PDA

View Full Version : I don't have an eating disorder.

unicorn
Sep 17, 2008, 01:21 PM
So don't tell me to eat more. I eat whenever I freaking wanna eat. Why must you hate me for being 5'10 and weighing 112lbs (108 on a good day). I'm sorry our society accepts obesity to be the 'norm' but I'm perfectly fine with my weight.

And you know what? Its all natural baby. So stop assuming I skip meals or puke it all out. Yeah I sometimes go to the bathroom after meals (or before) but I generally forget to go throughout the day until I see food. And maybe I skip breakfast sometimes, but I never starve all day. And yeah, sometimes I think I get bloated and I pay attention to my image, but I'm not forcing myself to be thin.

I like it. I like having a 24" waist as a male. I like being able to fit into female clothes better than most of my friends.

And I don't want your leftovers either.

CelestialBlade
Sep 17, 2008, 01:29 PM
I know how you feel, I have really high metabolism that pretty much burns off food while I sit down and creates a black hole in my stomach. My brother's even worse, he's a 6'2" stick but he can only seem to gain weight through muscle. His body simply burns off energy too fast.

So don't take offense to it, not like we can help it. Besides, we should be proud of our high metabolism ^_^

McLaughlin
Sep 17, 2008, 01:37 PM
I have a high metabolism rate as well. I'm 6'3 (almost 6'4) and I only weight like, 165 lbs soaking wet.

My mom keeps trying to force me to eat, too, which is really irritating. "You're almost six four! You could put on forty pounds and still carry it." I don't want to "carry it." Not to mention turning myself into the Pillsberry Dough Boy would make my knees even worse than they are now.

Neith
Sep 17, 2008, 01:49 PM
I'm 5'11" and weigh about 130lbs. For me, getting jeans is a pain in the ass. I have long legs, so I have to always get a bigger waist size to fit my legs, but i have a stick-thin waist so I need to constantly wear a belt >_>

I've had people think I have an eating disorder too- someone who lived a few doors down from me actually caught my mum one day and told her to take me to the doctor, heh. She was convinced I either a) wasn't eating b) was making myself sick or c) had a health problem. Thing is, I eat like crazy. I'm always raiding cupboards looking for food :lol: I just have an unholy fast metabolism that burns off any fat before I've finished eating :wacko:

I've been medically checked out before (my mum was scared I had Marfan Syndrome a few years ago as I had most of the symptoms- despite it being so rare), but after loads of tests it turned out I was just...skinny. :wacko:

It's a pain, but as long as you know it's not a health problem, you shouldn't let it bother you too much.

CelestialBlade
Sep 17, 2008, 02:11 PM
I've been medically checked out before (my mum was scared I had Marfan Syndrome a few years ago as I had most of the symptoms- despite it being so rare), but after loads of tests it turned out I was just...skinny. :wacko:
Yeah, my parents thought I might have had diabetes (my dad had it) because I'd get really shaky if I hadn't eaten anything for a while, much like a diabetic would from a lack of sugar, but it turns out my body simply burns through energy so fast that I literally have no energy left after a few hours. I have to eat 3 large meals a day, and I usually snack in between to keep myself going. It's almost a pain in the ass, but I'd rather deal with this than a low metabolism. And it sure beats having diabetes :P

AlexCraig
Sep 17, 2008, 02:27 PM
I know how you feel OP. I eat when I am hungry, not when I am told. Hell, more often than not, I don't eat breakfast or lunch, I grab a snack at about 4:00pm or so, eat supper at 7:00 or so, and a late night snack at about 3-4:00am.

I seem to eat the most out of the family, yet due to my high metabolism, I am the skinniest in the house (aside from my 10 y/o sister)

beatrixkiddo
Sep 17, 2008, 02:30 PM
I don't have an eating disorder, I'm just overweight.

:(

ps: I hate you bitches with your metabolisms. I don't even eat a LOT and I stay at the same weight. I've been at this weight since I was like 15 (21 now).

Shadwitz
Sep 17, 2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I have like, next to NO metabolism. I walk all around my hilly campus, and at best eat two small meals a day. And my weight just stays the same. Damn thunder thighs.

McLaughlin
Sep 17, 2008, 02:39 PM
I feel you in the jeans department. It's a total pain finding the right length and waist size. I usually compromise in waist size if they feel good otherwise. Once in a while I get lucky and find a real good fit.

Solstis
Sep 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
Not eating is considered anorexia, I'm pretty sure.

