View Full Version : Phantasy Star Zero DS - With Wifi Multiplay

Pages : [1] 2

Toadthroat
Sep 9, 2008, 11:42 PM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334655

- Phantasy Star Zero (DS)
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: Sonic Team?
- Characters Art style is similar to Rockman Zero.
- Character Designer : Toshiyuki Kubooka (IdolMaster, Lunar)
- Scenario : Tooru Shiwasu (formerly in charge of the online quest on the original PSO, now a writer)
- Scenario : Teru Arai (mystery novels writer)
- New in the PSO series
- Multi play over Nintendo WiFi connection
- Chat system supports sending of stylus sketches
- Huge Dragon: Rayburn

Neogaf is a pretty reliable source of game info, so I trust this, though I can't confirm it myself.
I saw a few scans and the game looks real similar to PSO, though a little gritty due to the fact that the DS sucks at 3D.
Wifi Multiplay oughta awesome. I wonder how this will hold up against PSP.

Kent
Sep 9, 2008, 11:48 PM
Wholly Fark, seriously?

I hope it's more like Phantasy Star Online than the abysmal Phantasy Star Universe (which would fit better on the DS, anyway). This is great news.

TheOneHero
Sep 9, 2008, 11:50 PM
Sweetness.

Do you remember where you saw the scans? I can't find them anywhere. ;-;

Edit: 100% agree with Kent. >D

Kent
Sep 9, 2008, 11:52 PM
It'd be great if you could post the scans for us to see. My single intarwebz search yielded nothing. >_>

Xefi
Sep 9, 2008, 11:52 PM
Sweet! I didn't see any screenshots though. Think
you can post some here?

edit: ha ha ha...we're all asking the same question. :E

pikachief
Sep 10, 2008, 12:07 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bL6fnOq_qJM/SMdE6ZYATnI/AAAAAAAAAvs/jkRcQrRbDyw/s1600/vipper100997.jpg looks neat ^^

CHIBI PSO YAY!!!!!

EDIT: is my picture coming up? if not let me know so i can just post the link

VR-Raiden
Sep 10, 2008, 12:10 AM
omfg

a new PSO

YES!!!

^and I'm not seeing the pic

Xefi
Sep 10, 2008, 12:19 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bL6fnOq_qJM/SMdE6ZYATnI/AAAAAAAAAvs/jkRcQrRbDyw/s1600/vipper100997.jpg looks neat ^^

CHIBI PSO YAY!!!!!

EDIT: is my picture coming up? if not let me know so i can just post the link

i don't see anything. Try posting it again.

pikachief
Sep 10, 2008, 12:22 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bL6fnOq_qJM/SMdE6ZYATnI/AAAAAAAAAvs/jkRcQrRbDyw/s400/vipper100997.jpg

love teh chibi look :D

VR-Raiden
Sep 10, 2008, 12:27 AM
i need it o_o

NAO!!

pikachief
Sep 10, 2008, 12:29 AM
btw i just typed in Phantasy Star Zero in google and i found it at one of the first few things lol

Kent
Sep 10, 2008, 12:34 AM
Cross your fingers for no monthly fee. >_>

pikachief
Sep 10, 2008, 12:35 AM
oh if the PSP one didn't have im sure this wont either!

omg..... a chibi Kitty..... :O

lol im getting too excited now Gnight!

Xefi
Sep 10, 2008, 12:37 AM
lol...10 bucks a month!!! Holy horses... > : ) *joking*

dang it, that picture is so small, i can't see it too well, but
it looks like it have some nice graphic there for a DS game.

Monochrome
Sep 10, 2008, 12:42 AM
Heck yeah! Now THIS is news!! Someone tell the Hadron people to hold off awhile..

DjDragoon
Sep 10, 2008, 12:45 AM
A friend is trying to make me feel bad about still playing PSU and gave me this link:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334664

But he also gave me this link:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334655

What's going on here?

pikachief
Sep 10, 2008, 12:49 AM
dont listen to neo gaf unless its actual video game news like PS0.

there is a PS0 topic in off topic ^^

DjDragoon
Sep 10, 2008, 12:55 AM
What's unbelievable is Sonic Team having a mental break down from PSU...

I'd believe it if it was another failed sonic game tho.

Xefi
Sep 10, 2008, 12:55 AM
what's so bad about still playing PSU? I enjoyed it
even with all those delaying updates and such.

I guess your friend is just trying to demote PSU? lol.
It's not like i really know your friend's real intentions
are.

Adriano
Sep 10, 2008, 01:05 AM
yeah looks cool, but I see a racast, and is that a foney? lol
OHgod, shoot me now plz.

Syl
Sep 10, 2008, 01:09 AM
omg... DO WANT @_@

Guess I'd better work on getting a DS now >.>

Alastor_Haven
Sep 10, 2008, 01:09 AM
Pretty

Adriano
Sep 10, 2008, 01:12 AM
wait nvm, saw the pics on gaf, I Retract my statement, I dont know what the hell is in those screens.

emm
Sep 10, 2008, 01:44 AM
Hi, everyone! ^^ Not quite sure where to post this, but there will be a new Phnasty Star game for the DS called Phantasy Star 0.

http://www.gamekyo.com/news28961_sega-announces-phantasy-star-zero-for-the-nintendo-ds.html

It looks cool so far from the scans. Enjoy.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't notice that there is already a topic about this. Sorry!! ^^

LeeroyJenkem
Sep 10, 2008, 01:58 AM
Here's a better scan.

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/73601020080910_083114_0_small.jpg (http://www.gamekyo.com/images3_4_28961.html)

TheOneHero
Sep 10, 2008, 02:03 AM
I hope it's PSO style play. T_T

AlphaMinotaux
Sep 10, 2008, 02:48 AM
either way heres a scan

http://img37.picoodle.com/data/img37/3/9/9/t_pszm_8260e5a.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/9/9/f_pszm_8260e5a.jpg&srv=img37)

AlphaMinotaux
Sep 10, 2008, 02:51 AM
[/URL][URL="http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Chuckri/psz.jpg"]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Chuckri/th_psz.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/9/9/f_pszm_8260e5a.jpg&srv=img37)

Chibi_psu
Sep 10, 2008, 02:53 AM
SOLD *_*

Frog
Sep 10, 2008, 02:54 AM
OMG!!! That looks awesome!!!

This looks better than PSP! It looks more like PSO!

I have really been wanting a DS, this along with all the Dragon Quest remakes have sealed the deal!

Tyreek
Sep 10, 2008, 02:59 AM
Impressive. A new spinoff eh? And from the way they are going about it, it sounds related to PSO.

Tyreek
Sep 10, 2008, 03:01 AM
Monthly fees? For a DS game? Come on now. But this will be a must buy for me.

Chuck_Norris
Sep 10, 2008, 03:06 AM
*sigh* Well, at least the PSO fans will leave PSU alone and play their own new game. >_>

Alizarin
Sep 10, 2008, 03:08 AM
Is that a Pictochat/Symbolchat/Cut-In Chat Hybrid-ish feature I see on the right side?

That in combination with the map and what looks like hotkey and map features on the bottom screen look promising.

Soukosa
Sep 10, 2008, 03:16 AM
Yet another topic on this? It doesn't look like PSO or PSU really. Doesn't the DS still use carts as well? Not gonna be fit much into this like they could with PSP plus the tiny screen that Nintendo remains obsessed with. Not to mention no updates or anything. Its probably just gonna be some simple PS game that you can play with your friends... your offline friends.

Mike
Sep 10, 2008, 03:25 AM
What Famitsu was this? THis weeks or last weeks? I'll have to check this out.

It does, however, not look much like the PSO that's sitting in my DC at the moment though...

emm
Sep 10, 2008, 03:27 AM
Here are some clear shots of the scans. ^^

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/73601020080910_094944_0_big.jpg
http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/73601020080910_094944_1_big.jpg

Frog
Sep 10, 2008, 03:31 AM
Looks more like PSO which is probably why they went with a name that would call up that impression. Sounds like it has multiplayer wi-fi built in instead of ad-hoc mode like the PSP Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star games.

This is awesome news! I never liked PSU, and now I don't have to get a PSP. There are gazillions of DS games I want to play, and I can download demos via Wii also!

I bet they make a Monster Hunter for DS also!

:)

Adriano
Sep 10, 2008, 03:32 AM
OH cool ramar ;D
the whole western look lol

for those that don't read katakana
Racast, Fomarl, Ramar, Hucaseal , Fonewearl, Hunewm, Humarl, and Humar. from top, going counter clockwise.
Those are the tags on the characters atleast, cool, Hunewm ;D...
And it's going to fail hard if Forces are female only, and rangers male only..

Evila
Sep 10, 2008, 03:35 AM
Some translated info. Not from me, it was in the comments here: http://gonintendo.com/?p=55398#comments

Phantasy Star Zero (DS)
Publisher: SEGA
- Character Designer 窪岡俊之(Toshiyuki Kubooka) (Idol Master, Lunar)
- Scenario 師走トオル(Tooru Shiwasu) (Was in charge of original PSO quests)
- Scenario 新井輝(Teru Arai) (Mystery novelist, heavy PS* game player)
- New in the PSO series
- Multi play over Nintendo WiFi connection (yes, that means online play, not just plain wifi play)
- Chat system supports sending of stylus sketches

Also confirmed the info with a Japanese friend.

EDIT1: Added English names. That friend also read the class names. Looks like Newmans can be Hunters now too.

EDIT2: Actual high quality scans here. http://wiieveryday.blogspot.com/2008/09/famitsu-20080912.html

CHA0TIX
Sep 10, 2008, 04:26 AM
No that's more like it!

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=41335

Can this make front-page please?

Mike
Sep 10, 2008, 04:49 AM
1. No RAcaseal = instant fail. You can't not have RAcaseals. Hopefully, there will be RAcaseals.
2. On sale this winter? Good stuff.
3. Character design = blegh. The HUcaseal looks nifty but I don't like this cartoonish look.
4. Online? Woo. W00.

There's still a fair bit we don't know about this game so more information is something to look forward to. You can type forward with one hand after the o.

Natasha_M
Sep 10, 2008, 05:55 AM
From what i can read
Opening line is 'Bring your own Character into Space!'
The game is 60% complete to be released sometime in 2008
Features the Visual chat which also enables you to draw your own doodles with the DS touch screen. Old school PSO style like symbol chat is also in it.

tsk tsk soukosu shot it down too fast but it does indeed feature online wifi 1-4 players, Offline option would be the local wireless play.
Looks to feature the old style PSO classes
Raycast
Fomarl
Raymar
Humar
Hucaseal
Fonewal
Humarl

Altho soukosa does make a good point on the lack of DS hardware to support things like dl missions etc.

