PDA

View Full Version : PSOW Musicians: Skype jam?

BlackRose
Sep 10, 2008, 09:56 PM
I know I'm not the only musician around here these days. I've been rolling the idea around of playing music live with other people over Skype video, sounds like it could be fun to me. Would anyone else around here be interested in such a thing?

Also, I've never actually used skype, so I could use some insight into the technical aspects. Such as: is it only two-way communication or is there a chatroom function? Two-person jams can be great, but it's nice to have options. Also, if we're doing a video chat, could someone else just listen in?

Or if anyone knows of a better utility for this idea than skype, love to hear it.

Sord
Sep 10, 2008, 10:00 PM
we of the FKL hold skype convos regularly, pretty much every night, including right now. 2 of the guys here have actually done what you are suggesting in the past. Though we don't use video, just the audio. Anyways, there is one big problem: delay time. The music will be in sync for some and out of sync for others. It doesn't work to well.

amtalx
Sep 10, 2008, 10:37 PM
Playing music with multiple people over the internet is pretty much impossible unless you want to pay for your own pipeline. Latency would destroy everything.

gorefiend
Oct 1, 2008, 12:03 PM
I play bass and electric guitar

I play bass for my black metal band and i also do black metal vocals.

I do electric for my private project i do all Instruments

=D

CelestialBlade
Oct 1, 2008, 12:05 PM
I think that'd only be feasible if it was a group listening to each person taking turns doing solo work. As stated before, latency would kill any hopes of holding a collective jam.

gorefiend
Oct 1, 2008, 11:20 PM
I think that'd only be feasible if it was a group listening to each person taking turns doing solo work. As stated before, latency would kill any hopes of holding a collective jam.

Yeah msn web cam would work better, or just use a ventrello room =]

Moo2u
Oct 2, 2008, 02:09 AM
If I had my own keys right now, I'd be all up for this...but I don't...so I'm not... :(

gorefiend
Oct 2, 2008, 05:17 AM
hmmm maybe, I could try and get my hands on a vetrillo rroom it maybe better =D

amtalx
Oct 3, 2008, 08:58 AM
Now that I think about it, everyone would have to be pretty close geographically as well. The physical limits of how long it takes for data to pass from L.A. to N.Y. is long enough to screw things up. :/

gorefiend
Oct 4, 2008, 02:44 AM
well i'm aussie soit would take me forvever too get a riff over too the u.s.a so If there are anyother way's for us too jam. Let us know =D

lul.

Lurkster
Oct 4, 2008, 02:47 PM
I can play guitar and do some vocals myself, so I wouldn't mind working on this. Problem is that Skype and Vent or any voice chat program will wonk the rhythm into oblivion. Someone would have to find some special software designed for this.