PDA

View Full Version : I hate Guitar Hero and EVERYTHING it stands for

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 01:44 AM
I know it's popular and lot of people play it but I just don't get it. Im really sick of seeing young kids playing this silly toy and yes it is nothing more then a plastic toy, rather then a tool to help advance your skills in music.

Ever since Nirvana came out, the majority of music talent took a huge major step backwards with cheap and crappy cookie cut patterns and no talent forms of guitar playing.

If people are interested in playing and learning music to go out and buy the real thing.

Scott Ian quotes " You know how cramped my arm is now? If you play this for real, you will never be a guitar player"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlnP-LJBzUc

Darkly
Sep 22, 2008, 01:48 AM
your argument is stale.

As well as the fact playing guitar hero isnt like a guitar, its just a rythm game to the tune of a guitar. I mean do you hate dance dance revolution too because its not real dancing?

Anduril
Sep 22, 2008, 01:49 AM
I've always seen Guitar Hero as two things: A game for people who are completely musically inept to feel like they can actual play music (the way that DDR is for people who can't really dance), or a game to play while you and your friends are drunk at 3am trying to sober up before heading home. I myself can't actually play an instrument but either way I don't want to try to delude myself into thinking I can because of my basic hand-eye coordination. (This is more a critique on some of the people who play Guitar Hero [ie. dumbasses who think being good at the game means that they are cool], and not so much the game itself.)

Alastor_Haven
Sep 22, 2008, 02:21 AM
It's just a dam game man lol

And if they wanna press buttons

Like us in PSU pressing TWO fucking buttons to attack things

It's fun to them lol

Syl
Sep 22, 2008, 02:45 AM
First off, if you're playing Guitar Hero thinking it will make you better at guitar, you're doing it wrong. If you think people play it to get better at guitar as well, you're also doing it wrong.

Secondly,

If people are interested in playing and learning music to go out and buy the real thing.

There's people out there who flame others with "OMG IT R NOT REAL GUITAR Y U NO PLEH REAL GUITAR NUB OLOLO?" Yeah, well, I play both (guitar player for about... 5-6 years now?) and do pretty well on both too. Guess I can't play the game! ;_;

Thirdly, it's a game. Nothing more. It's made to have fun either by yourself or with friends. There's people on both ends take the game too seriously, but it's usually people who bash on it thinking this is more than just a game.

It's no different than any rhythm game, or games for that matter. Someone could bash on FPS players saying you're some bloodthirsty angst-filled murderer, but you aren't right? I mean, you should definitely go buy a gun and shoot people instead of wasting your time on a game right? Or even with PSU, go Jabroga some Human fundamentalists who are probably part of the Illuminus instead of wasting your time in PSU pretending you're doing it. :wacko:

Lastly,

Ever since Nirvana came out, the majority of music talent took a huge major step backwards with cheap and crappy cookie cut patterns and no talent forms of guitar playing.
First off, that doesn't have anything to do with Guitar Hero... at all >_> Your horrible stab at generalizing music is pretty laughable too (while I can agree to a point, it's just not the one you made. Should be saved for another time/rant though since this isn't what the thread is about).

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 03:03 AM
your argument is stale.

As well as the fact playing guitar hero isnt like a guitar, its just a rythm game to the tune of a guitar. I mean do you hate dance dance revolution too because its not real dancing?

Dance Revolution is another joke, just hitting buttons, but that game has potential. It should be marketed for overweight people.

EphekZ
Sep 22, 2008, 03:14 AM
you've trolled better than this.

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 03:17 AM
First off, that doesn't have anything to do with Guitar Hero... at all >_> Your horrible stab at generalizing music is pretty laughable too (while I can agree to a point, it's just not the one you made. Should be saved for another time/rant though since this isn't what the thread is about).

It does tie in together in some form how I am relating the decline of musical talent. What company owns this game? I rest my case.

SpikeOtacon
Sep 22, 2008, 03:18 AM
Thankfully Rock Band is in the clear.

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 03:25 AM
you've trolled better than this.