Yoyu
Sep 10, 2008, 05:58 AM
i knew it. >_<

SEGA is going to force me to purchase a DS for a single game? *sigh* but if it's phantasy star, i'll most likely give in.......for the collection, of course.

Dragwind
Sep 10, 2008, 06:03 AM
Mentally unstable? Please. :wacko:

If you were mentally unstable and tried working in the video game industry, chances are you wouldn't last long enough to make it through making one title.

I think the article was just made to rile fans up. Any small detail can be picked upon and exaggerated.

Seority
Sep 10, 2008, 06:08 AM
So, that Zero thing is going to be for socializing only?
I didn't see anything about game plan in it.

Oh yeah, OP, we all know that Sega screwed up badly with PSU, but people still play it regarudless. Just something that your friend has to deal with.

Seority
Sep 10, 2008, 06:10 AM
Not a DS too!
Jesus, I need to get a car first! ; _ ;

Dragwind
Sep 10, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm pretty excited to see what the gameplay will be like, but I think I'm more interested in the story honestly.

Seems like we're trekking back to Ragol, but during what time period? That artstyle looks somewhat similar to PSU's (notice the CAST wearing what seems like AMF parts).

The only thing I'll admit I'm not too excited about is the "chibi" look. I'm sure I'll get past it quickly though.

Neith
Sep 10, 2008, 06:14 AM
I see no HUnewearl. I see HUmarl. This fails. :disapprove: Unless of course HUney hasn't been announced/is HUmarl but someone messed up translation.

Nice to see Phantasy Star branching out a bit, but I'm really not too keen on the art style for this.

To be honest though, I can't see classes like RAcaseal and HUnewearl being dropped. They were too popular in PSO to warrant it. Having said that, HUnewm? D:

I'll have to wait on more details before I make an opinion. I don't own a DS anyway (I just bought a PSP for Phantasy Star Portable, dammit!), so it'll need to be amazing to warrant me buying a DS. Amazing as in not ripped-off from either PSO or PSU. I don't care what anyone says, PSO's battle system is old and cumbersome now, but PSU didn't go in the right direction for style (it looks pretty generic compared to PSO).

Anyway, here's hoping more details are announced soon.

SubstanceD
Sep 10, 2008, 06:31 AM
If I hadn't seen the screenshots with my own 2 eyes I would have never believed it. Respect to the Nintendo DS, I didn't think the handheld was powerful enough to run any version of PSO.

This game looks interesting. It looks like the gameplay is going to be more PSO then PSU which I have no problems with at all, I loved PSO. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of character creation soo far although it should be in there since it will have wifi multi player, it looks like there will be a story mode and we will be using one of the charcters in that article. Can't wait to see what it's like to play.

Freshellent
Sep 10, 2008, 06:34 AM
OH SNAP, sign me up. I'm more than down to play this.

Nai_Calus
Sep 10, 2008, 06:38 AM
Oh bawwww they put in two classes people wanted for years and don't have the most overrated class in the game, the world is ending. And yes people wanted bloody HUnewm.

Amusingly Mr. HUnewm there is the only one that doesn't look like complete crap, and that's only because I have a weakness for guys with blue hair, and he seems at least somewhat sensibly dressed for his profession.

All of those character designs are terrible, but the HUmar, RAmar and FOmarl stand out as the worst, with HUmarl a close second. HUmar is a generic anime male lead, RAmar is an oh-so-original gunslingin' cowboy and FOmarl is a fricking nun.

This had better be fucking amazing, because what we're seeing so far looks like shit. >_>

Mysterious-G
Sep 10, 2008, 06:44 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!! !!11

For the first time in my entire life I don't regret to have bought a DS!!

So damn awesome! >,<

Kizeragi
Sep 10, 2008, 06:48 AM
Perhaps I will dust off my DS. (still the old one I got on day 1 XD)

Looks interesting, I'd like to see more though.

darkante
Sep 10, 2008, 06:57 AM
Wow, iīm glad i havenīt sold my DS off.
I thought that PS serie would stay on PSP and other consoles only, but now i see they havenīt forgot us DS users.
YAY!

Ogni-XR21
Sep 10, 2008, 07:44 AM
So psyched about this one!!! YAY

Looks like a step in the right direction to me, not really sure if I will get PSP now since I don't have a PSP yet...

PS0!!!!!

unicorn
Sep 10, 2008, 07:59 AM
I almost creamed myself when I saw this. I definately want this. More than Phantasy Star Portable (because I already own PSU... >_>)

And I always loved FOmar's. :D

Not to mention I don't own a PSP because I like Nintendo products better (hence, I have a DS! :3 ).

VR-Raiden
Sep 10, 2008, 08:01 AM
ok I'm REALLY hoping this is more like PSO than PSU...

I know its sort of hard to tell but...those areas look more like PSU areas. Excessively open areas. hoping for the best >_<

Ndoto
Sep 10, 2008, 08:11 AM
I think I just had a PSOrgasm.

Burnsro
Sep 10, 2008, 08:18 AM
Does anyone else besides me notice that the areas in the scans look more like they are from PSU than PSO? Looks like the field and city from Parum. Where are locations that look more like Forest/Pioneer?

Neith
Sep 10, 2008, 08:19 AM
Oh bawwww they put in two classes people wanted for years and don't have the most overrated class in the game, the world is ending. And yes people wanted bloody HUnewm.

Considering the amount of effort that went into the HUmarl's design (loli RAmarl with melee weapons, real original there), it would've been nice to have more options. If you're gonna make Newmans able to melee, but male only, it's kinda...pointless. Of course, this is still early days, but it seems stupid to exclude classes like RAcaseal/HUnewearl if that will be the case.

I mean, so far- assuming those are all the classes... if you want to play a Force, you HAVE to be Female. If you want to play a Ranger, you HAVE to be male. I know PSO was restrictive, but goddamn. Like I said though, there's time yet to reveal more classes. Hopefully they can redeem this :roll:

Also, re-iterating that the character design looks like crap. Only FOnewearl even looks remotely like PSO (maybe RAcast..maybe). While I like the design of the HUcaseal, the rest look terrible :disapprove:

Aumi
Sep 10, 2008, 08:20 AM
Wow, looks awesome as of now. I'm gonna wait for a little more info. But I'll most likely buy it when it comes to Europe! :3 I like the drawing style and the chat function, but I just hope we'll still get HUnewearl. I'm glad that HUcaseal is official and HUmarl sounds nice too. I just hope that they did something against the female PSO characters' thin hips, looked wrong, because they just seemed too broad shouldered. Can't wait for more info on this! :D

Shinko
Sep 10, 2008, 08:29 AM
... i guess it sound ok. I'm not a hardcore PSO fan and is more of a PSU fan than PSO so it's not that big to me like it is to others. Though i do like the chibi still artwork and i did like PSO so hey i wouldn't mind getting it if it's really coming out but like i said i can wait.

unicorn
Sep 10, 2008, 08:40 AM
Considering the amount of effort that went into the HUmarl's design (loli RAmarl with melee weapons, real original there), it would've been nice to have more options. If you're gonna make Newmans able to melee, but male only, it's kinda...pointless. Of course, this is still early days, but it seems stupid to exclude classes like RAcaseal/HUnewearl if that will be the case.

I mean, so far- assuming those are all the classes... if you want to play a Force, you HAVE to be Female. If you want to play a Ranger, you HAVE to be male. I know PSO was restrictive, but goddamn. Like I said though, there's time yet to reveal more classes. Hopefully they can redeem this :roll:

Also, re-iterating that the character design looks like crap. Only FOnewearl even looks remotely like PSO (maybe RAcast..maybe). While I like the design of the HUcaseal, the rest look terrible :disapprove:

I HIGHLY doubt they're going to drop old classes. Its just one scan! XD I would be disappointed if I don't get to play as a FOmar again....but HUnewm seems interesting (though I wouldn't trade HUnewearl for it!).

What would surprise me?
RAnewm, RAnewearl, FOcast, and FOcaseal (FOcast/eal seem unlikely though, since in PSO casts couldn't tech at all. But who knows?).

Tulio07
Sep 10, 2008, 08:41 AM
<- Will get a preorder when announced in english

CelestialBlade
Sep 10, 2008, 09:05 AM
*sigh* Well, at least the PSO fans will leave PSU alone and play their own new game. >_>
This >_< Though it is pretty amusing to see people going HURR PSO IS BETTAR at every little opportunity they get XD

Regardless, looks pretty cool. As a fan of both PSU and PSO, this is flippin' awesome news.

PSULilly
Sep 10, 2008, 09:25 AM
OMG this looks AWSOME cain't wait intill this comes out!

.newzero
Sep 10, 2008, 09:29 AM
WOAH!!!!111 pure PSOrgasm!!!! :D *waits waits*

Para
Sep 10, 2008, 09:29 AM
Man compared to other versions of PSO/U, I must say the graphics are going to take a nosedive XD

Neith
Sep 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
I HIGHLY doubt they're going to drop old classes. Its just one scan! XD I would be disappointed if I don't get to play as a FOmar again....but HUnewm seems interesting (though I wouldn't trade HUnewearl for it!).

What would surprise me?
RAnewm, RAnewearl, FOcast, and FOcaseal (FOcast/eal seem unlikely though, since in PSO casts couldn't tech at all. But who knows?).

Like I said, I'm waiting for more information really. Even if HUnewearl/RAcaseal were announced, I'm not fond of this style (with the exception of HUcaseal). Considering I bought a PSP recently, the chance of me getting this is slim to none so far. :wacko:

CelestialBlade
Sep 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
You'd probably be a lot less disappointed if you just looked at this as a new game and not PSO2, which is basically all I'm seeing in this thread.

Looking forward to actual hard info, I hate judging things from scans. Does get me excited, though.

Neith
Sep 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
You'd probably be a lot less disappointed if you just looked at this as a new game and not PSO2, which is basically all I'm seeing in this thread.

Looking forward to actual hard info, I hate judging things from scans. Does get me excited, though.

It's kinda hard not to judge it as 'PSO2' when it's meant to be a new part of the PSO story. It's hard to get much from scans though, so I'll keep an eye on this anyway. It could potentially turn out well, I just find it somewhat odd they've changed the artistic style so much from PSO if it's really meant to be connected in some way.

InfiniDragon
Sep 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
As a fan of both PSO and PSU, this looks effing awesome. I can't wait.

Outrider
Sep 10, 2008, 09:56 AM
Huh. I was not expecting this one. I'm cautiously optimistic and hoping for more information to come sooner rather than later.

