PDA

View Full Version : entertaining thought of getting a PS3...

majan
Sep 17, 2008, 10:30 PM
it would be a whlie before I saved up a good amt of cash for my electric guitar, but after that I have 123 bucks in an account at the gamecrazy up the block that I am looking forward to using towards,potentially,a ps3. i am currently a happy xbox360 owner and an avid enjoyer of most games, regardless of platform. I'm also a bit of a collector. given my recent hiatus from psu, I've been a little bored now that all I have on my plate is school and work.

so, convince me. outside of MGS4, what are the reasons I should,at some point in the near future, acquire a ps3? or should I put the efforts elsewhere?

Noblewine
Sep 17, 2008, 10:47 PM
If you wanna get a PS3, I say go for it. The library of games out at the moment isn't too bad but your gonna have to fork over 500 dollars for one.

majan
Sep 17, 2008, 10:50 PM
isnt it 400 now? at lesat thats what Ive been seeing around here. 400 for the 80 gig version. of course involving games and tax and an extra controller you're 100% right in the over 500 figure. thing is, I'm saving up for something else atm Im trying to ask people if there's any convincing reason to get out and do it spontaneously or just bide my time be patient wiat for better games and hope for a price drop,and get my fender strat sooner 8-)

Ketchup345
Sep 17, 2008, 10:55 PM
One thing to note about PS3s are how they are backwards compatible. Some systems are, others aren't. If this is useful to you, you need to know a lot about each version.

Chuck_Norris
Sep 17, 2008, 10:56 PM
Home, FF13 (even though that's coming to the 360 too, you may wanna get the PS3 version in case your 360 RRoD's) Ratchet & Clank Future: tools of Destruction (and the expansion pack that costs 15 dollars) Kingdom Hearts 3 (If you can get over the disney part, the game is great. >_>) God of War 3, Heavenly Sword is pretty good, Killzone 3 (Not sure if that's gonna be on the 360 or not) Grand Theft Auto 4. (Even if you don't like the game series, the online mode is rather fun) Devil May Cry 4 (Again, on the 360 also, but the RRoD thing....) Soul Calibur 4 if you like Darth Vader more than Yoda, uhm...Resistance: Fall of Man 1 and 2, the next Sly Cooper game is probably gonna be on the PS3, Uncharted Drake's Fortune, uuhh...That's all I can think of now, but there's more coming.

majan
Sep 17, 2008, 11:17 PM
thanks for the note on compatability, but I have a ps2 already. I hope this thing lasts me, I love that sleek black box. mucho kudos to sony for the design on that, by far the swankiest.

ff13 I do plan to pick up on the 360,definitely...not cus I want it on 360 over the ps3 but I beleive, from what I have been told,that it will indeed be 360 exclusive. I already have gta4 on the 360,it kicks total ass. currently have it paused while I type this. kh3 I will definitely check out, didn't realize it was coming out. never checked out 1 or 2 but I've always been meaning to try. maybe I'll pick up 2 sometime soon. my 360 already got the red lights so I'm running on a replacement now,so the thing shold be good for a while. not a huge fan of the soul calibur series, but I may check it out. sly cooper sounds interesting to me.

thanks. anybody know of anything in the future that's must-have?

Chuck_Norris
Sep 17, 2008, 11:22 PM
ff13 I do plan to pick up on the 360,definitely...not cus I want it on 360 over the ps3 but I beleive, from what I have been told,that it will indeed be 360 exclusive.

Who told you that? It was first announced to be on the PS3. :disapprove:

Oh, and I think Finaly Fantasy Versus XII is a PS3 exlusive.

Ketchup345
Sep 17, 2008, 11:25 PM
thanks for the note on compatability, but I have a ps2 already. I hope this thing lasts me, I love that sleek black box. mucho kudos to sony for the design on that, by far the swankiest.Ok, so you must have a new (thin) PS2. Those of us with the older bulkier ones may have to worry about Disk Read Errors much more often (mine's been sent in twice).

My understanding is FFvsXIII is currently listed as PS3 only, but have not heard anything confirming it will always be that way.

