PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else miss PSO?

xenokai
Sep 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
I miss playing the DC and GC PSO's i know you can still play pso bb but the games are dead online and boring now. I just miss the fun of pso PSU was massively disapointing. I remember the old DC and GC games wow those where the days. prob most fun ive ever had on a game and they ruined it with PSU!!! Anyone else feel this way? Name was Dark Saiyan on dreamcast and Xenokai on GC and all other PSO's PSU's. i miss it

TheOneHero
Sep 9, 2008, 10:28 PM
I sure do miss my good ol' PSO.

Waking up early mornings to get some C-mode in on the JP ships, spending hours assisting in SJS runs, and getting well acquainted with Temple looking for the those flippin' Yas9Ks.

Man those were the days. >D

While detailed discussion on them is forbidden, I sure am thankful for those unofficial servers. >_>;

Majarra
Sep 9, 2008, 11:03 PM
Sure do. Though i tought it was only fun with co-op or online. Im scared to join the unofficial servers. Dont wanna get all my info hacked or FSOD or corrupted. Its still great but after playing PSU for a while PSO seemed all so and ancient. Its still fun.

Dragwind
Sep 10, 2008, 05:40 AM
PSO hasn't gone anywhere, it will always be around. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't often think back on all the great times I had, and a large poster on my wall makes sure that I don't.

KayaHime
Sep 10, 2008, 06:45 AM
Of course I do! I still play it from time to time, whether on the unofficial servers or just with my friends in offline co-op mode on GC.

Aki03
Sep 10, 2008, 08:04 AM
I missed PSO, but fortuneately I got Xbox and GC and play it offline or on unofficial servers.
PSO makes more fun than PSU. A mixture of both would be great (Fighting-style of PSU, but grafic and setting AND SOUND from PSO).

I mean, PSU got beautifull outfits and a really funny gameplay...
but I miss the old soundtrack, the symbol-chat, the Ruins/Seabed/Jungle-Areas and the grafic in PSO (look at seaside or seabed) is so much better than in PSU!

DC_PLAYER
Sep 10, 2008, 09:02 AM
PSO is not dead, in fact i will be getting a new DC next week and revive my char again.

darkante
Sep 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
Sure i miss that game, but itīs kinda hard to get in that game after being so used to PSU.
Even if the unmentioned server goes down as well for some wierd reason (?), i still have my copy of PSO on the GC. I will never ever sell that game. :D

Freeze
Sep 10, 2008, 10:52 AM
I really miss doing the CCA and tower runs on the xbox. So many hours put into those character and now they just collect dust. I do have PSOs sound track ripped to my 360 so I can at least replace PSUs lousy soundtrack but nothing was quite as great as the CCA.

Jaspaller
Sep 10, 2008, 11:02 AM
I really miss doing the CCA and tower runs on the xbox. So many hours put into those character and now they just collect dust.
Same here. Sure, I can get on BB! But, I'm not much for PC gaming unless it's an FPS so it's hard for me to stick to it. I like to do my gaming in front of the TV on the couch.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Sep 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
I play Pso ver1, ver2, Gc, and Pc(sort of). Offline only though. Well, for now.

ShinMaruku
Sep 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
I don't miss it.

Out_Kast
Sep 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
I don't need to miss it, I still play it. :wacko:

Akira-san
Sep 10, 2008, 04:08 PM
well i would say i miss pso if it was dead but its far from it lol i play my GC version to this day. i do miss the old pso days though i played online on the dreamcast when it first released. back then all my friends played online plus online was FREE! but yea good times and when they made u pay online thats when i quit for a long time, then got back on PSU and bout a month ago bought the GC version. would like to go online but heard theres a lot of hackers etc lol but yea still thinking bout it.

Lance813
Sep 10, 2008, 04:59 PM
Haha, I just got a new char. into ULT yesterday.

I've been playing since V2. Speaking of which, congrats on the new DC K_I_R_E_E_K, DC_Player, or Hugo (I know you by many names :wacko:)!

