PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Nostalgia

xBladeM6x
Sep 13, 2008, 05:53 AM
For those of you who play PSU, (Like Me) and you who played PSOBB back in the day, or still do on Unofficial servers, you must have had a nostalgic moment in your heart when MAG came to PSU.

For me however, this was a completely opposite experience. I have never played PSOBB prior to about 4 hours ago on the -Insert Name Here- servers. ;-) Now, having played PSU everyday, i feel like i have had a case of Reverse Nostalgia when going to play PSOBB and visiting the Forest, Caves, Mines, and Ruins. Also the amazing Music. (<3 Day Dawns)

Point being, have any of you experienced a Reverse Nostalgia?
(And Btw, i actually seemed to really like PSOBB after playing it :D)

Also, if talking about the Private Servers is not allowed on here, I'm sorry ahead of time. If so, please remove this topic. :-?

T0m
Sep 13, 2008, 08:27 AM
Well, it wasn't with Phantasy Star, but I did experience the same feeling with another game.
"Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker", was the first Zelda game I ever played. But the way the scanty narrative was presented, it immediately gave me a feeling of overwhelming history. (I think it was hinted a few times that history repeats itself, and also that this was the same Hyrule where one of those previous "cycles" happened. But it's been a while since I played.)
It made me very curious, and a bit reverse nostalgic, about the other Zelda games.
(I tried the N64 and SNES games later, but never got far. Gaming progress may seem slow while we're in it, but trying a skipped generation was too big a step back for me to enjoy any of those games).

And now I think about it, hearing the Starfox theme, when (iirc) the Arwing first lands on the planet, in Starfox Adventures, also gave me a pang of reverse nostalgia of the earlier games, despite never having played those. (Runaway sentence alert ^^; )

(Talk about the private servers is indeed not allowed, by the way. Read sticky about private servers (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72843) for ful details on what is, and what is not allowed.)

AlexCraig
Sep 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
Since I have only played a tidbit of PSU (ver1) offline, there is hardly any nostalgia with me. Just a preference.