Just wanted to point that out, since you admitted to skipping meals.

When I skip meals, it's out of laziness, not because I wasn't hungry. I'm pretty much hungry all the time, but by no means am I obese, as the OP seems to assume the norm is.

That said, I admit that I have body-image issues, and I'm 5'7 and somewhere near 146 pounds. Then again, having body-image issues and doing something about them are two different things.

I eat because I enjoy it, and keep a pretty decent figure. Take that, skinny-but-unhappy people! Not to mention that I tend to pig-out less on Pizza than I do a bit of brie and some bread, or heaps of fruit. Ooh, or those lovely pretzels. Yum. Now I want some pretzels :(.

Toadthroat
Sep 17, 2008, 03:33 PM
So don't tell me to eat more. I eat whenever I freaking wanna eat. Why must you hate me for being 5'10 and weighing 112lbs (108 on a good day). I'm sorry our society accepts obesity to be the 'norm' but I'm perfectly fine with my weight.

And you know what? Its all natural baby. So stop assuming I skip meals or puke it all out. Yeah I sometimes go to the bathroom after meals (or before) but I generally forget to go throughout the day until I see food. And maybe I skip breakfast sometimes, but I never starve all day. And yeah, sometimes I think I get bloated and I pay attention to my image, but I'm not forcing myself to be thin.

I like it. I like having a 24" waist as a male. I like being able to fit into female clothes better than most of my friends.

Everything you stated, luu, are symptoms of an eating disorder, just letting you know.
Also, our society doesn't accept obesity as the norm. Thats why fat people get made fun of.

unicorn
Sep 17, 2008, 04:13 PM
Just wanted to point that out, since you admitted to skipping meals.

When I skip meals, it's out of laziness, not because I wasn't hungry. I'm pretty much hungry all the time, but by no means am I obese, as the OP seems to assume the norm is.

I only said I SOMETIMES skip breakfast. I usually eat 2-3 meals a day (AND I MUNCH and DRINK MANY THINGS THROUGHOUT THE DAY).

Everything you stated, luu, are symptoms of an eating disorder, just letting you know.

Well you can blame my high-metabolism for a symptom of an eating disorder. I'd take a high metabolism over a low metabolism any day.

Just because I like being thin and wouldn't want to gain weight (and thankfully its hard for me to gain weight), I have an eating disorder?

I think people should be proud of their body type, and if they aren't, then they should try to improve it (through healthy methods of course!).

I eat my meals, I have a HUGE sweet tooth, but I go to the gym once or twice a week. When I go to the gym, I don't try to lose weight, I just try to stay physically healthy.

Powder Keg
Sep 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
I'm 5'9" and only weigh 130...I eat like a pig most of the time, but it doesn't matter. I'm personally afraid of losing weight. It only really happens when I get really sick because normally you don't have a desire to eat and end up skipping meals.

Kylie
Sep 17, 2008, 06:13 PM
Most people, other than my grandmother (mom's side) and a few other people, don't say anything, but I'm pretty skinny as well. I like where I am though, and I couldn't get any bigger if I wanted to. I did have self-image issues that influenced me enough to skip meals, and I still skip breakfast, but that's pretty far behind me now. I think I look pretty normal-skinny now; although, I still get kind of goofy about my weight if I gain or lose anything. In fact, my PSU character's weight bothered me. :lol: Most of it for me is a girl thing though. Also, I eat a lot now (except the breakfast thing, which is actually because I'm completely against EVERYTHING for an hour or two after I wake up--it's not to lose weight). Anyway, it's good that you're comfortable with your body, and you should just ignore all the people that suspect something. Some people think that everyone is built the same.

Shadowpawn
Sep 17, 2008, 06:24 PM
I used to be thin for a very long time. For the life of me I couldn't gain any weight until recently really. Now I'm like 165 pounds at 5'9 when I used to be 127 the beginning of this year. TC, you have the opposite mind set I had when I was skinny.

Kent
Sep 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
Why must you hate me for being 5'10 and weighing 112lbs (108 on a good day). I'm sorry our society accepts obesity to be the 'norm' but I'm perfectly fine with my weight.

Just so you know, for a male of 5'10", 112 lbs. is underweight... With 129 lbs. being the minimum for the "normal" weight range.

And, no, society doesn't think being obese is the norm - because "normal" is the norm. Just because you're underweight and in dire need of brownies, doesn't mean everyone else is obese.