DC_PLAYER
Sep 10, 2008, 05:11 PM
I don't have it yet, i still need to wait a few more days

Lance813
Sep 10, 2008, 05:45 PM
but still, do you think you can use Hugo?

DC_PLAYER
Sep 10, 2008, 05:51 PM
Well, i will do some serious testing to see if i can use my DC because i'm not in the mood to make mods on the new DC, so if it works my dreamcast char will return, if more then one thing got damaged (besides the power converter) in my dc then i will have to use the new one, even if it doesn't accept my char i beleive all i need to do is to flash reset the dreamcast memory.
Can hardly wait to play pso once more, my char is hungry to kill some more Arlans.
Don't worry, if i return i will surely make a topic about it.

Lance813
Sep 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
Haha i'll be expecting the whole story over on Ragol.

Callous
Sep 10, 2008, 08:01 PM
i know you can still play pso bb but the games are dead online and boring now.
Eh, have you been on? It's extremely lively.

Rob19
Sep 10, 2008, 09:56 PM
well i would say i miss pso if it was dead but its far from it lol i play my GC version to this day. i do miss the old pso days though i played online on the dreamcast when it first released. back then all my friends played online plus online was FREE! but yea good times and when they made u pay online thats when i quit for a long time, then got back on PSU and bout a month ago bought the GC version. would like to go online but heard theres a lot of hackers etc lol but yea still thinking bout it.

Most GCers are legit, only a few "hack" (personal gain, handin out shit). its bad-hack-proof, so no worries :)

TalHex
Sep 11, 2008, 02:47 PM
only thing i don't like about BB is that its saved server side, its going to be a pain if the server i'm on ever shuts down... i'll have to start over again... at least i still have PSO+

DC_PLAYER
Sep 11, 2008, 04:01 PM
Most GCers are legit, only a few "hack" (personal gain, handin out shit). its bad-hack-proof, so no worries :)

It depends on how you consider them legit, but by my standarts it's enough, many play the game just because they actually like it, so it's a fun clean enviroment to play.

SilverShadow117
Sep 12, 2008, 02:06 PM
many play the game just because they actually like it, so it's a fun clean enviroment to play.
Yea like me, I never saw any use in hacking especially in an easy game like this. Why would anyone want to duplicate meseta? Seriously I have 999k on five of my characters now and I keep on making more money. It's simple, break boxes pick up items and sell them.

TalHex
Sep 12, 2008, 02:15 PM
besides meseta pretty much becomes useless for eveything except buying mates, fluids, and techs around hard mode

DC_PLAYER
Sep 12, 2008, 03:18 PM
well, i don't want to go much offtopic but on PS4 meseta is very usefull, in fact i was constantly going to a city to search for avaiable quests and everytime i think i'm rich i would waste the entire meseta on equips in a certain town and that would happen several times in the game.

osbourne
Sep 13, 2008, 05:16 PM
Yea like me, I never saw any use in hacking especially in an easy game like this. Why would anyone want to duplicate meseta? Seriously I have 999k on five of my characters now and I keep on making more money. It's simple, break boxes pick up items and sell them.

The only time hacking is useful and doesn't completely ruin the game is when you duplicate online only items offline. I had to do this with the Gallon's Quest items I needed, but I can effectively drop PDs to balance things out.

Lance813
Sep 13, 2008, 06:15 PM
I've backed up my chars on a memory card once or twice, but thats about it.

I don't wanna have to restart completely again if i corrupt.

DreXxiN
Sep 14, 2008, 03:29 AM
Not a day goes by that I don't think back to PSO and what I've learned from it and all the good memories.

When Zero came to visit at my house for a week, when we went to the waterfalls in the Ruins, I actually teared a bit. Quite a shock!

Good times, good times..

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Sep 14, 2008, 03:41 AM
Most of my good memories of PSO were GC offline solo. I had a few good non solo memories the big feuds of Legits vs. Dupers before the influx of FSODing, and Getting my friends into the game for a year before they turned and began to hate it and me for introducing them to it.

I haven't actually sat down to play in some time. I just log in to BB once every 2 months or so to make sure my characters haven't been deleted.

