PDA

View Full Version : xbox news old & new + us-xbox site

BendMeOver
Feb 1, 2003, 09:03 AM
http://www.xbox.com/pso2

Today Microsoft brought definitive word of the much wondered-about U.S. release of Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II for the Xbox.
The game will ship in early March for $39.99, undercutting the GameCube version by $10. It'll require an Xbox Live subscription, and additionally gamers who wish to play online will be required to purchase a Hunter's License from Sega/Sonic Team for $8.95 a month. If you do opt to go that route, you'll get two months of online play for free before the fee kicks in. Even if you choose to play solely offline, you'll still need a subscription to Xbox Live.

Unlike the GC version, which only offers keyboard support, full voice communication will be available via the Xbox Live Voice Communicator headset. Although the game shipped with a keyboard adapter in Japan, Microsoft hasn't nailed down text communication plans for the U.S. version -- although they maintain that there will be a solution available before too long. According to MS, 70% of PSO players are using the voice chat in Japan, so they're hoping that American gamers will adopt it with as much enthusiasm. Additionally, the Xbox version of the game supports Dolby 5.1 audio as well as HDTV.

Downloadable content will be made available whenever Sonic Team completes it, with the same frequency and simultaneously with the GameCube version. However, the game will not be cross-compatible with the GC game, nor will U.S. users be able to join Japanese servers, due to security issues

source: http://www.gcpso.tk/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BendMeOver on 2003-02-01 11:40 ]</font>

rena-ko
Feb 1, 2003, 10:18 AM
On 2003-02-01 06:03, BendMeOver wrote:
Even if you choose to play solely offline, you'll still need a subscription to Xbox Live.

[ However, the game will not be cross-compatible with the GC game, ] nor will U.S. users be able to join Japanese servers, due to security issues.

is this also mentioned/confirmed on the linked page? i cant find it there.

if first is true, this will be a bit weird. whats the sense of offline multiplayer when you have to at least pay for online too?

the second one i somehow can understand... since voicechatting with some strange-dialect-speaking person from the other side of the earth would be difficult if not impossible... but then again, this substracts the 'worldwide' from the game...

hm... this is sad somehow...

and about a hunters licence... well, i think everyone knew there will be one (like i also expect one for europe this time around) but the same rate...hm i dunno...

hm i wonder if other xb-live-rpgs (true fantasy live or how its called...) will also need to be paid extra....