LOL, Im not trolling. This is a legitimate rant for me.

Alastor_Haven
Sep 22, 2008, 03:47 AM
First off, if you're playing Guitar Hero thinking it will make you better at guitar, you're doing it wrong. If you think people play it to get better at guitar as well, you're also doing it wrong.

Secondly,

There's people out there who flame others with "OMG IT R NOT REAL GUITAR Y U NO PLEH REAL GUITAR NUB OLOLO?" Yeah, well, I play both (guitar player for about... 5-6 years now?) and do pretty well on both too. Guess I can't play the game! ;_;

Thirdly, it's a game. Nothing more. It's made to have fun either by yourself or with friends. There's people on both ends take the game too seriously, but it's usually people who bash on it thinking this is more than just a game.

It's no different than any rhythm game, or games for that matter. Someone could bash on FPS players saying you're some bloodthirsty angst-filled murderer, but you aren't right? I mean, you should definitely go buy a gun and shoot people instead of wasting your time on a game right? Or even with PSU, go Jabroga some Human fundamentalists who are probably part of the Illuminus instead of wasting your time in PSU pretending you're doing it. :wacko:

Lastly,

This just destroyed the topic

END

Weeaboolits
Sep 22, 2008, 04:42 AM
I wasn't aware that Guitar Hero stood for something more than being a fun rhythm game with good music.

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 05:11 AM
I wasn't aware that Guitar Hero stood for something more than being a fun rhythm game with good music.

The evil empire behind it wants you to believe that.

Retehi
Sep 22, 2008, 05:41 AM

Take off the tinfoil hat Luke Skywalker.

Adriano
Sep 22, 2008, 05:54 AM
Take off the tinfoil hat Luke Skywalker.

I laughed harder than I should've..
Indica your posts/threads are the best.

Kent
Sep 22, 2008, 08:15 AM
Guitar Hero is not a toy - it's a game.

Games are designed to be fun and entertaining.

And since you hate everything Guitar Hero stands for... You hate fun and entertainment?

Cracka_J
Sep 22, 2008, 09:54 AM
I think as long as your playing gh/rb for fun and enjoyment, and can realize it is about as close to playing a real guitar as playing air guitar, you're fine.

When you think you've actually accomplished something musically by getting good at GH, that's when you gotta go get your head checked. Unfortunately Sylvia, the large part of GH's audience are kids and teenagers who do believe they are accomplishing something by playing this game. Go down to your local best buy and see in person.

While I enjoy GH, it's solely on a video game level (not to mention it's a great drinking game). You can enjoy it, play it, get good at it, even get competitive at it, but in the end it's just a video game. Like Indica said, if you want to play guitar, go buy one. RB sets are $150. You can get a starter guitar and amp set for that price, instead of a box of plastic.

Reno
Sep 22, 2008, 10:36 AM
It's funny you mention that, because most people who play Guitar Hero hate those kinds of easy/boring songs anyway and would rather play/listen to the ones with crazy solos and whatnot that you're championing yourself

SO with that in mind, would you rather have someone inspired to pick up a real guitar after playing GH (it happens!), or after being told Kurt Cobain is a genius by the TV?

(And on the same note, wouldn't it be wonderful to have said Nirvana-inspired-talentless-idiots be drawn to GH instead of real instruments, filtering them out of the music industry one by one... everybody wins!)

Solstis
Sep 22, 2008, 10:44 AM

Nirvana?

amtalx
Sep 22, 2008, 12:05 PM
Has anyone stopped to think that people who play rhythm games don't actually want to play guitar, and if they did, they might buy one and take lessons? When I play rhythm games, its to play a game. If I want to be artistic and play music, I get a real instrument. Stop confusing the two.

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 12:08 PM
Nirvana?

Since when is a band an empire? Im talking about Mtv and think you and that other guy with that Eraserhead whatever picture are wearing the tinfoil hats. When I say Mtv is an "Evil Empire" I mean they are as crooked and corrupt as the Pharmaceutical and Oil Industry.

