PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! PS2 DEMISE IMMINENT!

OmegaLegend
Sep 22, 2008, 01:24 AM
Sometime in March 2008, I posted this:

I'll bet that there are people who have the XBox360 version of PSU:AotI and have 100 Tiga De Ragans due to the fact that they bought all the Arti Digas they needed - remember, this is ONLINE! - because they cleared the right S-rank quest. Seeing as I don't have a list of what would unlock what offline - provided it works that way - in front of me, I'm assuming that it's non-existant offline - for now. *watches for second PSU expansion for PS2*

The main crux of the above paragraph is to convey that Sonic Team would probably put out a second expansion - or God forbid, a WHOLE SEQUEL - to Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus because of the open-endedness of the ending. However, recent news has come to my attention that makes it so that:

1. That second expansion or sequel will have to be rushed,

2. That second expansion or sequel is either Phantasy Star Portable for the PSP or Phantasy Star Zero for the DS,

3. That second expansion or sequel would have to be for the Playstation 3.

With the 1-20-2009 release of Coraline will come the end of the PS2's 10-year cycle, as told to me by a GameStop employee about two months ago. If this is correct, and the second expansion or sequel to PSU: AotI isn't at least being developed for the PS2, that means it's been moved to the PS3, since even ST wouldn't end a budding trilogy with an open end - and if it's not an open-ended end, blame the wording at the end of the last AotI chapter. I was already thinking about getting a PS3 anyway - Gran Turismo 5, GT5: Prologue, littlebigplanet - but this news and speculation would about make it a necessity - unless I want to hold my breath for PSP Gran Turismo!

EphekZ
Sep 22, 2008, 01:31 AM
PSU died in MAG.

SpikeOtacon
Sep 22, 2008, 03:24 AM
With the 1-20-2009 release of Coraline will come the end of the PS2's 10-year cycle, as told to me by a GameStop employee about two months ago. If this is correct, and the second expansion or sequel to PSU: AotI isn't at least being developed for the PS2, that means it's been moved to the PS3, since even ST wouldn't end a budding trilogy with an open end - and if it's not an open-ended end, blame the wording at the end of the last AotI chapter. I was already thinking about getting a PS3 anyway - Gran Turismo 5, GT5: Prologue, littlebigplanet - but this news and speculation would about make it a necessity - unless I want to hold my breath for PSP Gran Turismo!

With the 1-20-2009 release of Coraline will come the end of the PS2's 10-year cycle, as told to me by a GameStop employee about two months ago.

as told to me by a GameStop employee about two months ago.

as told to me by a GameStop employee

GameStop employee

I rest my case.

Dragwind
Sep 22, 2008, 04:07 AM
It sounds like an interesting idea, but I agree that Gamestop employees, or any game store employees don't hold much credibility. They just know how to sell games, they don't have know much about them nor any secrets besides their own stores stocking dates.

SubstanceD
Sep 22, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm going to be honest with you OmegaLegend, I didn't understand a single thing that you said. Your whole entire speech went right over the top of my head and to be honest with you I'm not really sure what point you were trying to make. I'm not even sure what this topic is about.

Is the PS2 coming to the end of it's life span? I honestly don't know. I'm surprised that people are still making games for the damn thing. I much rather see Persona 4 on a next gen console than a PS2 ( not that I have anything against the PS2, I love my PS2 and still play it on a regular basis ). I was in GAME ( a european chain of game store ) on Saturday and there was a guy in the queue ahead of me and he was buying a new PS2. People are still buying PS2's!!!

As for PSU on the PS2. It has been said many times that the main reason why Sega bulit PSU especially for the PS2 is because the PS2 has the largest user base out of all the home consoles. I understand that part of the logic ( more users means more people will buy your game, at least in theory ) but I have never considered the PS2 to be a very user friendly console at least as far as online play is concerned. The current gen machines ( Wii, 360 and PS3 ) are much more capable when it comes to the whole online thing. Maybe the next version of PSU will skip the PS2 all together and go tthe PS3 instead? Then again, maybe the success of PS portable means that Sega will instead concentarte more on the poratble consoles from now on. Either way I don't know where you are getting your info from ( oh yeah, gamestop employee, and to think you actually took him seriously ) but all of that is just specualtion. None of knows for sure what the future has in store for the PS2 or the future of the PSU franchise on the PS2.

Monochrome
Sep 22, 2008, 05:46 PM
Spike, that was awesome.

I could easily see PS2 games continuing on until Spring '09 in the U.S. At which point everything will be based on properties like Dora the Explorer or just generic games called "Racing" or "Tennis" ... but who knows? As SubstanceD said, people are still buying PS2s. I expect this to continue at least through Christmas here, due to the suck economy and the low cost of the system and large selection of available hits.

ngagerebel
Sep 25, 2008, 01:19 AM
since even ST wouldn't end a budding trilogy with an open end - and if it's not an open-ended end, blame the wording at the end of the last AotI chapter.

LMAO...

PSO anyone? sega left that WIDE OPEN... it was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway wide open. PSP is a sequel to PSU if I am not mistaken, it has already been confirmed that PS Zero is a completly seperate title. If sega knew what was good for them they would not alienate their ps2 loyal fans who are still playing to this day, that would pretty much empty those servers to the point of cancelation.

Kylie
Sep 25, 2008, 10:11 AM
Maybe this is why it's taking so long for us to get any word on it... Either because they're not making it, or because PS3 games take longer to develop. But I have a PS3, so I wouldn't complain if it were the latter. ;)

OmegaLegend
Sep 27, 2008, 12:58 AM
So, what you're saying, Kylie, is of the three options in my original post, the third one - the second expansion or sequel being for PS3 (if they're making it) - is the most likely one. *sigh* It's OK, I'm going to ask for a PS3 for Xmas - it's my 30th one, anyway - to get GT5, GT5: Prologue and littlebigplanet amoung others. But if this is correct, then the next question is: How would ST replicate the feature in AotI that allows you to upload your free mode characters into the new PSU game?

Nitro Vordex
Sep 27, 2008, 01:19 AM
The PS2 probably won't die for another year, until Sony gets their shit together and realize they're paking games, not fucking laptops.

SpikeOtacon
Sep 27, 2008, 02:17 AM
It is interesting to note that my local game stores sell Xboxs and Gamecubes for ~$35, but PS2s go for $60-$80.

Weeaboolits
Sep 27, 2008, 06:22 AM
While your source is hardly credible, it is only a matter of time until the PS2 is discontinued, considering that it's successor has been on the market for a while now.

AC9breaker
Sep 28, 2008, 11:07 PM
I rest my case.

I concur.