Reki_III
Sep 14, 2008, 10:51 AM
While detailed discussion on them is forbidden, I sure am thankful for those unofficial servers. >_>;

If the official servers are gone, then why is it still counted as illegal to use them? It was only illegal if the official servers are still for profit to the company. Thus, now that the official servers are gone, those who played PSO should be allowed to talk about the unofficial servers. ITS LEGAL NOW!!!

DC_PLAYER
Sep 14, 2008, 11:03 AM
No it's not legal, sega did not give any permission so they could use the game data for they're own personal server.

If sega didn't alow then the private servers are illegal, being that we can't talk about them.

Lance813
Sep 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
But thank god for the private servers.

Rob19
Sep 14, 2008, 10:06 PM
Amen brother

Lasia
Sep 14, 2008, 10:41 PM
just started playin ther again, i missed pso T_T

Reki_III
Sep 15, 2008, 01:01 AM
As the case of Lotus v. Borland demonstrates, recreating "methods of operation" is not a copyright infringement. Thus, emulating copyrighted material is not a breach. However, this demands that the complete emulator is a work of its own. Sometimes the original server software leaks out of the company that created the game, for example AEGIS (Ragnarok Online). Use or distribution of this is definitely a copyright infringement.
I just had to look it up. This states that as long as it is not original server data, it is legal. I knew it was sonething like that. I'm not trying to argue.

DC_PLAYER
Sep 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
And may i ask why isn't the fake in yellow quest illegal? sega made the quest, any quest used at the private servers that were create by sega are illegal, this is only an example.

Yggdrasill
Sep 16, 2008, 01:16 AM
The first time I ever played PSO, I was addicted :P
I really want an new version of PSO on the Wii, that would be so cool.

RAmar Lv.200
Oct 4, 2008, 01:32 PM
PSO Was The Best Thing Ever To Hit The Streets! It Was So Popular When It Came Out!!! I Still Play It!:-D

Tweengo
Oct 10, 2008, 11:18 AM
I have never played PSO GC online, and done the tower quest thanks to Sega not releasing Plus here :( But I was still addicted to it coughredboxcough. Oh, ps related, i have sega megadrive collection on PS2 with PS 2, 3 and 4 I think. Haven't played them much. But hey, only cost me Ģ8. I have seen original PS games worth Ģ30 :(

Wyndham
Oct 10, 2008, 02:14 PM
I will always remember the fun i had with PSO on the dreamcast, and GC.
i remember my first Photon Claw in version 1. i loved using it.
i want to get PSO+, but its expensive.

Ithildin
Oct 11, 2008, 01:04 AM
Its nice to see these nostalgic threads come up every now and again. For myself I am not feeling so nostalgic because I still play PSO today. I guess the only thing I look back at and miss is my friends that I used to hang around with online. A couple of them are still around but its not like it used to be.

AlexCraig
Oct 11, 2008, 01:45 AM
For myself I am not feeling so nostalgic because I still play PSO today.
Same here. Which kinda puts those "Only reason people play PSO is because of nostalgia" posts out of commission.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 11, 2008, 02:04 AM
I found the ToS on one of the more popular private servers.

If you affiliated with Sega of America, Sega of Japan, Sega of Europe, or any of Sega's subsidiaries, you may not register an account, connect to or view the contents of this private server. :lol:

Ithildin
Oct 11, 2008, 06:28 AM
Same here. Which kinda puts those "Only reason people play PSO is because of nostalgia" posts out of commission.

Indeed, I quite agree. I'm playing PSO today because I wanted to go back and do so many of the things I never got to before. For example, play episode IV. I played on GC so never had the chance.

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 07:25 AM
I'll always miss it. I'm always fond of it because every summer, since the original one on Dreamcast, being quite younger back then, I'd just gorge on the game with (bizarrely) my Mom. She was absolutely bad-ass at the game. She has since, sadly, lost a battle with cancer and now I've grown up, I'll always look back at the game with a special fondness because of the memories associated with it.