I can see how it can be fun to get drunk or have a party to screw around with this game, but keep in mind. The corporations behind this game who have been fucking us in the past all these years are using this game as a tool to corrupt the morals and minds of young people.

Para
Sep 22, 2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-2Zw0hgfEw

:wacko:

Darkly
Sep 22, 2008, 12:56 PM
. The corporations behind this game who have been fucking us in the past all these years are using this game as a tool to corrupt the morals and minds of young people.

Hahaha, oh wow.

Feelmirath
Sep 22, 2008, 01:10 PM
The corporations behind this game who have been fucking us in the past all these years are using this game as a tool to corrupt the morals and minds of young people.

I laughed harder than I should've..

It's just a game, rofl

Powder Keg
Sep 22, 2008, 01:16 PM
Guitar Hero is fine. It's Rock Band that's a little overboard IMO.

But what about the people who end up inspired to play guitar because of GH? I'm sure there are some out there.

Retehi
Sep 22, 2008, 01:19 PM
Since when is a band an empire? Im talking about Mtv and think you and that other guy with that Eraserhead whatever picture

Eraserhead?! ERASERHEAD?!!!!!!

I have nothing more to say with this one.

Neith
Sep 22, 2008, 01:26 PM
*yawn* Fail argument is fail.

Seen this way too much on Youtube comments.

Guess what (as hard as this may be to believe): some people don't WANT to play a real instrument.. Some players also DO play real instruments. I actually have a real bass guitar. Admittedly I haven't had the time or devotion to learn much (just basic basslines really), but some of us (whether a total beginner like me, or a pro) do have a real instrument too.

When I play GH or Rock Band, I don't sit there thinking 'hell yeah, I'm shredding', I think 'yeah, this is a fun game'. Does this mean all FPS players should join the army?

What you, and everyone who posts the LRN2PLAERLGEETAR comments on Youtube fail to realise is that the people who play GH and RB do it because they WANT to play a game. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

DreXxiN
Sep 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
Indica, you kinda failed me, I thought you were a generally smart person until I saw this thread, unless it's a really bad attempt at a troll, lol.

I play Guitar, Keyboard, Drums for one day and am already decent at it, and I also sing and plan on being a vocalist for a local band..and Yes "LOL I CAN DO DRAGUNFURCE ON EXPRT ON A PLASTIC TOY OLOLOL"

*Facepalm* If anything, it inspired me back in the day to pick an instrument BACK UP.

And, ok, Nirvana is good and all, but fuck all that stupid Grunge fanboy bullshit. Do you really think, i mean REALLY think talent ended with Nirvana? If so, you're a pile of bullshit, because I'm sorry, Nirvana may have had good music, but talent? Um, no. That's a bad example to throw out there as "the end of a talented era"

The corporations behind this game who have been fucking us in the past all these years are using this game as a tool to corrupt the morals and minds of young people.

Lmfao, says the guy with "Weed = Intelligence ololol" In his signature. *Flee's from flamewar*

Reno
Sep 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
And, ok, Nirvana is good and all, but fuck all that stupid Grunge fanboy bullshit. Do you really think, i mean REALLY think talent ended with Nirvana? If so, you're a pile of bullshit, because I'm sorry, Nirvana may have had good music, but talent? Um, no. That's a bad example to throw out there as "the end of a talented era"

I believe the point was that Nirvana spawned a new era of "hey kids, you don't need to learn how to play guitar to be in a cool, successful band!" in the media, not that they were the last talented band (far from it)

What that has to do with Guitar Hero though, I have no idea

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 02:40 PM
lol, Im not really promoting Weed = Intelligence but rather spread the truth and mock Just Say No which is utter BS. Have you ever clicked on the picture and read the site? If my Pot leaf was so offensive and bad, I think the MOD's here would have removed it a long time ago and have given me warnings..etc

I dont really want to offend people because I know lot of people play it but it's a hard gulp to swallow. I am totally against how the Media and big Corporations push and controls things, and that is the major reason why I hate this game.