Blitzkommando
Sep 17, 2008, 11:51 PM
I've been using mine as primarily a multimedia machine / DVD / Blu-Ray player but then I haven't been playing consoles much at all lately either.

T0m
Sep 18, 2008, 04:09 AM
As Blitzkommando reminds us, it's also a Blu-Ray player. And not a bad one at that. That could also be a factor, if you are interested in hi-def movies.
Besides that, some good games were mentioned here already.
If you are interested, Here (http://news.filefront.com/ps3-exclusives-the-full-list/)'s a comprehensive list of PS3 exclusives, old and new. (Try their link to their source for the same list, with more details).
And if that wasn't a long enough list for you, I also found this list here (http://www.evilgamerz.com/index.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=13639). It's in Dutch, though, and not really that interesting.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 18, 2008, 04:11 AM
Little Big Planet looks pretty interesting if you were a kid into Legos and like to build your own creations, in this case, entire physics based levels.

There's Resistance 2 in the Fall if you're into big LAN party sized online shooters - with the gritty realism of such games as Gears of War, Resistance 1 was one of the good early release PS3 games as well.

Folklore has gotten good reviews among all PS3 games and another I'd recommend is Genji by the same developers, which is an Onimusha or Ninja Gaiden type of action platform game - which is always a popular genre choice. Switch between 4 character types at any time, and fun to master countering system that yields unlockable weapons as rewards for learning it.

Fallout 3 is another 1st person shooter coming for Fall, but a kinda one man against the world, open world deal. Looks promising. You even get a dog companion to search out gear a la the movie 'I am Legend.'

SubstanceD
Sep 20, 2008, 03:05 AM
If you are interested in one and you can afford it then I say go for it. I bought a PS3 earlier this year and although I don't own that many games for it I don't regret buying one at all.

I own Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, MGS4, Folklore, Both Ratchet and Clank games and Heavenly Swword and I would recommend them all ( well I don't know about Heavenly Sword, not that isn't a good game, I just haven't played it yet since I am currently playing Infinite Undicovery on the 360 and Heavenly Sword is a very recent purchase ).

As for what I am looking forward to;

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm looks like it will be awesome ( if your a Naruto fan and if not, well it still looks impressive ).

Little Big Planet looks interesting. Admitedly alot of my interest has come from all the constant hype but it has caught my attention.

There is also FFXIII. Even though it will also be coming out on the 360 I find that I'm alot more excited about the PS3 version then the 360 one, I wonder why since I own both consoles.

The same can be said about Street Fighter 4. I love Street Fighter and I love the 360's joypad ( best console controller ever ) but the d-pad is in the wrong position ( not to mention the fact that it is also rubbish ) for beat em ups. I also don't like using a joystick so realisticly speaking there is only one option for me if I want to play SF4, the PS3 version.

DreXxiN
Sep 20, 2008, 12:34 PM
Please keep in mind when buying your Playstation 3 it is a HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, NOT A VIDEO GAME SYSTEM.

It's designed to play Blu Rays, and you can make a wireless SERVER from your PC to your ps3, so all media files such as music and movies can be played directly from your PS3 On your home TV.

Also, even if you have a PS2, The PS3 is nice for backwords compatibility because it smooths textures and can upscale for HDTV's, putting a psuedo progressive-scan feature on it.

By the way, Download Super Rub - A - Dub when you get PS3, Best thing EVER.

MGS4 was all I needed to convince me to get a PS3..Really, it's just that good (If you don't mind cut scenes)

Kizeragi
Sep 20, 2008, 01:16 PM
MGS4 was all I needed to convince me to get a PS3..Really, it's just that good (If you don't mind cut scenes)

The same reason why I'll be buying one once I get some money income. :)

Final Fantasy XIII Versus will be PS3 exclusive. Same with Killzone 2 etc.
Free online FTW.

I can use it when my 360 RRoD's again too. ^^;

Sexy_Raine
Sep 20, 2008, 01:42 PM
Lets see, Bioshock and Eternal Sonata are no longer 360 exclusive.

White Knight Story is said to be PS3 exclusive. It comes out Christmas in JPN. The people behind Shadow of the Colossus are making a new game, and Level 5 also has a new unknown game waiting to be revealed next week. And of course Heavy Rain, which is #1 on my list of what I want.