PEOPLE: They're not going to cut old character classes. In fact, I would wager that you'll be able to play as all the variations.

Y'know, I could see the art style working. But then again, I'm one of the few people who didn't make a ridiculously proportioned PSO character so I could run around as a "cheebee annie may" character, which I fear this style is being targeted at.

Still, it's PSO. NEW PSO. On the DS.

There's a lot to like here, if it winds up the way I'm picturing it.

My questions:

1) Are they going to be continuing or syncing up with the PSO story at all? I always felt there was a lot more they could be doing with it.

2) What ARE they going to do in regards to online/download quests? I'm guessing it'll be similar to how they basically just had modified versions of pre-existing quests on DC and GCN.

3) Is all of the gameplay going to be stylus based or will we be able to use the buttons for attacks? Naturally, that means we'll be getting "switching fatigue" if we have to keep going from buttons to stylus to chat while battling.

4) What in the world are you guys playing these days if you don't own a DS? Jeez, you're easily missing some of the best games in years. It's like being back in the days of the SNES all over again. It's amazing.

Thalui89
Sep 10, 2008, 10:04 AM
Finally a promising game for my ds...my ds has so few games since the game market for it is well..terrible :wacko:

Sinue_v2
Sep 10, 2008, 10:30 AM
Does anyone else besides me notice that the areas in the scans look more like they are from PSU than PSO? Looks like the field and city from Parum. Where are locations that look more like Forest/Pioneer?

On first blush, considering the advancement of the society seen in screenshots and the name of the title - I would assume it's a prequel, meaning we'll be playing the story of what happened before Pioneer 2 arrived. Just by looking at the weapons the characters are holding, we may even be getting the chance to explore Coral, as it looks like photonic technology isn't really advanced yet - and some of the weapons look metal. I have a feeling that we're going to see a sort of "tie-in" event come of this, even if subtle.

I don't like the art-style. It looks like a cross between Lunar and PSU's style - neither of which I care for. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but the "chibiness" of it is a real turn-off, nor do any of them look like they belong in a Phantasy Star game. I really wish they'd go back to the classic style of artwork seen in PS II & IV, and drew heavily upon in PSO. It was a defining style of the PS series I think.

But on the bright side, I guess it doesn't suck as much as Phantasy Star Gaiden's artwork. And please, for the love of god, enough with the fucking cowboys already. It might be cool in Japan, but if you expect to sell the game but outside of your small little island nation you should know a cowboy is a redneck. They haven't been cool since the Marlboro Man got throat cancer. Stylized bishi-cowboys = Brokeback Mountain in space. Nobody wants to see that.

Burnsro
Sep 10, 2008, 10:33 AM
All of those character designs are terrible, but the HUmar, RAmar and FOmarl stand out as the worst, with HUmarl a close second. HUmar is a generic anime male lead, RAmar is an oh-so-original gunslingin' cowboy and FOmarl is a fricking nun.

Yeah, the HUmar looks just like any other generic male lead from, say, Lunar. And the HUmarl looks like she's from THE iDOLM@STER. What's up with that?! RAmar is a cowboy? The RAmarl class didn't wear a cowboy hat or anything generic like that at all!

(Okay you got me on the FOmarl. Not too keen on her based on Kubooka's past excellent cleric type characters.)

Let me predict the concrete future for some of you.
-More past classes from PSO will be revealed so that none are left out.
-Plenty of character customization in comparison to PSO.
-Outfits that represent both Toshiyuki Kubooka's designs from Lunar and THE iDOLM@STER. As well as those we are used to from PSO.

Also the characters in battle in the scans have a MAG above them for those who didn't yet notice.

Whitewarrior52
Sep 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
I do like the fact that they are making another PSO game and it's for the DS (And I haven't gotten a new DS game in a while........except for FFIV DS). The only thing that bothers me about it is that graphic wise, the DS dosen't have much going for it. But who knows, Maybe this will be not only a good game in terms of gameplay but gtraphically as well (not holding my breath though).

Inazuma
Sep 10, 2008, 10:43 AM
am i the only one who doesnt like portable games? i would have much prefered a ver of pso/psu on pc or 360/ps3. its a shame that portables sell way better than consoles in japan. cant really blame ST for going where the money is but its disappointing.

it looks like there is a new phantasy star game each year. this year was psp and next year will be ps0. i hope ST hasnt forgotten about psu on pc. we need the types rebalanced and the shop system fixed so we can buy/sell items worth over 100m meseta already -_-

stukasa
Sep 10, 2008, 10:46 AM
Wow, how surprising! ^^ I'll probably get it but I'll wait to hear more before making any decisions. I wasn't able to get PS:P but I already have a DS, so I'm all set!

I actually like the art style and I don't intend on playing this online. The only things I'm interested in are: how does it play, and is it fun? It could be a great way to pass the time when I'm away from home.

Whitewarrior52
Sep 10, 2008, 10:54 AM
am i the only one who doesnt like portable games? i would have much prefered a ver of pso/psu on pc or 360/ps3. its a shame that portables sell way better than consoles in japan. cant really blame ST for going where the money is but its disappointing.

Portable gameing is fun even though good games for portables don't come by to often. It's just a nice escape from console gaming.

Kamiense
Sep 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
This is some awesome news. I love that they finally have a decent looking male Newman in the PSO side of Phantasy Star. Now I'll finally be able to make the character I've always wanted to.

GutsGO
Sep 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
I can't believe everyone is complaining about the graphics, they look amazing and show some nice style and design choices. The DS isn't a 3D powerhouse but in the right hands can display some really fluid and capable graphics (Metroid Hunters, the 3D in Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin, Ninja Gaiden DS Boss sequences).

I think the jaggedness and low poly look is handsome, it's almost like a "what if" PSO was released on Saturn, giving it an almost Burning Rangers feel to it.

Not all games have to be HD super high poly count with anti-aliasing, motion blur and bloom lighting to have a nice aesthetic.

EspioKaos
Sep 10, 2008, 11:19 AM
*equips Flame / Resist*

I just got an opportunity to read over the article, and it turns out that NeoGAF's statement that this is a new part of PSO is not entirely correct. I haven't found anything in the article stating that. The only thing that comes close is "this is a completely new game that is heavily influenced by PSO." Oh, and that big text in the middle of each page reads...

Is this Phantasy Star Online for the Nintendo DS? No! This is Phantasy Star 0, a brand new work!!

So, uh... yeah.

Neith
Sep 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
*equips Flame / Resist*

I just got an opportunity to read over the article, and it turns out that NeoGAF's statement that this is a new part of PSO is not entirely correct. I haven't found anything in the article stating that. The only thing that comes close is "this is a completely new game that is heavily influenced by PSO." Oh, and that big text in the middle of each page reads...

Is this Phantasy Star Online for the Nintendo DS? No! This is Phantasy Star 0, a brand new work!!

So, uh... yeah.

Fair enough, that's good to hear then. If it's a new title, I don't mind the characters being the way they are. It just didn't seem to fit in with PSO's art direction at all, if you get what I mean.

Burnsro
Sep 10, 2008, 12:05 PM
*equips Flame / Resist*

So, uh... yeah.

I think what they mean is that it's not a port but a whole new work from scratch.

So...why wouldn't this be in the PSO storyline? It looks so similar! I will blindly believe that they are in the same storyline until heavily proven otherwise.

Aumi
Sep 10, 2008, 12:06 PM
I really like where this is going, this has potential. I just hope that we'll see a connection to other PS games in some way, not the old alternate universe thing that many are theorizing in context with PSO, PSU and the classics. I think the art style is great, with, from what I can see as of now, smooth graphics for a DS. This is probably gonna be my first DS game in a long, long time. But I think it is because they wanted a game for the DS, that they chose to make it PSO like. The DS isn't that powerful, but, like GutsGO said, "in the right hands can display some really fluid and capable graphics." Other than that, for those who call this chibi, these proportions are pretty average for anime and manga styles. If you really call this chibi, then you haven't seen real chibi... >__>
But man, the HUmar and the RAmar are sure looking a bit... say, weird to me. The old-school cowboy style is plane stupid and that HUmar, he's just seems way too small and pretty ugly, looks like a 10 year old kid. Well, I just hope this get's a decent character creation and different types of clothing for each class.

Burnsro
Sep 10, 2008, 12:09 PM
I think the jaggedness and low poly look is handsome, it's almost like a "what if" PSO was released on Saturn, giving it an almost Burning Rangers feel to it.

Actually, given that it's a prequel and the character designer is the same as from the Lunar games for the Sega CD and Sega Saturn then we can pretend that this is a DS port of a Sega Saturn game!

Burnsro
Sep 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Teru Arai seems to be a light novel author. Here is one of his works if this is indeed the same guy.

http://www.amazon.com/Room-No-1301-Teru-Arai/dp/4829162821

Described as a Harem, Ecchi, School Life, Comedy. Doesn't sound like the "mystery novel writer" that I envisioned.

Still, at worst anything he writes for PS0 will be better than the first PSU's story.

Yoyu
Sep 10, 2008, 12:39 PM
protip - two scans don't reveal whole game.

when it comes to the ds - gameplay will mean much more & graphics, a bonus - it is hopeful that SEGA will do an excellent job in creating this offshoot/successor/redeemer, etc, etc... it doesn't look bad at all & i can tolerate the choice of character design, it would be the best of both worlds. if i want serious, i'll play PSU, if i long for nostalgia, the ds will fill that nitch. as long as they build on the combo/battle system & NOT go backwards, i'll play it - & no more wabers, please -- that makes my hair spike. oh, & keep the frame rate smooth with no slowdowns will be awesomeness. what's the ds going for these days - have prices gone down yet?

in need of higher-res famitsu scans, the ones floating around the web are pixel weak. :wacko:

jnblz316
Sep 10, 2008, 01:08 PM
Now I really have to get a DS ^_^

I am so amped!!!!

ForteGunnerW
Sep 10, 2008, 01:15 PM
Better have good graphics.. DS = bad graphics most of the time...

WBMike
Sep 10, 2008, 01:18 PM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/WBRicardo/hanewm.jpg
Hm what is this.. A HAnewm = HUnewm?

Burnsro
Sep 10, 2008, 01:20 PM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/WBRicardo/hanewm.jpg
Hm what is this.. A HAnewm?

There are two new classes:

HUnewm

HUmarl

WBMike
Sep 10, 2008, 01:25 PM
got it thanks :D

Ogni-XR21
Sep 10, 2008, 01:34 PM
As already mentioned it looks like MAG's are back, even the Photon Blast bar is where it was in PSO. In addition to the health bar there is also a PP bar, so combat is probably a mix between PSU and PSO.
I don't think these are all the classes for the game, it looks more like these are just the story characters, the upper 4 are probably the good guys while the bottom 4 could be the bad guys (would work color wise).
The button palette can be switched with the R button, I just hope there will be some easy way to select techniques on the touch screen, would really be a wasted opportunity otherwise.

