PDA

View Full Version : How does one become a Moderator on PSOW?

Dark Emerald EXE
Sep 16, 2008, 05:08 PM
Please note before reading that I'm not trying to be one. I was just curious how it worked. Nor I am not going to bug any moderator who replies to this. Just out of curiosity.

In life now(which just about everything), it's not what you know it's "who" you know. The same principle could apply here but i dont know. Probably being a good example for the forum/community.

I won't be able to read the responses until i get back from this Networking Forum im going to in 10 minutes. :P

xAmrit
Sep 16, 2008, 05:10 PM
I would guess by being patient, helpful and by making useful posts...

Dark Emerald EXE
Sep 16, 2008, 05:15 PM
I would guess by being patient, helpful and by making useful posts...

Hey i was able to reply to one :P

Yea that is a good point though.

I just realized that thread was moved...That was fast.... a moderator is watching :-o

Ketchup345
Sep 16, 2008, 05:35 PM
That and use of the report feature when it is needed. We tend to "hire" when we need people, and usually only for specific areas that need it.

Ryna
Sep 16, 2008, 05:36 PM
When there is a need for a moderator, we look for someone that is active in that particular section. We also look for someone who is familiar with the topic matter, communicates well, and demonstrates maturity. Sometimes it helps if you are friends with the moderators since they are the ones that provides the suggestion, but that usually isn't the case.

It also helps if you create your topics in forums where they are considered on-topic. :-P

Kylie
Sep 16, 2008, 06:30 PM
When there is a need for a moderator, we look for someone that is active in that particular section. We also look for someone who is familiar with the topic matter, communicates well, and demonstrates maturity. Sometimes it helps if you are friends with the moderators since they are the ones that provides the suggestion, but that usually isn't the case.

It also helps if you create your topics in forums where they are considered on-topic. :-P
Just like becoming a moderator on any other message board, and not completely unlike getting a promotion for a job in real life. There aren't really any tactics to getting it. It always pays to have connections, but it's also just as important (or more so actually) to be qualified.

Sayara
Sep 16, 2008, 06:54 PM
Giving Ryna many many little kids to eat also helps your chances in the longrun.

actually, just being a good member and not a wannabe cop would get me to consider one to be a new moderator.

You know the ones who just sit and hit the report button instead of acting like a wannabe mod.

AlexCraig
Sep 16, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hey now. :wacko:

But yeah, it's all about behavior, knowledge, and the need for one.

Dragwind
Sep 16, 2008, 07:43 PM
I clearly remember the heavens parting and a beam of lightning came crashing down. After I woke up in the hospital, I was rushed to a dark room with people wearing masks and what seemed like ritualistic items. Oh, and they made me sign 100 papers while being tortured.

Sord
Sep 16, 2008, 07:47 PM
Oh, and they made me sign 100 papers while being tortured.
I could see Ryna doing that :wacko:

Dhylec
Sep 16, 2008, 08:29 PM
I could see Ryna doing that :wacko:

No whipping involved, at least for me. ;3

Ketchup345
Sep 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
For the post acceptance process, see many of the "Welcome new mod" threads. There is a full initiation ritual/hazing that gets longer as we get new people.

beatrixkiddo
Sep 16, 2008, 08:51 PM
I clearly remember the heavens parting and a beam of lightning came crashing down. After I woke up in the hospital, I was rushed to a dark room with people wearing masks and what seemed like ritualistic items. Oh, and they made me sign 100 papers while being tortured.

I would ask you more about this process but I'm sure you don't want to relive the memories...

Dark Emerald EXE
Sep 16, 2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the responses ^_^

VR-Raiden
Sep 16, 2008, 09:16 PM

That makes me wonder if we ever met on Ep3, since you're the Ep3 forum Mod. Did you play online? Just wondering cause I'm trying to remember everyone I played it with :)

AlexCraig
Sep 16, 2008, 10:12 PM
Nope. Only play BB online.

Sord
Sep 16, 2008, 10:14 PM
oh yes, forgot to mention before. Bribing Gifting the mods with bananas goes a long long way.

Mixfortune
Sep 17, 2008, 07:42 AM

Apparently taste in good avatars isn't so much a requirement anymore, though!
Dragwind, going above and beyond, decides to add it onto his resume anyways. Good show.

Hrith
Sep 17, 2008, 11:13 AM
Believe me, you don't want to work for Ryna :disapprove:

Dark Emerald EXE
Sep 17, 2008, 11:25 AM
you could close this anytime :-P

KodiaX987
Sep 17, 2008, 02:07 PM
Becoming a mod is easy. Just do the exact opposite of everything I do and you're in business, my friend. ;)

Tomeeboy
Sep 17, 2008, 05:32 PM
It's pretty easy, really... We just take all of the people who are interested, throw them into a pit full of various medieval weapons, and choose whoever makes it out alive.

Er.. I think I just broke the first rule of medieval fight club... @#%$.

Ranmaru
Sep 17, 2008, 08:12 PM
Dibs on Blunt objects. :3

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 18, 2008, 01:50 AM
That's right.

Best to work with Ryna if you know what's good for you.

rena-ko
Sep 18, 2008, 02:56 PM
well, certain sexual favours do the trick, too.

Para
Sep 18, 2008, 03:31 PM
Ryna worked his ass off to become admin

rena-ko, not so much :D

Ryna
Sep 18, 2008, 06:47 PM

With assistants like you, who needs trolls on this forum? Now get back to work you unmotivated, FOmarl-loving slacker!

rena-ko
Sep 19, 2008, 12:38 AM
Ryna worked his ass off to become admin

anyone else, not so much :D

there, fixed it for ya ^^

MaximusLight
Oct 7, 2008, 09:25 PM
It's pretty easy, really... We just take all of the people who are interested, throw them into a pit full of various medieval weapons, and choose whoever makes it out alive.

For reference, if it's going to be a midevil fight with weapons, I call the Bastard sword, shield, a few throwing knives, and the potato.

NOC G4ME v2
Oct 17, 2008, 05:39 AM
this is one interesting convo! :D

DarkShadowX
Oct 17, 2008, 06:37 AM
Indeed this is an interesting convo.....I would fear ever working for Ryna.

Dana
Oct 17, 2008, 07:09 PM
Pity the days of Rena's modding are over. *holds up used whips and leashes*

I think becoming a mod/admin is something that comes from helping the said community. And when you're noticed helping, then good things may happen. Perhaps.

Squeezit
Oct 18, 2008, 04:27 AM

yeah i dont want to become mod or admin.

i just join that fight for the fun :)

except i didnt say anything.

no talking about it...

NOC G4ME v2
Oct 18, 2008, 08:25 PM
im not soo good with medieval weapons...but i am good at getting out of pits so i could become "one of the chosen ones" :D