PDA

View Full Version : Calling all hip-hop music listeners.

Tessu
Sep 23, 2008, 09:11 PM
Give me one redeeming quality about the music, and you're okay.

EphekZ
Sep 23, 2008, 09:17 PM
Good beats and fun to dance to.

/thread

McLaughlin
Sep 23, 2008, 09:22 PM
I would agree. Some songs have a real catchy beat. Most of it though, I don't care for much.

Toadthroat
Sep 23, 2008, 09:23 PM
Give me one redeeming quality about [Insert Genre You Don't Like], and you're okay.

Fixed.

Well, first of all, state your beef with Hip-Hop music and I'll show you a song that doesn't showcase that.

Also, Tessu. The music your sister listens to isn't representative of all Hip-Hop. Thats like turning on MTV, listening to MCR, and saying all rock sucks.

McLaughlin
Sep 23, 2008, 09:26 PM
A-MILLE A-MILLE A-MILLE

Sorry, but Lil' Wayne needs to die.

Indica
Sep 23, 2008, 09:37 PM
KRS-1 and Boogie Down Productions, I dont need to go any further

http://www.janettebeckman.com/jb.rocks/hiphop/assets/krs1.jpg

The_Gio
Sep 23, 2008, 10:24 PM
well everyone has their own likes about music, you dont see everyone saying they like ska just because i like it. Music has different genres for a reason you know, each person has their likes. Its like me asking you, what do you like about (the music you listen to), and you give me reasons, thats just your opinion and tastes doesnt mean ill like it just cuz its logical. I think its stupid when people see music as something more than what it is,.Its just a form of expression from the bands or artist point of view and its just something listeners enjoy either cuz we relate to it or because we dance to it. Theres a bunch of reasons, but music shouldnt define anything in anyway about yourself. Doesnt make you tougher, doesnt make you a pussy, music is music

i personally hate metal cuz every metal head i met by far acts the same stereotypical way, they wont like anything just cuz its not metal, call everything else emo, hate on it, say it sucks ass and just punch each other at shows and ruin everyone whos theres time

Leviathan
Sep 23, 2008, 10:26 PM
rap "artists" are fags...although the beat is good in some "songs"

Rap artists aren't cigs. ;o

Also: Fun to dance too. But not as fun as techno &dance.

There is good rap out there you just need to find it, such as how there is good rock out there, but you just need to find it. ;-)

Ranmaru
Sep 23, 2008, 11:24 PM
I believe Hiphop (not all of it mind you) is good because it relates past experiences, either good or bad, with good singing/rapping skills, and beat/rhythm/etc. For example, Nas is a great rapper, I love his old songs, like "last real nigga alive" and "The world is yours". Now, newer or recent songs artists, like Soulja boi, suck. Sadly, Nas was right when he said "hiphop is dead". Hopefully, there are still good Rap artists around that have some talent that my little sister can look up to, and I wouldn't say "Darn kids these days!".

Indica, don't try sarcasm again. I could tell it was from the post before you, but it doesn't seem like sarcasm at all.

Now, about metal:

well everyone has their own likes about music, you dont see everyone saying they like ska just because i like it. Music has different genres for a reason you know, each person has their likes. Its like me asking you, what do you like about (the music you listen to), and you give me reasons, thats just your opinion and tastes doesnt mean ill like it just cuz its logical. I think its stupid when people see music as something more than what it is,.Its just a form of expression from the bands or artist point of view and its just something listeners enjoy either cuz we relate to it or because we dance to it. Theres a bunch of reasons, but music shouldnt define anything in anyway about yourself. Doesnt make you tougher, doesnt make you a pussy, music is music

i personally hate metal cuz every metal head i met by far acts the same stereotypical way, they wont like anything just cuz its not metal, call everything else emo, hate on it, say it sucks ass and just punch each other at shows and ruin everyone whos theres time

Good, I also listen to metal, but I do not call everything I don't like "emo". Well, I would like my music taste to sort of define me. I am very open, so when a friend suggests a band, I listen to it no matter the oponion. For example, a friend suggested Exodus and Ufo, both good bands. Another friend suggested Atreyu, and I started to listen to them. To me, they sort of sound like Bullet for my Valentine, but then, I heard "The Theft" and I couldn't stop repeating it since! So, it all depends on the taste, and the person who is listening to it. Hehe, so, with that logic, I can listen to some songs that my sister listens to, and enjoy them! Some others, I do not like, simple as that. So, even though my sister listens to Soulja boi, she probaly is listening to songs I would love, but she would consider "Ok". Understand?