Yes I own some Nirvana music but it disgusts me how Mtv and the rest of the media pushed it and created a whole new trend of cookie cutter patterns. I can throw in a ton of other relating examples but that will go off topic and create other problems. These media companies are NOT your friends, they are all about manipulating and making more money for themselves.

Toadthroat
Sep 22, 2008, 02:55 PM
Drexxin, Indica is saying Nirvana had NO talent. And so they brought an end to 'good music' and such.

Aisha379
Sep 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
I've always loved reading people whine and complain about Guitar Hero.

Its just....so....funny. Its like the "violent games make violent people" argument, but so so so much more pointless and retarded.

People play Guitar Hero, they have fun, get over it.

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 03:06 PM
I dont really mean it brought a total end to good music. It just created a whole new trend.

Dragonforce is a talented band but Im not really into them. I enjoy it sometimes and compare it to bands like Dream Theater and Trans-Siberian Orchestra which are great talented bands also but not something I listen to all the time.

Punk music has absolutely no talent at all but you can see how The Ramones and NY Dolls music evolved into something. As for Nirvana, i dont see it as an advancement but steps backwards.

Outrider
Sep 22, 2008, 03:26 PM
I dont really mean it brought a total end to good music. It just created a whole new trend.

Dragonforce is a talented band but Im not really into them. I enjoy it sometimes and compare it to bands like Dream Theater and Trans-Siberian Orchestra which are great talented bands also but not something I listen to all the time.

Punk music has absolutely no talent at all but you can see how The Ramones and NY Dolls music evolved into something. As for Nirvana, i dont see it as an advancement but steps backwards.

I read the entire thread and I still can't figure out what you're talking about.

So how far are we allowed to go with music games? Is anything fair game so long as your controller isn't instrument shaped? How about if it has a picture of a guitar on it? Is that okay or are we too close to ignoring your Dave Matthews cover band?

DreXxiN
Sep 22, 2008, 04:50 PM
Punk music has absolutely no talent QFT.

Ok, your back in the game.

Well, I dunno, I honestly Just like Guitar Hero, it's fun, but that's because I've always loved rhythm games, the fact that it's with Rock music is just better.

CelestialBlade
Sep 22, 2008, 05:07 PM
I love how "no talent" is evidently a universal judgment. I don't think anyone who sits on an internet forum bringing up oooold, pointless debates has any ground to judge a band's talent, personally.

If I play a shooting game, do I have to be a soldier? If I play a racing game, do I have to be in NASCAR? The reason these games exist is to attempt to simulate the experience. I'm really into dancing and I can definitely tell you that DDR is not going to prepare you for the club floor, but that doesn't make the game any less fun, and doesn't make anyone who plays any less of a person.

Solstis
Sep 22, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'm pretty sure there was this group called the Partridge Family long before Nirvana came out.

Oh, I'm thinking of something else, oh yeah, The Monkeys. Hey hey, we can't play our instruments.

People have been ruining music way before flannel.

Yeah, MTV is an evil media empire. I'm pretty sure that everything they do now is based on algorithms.

Leviathan
Sep 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
^The irony of MTV is the first video aired was called "Video Killed the Radio Star" :wacko:

EphekZ
Sep 22, 2008, 05:45 PM
LOL, Im not trolling. This is a legitimate rant for me.

Really? Then please, quit life.

Aisha379
Sep 22, 2008, 06:27 PM
I love how "no talent" is evidently a universal judgment. I don't think anyone who sits on an internet forum bringing up oooold, pointless debates has any ground to judge a band's talent, personally.

If I play a shooting game, do I have to be a soldier? If I play a racing game, do I have to be in NASCAR? The reason these games exist is to attempt to simulate the experience. I'm really into dancing and I can definitely tell you that DDR is not going to prepare you for the club floor, but that doesn't make the game any less fun, and doesn't make anyone who plays any less of a person.

This.