Gunslinger-08
Sep 17, 2008, 07:55 PM
I'm sorry our society accepts obesity to be the 'norm' but I'm perfectly fine with my weight.

I think you're overreacting, but then again, this is the rants forum.

I'm 5'11.5" and 275 lbs. Body image issues? Yes. Health issues? No.

Half of my genes come from a family where all but two of my uncles and aunts are overweight. Three of my 5 uncles and one of my 2 aunts have had gastric bypass surgery or similar surgeries.
I gave up on skinny about two years ago, and opted to focus on healthy, in a simple sense. I started working out, running stairs, changing eating habits.

Since then, I've gained a few pounds and dropped from a size 48 to a 42 waist. I'm still working towards a 38, but I'm comfortable with where I am, and where I'm going.

What it comes down to is that it isn't an issue of skinny vs. fat. What people need to look at is whether they're healthy or not. Some people ARE healthy being really skinny, while others are unhealthily (I think that's a word) skinny. Same goes for fat, though the line gets drawn between being overweight and obese.

I'm not skinny or quick, but I have a healthy blood pressure, I'm strong, and I'm always working to stay active, so I'm content with being a grizzly bear. Everyone is different.

Blitzkommando
Sep 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
I eat somewhere in the average of 3000 calories a day and my primary mode of exercise is walking/jogging and I am finally gaining weight, at about a pound or two every month. My father has a similar metabolism to me and was told by his doctors and nutritionist that, even at age 60, he should have about 3000 calories a day for his metabolism. It's not all rainbows and sunshine having a fast metabolism like that. I am almost always hungry no matter how much I eat. And because I burn through it so quickly I am easily tired. I'm just glad that it seems that I'm finally putting away enough to get a more full physique. Oh, and for the record, I'm about 4 pounds 'underweight' compared to the 15 pounds I was underweight this time last year. It's taken a long while to get to this point and I'm hoping I don't get sick this winter. When I get sick, I'm like my father, in a week we can be down as much as ten pounds if it is bad and even five pounds on a 48 hour bug.

MetaZedlen
Sep 17, 2008, 09:54 PM

I am such an outcast on this one...

6 ft straight, 250 lbs. (if not, then more), and that little thing called metabolism is almost non-existent to me, but for some reason, I really haven't changed much over the years, I have always kept the same "build" (got a bit of a gut), but I wouldn't say that I am obese (actually, nowhere near it...).

I will admit that I am a little overweight, but I really don't care about it, because I tend to not care about what other people have to say about the way I look. Now I am not saying that I look like a sleeze bag, but I'm content with what I have, and I will most likely stay that way, 'cause that's just who I am, I don't give a shit about what other people have to say about me...

(Bear in mind though, I wouldn't mind slimming down a little bit...)

DreXxiN
Sep 18, 2008, 12:38 AM
It's your body, do as you wish with it, be comfortable with yourself.

I have a stupidly high metabolism too so...Cheers!

*Eats stupidly large quantities of ph00d*

Sidney
Sep 18, 2008, 12:39 AM
Just so you know, for a male of 5'10", 112 lbs. is underweight... With 129 lbs. being the minimum for the "normal" weight range.

And, no, society doesn't think being obese is the norm - because "normal" is the norm. Just because you're underweight and in dire need of brownies, doesn't mean everyone else is obese.

I don't think that's what he was implying - he was trying to say being overweight almost gets less criticism and public attention than being skinny. I can feel his frustration, because I'm 5'6" and only 105 lbs. People wouldn't question making a rude comment about my weight, like "Eat a cheeseburger!", or "You're anorexic!", yet calling attention to someone who is fat about their weight is considered very rude and crass. Hardly anyone would dare to say to a fat person, "You have a problem, have a salad, fatass", yet people can go up to me and comment on my weight and tell me I have a problem or need to eat a cheeseburger? It's a very annoying double-standard.

Plus, you do realize what is considered normal in terms of weight is a cultural thing? "Normal" for a female in Korea would be someone of my size and weight. There, if you were 5'6" and 130 lbs, a weight that is normal here in the US, you would be considered "fat". Here in the US, most people are overweight, so pudgy is what people view as 'normal'.