Powder Keg
Sep 23, 2008, 11:43 PM
Did you know?

The music you listen to determines your worth as a human being.

The_Gio
Sep 23, 2008, 11:51 PM
I believe Hiphop (not all of it mind you) is good because it relates past experiences, either good or bad, with good singing/rapping skills, and beat/rhythm/etc. For example, Nas is a great rapper, I love his old songs, like "last real nigga alive" and "The world is yours". Now, newer or recent songs artists, like Soulja boi, suck. Sadly, Nas was right when he said "hiphop is dead". Hopefully, there are still good Rap artists around that have some talent that my little sister can look up to, and I wouldn't say "Darn kids these days!".

Indica, don't try sarcasm again. I could tell it was from the post before you, but it doesn't seem like sarcasm at all.

Now, about metal:

Good, I also listen to metal, but I do not call everything I don't like "emo". Well, I would like my music taste to sort of define me. I am very open, so when a friend suggests a band, I listen to it no matter the oponion. For example, a friend suggested Exodus and Ufo, both good bands. Another friend suggested Atreyu, and I started to listen to them. To me, they sort of sound like Bullet for my Valentine, but then, I heard "The Theft" and I couldn't stop repeating it since! So, it all depends on the taste, and the person who is listening to it. Hehe, so, with that logic, I can listen to some songs that my sister listens to, and enjoy them! Some others, I do not like, simple as that. So, even though my sister listens to Soulja boi, she probaly is listening to songs I would love, but she would consider "Ok". Understand?

well like i said everyone i met by far, i didnt say everyone was like that. Itd be stupid to say EVERY METAL HEAD IS LIKE THAT!! AND THATS FACT!! im just saying thats how the kids are here and theyve ruined my taste for metal in everyway. so much to the point im willing to say things like i hate a genre, im really the open type but these kids are so close minded i might as well piss them off since its so easy to

Solstis
Sep 24, 2008, 12:11 AM
The OP has yet to post again in the thread.

Should we start a flamewar to make things more interesting? Pretty sure we had this discussion twice in the last month. At least.

Obvious conclusions. Music is personal and people get uptight about it. Try not to be uptight. Done.

xxcornersxx
Sep 24, 2008, 12:23 AM
Nothing brings the bump in my subs more than rap. Nuff said. Reppin the atl :]

pikachief
Sep 24, 2008, 12:45 AM
Rap artists aren't cigs. ;o

Also: Fun to dance too. But not as fun as techno &dance.

There is good rap out there you just need to find it, such as how there is good rock out there, but you just need to find it. ;-)

good rock isnt nearly as hard to find as good rap tho :(

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 24, 2008, 05:34 AM
Queen Latifah/Missy Elliot/TLC/Female empowerment!

OR

Find your own reason, or don't really.

Easy enough to keep an open mind and test the waters by searching out your own reason to continue listening to hip-hop after sampling some of what's out there.

Also just the same if you don't want to expand what music you want to listen to and are doing your own thing, without prejudice and stereotypes about what you don't know about anyway.
-
I had a Jewish-Rap CD come in the mail the other day after checking it out on Last.fm. All kinds of things out there within the genre, video-games, nerdcore, country, gospel (see DMX now), etc. etc.

Its really not that serious. Crazy kids.

Tessu
Sep 24, 2008, 07:53 AM
Oh, we had this discussion? Aw. I was hopin' for another flame war!

But really. Even if music is personal, I just can not see the good in hip-hop or rap music. It scarcely ever contains actual instruments, and with all the fucking synthesizer it sounds like the singer is underwater.
Of course, my hip-hop experience is limited to a hip-hop dancing class when I was young, listening to what my sister wants to listen to for an hour and a half in the car, and whatever pretentious girl decides to bring her iPod and sing. Maybe Dizzy's right, and there's another side I haven't heard.