People always get pissed at me when I try to act like how I do on Hitman: Bloodmoney =(

Alastor_Haven
Sep 22, 2008, 06:35 PM
If you want to be IN the game
NOW IMAGINE IF YOU PLAY GUITAR HERO WITH THAT DRUG :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2IjlwtOQII

amtalx
Sep 22, 2008, 06:36 PM

I hate punk music, but writing off an entire genre because you don't like it is BS.

Syl
Sep 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
rofl that video was awesome XD

Para
Sep 22, 2008, 06:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2IjlwtOQII

The fact that they can even get in a car while imagining they're playing mario kart makes me lol.

Commodity
Sep 22, 2008, 07:34 PM
Why is everyone making a big deal about this?

The OP was probably high when he wrote it and replied to our posts.

Alastor_Haven
Sep 22, 2008, 07:54 PM
Fucking hell man

WHY DO PEOPLE PLAY CALL OF DUTY

WTF

IF THEY WANNA SHOOT PEOPLE

THEY SHOULD BE A SOLDIER IN REAL LIFE

FUCK

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 08:22 PM
I see a huge difference between Call of Duty, PSU, WOW, Grand Theft Auto or any racing game then Guitar Hero.

When I first saw Guitar Hero at a store and some guy playing Smoke On The Water, I thought it was pretty cool. I just don't like the how the Music Industry slithered in and causing this game to be a huge money pit. All these extra downloads that cost money is just insane.

With GTA you can buy a steering wheel controller or maybe buy the special edition, but it stops right there. In 2 years or whatever a new GTA game will come out.

Guitar Hero, Rock Band..etc these companies are milking ever last cent out of you. As I said again these are the same corporations who have been manipulating the industry for over 20 years. Im not bitching about having fun but how the Corporate game is being run.

Alastor_Haven
Sep 22, 2008, 08:24 PM
Did you miss my point?

IT'S A GAME????

Commodity
Sep 22, 2008, 08:27 PM
All these extra downloads that cost money is just insane.
I bet life before Limewire sure was tough huh?

Sord
Sep 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
I mean this in all seriousness Indica... are you a hippie?

SpikeOtacon
Sep 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
I just don't like the how the Music Industry slithered in and causing this game to be a huge money pit. All these extra downloads that cost money is just insane.

Guitar Hero, Rock Band..etc these companies are milking ever last cent out of you. As I said again these are the same corporations who have been manipulating the industry for over 20 years. Im not bitching about having fun but how the Corporate game is being run.

DLC is the new black in the games industry.

And to be honest, I like seeing a massive list of tracks when I load up Rock Band 2. All but 2 RB1 songs, all RB2 songs, and all DLC. I have such a huge selection that I rarely play the same playlist twice. The replayability at parties is absolutely insane. Sorry that this shit doesn't come free, but i'd rather pay per song that I actually give a crap about rather than keep buying discs of hit-or-miss songs.

Paying $1-$2 a song that can be used in 4 instruments, 4 difficulties, in two games at once and in a multitude of ways is not being greedy. That's giving me what I want and letting me choose what I want out of it.

Warner Bros records (home of The Flaming Lips, one of my favorite bands) stated that they wanted prices to go up for DLC tracks before their artists started getting into these games. Harmonix and Activision told them to fuck themselves. So as you can see, the industry doesn't have as much power as you think it does.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 22, 2008, 08:42 PM
I see a huge difference between Call of Duty, PSU, WOW, Grand Theft Auto or any racing game then Guitar Hero.

When I first saw Guitar Hero at a store and some guy playing Smoke On The Water, I thought it was pretty cool. I just don't like the how the Music Industry slithered in and causing this game to be a huge money pit. All these extra downloads that cost money is just insane.

With GTA you can buy a steering wheel controller or maybe buy the special edition, but it stops right there. In 2 years or whatever a new GTA game will come out.

Sounds like you want games and music for free.

We'd all like that, but it ain't gonna happen.

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 08:44 PM
I bet life before Limewire sure was tough huh?

Yea, when I was your age I pissed tons and tons of money on CD's when we were promised CD would be cheaper then cassette tapes. Heck with Limewire, Usenet has been around for 30 years and a billion times better and you dont have to worry about the RIAA

I mean this in all seriousness Indica... are you a hippie?