I really really hope that the game is using PSO as an influence and not PSU. I wonder if there will be real lobbies or if you can only meet friends that you shared friend-codes with.

TheOneHero
Sep 10, 2008, 01:48 PM
Ogni- Geeze, real lobbies would be amazing. Chair races! >D

Few things:

~Bring back monofuilds
~Let me melee with a rod or cane
~HUnewm characters will be called "Link" and "Ganondorf"
~Symbol chat means the return of penis' :disapprove:
~Maybe some C-mode? Pretty please? D:

Eihwaz
Sep 10, 2008, 01:50 PM
I actually thought the HUnewm was a HUcast or something at first, until I saw those ears. I'm less-than-enthusiastic over the rather stereotypical designs of the other characters, but I do kinda like the goofy cowboy. :wacko:

Here's hoping it does PSO proud!

Mysterious-G
Sep 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
In addition to the health bar there is also a PP bar, so combat is probably a mix between PSU and PSO.

Well, could also just be used like the classic TP. ^^;

Anyway, is it actually confirmed that the battle system will be PSO-like?

RubyEclipse
Sep 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
Finally, it's announced! Looking forward to this a ton, the new snow fields and classes also look great. There was something about PSO's combat that I still prefer over PSU, so here's to that timing requirement. :)

We'll be hearing more news in the near future, I actually didn't know they'd be announcing it this early. Still, very glad that the word is finally out.

ErtaiClou
Sep 10, 2008, 02:02 PM
Meh, doesn't look that impressive to me. I'd much rather have the PSUp.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Sep 10, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hope this gets a US release.

CelestialBlade
Sep 10, 2008, 02:15 PM
*equips Flame / Resist*

So, uh... yeah.
Yes, thank you. I think it's a little unfair to instantly label this as another PSO just from the evident character types. But it really shows off the PSO withdrawal that seems to be present around here, wow XD

Though, "completely new" interests me more than anything. If this is a totally new game, what's it about? The word "Zero" in the title seems to imply an origins story....it still looks a little too futuristic to have anything to do with the classic series, but I wonder if it's going to attempt to relate any given pair of Phantasy Star series. Can't wait to hear more.

Mysterious-G
Sep 10, 2008, 02:43 PM
it still looks a little too futuristic to have anything to do with the classic series..

Are you serious, Chels? :p
PSI had the most futuristic set out of the PS series.
So this doesn't really look too futuristic to me to be a prequel.

Elite Hippie
Sep 10, 2008, 02:45 PM
what game is this for?
http://www.mithra.to/~psu/uploader/src/psu17088.jpg

Alastor_Haven
Sep 10, 2008, 02:50 PM
There should be a few topics floating around

Why don't you go see for your self?

Weeaboolits
Sep 10, 2008, 02:51 PM
Too futuristic? Every game in the series involves space travel.

AlphaDragoon
Sep 10, 2008, 02:52 PM
If you can't change the outfits, I'm gonna be sad. Most of the designs don't even look like they're in the same timeline as the PS series, they look too...modern-day. Not futuristic enough.

Golto
Sep 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
Its for the Nintendo DS. See all those DS's?

thematesV2
Sep 10, 2008, 03:11 PM
could that be a young red ring rico in the middle?

beatrixkiddo
Sep 10, 2008, 03:14 PM
could that be a young red ring rico in the middle?

It's a male human hunter (aka HUmar), so no. Might be Red Ring Ricky?

Kylie
Sep 10, 2008, 03:20 PM
I thought this was a joke at first, but now I'm actually pretty excited about it. I need more titles for my DS. ^^ I just wish they would announce a new expansion for PSU now.

BahnKnakyu
Sep 10, 2008, 03:32 PM
LOL@ losers in the source forum baaawing that we don't have another generic JRPG for the DS. PSO is awesome because it's not just a freakin generic JRPG, at the very least it takes some of those "generic" JRPG elements and turns it into an action beat 'em up, gameplay style that isn't terribly common amongst the over 9000 JRPG games out there.

But yeah, this is awesome. PSO on the DS. Can't wait!

Out_Kast
Sep 10, 2008, 03:35 PM
So long as I can make my RAmarl purple and have long, black hair... >3

thematesV2
Sep 10, 2008, 03:43 PM
o-k, so could that be the mastermind who owns the Casino standing between the newman and cast at the bottom.....
(trying poorly to start rumors as to ties between games.....)

Adriano
Sep 10, 2008, 03:49 PM
That's a Foney. : |

beatrixkiddo
Sep 10, 2008, 03:49 PM
No, that's a FOnewearl.

Itsuki
Sep 10, 2008, 03:57 PM
I think hes actually referring to the RAmar

CelestialBlade
Sep 10, 2008, 04:21 PM
By "too futuristic" I refer moreso to weapons, outfits, Techs, and environments. Classic PS had things like space travel, sure, but that's pretty much no big deal in PSU and PSO.

And let's face it, even Moatoob is more high-tech than Motavia ^^

DarkEliteRico
Sep 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
Nice, i love the japanese are for all their adverts...how come we can't have more ads that POP out to us

Sord
Sep 10, 2008, 04:59 PM
is that guy in blue with a saber a... HUnewm?

Leviathan
Sep 10, 2008, 04:59 PM
Leviathan rebirth again. x]
Will it for sure.

Kent
Sep 10, 2008, 05:00 PM
I really hope that you don't need a casting weapon equipped in order to use techniques - that was a bad idea.

More PSO-style and less PSU-style is always a good thing.

landman
Sep 10, 2008, 05:26 PM
Espiokaos, where is the full translation of this article? will we have to spam vivi danga on you or what? xDDDD

no, really, I want to know more about it, is it ragol/coral? is it secuele? precuele? or are there the PSO classes just for nostalgia?? will be this the new universe in the series with other games? or is just a one game for DS?? pleaseeeeeee (take your time, but do it please ;))

ChaosAngel92
Sep 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
Why everyone complaining about the Gunslinger?

By god sake my prayers are becoming reality. And finally...no fucking overloads of photon tecnology. That gives a chance of getting non generic looking weapons.
RWAR. Im really terrible excited about this....and the snowy zone looks so real good.

I want to as 2 things now:

1) WHo is doing the music? I hope Hideaki Kobayashi, Fumie Kumatani, Kenichi Tokoi realized about the big mistake that PSU music was.

2) I know its too soon to ask but, is there going to be a cuztomization character mode? Or is it going to be again the "play-with-Ethan-the-hero" mode?

Nitro Vordex
Sep 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
What I'm wondering is, if they DO have such good graphics, what did they sacrifice for that?

ChaosAngel92
Sep 10, 2008, 05:32 PM
Lets cross fingers for mags btw...

beatrixkiddo
Sep 10, 2008, 05:33 PM
Yes. Well, HAnewm technically... not sure why they did that.

HUcaseal is "hyu-cashi-ru" in katakana. HUmar is "hyu-ma-". HUnewm(HAnewm?) is "hanyu-mu".

SO, it's either an odd typo, or there's something unique about him that doesn't make him exactly a HUnter. Might be a combo between Hunter and Ranger? No clue D:

MegaZoneXE
Sep 10, 2008, 05:54 PM
Oh My GOODness!!! :D
*blows the dust off my DS*

Page 1 (Left)
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z72/MegaZoneEX/news_img_13237_0.jpg

Page 2 (Right)
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z72/MegaZoneEX/73601020080910_094944_1_big.jpg

@ http://www.gamekyo.com/news28961_sega-announces-phantasy-star-zero-for-the-nintendo-ds.html
"Sega has announced Phantasy Star Zero for the Nintendo DS in the latest Famitsu magazine. The game is due for release next winter in Japan."

Leviathan
Sep 10, 2008, 06:00 PM
Character designs this time around look's a little more realistic compared to PSO's weird get ups.

Sord
Sep 10, 2008, 06:10 PM

HUcaseal is "hyu-cashi-ru" in katakana. HUmar is "hyu-ma-". HUnewm(HAnewm?) is "hanyu-mu".

SO, it's either an odd typo, or there's something unique about him that doesn't make him exactly a HUnter. Might be a combo between Hunter and Ranger? No clue D:

They'll probably change the pronunciation when it gets translated though regardless of any purposeful intent the original pronunciation may have had.

AC9breaker
Sep 10, 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up. Sega has had a shitty track record as of recently and I really doubtful on their ability to deliver. They seem to have developed an incredible ability of turning something that is promising into shit.

VR-Raiden
Sep 10, 2008, 06:15 PM
^painful, but true >_<

Kent
Sep 10, 2008, 06:17 PM
Anyone have the article translated yet?

Nitro Vordex
Sep 10, 2008, 06:25 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up. Sega has had a shitty track record as of recently and I really doubtful on their ability to deliver. They seem to have developed an incredible ability of turning something that is promising into shit.
More recently, it looks like they're at least trying to clean up their act.

Also, I think the characters were "chibi" mainly because if they're smaller, it's lees detail they have to do.

SilverShadow117
Sep 10, 2008, 06:26 PM
Good thing I bought a DS and a psp. There have been a lot of crappy DS games lately but thank god something good is coming to the DS. I would still prefer a PSO remake for the 360, but this is good enough for now. I'm not a fan of DS graphics though, can the pure epicness of a PSO game make me forget about horrible DS graphics? I wonder 8-)

Nitro Vordex
Sep 10, 2008, 06:32 PM
They seemed to do okay for the 6-7 years they had the servers up. :/ (Despite the hacking of course.)

Anyways, I'm anticipating this. Want to see more before I decide though.

McLaughlin
Sep 10, 2008, 06:33 PM

Truth be here.

Until I see some positive things about it after release, I shall not taint my DS with a SEGA game.

EspioKaos
Sep 10, 2008, 07:06 PM
I won't format my translation like the article, but I'm sure you guys won't mind that much. So, here are the main bullet points of it. (Minus the staff thing since that was already covered very nicely.) A few of these points have already been covered, but I'll list them again since I'm copy-pasting this from what I posted at PSUPedia and a second mention couldn't hurt (that much).