Also, BMI is really not very accurate. It doesn't take into account things like muscle or how you are built. I'm somewhat tall for a girl, but I'm very small framed, so my weight really isn't that abnormal. I don't look anorexic, just very thin. It's all very individualized. I've seen many pictures of LU, and much like me, he is very small across the shoulders and small framed in general. He's very thin, but I wouldn't call his weight abnormal in the slightest. Smaller framed people just tend to weigh less.

thunder-ray
Sep 18, 2008, 12:52 AM
Im 6'2 and weight 225 pounds only cuz I eat and lift weights alot. *Goes to the gym and lifts more weights*

DreXxiN
Sep 18, 2008, 12:54 AM
I don't think that's what he was implying - he was trying to say being overweight almost gets less criticism and public attention than being skinny. I can feel his frustration, because I'm 5'6" and only 105 lbs. People wouldn't question making a rude comment about my weight, like "Eat a cheeseburger!", or "You're anorexic!", yet calling attention to someone who is fat about their weight is considered very rude and crass. Hardly anyone would dare to say to a fat person, "You have a problem, have a salad, fatass", yet people can go up to me and comment on my weight and tell me I have a problem or need to eat a cheeseburger? It's a very annoying double-standard.

Plus, you do realize what is considered normal in terms of weight is a cultural thing? "Normal" for a female in Korea would be someone of my size and weight. There, if you were 5'6" and 130 lbs, a weight that is normal here in the US, you would be considered "fat". Here in the US, most people are overweight, so pudgy is what people view as 'normal'.

Also, BMI is really not very accurate. It doesn't take into account things like muscle or how you are built. I'm somewhat tall for a girl, but I'm very small framed, so my weight really isn't that abnormal. I don't look anorexic, just very thin. It's all very individualized. I've seen many pictures of LU, and much like me, he is very small across the shoulders and small framed in general. He's very thin, but I wouldn't call his weight abnormal in the slightest. Smaller framed people just tend to weigh less.

Amen, USA is horrid for that.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 18, 2008, 01:20 AM
I'd like to think I'm not fat-168 lbs. and about 5'8"(I'm not sure, I haven't checked how tall I am, I just know I'm not)- because despite the extra on me, I'm still athletic. I just seem to have an extra layer. >_>

I may not be fat, but I have a rather...feminine ass. ITT:It's pretty big. Though I can get into 32 size waist, I have to make sure the legs don't feel weird.

My metabolism is quite excellent. I could sit around all day and eat and play video games(which I used to do every Sunday) and I didn't gain any weight. I have the third best metabolism in my family. Though, because I ate a lot as a kid, like I said, I have something of a little extra around my body. I literally have a six pack underneath a small gut. It's really quite funny. :lol:

I don't lift weights either, I just ride my bike everywhere I go. I've been riding bikes since I was 3, and it really gave me some strong legs as a result. Though, they are rather big. ^^; Like I said, I also have quite a big rump. (Girls don't seem to mind though. :wacko: )

Seority
Sep 18, 2008, 02:56 AM
Becuase food is nutritious? Because you need nutrition to live?
:O?
What ever happened to, "You are how you are, and shouldn't be anything else"? Aka, WHY DOES YOUR WEIGHT MATTER SO MUCH? :P
"LOVE AND PEACE!!!"
Y (> o <) Y

Weeaboolits
Sep 18, 2008, 07:01 AM
Why must you hate me for being 5'10 and weighing 112lbs (108 on a good day)I'm sorry, but I'd have to say you probably do have a disorder, seeing as you're taller than me, yet weigh about 10 pounds less than me (I'm pretty underweight myself, 5'8", 120 lbs, my weight is only at the 5 percentile, so you'd be worse off.), especially since your ideal weight falls below that, which quite simply is not healthy, if you're intentionally going after a weight that low, it's not unlikely that you do in fact have anorexia.

unicorn
Sep 18, 2008, 08:57 AM

THANK YOU. It's almost like you read my mind. =3

I'm sorry, but I'd have to say you probably do have a disorder, seeing as you're taller than me, yet weigh about 10 pounds less than me (I'm pretty underweight myself, 5'8", 120 lbs, my weight is only at the 5 percentile, so you'd be worse off.), especially since your ideal weight falls below that, which quite simply is not healthy, if you're intentionally going after a weight that low, it's not unlikely that you do in fact have anorexia.

The 108 comment was only out of sarcasm. I tend to go in the 115-118 range during winter, but I look the SAME as I do now. I don't think 5'10 is much taller than 5'8, and 10 lbs less doesn't sound like a LARGE stretch.

Kizeragi
Sep 18, 2008, 09:12 AM
7'1 and about 210lbs, I don't know exactly.