It'll always hold a special place in my heart.

I'm looking forward to Phantasy Star Zero, of course, (which she'd have loved - neither of us were particularly impressed with PSU), but I sure will miss the old PSO lobbies. We spent so long messing about in those!

Good times and good memories. I can't thank Sonic Team enough for the Phantasy Star Online series.

Ithildin
Oct 11, 2008, 07:31 AM
Wow that's a lovely post Saphion. Crazy to hear your Mum played with you at the time. That's certainly made me think a bit on this boring Saturday afternoon at work. Thanks for that! :D

Freeze
Oct 11, 2008, 09:41 AM
Now there's testiment to the influence that PSO had on so many lives and why it still lives today, even if the official servers are gone. Thanks Saphion for that great story.

furrypaws
Oct 11, 2008, 12:50 PM
Miss it? Why would I miss it when I could still play it? =3

Yes, I get what you're trying to say. I more miss my brother and sister playing with me than I miss the actual game though. Honestly, if it weren't for multiplayer/online, I probably would've dropped this game a long time ago.

If there's one thing I miss for sure (and this could be said about every game I've ever played in the history of my life) it was the feeling of exploring it for the first time, learning and growing from my mistakes, seeing it all with a fresh mind and opinion of the game. Who could forget the dramatic appearance of the Dragon, or the ultimate cheapness of De Rol Lee? Seeing those for the first time was absolutely epic, and that's one thing I'm looking forward to for PS0 (Giant Squid? =D).

If anything, I feel more that way about PSU, since it's but a mere shell now of what it once was population wise. Then again, I didn't get onto PSO online until at least a few months...or was it a year...after the official servers shut down, so I don't know how an "official" PSO community feels.

Cranberry
Oct 12, 2008, 11:11 AM
I miss playing with the Japanese players. I had some great times and cultural experiences. I was essentially raised PSO-wise by the Japanese and to this day my play philosophy is based on what I learned from them. It's a big reason I tend to put the team before myself.

I miss Episode 3 the most though. Especially since private sources have not been able to replicate it. Online Episode 3 truly did die with Sega. It's still a great offline game, but I fear the online experiences of the past are gone forever.

However, I did find a great video about Rappies. It's right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfWzp7rYR4

Banish
Oct 13, 2008, 09:52 AM
Well... Phantasy Star Online is the best Online RPG that I will always have with me everywhere no matter what, the memories and experiences of playing have much been my enjoyment. I can't seem to have enough time. It's like a part of me, when I forget to play it once in a while I feel this nagging to get back on PSO. It's a deeply interesting game that is very addicting and worth the time to play with.

I can't seem to get enough of it to forget, since it is my only way of killing time, searching for items that require time and effort which make me feel better when I find'em. The game play, the mysterious story-line, the NPCs that assist you or fight against you, the monsters and the bosses, the new areas to explore on a new world, the people and other PSO Hunters, and the awesome BGM just makes PSO so memorable.

I mean, it is hard to not forgot; for me I will remember Phantasy Star Online for it was a gift from one of my best friends, he is gone now. It used to be when I played PSO at his home, and I would be crazy because PSO had taken my interest. I think that it was because of my friend and my desire to play Phantasy Star was the start of my play time. I won't forget the joy it was when I beat levels, watching my begining characters grow into hardy hunters and slay thousands of multi monsters to come, and killing oh so many experience total wise.

Phantasy Star Online is a bit old now, but it's not that old to me. Not many people know that much about PSO, if not all but a little. It is great to see that there are places like PSOW and Ragol.co.uk and other web sites that allow us Hunters to link up from different places and parts of the world, to express our concerns and information about this wonderful game. It's a great memory of Phantasy Star, the unforgettable plots and characters I miss when PSO was online. It is a sneak peak to like, the future videogames; sort of like a preview. Phantasy Star Online is what I would miss if I could not know about it... Like, it is just waiting there, somewhere in a path, until you happen to stumble upon it and discover about it. I would hate not knowing about Phantasy Star Online, because the experience and gameplay just captures what I feel is right.