* NeoGAF's assumption of this being a new part of the PSO series is a bit off. I guess it can't really be confirmed one way or the other, but all the article says is that ZERO is an entirely new game that "borrows heavily from PSO." No mention at all of a direct connection to PSO (as in a sequel or prequel).
* There will be a single-player story mode.
* The game will support up to four players both online (via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection) and through local area connections.
* Visual chat is basically an in-game version of Pictochat. (In fact, it's actually called "Pictochat" in the screenshots.)
* Your chat options include "chat" for writing out text and "symbol" for drawing pictures. (It's not confirmed, but I assume you'll be able to save a certain number of your drawings as shortcuts. After putting as much time into them as some of the examples show, I'd hope so.)
* Chat can be used in the fields and in lobbies. It appears that lobby actions will also return (notice HUmar dude jumping with his right finger in the air in the city picture).
* Three fields have been named: Glaceas Ravine, Riou Snowfield and Ozett Swamp.
* One boss was revealed, a dragon known as Rayburn.
* New features will be added to the battle system, one of which is a chain system. No details are given, however.
* The bottom screen will display your HP and PP (I assume this works just like TP did in PSO), action pallet (it appears that the R button will swap to a second pallet), map, chat options and your teammates' HP. You can press the start button to access the menu, and there's also your little connection strength indicator for online/wireless play.
* Scheduled to be released in Japan some time this winter.

There is no mention of how it connects to previous Phantasy Star titles. No mention of what star system it takes place in of what planet(s) it takes place on. Character creation is alluded to, but only by a hysterical ("Will you be able to create your own character as the hero!?") screenshot comment.

DarK-SuN
Sep 10, 2008, 07:10 PM
Funny, because about a week ago me and a group of friends were talking on our Vent server how PSU works on the PSP, but that a more "PSO oriented" PS game would be cool and would work on the DS.
Lo and behold, apparently Sonic Team agrees! :D

Even if Phantasy Star ZERO is unrelated to PSO, another PS game is always welcome and I'll definitely buy it no matter what (I'm a PS game collector), and like some said, being "ZERO" does give the hint that it's a possible prequel to something (maybe Coral, pre-Ragol PSO, like many have said, that'd be cool).

Looking forward to it, will go along well with Phantasy Star Portable.

Edit: And thanks, Espio! You posted while I was posting. :)

SuperChoco
Sep 10, 2008, 07:14 PM
Though I loved PSO, I hated how short it was. Hopefully this time it will be...
A. More Balanced between classes
B. The ability to use your single player char. as your multiplayer char and vise versa.
C. Online must NOT suck.
D. Multiplayer would actually be good(looking at you crystal chronicles RoF)
E. A much improved battle mode.
F. Use pp for something different besides techs, PSU was a start, but I would prefer the character to have the pp and the photon arts/techs be usable by all weapons.
G.All of the above, and MORE!!!

plz?

EspioKaos
Sep 10, 2008, 07:18 PM

HUnewearl (ハニュエール) is like that in Japanese, too. (Even the HUnewm prototype shown in one of the old PSO artbooks.) I've always been curious about why ハ was used instead of ヒュー, but I've never found an answer. I mean, in Japanese ハ would make more sense coming from ハンター, but ヒュー flows better, in my opinion (though it does provoke thoughts of ヒューマン initially).

beatrixkiddo
Sep 10, 2008, 07:20 PM
Oh it is? Hmmm, maybe they thought hyunyu would be too hard to say D:

In that case, guess he's probably just a plain old HUnewm, which is awesome ;o~

EspioKaos
Sep 10, 2008, 07:25 PM
In that case, guess he's probably just a plain old HUnewm, which is awesome ;o~
'cept he looks all cybernetic (special exoskeleton for added strength, maybe?). I still prefer the prototype HULKnewm (http://keffypoo.free.fr/?Qwd=./pso/art&Qif=hunewm.jpg&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=M). :lol:

beatrixkiddo
Sep 10, 2008, 07:27 PM
I don't, reminded me of Ganon too much D:

ChaosAngel92
Sep 10, 2008, 07:59 PM
and yet...more Dragon reskins! :D

Ken_Silver
Sep 10, 2008, 08:05 PM
If you can't change the outfits, I'm gonna be sad. Most of the designs don't even look like they're in the same timeline as the PS series, they look too...modern-day. Not futuristic enough.

That. And why is this in the off topic section? Kind of lame? I was looking for the PSZ thread. Suppose the PSZ game will get its own thread once the game gets close to a Japanese release. Like PSP did.

H3Av3NS PUNISH3R
Sep 10, 2008, 08:13 PM
I was waiting for something like this...
Since this game is supported by wifi, I think friend codes will be in it.

Mike
Sep 10, 2008, 08:28 PM
This I like, I can hear the sound effect now! :D
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m143/z026445/73601020080910_094944_1_big.jpg

However, no matter how much I look at the character designs in this article, I can't bring myself to like anything but the Hucaseal, Hunewm, and the Racast. It's too small and their clothes are too cliche. Heck, the Humar looks like he's about to pull out a pokeball and unleash some 10,000 volt fury on some unsuspecting Booma. I can like the chat system. I can like the multiplayer mode. In fact, I really really like both of those. But without more information on the story and system, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Omega_Weltall
Sep 10, 2008, 10:27 PM
Guess i'm the only one HORRIBLY disappointed in this. But i suppose its too much to ask for them to make a Phantasy Star 5 or a PS game NOT like PSO or PSU but closer to the originals... the graphics look great for the DS but... once again another cutesy game full off shotas and lolis, heh look at the weapon designs for PSP a double saber with hearts on the end? A wand in the shape of a butterfly?!(I am well aware that PS1 had a Cat as a character but that cat was badass :P) I'll pass on this one.

Sexy_Raine
Sep 10, 2008, 10:44 PM
Somewhat interesting. Bring back the PSO styled classes where each type is actually unique, then we'll talk.

I don't have a DS. And it doesn't really interest me, other than Castlevania of course.

Tigernado
Sep 10, 2008, 11:01 PM
I love this news. The style is a welcome change, at least I'm not bothered by it. They didn't say who's making the music though. I can't wait to hear more gameplay details! Looks like a PSO-PSU hybrid so far.

Toadthroat
Sep 10, 2008, 11:32 PM
Somewhat interesting. Bring back the PSO styled classes where each type is actually unique, then we'll talk.

If you've looked through the thread, thats what they seem to be doing.

landman
Sep 11, 2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the information Espio!!!

Now I can't wait for more information to be announced (TGS????)

MSAksion
Sep 11, 2008, 12:53 AM
I'd like it if this "Symbol Chat" would take full advantage of the DS Stylus. Now you can "WRITE" messages to your friends and use it to click on what you want to KILL simulating a mouse control.

BTW a Cowboy Gunslinger. I'm sold.

Poignantswine
Sep 11, 2008, 01:12 AM
Having just acquired a DS, and with a PSP nowhere in my future (I'm broke!), SEGA just made my day!

Ogni-XR21
Sep 11, 2008, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the translation Espio!

I hope the mentioned lobbies are 'real' lobbies to meet other players and not just to idle with your existing party...

mvffin
Sep 11, 2008, 02:30 AM
It wouldn't be hard to have DLC on the DS. As long as the cart has more space than needed for the full game + save games, its totally doable.

Hoping the battle system is a step up from PSO, using three basic moves again, i dunno how well I can adjust to that now.

I'll give it a try though. As long as it has a nice female cast selection, I'm in.

GutsGO
Sep 11, 2008, 08:54 AM
It wouldn't be hard to have DLC on the DS. As long as the cart has more space than needed for the full game + save games, its totally doable.

Hoping the battle system is a step up from PSO, using three basic moves again, i dunno how well I can adjust to that now.

I'll give it a try though. As long as it has a nice female cast selection, I'm in.
They can also use the GBA slot for a memory card to keep saves, patches etc.

MrPOW
Sep 11, 2008, 09:57 AM
I would just like to say:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Darklighter
Sep 11, 2008, 09:57 AM
Hmm, this has me intrested to say the least. Still where I'll find the time for three Phanstay Star games is beyond me.

omkire26
Sep 11, 2008, 11:03 AM
Why are people complaining about the Character Models? I'd take those over the outdated ones in PSO anyday. Plus you are gonna be able to customize them and change the color. Some people always have to complain no matter what.

Zorafim
Sep 11, 2008, 11:46 AM
Huh, that HUnewm looks pretty nice. Though I can tell it's heavily based on a stereotype, I'm glad they recycled the newman archetype they threw away when they made PSU. Hell, I may finally have the guts to make a male character for once.

So, what, they're going to make another universe for this to take place in? I guess that makes sense, but that also means the game won't be as good as a main game, going by how other companies treated this type of game. I don't feel this game is going to be a PSO (or even PS) veteran's dream come true, but it'll be nice as a side distraction.

Assuming, of course, that isn't yet another dragon reskin I see.

Middle
Sep 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
Assuming, of course, that isn't yet another dragon reskin I see.

I think this dude will be like the Dragon in PSO was... though it would be okay if there aren't other reskins of it in that game....
you cant complain about converting something to another game, because someone new to PS could buy the game and for him its totally a new enemy...
and i think i would miss that tiny dragonthing if its not even in the game ....

and the charcters look very nice... except the HUmar ... that dude really looks like a digimon/monsterrancher-thing...
the others are very nice

Roberto14
Sep 11, 2008, 12:27 PM
yo thats fuckin sweet!! im so getting that!

Sord
Sep 11, 2008, 12:46 PM
Plus you are gonna be able to customize them and change the color.

I have yet to read anything about that. And it probably doesn't mean much so early, but if you look at all the screencaps, all chars seem to be displayed as the drawn forms. As if we're going to form a party out of the classes we want.

PostOfficeBandit
Sep 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
I'm super stoked about this game. My main hope is that it takes place in the Algol Star system, and that we would be able to fight cameo bosses like Medusa, or Zio.

Burnsro
Sep 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
I have yet to read anything about that. And it probably doesn't mean much so early, but if you look at all the screencaps, all chars seem to be displayed as the drawn forms. As if we're going to form a party out of the classes we want.

Because PSO's early screenshots/first trailer totally didn't show the default characters based on the artwork.

seph_monkey
Sep 11, 2008, 03:56 PM
aww yeah this is freakin awsome news to me i like pso/u and i like nintendo so theres that hahaha

i hope it turns out gewd, and by gewd i mean fun and interesting (im not much the hardcore gamer so i dont complain about little things)

ill really be looking forward to this

pikachief
Sep 11, 2008, 04:29 PM
curses i must be a good little boy for my R4 for my DS is gone! D:

no pirating for me! D: lololololol XD

wasnt going to anyways i just use it because my little sister loses my games all teh time so i would put all my games on that 1 cartridge so i wouldn't lose them really..... she lost that one now -_- lol

Saligun
Sep 11, 2008, 04:43 PM
Do you think PSO 0 will get a thread of it's own soon?

beatrixkiddo
Sep 11, 2008, 05:01 PM
It seems to have several already...