I dont look like one..lol but I would consider myself a cross between a Hippie and Radical. I dont believe in cell phones but that is another story..hahahahah

Commodity
Sep 22, 2008, 08:48 PM
Yea, when I was your age
You walked uphill both ways to and from school with a joint in your hand?

Toadthroat
Sep 22, 2008, 08:49 PM
Requesting sticky.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 22, 2008, 08:49 PM
Darn kids and their drug doin'.

Ranmaru
Sep 22, 2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, Indica, become a MAYN and get a job. Learn that you need to choose between that WII and PS3, and that you may need to conserve on moneys for bills and food for your loved ones.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 22, 2008, 08:52 PM
And by food he means drugs.

Indica
Sep 22, 2008, 08:58 PM
You walked uphill both ways to and from school with a joint in your hand?

I didn't smoke weed when I was in High school. Safety and responsibility should always be #1 :)

And by food he means drugs.

Yes totally. Coffee and Cigarettes is the best food.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 22, 2008, 08:59 PM
I didn't smoke weed when I was in High school. Safety and responsibility should always be #1 :)
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/663/reverseth4.jpg

pikachief
Sep 22, 2008, 09:56 PM
i play Guitar Hero. not once did i or do i ever think HEY THIS IS LIKE GUITAR :O lololol cuz its obvious its not.

comparing this to the real thing is fail. comparing it to other games is not. y? cuz thats what Guitar hero is. an entertainment device with no other purpose.

u hate it and all taht it stands for? it stands for using the power of music, and turning into a functional and fun game lol.

Solstis
Sep 22, 2008, 09:58 PM
HOW ABOUT I JUST CONDENSE ALL MY FUCKING POSTS ON MY VERY FIRST POST?

Well, it would've helped.

The guitar controller thing was silly, but the RIAA rant could've gone somewhere nice, barring mini-trolls.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 22, 2008, 10:16 PM
Im not posting here because the MOD here is fucking lame. HOW ABOUT I JUST CONDENSE ALL MY FUCKING POSTS ON MY VERY FIRST POST?
Double posting is against the rules.

Dragonforce is a talented band
Where the hell is my Blacklist option...

Ranmaru
Sep 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
Really, I like to play Guitar Hero and DDR. Guitar Hero isn't meant to creat untalented bands, and I bet Dragonforce never even played that... >_> I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks of that, only that I get to choose how I can have fun, how I can buy. If you don't like neither of those, don't play it. Its not your problem. Deal with it. :disapprove:

thunder-ray
Sep 22, 2008, 10:32 PM
WOW this thread makes me LOL

unicorn
Sep 22, 2008, 10:36 PM
I hate Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

DDR is okay, but its an oversized controller.

CelestialBlade
Sep 22, 2008, 11:41 PM
How can Rock Band be blamed for sucking all your money away when we still pay for PSU and we're not getting any updates? At least RB gives you stuff.

DreXxiN
Sep 23, 2008, 12:37 AM
Double posting is against the rules.

Where the hell is my Blacklist option...

Awww, c'mon now. Why does everything with "GUITAR HERO" in it turn into a Dragonforce flaming thread XD

Powder Keg
Sep 23, 2008, 12:45 AM
Who cares about a band's talent? You could be the most talented band or artist in the world and still sound like shit....and vice versa. Sometimes talent can have a pretty broad definition when it comes to things other than instrument-playing as well.

Darkly
Sep 23, 2008, 01:52 AM
Who cares about a band's talent? You could be the most talented band or artist in the world and still sound like shit....and vice versa. Sometimes talent can have a pretty broad definition when it comes to things other than instrument-playing as well.

agree - grindcore is talented but sounds shit. Anyway i think we can all agree indica is an idiot.

thunder-ray
Sep 23, 2008, 05:33 AM
agree - grindcore is talented but sounds shit. Anyway i think we can all agree indica is an idiot.I secound this