And of course all of Sony's series, Gran Turismo, GOW, Ratchet & Clank, etc. Uncharted 2 is also in the making.

TGS is pretty close, so there might be a lot of stuff that E3 hasn't shown. Wait for that is you're still not satisfied with what's been mentioned so far.

Hope this helps.

Toadthroat
Sep 20, 2008, 01:55 PM
Fallout 3 is another 1st person shooter coming for Fall, but a kinda one man against the world, open world deal. Looks promising. You even get a dog companion to search out gear a la the movie 'I am Legend.'

No, its an RPG with shooting elements.
You've never heard of the Fallout series? :disapprove:

SubstanceD
Sep 20, 2008, 02:15 PM
Also, even if you have a PS2, The PS3 is nice for backwords compatibility because it smooths textures and can upscale for HDTV's, putting a psuedo progressive-scan feature on it.

Sadly, my PS3 can't play any PS2 games. By the time I could actually afford a PS3 they were no longer making them backwards compatible with PS2 games :(. Granted I still own my PS2 so it's not like I'm going to die without this option but it is an inconvience to have to hook my PS2, my 360, my PS3, my Wii and my Gamecube ( with all the frigging software updates my Wii no longer supports the free loader device which means I can't play most of my Gamecube games since they are US imports. Why import games from the US, because Nintendo has always screwed the European gamer ) all up to my tiny TV.

Are they still making and selling PS3's that can play PS2 games in the US or are you guys just as screwed as the rest of the world now?

Ketchup345
Sep 20, 2008, 02:23 PM
Final Fantasy XIII Versus will be PS3 exclusive.Does anyone have a source for this? The only thing I've found claiming this predates the announcement that regular FFXIII will be multi-platform. Nothing since; but I'd like some more of an up-to-date confirmation. Nothing about PS3 exclusive, nothing about a timed exclusive, nothing at all.

Are they still making and selling PS3's that can play PS2 games in the US or are you guys just as screwed as the rest of the world now?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3 Looks like we have one good version left.

UnderscoreX
Sep 20, 2008, 05:56 PM
Does anyone have a source for this? The only thing I've found claiming this predates the announcement that regular FFXIII will be multi-platform. Nothing since; but I'd like some more of an up-to-date confirmation. Nothing about PS3 exclusive, nothing about a timed exclusive, nothing at all.

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2008/08/31/dengeki-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-interview-translated.html

It's been reiterated many, many times since E3 that Versus is worldwide exclusive on PS3, but I guess people only see what they want to. And the White Knight Chronicles IP is owned by Sony, and I don't think they're into sharing.

Ketchup345
Sep 20, 2008, 06:05 PM
but I guess people only see what they want to.Not quite. I honestly missed that page. I haven't quite been following everything to do with the game (only read about a bit every few weeks), and my quick google search turned up nothing on the pages I checked.

UnderscoreX
Sep 20, 2008, 06:10 PM
What did you type lol ? "Final Fantasy XIII versus exclusive" brought up abut 4 different articles confirming it.

Ketchup345
Sep 20, 2008, 06:44 PM
What did you type lol ? "Final Fantasy XIII versus exclusive" brought up abut 4 different articles confirming it.Sadly I can't remember. I checked a few pages, none of which had anything official, many were from July talking about FFXIII being multi and just general info (nothing on exclusivity) on Versus.

My brother plans to pick up a PS3 once he gets some $, but it will not be fun trying to find one, since backwards compatibility to PS2 and PS1 are MUSTS for us (our PS2 sounds sick and as noted above, has been in for repairs multiple times), we'd like to reduce the number of systems we have around (so buying a new PS2 is not desirable). I'd like it for the Blu-Ray (now that it has won), as well as a few games.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 21, 2008, 09:32 PM
No, its an RPG with shooting elements.
You've never heard of the Fallout series? :disapprove:
This time, its changed from RPG to more FPS.

I know previously it was a series that had nothing to do with FPS.

The change may have been to generate more players since an FPS is always a minimum amount of buys by one market segment and they may have thought another RPG wouldn't be as commercially viable in ol' 2008.