TheOneHero
Sep 11, 2008, 05:16 PM
http://pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150536

Nitro Vordex
Sep 11, 2008, 05:24 PM
They can also use the GBA slot for a memory card to keep saves, patches etc.
I hope that they implement this, it would be a great thing. Something actually useful for the GBA slot while using the DS slot.

landman
Sep 11, 2008, 06:57 PM
I'm super stoked about this game. My main hope is that it takes place in the Algol Star system, and that we would be able to fight cameo bosses like Medusa, or Zio.
If that was the case don't you think they would have shown some motavians and dezolians? and newman with furry ears like Algolian newman...

Mike
Sep 11, 2008, 07:28 PM
I hope that they implement this, it would be a great thing. Something actually useful for the GBA slot while using the DS slot.

Has any other DS game done this?

Middle
Sep 11, 2008, 07:32 PM
no so its about time ...
but there was ne free online RPG on the DS yet ... though

Astarin
Sep 11, 2008, 07:41 PM
Well, Guitar Hero DS used the GBA slot for the guitar peripheral... thing. And Pokemon Diamond and Pearl let you transfer stuff from the GBA games using the slot, as well as changing certain things in-game if you had one of the old GBA games in the slot. The functionality has been used.

I am undecided about this game. On the one hand, I have a DS, and have looked with envy at the news about Phantasy Star Portable, for PSP. On the other hand... this doesn't look as good. Not a huge fan of the art style, it's a little SD for me. I'll have to see what combat/gameplay is like. If it's a good, solid action RPG, I'm sold. I'm a sucker for those. I'm just afraid it'll be sloppily done.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 11, 2008, 09:36 PM
Well, not saves or anything, but some games did have extras if had a game.

Example: Megaman Starforce, if you had a Megaman Battle Network game in your GBA slot, you can get an extra equip for you buster.

Weeaboolits
Sep 11, 2008, 09:39 PM
Go go bonus for having Phantasy Star Collection. :D

Saligun
Sep 11, 2008, 10:02 PM
Wait!!! Will those of us outside japan be able to buy this or is this another import only deal like the PSP version?

beatrixkiddo
Sep 11, 2008, 10:03 PM
Considering the JP version was JUST discovered, it's way too early to guess about a US release.

TheOneHero
Sep 11, 2008, 10:04 PM
No news on if it's planned to be released in North America yet.

Least the DS is region free? >D

Nitro Vordex
Sep 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
No news on if it's planned to be released in North America yet.

Least the DS is region free? >D
I must unlock my regionalized brain. :wacko:

pikachief
Sep 12, 2008, 12:50 AM
Wait!!! Will those of us outside japan be able to buy this or is this another import only deal like the PSP version?

well the PSP one may be US too we still dont know so im gonna wait a while for this one, i really want it but i need it in english cuz my cousin is planning on getting it too cuz the main thing he liked about PSO was playing multi-player with me. :)

but yea also the GBA cart has been used as a rumble pack for a few games like Metroid Pinball

Hucast-Kireek
Sep 12, 2008, 01:26 AM
Can you create your own character in this game?

ShadowDragon28
Sep 12, 2008, 02:33 AM
This seems potentionally pretty dang awesome ( *prays for custom character creation and numerous outfit options*).

Like many old school phans of the orignal Phantasy Star rpg's, I to long for a "Ps V" i.e, a Ps rpg in the relative style of Ps I, II, IV.

What I'd love to see is Rie and Yoshibon w/ Wowworks create a PROPER fully
fleshed-out remake of the FIRST Phantasy Star, with excellent 2.5-D visuals, with expanded gameplay and high-quality real-time 3-D Dungeon mazes (not just simple textured flat plains like in PS: Generation 1 V_V )

PS:Gen 1 was nice...but I want a remake that really takes things further both gameplay wise and graphically; and communicating with certain monster races NEEDs to be brought back dang it!

xXDynamosXx
Sep 12, 2008, 02:34 AM
i'm thinking that since it follows closely to the PSO series i would think you could, PSO was one of the few games to allow total customizing.. at least to some level.. it wouldn't be phantasy star without it. and also yea.. i think if we wait a little while PSP will be released in the US as will this game, however sega hasn't had the best results with US releases.. namely caused by the abundance of hackers and and semi-poor sales compared to the japanese counterparts. hopefully zero will be similar to PSO in the lobby layout with teamlist.. that would be all the more reason i need to pick up another ds :) .. and hopefully the security will remain strong.. i'd hate to see another pso die short from bad hackers =/

Arika
Sep 12, 2008, 04:26 AM
http://www.gconsole.com/newstaff/phantasystarzero02zl7.jpg
from the scan, I see that are using JP Manga style as cut-in chat.
Well.. that made me think that this game made for JP only, and not gonna make Eng ver.

Mike
Sep 12, 2008, 04:32 AM
http://www.gconsole.com/newstaff/phantasystarzero02zl7.jpg
from the scan, I see that are using JP Manga style as cut-in chat.
Well.. that made me think that this game made for JP only, and not gonna make Eng ver.

From what information has been posted, I assume that it not any kind of PSU-style cut in chat but pictures drawn and saved by the players. How does this limit any kind of English release?

Arika
Sep 12, 2008, 04:47 AM
From what information has been posted, I assume that it not any kind of PSU-style cut in chat but pictures drawn and saved by the players. How does this limit any kind of English release?
The letter is drawn, but the picture of character, I don't think it is drawing, more like selection.

Mike
Sep 12, 2008, 05:09 AM
The letter is drawn, but the picture of character, I don't think it is drawing, more like selection.

That may be. Given some of the other example in the article, I'm pretty sure those are drawn. We'll have to wait for some more information but even if the pictures are pre-loaded, what would prevent someone from using English or some other language with them?

Arika
Sep 12, 2008, 05:48 AM
That may be. Given some of the other example in the article, I'm pretty sure those are drawn. We'll have to wait for some more information but even if the pictures are pre-loaded, what would prevent someone from using English or some other language with them?

When they has intention to make it JP-style, I would think they didn't plan for international server.
character design style and other stuff also make me think that this game is likely JP only.
obviously, if they gonna do it in ENG ver, nothing will prevent them, what I meant is that, it is just unlikely.

emm
Sep 12, 2008, 05:53 AM
First screens!

http://www.gamekyo.com/news28991_phantasy-star-0-first-official-screenshots.html

Para
Sep 12, 2008, 06:15 AM
First screens!

http://www.gamekyo.com/news28991_phantasy-star-0-first-official-screenshots.html

Doesn't look too bad at all for a DS game.

EspioKaos
Sep 12, 2008, 06:24 AM
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/

The official Japanese website for Phantasy Star Zero has just been unveiled! A few things of note from it:

* The intent of the game's title is to provoke a feeling of "returning to origins."
* There will be three races and 14 classes.
* You will be able to create your own character.
* The game will take place on the Earth and its moon.
* We have Rappies. (Well, that was a given. But now screenshots confirm it.)
* Dylon City is another new area. (Though, this seems to be a lobby with NPCs as opposed to a battlefield.)

The site says to expect more information this October.

Adriano
Sep 12, 2008, 06:55 AM
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/

well that's a relief!
: > I'm okay now.

EspioKaos
Sep 12, 2008, 06:57 AM
The pictures are drawn by the player.

Adriano
Sep 12, 2008, 07:30 AM
So if it has all classes minus, ranewm/ranewearl, focast/focaseal. Then it will come out to 14.
Those since that's probably what are going to be missing.

Arika
Sep 12, 2008, 07:33 AM
So they are pretty good at it O,O.
those look just like how the 4 JP manga (official one like Shonen Jump) look.
lol, so what about players who can't draw, can they download pic ?

anyway, I see this as a bad news, because it give them excuse to not make a new expansion?

EspioKaos
Sep 12, 2008, 08:23 AM
Didn't notice it before (so I just added it a few posts up), but one of the new city screenshots has a caption that names a new area. It's called Dylon City. I see lots of NPCs, so I imagine this is more of a lobby than a field.

DarK-SuN
Sep 12, 2008, 08:24 AM
The screenshots don't look bad at all!
Now I'm even more interested.

Thanks for the translation once again, Espio. :)

EspioKaos
Sep 12, 2008, 09:33 AM
So, is it just me, or is that FOnewearl casting techniques with a... lamppost? >_>;

unicorn
Sep 12, 2008, 09:35 AM
So if it has all classes minus, ranewm/ranewearl, focast/focaseal. Then it will come out to 14.
Those since that's probably what are going to be missing.

This makes me sad. But I guess I can live. As long as I'll be able to make a FOmar and HUnewm, then I'm fine.

Although it would have been cool to finally have RAnewm/earl and FOcast/aseal.

Frog
Sep 12, 2008, 09:52 AM

Free online and custom characters!!!

Sold!!!

I just need a DS now! I am gonna play all the new Castlevanias and Metroids!!!

VR-Raiden
Sep 12, 2008, 10:09 AM
* The intent of the game's title is to provoke a feeling of "returning to origins."

Haha, sega said that about the past few horrible sonic games. Lets hope they actually mean it this time.
but is it being done by Sonic Team?

I am so hyped for this :o

Mike
Sep 12, 2008, 10:15 AM
I still don't like these character designs and the more I look at it, the game world is looking worse and worse. However, it still beats the Caves. Freaking Caves :D
It says they pushed the limits of the DS hardware for this. They should probably push a little harder.

Ogni-XR21
Sep 12, 2008, 10:55 AM
I hope they stick with the "Cast = no techniques" rule they had for PSO and let cast see and set traps again.

Man I'm so psyched for this!!!

Sexy_Raine
Sep 12, 2008, 12:27 PM
Let me just add they better not do that race special bullshit, where Humans and newmans get nothing.

Get rid of race specials altogether. If not then every race should have one, but I'd rather see no race specials at all just to see the Cast SUV fans cry. :evil:

TheOneHero
Sep 12, 2008, 12:40 PM
I hope they stick with the "Cast = no techniques" rule they had for PSO and let cast see and set traps again.

Agreed.

I seriously hope they get rid of the bloody, "LOL U NED ROD TO CASTT!!!111!!!"

Totally forgot to add the screens look nice, I might just end up importing this baby.

Burnsro
Sep 12, 2008, 12:43 PM
I still don't like these character designs and the more I look at it, the game world is looking worse and worse. However, it still beats the Caves. Freaking Caves :D
It says they pushed the limits of the DS hardware for this. They should probably push a little harder.

