=1&98)

*lock*