PDA

View Full Version : "No offense, but..."

PhotonDrop
Sep 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
Okay, stop right there. I already know you're going to make a smart-ass, snide, or other wise insulting comment following that statement. Cut the bullshit and man up. If you're afraid of hurting people's feelings, so you feel the need to sugar coat it, you have no place insulting them.

Thank you.

Dark Sorceress
Sep 15, 2008, 03:27 PM
So true.. why even add that in there if you just meaning it to be offensive..

"I'm gonna shoot you but I hope it doesn't hurt."

SpikeOtacon
Sep 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
My mother does this all the time. "No Offense, but..." or "I'm sorry, but..."

It gets really old.

Outrider
Sep 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
Clearly you all know a lot of cynical snarky people, then.

The phrase has its legitimate uses, but it's often used as a way to make a passive-aggressive comment.

CelestialBlade
Sep 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
Depends on how its used. If you're trying to give someone constructive criticism, especially about themself, it can be a good idea to use the phrase so that they understand you're trying to help them, not just blatantly insult them. Not everyone's out to cover their ass all the time.

Tensu of the moon
Sep 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
I don't know about you, but when I begin or end a sentance with "no offense", I mean it. it is usually part of a sentance who's overall message is "I know you're better than this", which could come across as insulting depending on how you word it, so I use "no offense" to clarify that it is a wag of the finger and not an attack.

TheOneHero
Sep 15, 2008, 04:14 PM
"I'm not racist, but..."

Is just as stupid.

McLaughlin
Sep 15, 2008, 05:15 PM
This reminds me of a little exchange in Mass Effect.

Kaiden: With all due respect commander-
Ashley: Why is it that when anyone says, "with all due respect," they really mean, "kiss my ass"?

Broodstar1337
Sep 15, 2008, 05:29 PM
No offense, but people are little bitches and have to sound like they're considerate for other people's feelings when they're simultaneously kicking them to the ground.

Alastor_Haven
Sep 15, 2008, 05:43 PM
I'm sorry did it hurt?

xD

Tessu
Sep 15, 2008, 06:30 PM
I don't hear this phrase often, and when it is used, it's obviously sarcastic.

Still, though, I still believe you can use it legitimately. It's just a way to make sure that the person you're talking to doesn't take it as a direct attack instead of simple criticism or disagreement.
There is a point, though, where "no offense" just doesn't make sense. Like: "No offense but you're a fucking retard."
Lol what?

Tensu of the moon
Sep 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
once, someone I knew kept on throwing around technicalities is a misguided attempt to seem clever when he knew full well what we where talking about. so I said "no offense, but please quit trying to look clever by acting dumb." I would say this is corrcet usage: not used to act like a jerk, but a way to politely tell someone else they need to stop acting like a jerk.

Aisha379
Sep 15, 2008, 07:43 PM
I mean it when I say No offense.

If I'm going to insult you, I have the balls to just come right out and say it dammit, why do I need to hide my intent? >=O

furrypaws
Sep 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
I'm sorry did it hurt?

xD

You'd be surprised how many people have asked me to hurt them. No, really. "Punch me! Do it! Don't hold back!" That phrase seems kinda necessary when they're rolling around on the ground yelping, and I don't mean it to be sarcastic, it's just kinda instinct. I'm not naturally a violent person...>_>

Tensu of the moon
Sep 15, 2008, 08:46 PM
I have a friend who goes out of his way to get you to hurt him, and then makes you feel bad for doing so.

Tessu
Sep 15, 2008, 08:50 PM
Well, of course it's your fault for doing what he wanted you to do. Dumbass.

I kid. I kid.

Weeaboolits
Sep 16, 2008, 07:03 AM
This phrase should be use to ram things through your friend's skull when they just aren't getting it, not as an excuse to make fun of people.

Powder Keg
Sep 16, 2008, 08:15 AM
Can't always agree with the original post, because in some situations criticism is necessary.

Sekani
Sep 16, 2008, 11:33 AM
Depends on how its used. If you're trying to give someone constructive criticism, especially about themself, it can be a good idea to use the phrase so that they understand you're trying to help them, not just blatantly insult them. Not everyone's out to cover their ass all the time.

Yeah, what this person said.

ShinMaruku
Sep 16, 2008, 12:00 PM
Most people are stupid animals and must be treated as such. :E

Kylie
Sep 16, 2008, 12:01 PM
Clearly you all know a lot of cynical snarky people, then.

The phrase has its legitimate uses, but it's often used as a way to make a passive-aggressive comment.
I agree with this. Some people just aren't straight shooters, and I don't think that's so wrong. I'd rather someone try to let me down easy and sugarcoat things rather than straight up lie to me. It's a much better choice in that regard.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 16, 2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah its used incorrectly.

Its not a free pass to say something insulting that otherwise isn't a good idea to say.

It should be used to make sure what you said isn't taken the wrong way - not to spare feelings but to make sure you're heard outright at all.

Usually does the opposite and the receiving end preps themselves for some crap advice then ignores past the first asserted as an insult words when it may not necessarily be as an entirety.

Heh, language/emotions. Can't use them without the consequences, but I suppose we could all slowly wean out the crappier phrases so they get less airtime and eventually disappear altogether.

Think about it, is "No offense, but..." a standard, big mainstay in written work and records of any kind?

Nope. Let it go the way of the Dodo. The future will thank you.

-
Bonus, when it gets said at the end of anything, its a much better take in.
"Blah blah blah... waits for a quick 1st impression of reaction... -hands out and up now as protection from say a thrown object-no offense." That's a more comedic approach and welcomed actually. Good bonding exercise there.

MetaZedlen
Sep 16, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hmm, say "not trying to be mean" instead.

But if you're typing, then that is a very different story, 'cuz who wants to type more?

Seority
Sep 17, 2008, 04:36 AM
People just take it differently. I try not to use that because I know it does annoy people, obviously, but I also get flamed on for "Being too mean" :/
Ah well. Too each his own, no offence :3

UnderscoreX
Sep 18, 2008, 08:16 AM
My mother says "To be honest.." quite a lot, which i find much more annoying. Like, she was lying up until that point or something.