The character designs are appropriate for a handheld title. The character designer is a good one too. He has designed iconic characters such as Ghaleon, Lucia, the iM@S girls, etc. I think you'll all find the characters quite endearing as new art is released and after you get the game and engage in the single player story mode and learn more about the characters.

It doesn't beat Caves. They need to have more enclosed areas if they want it to be like PSO was.

They are pushing the limits of the DS hardware. What other game is a fully 3D online multiplayer action RPG for the DS? This is amazing considering the very limited hardware that they have to work with. Comparable hardware to the DS would be the Sega Saturn and PS1. I don't recall an action RPG ever looking this good on them. They had to resort to 2D sprites a la Grandia, Tales of Destiny, etc. Show me another game on the DS that beats this.

Adriano
Sep 12, 2008, 12:43 PM
Ripping lampposts out of the ground to cast=win ;D

Kendrik
Sep 12, 2008, 12:59 PM
I... will... definitely be ordering this from renchi.com (since they gave me a good deal on PSPortable). Cannot. Wait.

Heck... it even has Wi-Fi Connection play. How sweet is that? I love PSPortable, but the lack of any Infrastructure support made me slightly sad.

Cannot. Wait.

SilverShadow117
Sep 12, 2008, 01:51 PM
Show me another game on the DS that beats this.
Halo 2 DS, but they cancelled that :-P

Aumi
Sep 12, 2008, 02:17 PM
Now it's official, I'm so gonna buy this. Can't wait, it looks pretty god damn nice for a DS title. At last my DS gets something to do too, other than my PS3 and occasionally the Wii. I'm so hyped for this! :D

TalHex
Sep 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
it would be cool if it took place on coral as a prequel to PSO

Shadix
Sep 12, 2008, 02:58 PM
Agreed.

I seriously they get rid of the bloody, "LOL U NED ROD TO CASTT!!!111!!!"

Totally forgot to add the screens look nice, I might just end up importing this baby.

You forgot the part where CASTs were somehow getting poisoned! Robots + Status effects don't go well together.

CupOfCoffee
Sep 12, 2008, 02:59 PM
Having skipped PSU and quit at the end of PSO, the character design for this game makes me want to pull my hair out. Like Sinew said, it looks like a mix of Lunar and PSU and other random trash from the Big Bargain Bin of Generic Anime, and I can see this game either being surprisingly fun or as terrible as we should probably all assume it will be... so I'm torn. I wouldn't get hyped up for it yet--even if it's every bit as charming and unexpected as PSO was back in the day, can anyone see it really having the same longevity? Part of me is reminded of how after Wind Waker, every new "sideline" Zelda title was at least a little influenced by WW's cel-shaded art direction despite the heavily mixed reviews. I fear PSU may have become Sonic Team's Wind Waker.

Still... I'd probably not be able to hold myself back from picking it up if I really did see it on a shelf. I mean, seriously? PSO? ON DS?! Horrible or not, I'd have to at least give that a quick run through for nostalgia's sake, if nothing else.

Outrider
Sep 12, 2008, 03:50 PM
I've never understood this idea that Wind Waker was somehow unsuccessful both critically and sales-wise. Pretty much the only people who were unhappy with it were forum trolls. Ah well.[/tangent]

I dunno. Do they really look like PSU characters? I'm not terribly familiar with the game, and I mean, I see that PSZero has clothing in the costumes instead of the bizarre puffy (but neat-looking) costumes of PSO, but I don't know. The more I see of this, the less like a Phantasy Star game it looks and the more it looks like Star Ocean or one of those other fantasy/sci-fi mash-up RPGs. The character designs themselves seem all over the place. The Casts and the HUnewm both look right out of PSO, but the others look more Tales of Symphonia than anything else.

It's funny, I remember when PSU came out, I (and I think some others) couldn't help but comment on how generic the art style for that game looked and now the whole thing seems to be repeating itself.

I want to see the game more, obviously. Just wanted to put my thoughts down a bit more.

Toadthroat
Sep 12, 2008, 04:18 PM
Derp nevermind, was beaten to the punch.

thematesV2
Sep 12, 2008, 04:26 PM
nice one Kiddo! that was a sweet setup.

Aumi
Sep 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
I've never understood this idea that Wind Waker was somehow unsuccessful both critically and sales-wise. Pretty much the only people who were unhappy with it were forum trolls. Ah well.[/tangent]

I dunno. Do they really look like PSU characters? I'm not terribly familiar with the game, and I mean, I see that PSZero has clothing in the costumes instead of the bizarre puffy (but neat-looking) costumes of PSO, but I don't know. The more I see of this, the less like a Phantasy Star game it looks and the more it looks like Star Ocean or one of those other fantasy/sci-fi mash-up RPGs. The character designs themselves seem all over the place. The Casts and the HUnewm both look right out of PSO, but the others look more Tales of Symphonia than anything else.

It's funny, I remember when PSU came out, I (and I think some others) couldn't help but comment on how generic the art style for that game looked and now the whole thing seems to be repeating itself.

I want to see the game more, obviously. Just wanted to put my thoughts down a bit more.

Well, but this is typical for such handheld, or often Nintendo spin-offs. The art style gets more cartoonish, like in FF Crystal Chronicles.

Burnsro
Sep 12, 2008, 06:22 PM
All of you haters are going to be eating delicious crow once this game comes out.

We've been asking for SEGA to go back to being more like PSO for their next installment and they did. The horribly generic character designs of PSU have been remedied by SEGA hiring Toshiyuki Kubooka. This character designer has created some of the most iconic characters. They are NOT generic. He is a CLASSIC character designer from the Sega CD era of gaming.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/burnsro/lsssc22.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/burnsro/eb2.jpg

And who can forget Ghaleon?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/burnsro/ghaleon.jpg

Another game he did the character design was THE iDOLM@STER. The videogame with the most fanart created for EVER.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/burnsro/imas1.jpg

It would make sense that the characters have been simplified in the art since the graphics are going to be simplified as well.

Also, PSU had a horribly generic story. SEGA has remedied this off the bat by hiring one of Japan's most popular light novel authors, Teru Arai.

So let's see
- Returns to PSO style like people have wanted
- Better characters than PSU
- Better story than PSU
- Uses the DS to the fullest with interesting new features
- No negatives have yet been seen apart from speculation, dissapointment that the DS isn't capable of PSP quality graphics, and the choice of a new character designer who, although quite different and less detailed, is capable of creating characters whom the player loves immensely, look at Lunar-NET and iM@S fan videos/fan art, and better suits a handheld device and it's broadened target audience.

TheOneHero
Sep 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
Another game he did the character design was THE iDOLM@STER. The videogame with the most fanart created for EVER.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/burnsro/imas1.jpg

I can see why there's so much fan art for it! :wacko:

Foxix
Sep 12, 2008, 07:01 PM
OH shi! this looks awesome

EspioKaos
Sep 12, 2008, 07:05 PM
- Better story than PSU

Eh... how do you know? We know jack about the story, and we've yet to meet a single character to "know" them. This is as much speculation as what others are putting out.

pikachief
Sep 12, 2008, 08:03 PM
does anyone think they'll go with PSU or PSO battle system?

also do u think we'll have PAs or not?

and do u think we'll have PSO looking spells or PSU looking spells?

i know we don't know, im just asking what u guys think :)

Mike
Sep 12, 2008, 08:05 PM
The horribly generic character designs of PSU have been remedied by ... They are NOT generic. He is a CLASSIC character designer from the Sega CD era of gaming.

So I'm picking and choosing a bit here but here we go: Horribly generic? As in what? You've got a fair bit of customization in PSU from your head down. If anything, they went for an older Phantasy Star look for the characters. You don't have to be classic to do generic.

No negatives have yet been seen apart from speculation, dissapointment that the DS isn't capable of PSP quality graphics, and the choice of a new character designer who, although quite different and less detailed, is capable of creating characters whom the player loves immensely, look at Lunar-NET and iM@S fan videos/fan art, and better suits a handheld device and it's broadened target audience.

I wouldn't say less detailed. Very very different from what we've seen from past Phantasy Star games, but not any less detailed. But details and character designers are only half of the equation. If the story isn't good, players won't love the characters. I disagree that the target audience is broadened. If anything, the target age has been lowered. I stand by my previous 10,000 volted Booma post from before.

We have very little substance to go on at the moment. So anything negative and anything positive aside from what Sega has said is speculation.

does anyone think they'll go with PSU or PSO battle system?

We need to wait for more pictures for that but giving the pallet, I'd say PSO-styled system with no PAs. I predict you will need some kind of rod/staff to cast though :P

pikachief
Sep 12, 2008, 08:29 PM
ahh yes mike i just checked it does seem like no pallet, so just 1 weapon at a time.

but the point of using a weapon to cast magic was because the PA system forced them to have it equipped to a weapon to be used so i think the spell casting can be used without a weapon, hopefully :D

Burnsro
Sep 12, 2008, 08:48 PM
Eh... how do you know? We know jack about the story, and we've yet to meet a single character to "know" them. This is as much speculation as what others are putting out.
The people chosen to be in charge of the characters and story are not speculation. They are known and based on their past proven records we can use deductive reasoning.

* All major games that Toshiyuki Kubooka has worked on has had likable characters. (major premise)
* Toshiyuki Kubooka is doing character designs for Phantasy Star Zero. (minor premise)
* Phantasy Star Zero will have likable characters. (conclusion)

Toadthroat
Sep 12, 2008, 08:51 PM
All Recent Sega games have been shit (major premise)
Phantasy Star Zero is a Sega Game (minor premise)
Phantasy Star Zero will be shit (conclusion)

Rayokarna
Sep 12, 2008, 09:13 PM

So let's see
- Returns to PSO style like people have wanted
- Better story than PSU

LOL this isn't fact at all. This is down to opinion. If you prefer PSO over PSU that's fine but to state your opinion as fact for a game that aint come out yet is stupid.

Your so driven for your fanboyism for PSO what your saying don't even make any sense.

EspioKaos
Sep 12, 2008, 09:19 PM
The people chosen to be in charge of the characters and story are not speculation. They are known and based on their past proven records we can use deductive reasoning.

* All major games that Toshiyuki Kubooka has worked on has had likable characters. (major premise)
* Toshiyuki Kubooka is doing character designs for Phantasy Star Zero. (minor premise)
* Phantasy Star Zero will have likable characters. (conclusion)
The creators may be fact, but just because they've got good track records (in your opinion), it doesn't mean that what they contribute to this game will follow suit. Don't get me wrong, I hope for the very best with this game, but without knowing anything about it as far as story or characterization goes, you can't guarantee that it'll be "better than PSU."

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I updated my post from this morning (the one with new info from the official site). It was pointed out to me that it lists the location of the game not as a generic planet but as the Earth and its moon.