Must be because I'm a scotsman. n_n

Solstis
Sep 18, 2008, 09:13 AM
Overweight people have better lobbyists.

I'll just assume what soulbrette said is what super_luu meant minus ranty anger, in which case, I'd have to agree/sympathize.

No, I take it back. That means super_luu can wear all the shirts I like. I have a hard time finding clothes that fit that aren't muscle shirts. Grr. Banana Republic usually fits well, but I'm not going to go there ALL the time.

As far as the tiny waist thing, your only real option is to wear women's jeans, basically. Problem is, women's jeans tend to be uncomfortable, according to women/men that wear women's jeans.

Seority
Sep 18, 2008, 02:42 PM
Acctually, I have a few friends who REALLY enjoy womens jeans. If anything, womens jeans are strechy to form around your waist and legs.

Tensu of the moon
Sep 18, 2008, 09:48 PM
why dose everything have to be some kind of disorder? it seems anyone who is so much as a fraction of an once over what is deemed "normal" (normal for who?) they MUST have some serious disorder that needs imediate medical attention! (there's no :rolleyes: simile? what kind of sick forum are you people running?)

Sharkyland
Sep 18, 2008, 10:04 PM
Well, I don't eat normally like what the general health administration says which is:
- eat 3 meals a day (3 is just a lot, 2 is usually the mean)
- therefore, I don't seem to acquire the daily nutrition of essential vitamins and minerals

I also eat when I want to.

Tensu of the moon
Sep 18, 2008, 10:06 PM
if you eat when you don't want to eat, then you have an eating disorder.

is it so wrong to only eat when you are hungry?

Sharkyland
Sep 18, 2008, 10:08 PM
if you eat when you don't want to eat, then you have an eating disorder.

is it so wrong to only eat when you are hungry?

I always seem to hear stories where people eat because they depressed because it makes them feel better. I don't understand this concept.

Rust
Sep 18, 2008, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the club.
I'm 5"6' tall and might weigth around... hum... no more than 105 lbs I'd say (last time I checked, two years ago, I was even under 100 lbs...). Yes, I DO look anorexic (I even managed to slightly put my fingers under my ribs once :wacko:) and there is nothing I can do about it, food-wise.
I have pretty unealthy food habits ; I live by junk-food at undecent schedules.
I always skip breakfast and even often the lunch, not by choice but because I'm an awful larva staying at bed till 2 or 3pm on days when I don't have to work or go to university. :disapprove:
I then have a biscuit, chocolate and other cakes orgy every day around 4:30~5pm, then a bigass dinner, then several food breaks during the night.

My problem is this one : no matter what I eat and in what amount, I HAVE to eat every two hours while I'm awake or else I'm beginning to starve. For example, tonight, I had for dinner three plates of lasagna, preceeded by salted cucumbers, and followed by an apple, a yoghurt and a cake ; two hours later, I was hungry and went to eat a bowl of chocolate cereals with milk ; two hours later on, I was hungry again...
I usually spend all my nights with a pack of biscuits or random cakes next to the hand to eat two or three of them whenever I'm hungry, since it has the same effect as three plates of greasy italian pastas (which reminds me I'm currently starving since it's been three hours I didn't eat anything <_<).

So yeah usually my only 'normal' meal is dinner, sometimes lunch, and otherwise I'm eating cakes, chips, lollipops, pastries (I love those) and such almost all day till very late at night (early in the morning ?). Yet, I can't manage to take an ounce of fat.

People think I'm never eating anything, and sometimes they look at me like a monster when they eventually see me ordering two menus in fastfoods and such. University classmates even ended up calling me 'The Larder' because I was constantly pulling food out of my small bag during classes. :lol: Oh, yeah, and my sister hates me because she definately can't eat as much crap as I do without taking fat.

Tensu of the moon
Sep 18, 2008, 10:20 PM
well, food tastes good, and food that tastes really good can calm the nerves.

this thread reminds me of futurerama:

"There are plenty of good reasons to eat: hunger, boredom, wanting to be the world's fattest man, but not revenge!"

Solstis
Sep 18, 2008, 10:25 PM
why dose everything have to be some kind of disorder? it seems anyone who is so much as a fraction of an once over what is deemed "normal" (normal for who?) they MUST have some serious disorder that needs imediate medical attention! (there's no :rolleyes: simile? what kind of sick forum are you people running?)