Burnsro
Sep 12, 2008, 09:26 PM
So I'm picking and choosing a bit here but here we go: Horribly generic? As in what? You've got a fair bit of customization in PSU from your head down. If anything, they went for an older Phantasy Star look for the characters. You don't have to be classic to do generic.
I was talking more of the story characters in PSU since we only have story characters to compare so far. You have to admit that they weren't very enticing in PSU. Probably because they felt pretty damned unoriginal, especially compared to all games before it. I agree that the character customization in PSU is anything but generic and is quite good compared to similar titles in the MMORPG market.

I wouldn't say less detailed. Very very different from what we've seen from past Phantasy Star games, but not any less detailed. But details and character designers are only half of the equation. If the story isn't good, players won't love the characters. I disagree that the target audience is broadened. If anything, the target age has been lowered. I stand by my previous 10,000 volted Booma post from before.

I'm talking about the artwork. The shading for the characters' faces in PSO is well...actually there. There really is not much shading at all in their faces in PS0.

About the story - The story is going to be better than the first PSU. That's certain. Also THE iDOLMASTER hardly has a story and players cared so little about it that it's sequel threw out the story elements all together and still sold great. This shows that the characters themselves far outshined the story. This is also apparent in the Lunar series. Lunar is known for having a relatively straight forward story (Strive to become a Dragonmaster and save Luna!) and yet it's characters hold up the typical story well. Also you need to remember that Teru Arai is a very popular light novel writer in Japan. (Unless this "mystery novel writer" Teru Arai is different which I don't believe is the case but I'd love to be proved wrong so I can get the right perspective on him.) If I'm guessing the right guy then he is a light novel author that has made it into top sales rankings for light novels with his Room No.1301 novel.

The target audience is broadened in this post Monster Hunter world. Look at the sales for Phantasy Star Portable and look at the huge install base of the DS. Take the more popular PSO as the game to draw from. Add together the popularity of THE iDOLM@STER character designer and a popular light novel author. Online multiplayer. Best graphics on DS. Bam. Million seller. SEGA is going to go all out on this one.

Mike
Sep 12, 2008, 09:34 PM
but the point of using a weapon to cast magic was because the PA system forced them to have it equipped to a weapon to be used so i think the spell casting can be used without a weapon, hopefully :D

Nothing to do about that but wait and see. With any luck, you can run around casting spells with your TP absorbing pistols equipped again ;)

Harmony
Sep 12, 2008, 09:43 PM
when will it come out I love the clothes!!!

Outrider
Sep 12, 2008, 10:07 PM
I was talking more of the story characters in PSU since we only have story characters to compare so far. You have to admit that they weren't very enticing in PSU. Probably because they felt pretty damned unoriginal, especially compared to all games before it. I agree that the character customization in PSU is anything but generic and is quite good compared to similar titles in the MMORPG market.

I'm talking about the artwork. The shading for the characters' faces in PSO is well...actually there. There really is not much shading at all in their faces in PS0.

About the story - The story is going to be better than the first PSU. That's certain. Also THE iDOLMASTER hardly has a story and players cared so little about it that it's sequel threw out the story elements all together and still sold great. This shows that the characters themselves far outshined the story. This is also apparent in the Lunar series. Lunar is known for having a relatively straight forward story (Strive to become a Dragonmaster and save Luna!) and yet it's characters hold up the typical story well. Also you need to remember that Teru Arai is a very popular light novel writer in Japan. (Unless this "mystery novel writer" Teru Arai is different which I don't believe is the case but I'd love to be proved wrong so I can get the right perspective on him.) If I'm guessing the right guy then he is a light novel author that has made it into top sales rankings for light novels with his Room No.1301 novel.

The target audience is broadened in this post Monster Hunter world. Look at the sales for Phantasy Star Portable and look at the huge install base of the DS. Take the more popular PSO as the game to draw from. Add together the popularity of THE iDOLM@STER character designer and a popular light novel author. Online multiplayer. Best graphics on DS. Bam. Million seller. SEGA is going to go all out on this one.

You're leaping around a lot and making a ton of unrelated conclusions.

We have no idea if the story will be better than PSU. Just because they got someone with experience to write the story doesn't mean they will be giving it their all. It doesn't even mean there has to be a wildly in-depth story. The plotter for Kingdom Hearts wrote the story for Smash Bros Brawl: Subspace Emissary. One is an actual plot and the other is a series of goofy cut scenes. Claiming PS0 will have a better story than PSU because the writer has written good stories before is a fine way to form an opinion, but it's in no way a fact.

Let's not forget that being a good writer of novellas doesn't necessarily mean you'll do a good job at writing a video game story. They're two completely different realms.

The whole Idolmaster character comparison is meaningless. Idolmaster isn't a role-playing game. It's a casual visual novel at best. It doesn't need to rely on character. A role-playing game generally does. What might be acceptable for an arcade game (which, let's face it, is popular solely for the cute/cheesecake factor) does not necessarily mean it will be acceptable for PS0.

Look, I'd love to see the game be a success. Personally, I've thought for a long time that a PSO style game on the DS would be a great idea. I'm looking forward to getting more information about it.

Regardless of that, though, apples =/= oranges. If you want to be excited because you think the people behind it are great creators, then go right ahead. But this is a different project than they've done before with a company that has an iffy-at-best track record in the past few years, so forgive us if we're all a little skeptical.

Mike
Sep 12, 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm always guilty of jumping around but did anyone notice the mag-like things the characters in the screen shots have?
http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/73601020080912_124657_2_big.jpg

TheOneHero
Sep 12, 2008, 10:38 PM
Great, I'm going to drive myself nuts raising Sato and Rati again! :wacko:

Adriano
Sep 12, 2008, 10:56 PM
TOH, I sure hope Sato and Rati (and bhima >> hint hint) are in this. lol

Nitro Vordex
Sep 12, 2008, 11:01 PM
I don't really think the artwork has anything to do with it. It's the DS, it's not going to be groundbreaking graphics and details. People have seem to have forgotten that the DS is meant for gameplay, not graphics.

As much as I'd like to see a PSO styled game, there is a reason it's called Phantasy Star Zero, and not Phantasy Star Online. It's supposed to be a new game, not a rehash of PSO. Customizable characters are great, though I don't think it'll matter much with the low amount of detail available on the DS.

Though, when I looked at the screenshots, I did admit that the graphics and detail are actually pretty good for a DS game.

I can't wait to tell my brother and mom about this game coming out!

darkante
Sep 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
I just hope that their will be a similiar place like Ruins from PSO somewhere late end-game.
It always creaped me out a bit in PSO..the music and atmosphere..brrr it gave me chills..
and it made me feel that the final foe is really an evil entity.

Guess that means, i like to be creaped out (?) lol

Adriano
Sep 13, 2008, 12:02 AM
I just hope that their will be a similiar place like Ruins from PSO somewhere late end-game.
It always creaped me out a bit in PSO..the music and atmosphere..brrr it gave me chills..
and it made me feel that the final foe is really an evil entity.

Guess that means, i like to be creaped out (?) lol

more than likely there will be some form of profound darkness.. if not then I vote Giant rappy boss, not rappy igg/ugg giant, but like Olga Flow giant.
:wacko:

Mike
Sep 13, 2008, 12:18 AM
Olga Rappy? Dark Igg?

Adriano
Sep 13, 2008, 12:24 AM
Olga Rappy? Dark Igg?

:lol:
I like olga rappy, has a nice ring :wacko:

darkante
Sep 13, 2008, 12:45 AM
more than likely there will be some form of profound darkness.. if not then I vote Giant rappy boss, not rappy igg/ugg giant, but like Olga Flow giant.
:wacko:

That would be awesome. XD
I also vote for that. :P

Kent
Sep 13, 2008, 01:23 AM
Nothing to do about that but wait and see. With any luck, you can run around casting spells with your TP absorbing pistols equipped again ;)
Think about it from a gameplay perspective.

The Photon Arts system was developed and implemented to fit into a certain style of play. It was designed with intent to be specifically linked to the weapons at hand. PSO's Palette system was designed so that your control scheme was more or less completely modular - you have your six hotkeys, and you can set them as you wish.

PSU's style of gameplay did not bode well for anyone attempting a form of gameplay that was any semblance of hybridized - it was not friendly toward people who wanted to use techniques and melee, for instance, because you could not use both of those weapon types at the same time - but this was due to the fact that you needed a "casting" weapon equipped in order to cast anything at all.

This system also emphasized the ability to have several sets of weapons readily-available, between which you could swap quickly in the midst of combat.

In PSO, however, you had access to all of your abilites at any given time - the only thing keeping you from accessing any of them would be reluctancy to use the quick technique/trap/item/weapon list. For classes such as Hunters and Rangers, the PSU system worked just fine, because of the limitation of diversity in the functionality of weapons (i.e. Sabers could hit multiple targets with their abilities, whereas a Sword could only hit a maximum of three at once).

Between these two, they each have their downsides - for example, PSU's interface makes things very steamlined, but drastically and severely reduces the overall potential versatility of its players, whereas PSO's system allowed people to play in hybridized fashions much more easily, albeit with a very slightly-clunkier quick list system (but not by much).

Hopefully, they do go more toward the PSO route with the system. There are a couple ideas from PSU that deserve to be thought about (such as special attacks for weapons), but borrowing too heavily from PSU is not a good thing.

cApNhOwDy
Sep 13, 2008, 01:35 AM

Yeah, there was a music game in Japan on the DS that had an expansion pack that was released on a GBA cart. I wouldnt at all be surprised in PS0 went the same route down the line.

Aumi
Sep 13, 2008, 07:44 AM
All Recent Sega games have been shit (major premise)
Phantasy Star Zero is a Sega Game (minor premise)
Phantasy Star Zero will be shit (conclusion)

SEGA has made some great games. Like the classic Phantasy Star series and Sonic Adventure 2/SA2: Battle. And I gotta say, I don't think PSO and PSU are bad games. They, and occasionally Guild Wars, are the only MMORPGs that I can play for a long time in at once. I stop playing most other MMOs after a short while, because they're simply too generic. The only thing that really annoys me about PSU is the service for the NA/EU servers. I don't think the story is all that bad, and in my opinion the combat system is better, or at least not as generic as that of most MMORPGs. I have high hopes for PS0, it has potential.

Whitewarrior52
Sep 13, 2008, 11:14 AM
The more I think about the game the more confidence a gain about it. I still believe that it may not do well in the long run but chances are the opposite could be true to.

P.S. - I'd like to face an Olga Flow type boss. That was my favorite boss in PSO. And the music for the first form was great too.