There's a difference between optimal and nominal. Nutritionists and whatnot point out what is best according to their research, not what is normal.

unicorn
Sep 18, 2008, 10:41 PM
I always seem to hear stories where people eat because they depressed because it makes them feel better. I don't understand this concept.

I dont understand it either. Well maybe with cake. :3

Sidney
Sep 18, 2008, 10:41 PM
@Rust: Hey, we have the same proportions! :lol: Awesome!
Just a word of caution though - although you do not gain weight with your high fat diet, you might want to be careful. The arteries of skinny people still clog from high fat diets. It's just as important for us to eat low fat, healthy foods as well! That's why the say when trying to gain weight, to up your calorie intake of healthy foods rather than gorging on cheeseburgers or pizza. Take care of your arteries. :) Skinny people can aquire heart disease in this way too! Your weight doesn't always speak towards the health of your arteries.

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/news/pressoffice/pressreleases/2006/cdata/march/Thin+People

Also, with your diet, it sounds like you're getting a lot of sodium, which can raise your blood pressure. Just be cautious!

Nitro Vordex
Sep 18, 2008, 10:44 PM
I'm 5'7" and 168. Am I fat guys? D:

unicorn
Sep 18, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'm 5'7" and 168. Am I fat guys? D:

If you think you are built in a way thats healthy. Then I would say so. Everyone's body is different.

--------------------

I feel kinda guilty for making a thread based on weight, because its a very touchy subject for some people. Then you get some hurtful people in the mix that are against skinny people, and those who are against fat people. That wasn't my intention at all, I was just merely bothered by a comment someone made toward me recently.

--------------------

@Rust: Hey, we have the same proportions! Awesome!
Just a word of caution though - although you do not gain weight with your high fat diet, you might want to be careful. The arteries of skinny people still clog from high fat diets. It's just as important for us to eat low fat, healthy foods as well! That's why the say when trying to gain weight, to up your calorie intake of healthy foods rather than gorging on cheeseburgers or pizza. Take care of your arteries. Skinny people can aquire heart disease in this way too! Your weight doesn't always speak towards the health of your arteries.

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/news/pressof...ch/Thin+People

Also, with your diet, it sounds like you're getting a lot of sodium, which can raise your blood pressure. Just be cautious!

I'm glad you brought this up because I actually don't eat as healthy as I should. I work around cakes and stuff and I tend to snack on them waaaay to often.

People assume thin people don't have problems with diabetes, high cholestoral (spelling? >_>), etc, but they do too.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
I'm actually pretty active, but like I said, I have muscle under fat. I know that sounds weird, but it's true.

Zarode
Sep 18, 2008, 11:27 PM
Wait.

Who gives people crap over being thin now and days? :disapprove: This world is becoming rather backwards. :(

Tessu
Sep 18, 2008, 11:36 PM
They're just jealous.

Zarode
Sep 18, 2008, 11:43 PM
Eh. I'm not the vintage of manliness or fitness myself, but I don't give crap to people who I do know who are thin. :| People are odd. Just shrug off what they have to say, and tell them to worry about their selves more then you. If they have time to worry for you, they have time to worry for their selves. ;|

Tensu of the moon
Sep 18, 2008, 11:47 PM
There's a difference between optimal and nominal. Nutritionists and whatnot point out what is best according to their research, not what is normal.

but seeing as humans are such a geneticly diverse species...

Solstis
Sep 19, 2008, 08:07 AM
but seeing as humans are such a geneticly diverse species...

Not really. Behavior and habit are probably more important than genetics, when it comes to the majority, anyway.

If you're allergic to carrots or peanuts, advice that advocates them is clearly not for you.

I'm also not going to disregard the health benefits of Green Tea just because some people tout genetic diversity as a major obstacle.

Er, and all my anger towards thin people is jealousy-based, so yes, it is pretty silly.

Rust
Sep 19, 2008, 03:19 PM
@Rust: Hey, we have the same proportions! :lol: Awesome!
Just a word of caution though - although you do not gain weight with your high fat diet, you might want to be careful. The arteries of skinny people still clog from high fat diets. It's just as important for us to eat low fat, healthy foods as well! That's why the say when trying to gain weight, to up your calorie intake of healthy foods rather than gorging on cheeseburgers or pizza. Take care of your arteries. :) Skinny people can aquire heart disease in this way too! Your weight doesn't always speak towards the health of your arteries.

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/news/pressoffice/pressreleases/2006/cdata/march/Thin+People

Actually, I'm well aware of that. My mother lectured me about the subject dozens of times. :lol:
But I just can't help, I love junk food (well, way more sweet one than salted one - pastries, cakes, etc. > pizzas, chips, etc. even if I enjoy them too).
My nighttime eating span, I usually go for little and quick food breaks, so preparing healthy salads and stuff every two hours, or some heaten meal would be too much of a bother for the lazy ass I am.
I'm not eating that much of salted junk food either, mainly because I really dislike all types of sauces such as ketchup, vineger, mustard, BBQ, and so on. So no hamburgers, 'cept on very rare occasions, no hot-dogs, and no sodas either since I have as much hate for gas drinks as I have for sauces.
As a result, I also eat all my vegetables without any other condiment but salt. And so yeah, most of the time, I tend to salt a bit too much my food, especially my meat (which is another type of food I love).
Well, if I end up dying because of unealthy food habits, I'll die with an happy stomach. :lol: Good thing I'm a lover of all types of japanese food, especially raw fish and soups, that kinda balance the university student sammich + pastries diet I have during classes.

Sharkyland
Sep 19, 2008, 03:50 PM
Usually doesn't the standards for being underweight and overweight depends on your BMI (Body Mass Index) which is based on your height and weight.

I heard on the news that 70% of the United States children population are obese. I'm not really seeing it over here.

Sidney
Sep 19, 2008, 05:07 PM
@Rust: It's all good! I'm not trying to lecture, it's just surprising at times how few thin people know about that! Glad your mommy is already on your tail about it. :lol:

As for sodium, you'd be surprised about what foods are full of it. It's not just sauces and salt, it's typically very high in any sort of prepared dish. You said you ate 3 plates of lasagna - which is indeed super-delicious, but insanely high in sodium. Anything with meat, cheese, or tomato is naturally high sodium. Cereals usually have about 5% of your DV of sodium on only 1 serving of it. (An average bowl of cereal that someone pours is usually 2 servings! What they consider a serving size of cereal is kinda pathetic! Who eats only 1/2 cup of cereal? :lol:) Biscuits and pastries are higher in sodium than you think as well. Soup and lunch meats are some of the worst offenders in terms of high sodium. Really healthy and delicious, but sadly, chock full of sodium.

What I do is check the labels on the foods I eat and try to stay within my DVs for sodium! Sodium is really a nasty thing - hard on your blood pressure and your kidneys. I guess I'm very aware of this because I have kidney problems, so mind me. ^^; Sodium is kinda evil, and lurks in places you'd never expect.

P.S.: Don't worry, I'm a sucker for pizza as well... I get off track for delicious treats too!

Rust
Sep 19, 2008, 08:29 PM
Well, I didn't say that what I was eating was safer than a full-salt diet.
Even with the sodium put aside, my knack for sweet food isn't any better than a diet composed of chips, pizzas and beer / sodas.
I only stated that I tend to salt too much my food, which is already full of salt.
What I know is that if ever get health problems, meat will for sure be the culprit. I eat a lot more of that than any other type of food during my lunch / dinner meals.
I must admit I never ever check what my food is made of ; as long as it tastes good, I eat. :wacko:

And don't worry, I didn't take your post as a lecture on my food habits. ;)

Sharkyland
Sep 19, 2008, 08:58 PM
Just a little biology:
- which organic materials are broken up first: carbohydrates (usually sugars) -> proteins -> amino acids -> nucleic acids
- unused carbohydrates form a long chain producing a lipid or fatty acid (this is where we get our 'fat' that builds up in our body)
- (kinda why the Atkins diet works because your feeding your body meat which is mostly protein, so if your body needs energy, it will destroy the carbohydrates then it will focus on the next step which is protein, but what people don't realize is the other type of fat that comes with meat which are the bad types of fats and cholesterol)

What amazes me sometimes is when I look at the serving size and it says 3g of something (like sugar or salt), it really doesn't feel 3g of whatever. I like delicious foods too, but I for one am very picky what I eat. If I say my favorite food, I'm probably going to be sick of it after the 3rd day I'm eating it straight.

---

It's not salt the only one you should look for it's the unsaturated fat. The only difference between saturated and unsaturated fat is the fact that at a certain temperature the saturated fat is a liquid and the unsaturated is a solid (and this is the reason why it gets clogged in your arteries).

One thing that sickens me is people blame their obesity against the fast food giants. I think that's just not right.