I'm listening.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 24, 2008, 08:06 AM

But really. Even if music is personal, I just can not see the good in hip-hop or rap music. It scarcely ever contains actual instruments, and with all the fucking synthesizer it sounds like the singer is underwater.
Of course, my hip-hop experience is limited to a hip-hop dancing class when I was young, listening to what my sister wants to listen to for an hour and a half in the car, and whatever pretentious girl decides to bring her iPod and sing. Maybe Dizzy's right, and there's another side I haven't heard.

I'm listening.
Don't make me "forum somebodies ass."

That's the thing again. Ever heard of The Roots out of Philadelphia?
They are a live band in every sense of the word, and they make Hip-hop, imagine that.

No reason to be upset and for some, borderline angry at what they don't know (or understand, as is a different saying goes).

And teh hell do you mean good? You need instruments to make good? Maybe you mean, "I haven't heard a lot of good hip-hop," which is an entirely acceptable opinion. Although the standard stereotype is a buncha songs about shooting people, F the Police, etc. this type of song has been played out and beaten into a dead horse just the same and there aren't a lot of people whom really do enjoy hip-hop and also enjoy these songs.

Your standard rap n00b who needs to get back at mom in the suburbs or make sure the people at the gas station know he's a badass with the bass (attention whore) may be the ones buying all the shooting people CD's/songs and are particular to putting as many rappers on one song as possible to "make the best song evAr."

I agree that the Audio-Tune "voice synthesizer" is the work of the devil and people whom use that usually don't have talent in the first place, as evidenced in a satire of Pop music in a Simpsons episode about boy bands, and I've made plenty of posts saying "T-Pain sucks," before.

But guess what again, does all Hip-Hop have that? Nope.

You can have your opinion, regardless of checking out hip-hop or not and then ultimately not making it a big part of your music listening, that's fine. Just don't stereotype and make more ruckus on the internets that becomes race war flame off etc. That's a whole new territory of do not cross.

amtalx
Sep 24, 2008, 08:41 AM
Give me one redeeming quality about Tessu, and you're okay.

Your move.

Kent
Sep 24, 2008, 10:08 AM
Give me one redeeming quality about the music, and you're okay.
It can accurately set an unspecified mood.

It can accurately set an unspecified mood.

Cracka_J
Sep 24, 2008, 10:21 AM
This redeems all rap/hip hop single handedly. kthxbai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Veqz8W98iA

Solstis
Sep 24, 2008, 10:54 AM
Oh Kent. I miss disagreeing with everything you posted.

This whole finding you succinct and ultimately correct thing is getting on my nerves.

Midicronica
Sep 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
This redeems all rap/hip hop single handedly. kthxbai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Veqz8W98iA

lmfao I loved StepBrothers. Can't wait for it come out on DVD.

Underground Hip-Hop is a lot better the mainstream radio/MTV artists you hear today. The songs are more lyrically diverse and usually pull from other styles like jazz, funk, techno, and stay true to the roots of classic hip-hop.

Weeaboolits
Sep 24, 2008, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZujdWeelYE0

Toadthroat
Sep 24, 2008, 02:18 PM

Of course, my hip-hop experience is limited to a hip-hop dancing class when I was young, listening to what my sister wants to listen to for an hour and a half in the car, and whatever pretentious girl decides to bring her iPod and sing. Maybe Toady's right, and there's another side I haven't heard.

I'm listening.

The synthesizer thing is a gimmick that only Pop artists that like to masquerade as hip-hop use. And there are plenty rap songs that use REAL instrumentation and not just samples and a drum kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A3OHelBweY

There are plenty of flavors of hip-hop out there, just like any other genre. Just gotta find it.

Ranmaru
Sep 24, 2008, 02:35 PM
Woah. This isn't locked yet.
O O'

Only because you aren't posting anything relevant to the topic. >_>

On Topic:I agree with Toady as well, not all hip hop has synthesizer crap in it.

my hip-hop experience is limited to a hip-hop dancing class

Ah, I see, then I guess that may be the reason. I blame your sister. : >

Tessu
Sep 24, 2008, 05:57 PM

Your move.

I have good taste.

Don't make me "forum somebodies ass."

That's the thing again. Ever heard of The Roots out of Philadelphia?
They are a live band in every sense of the word, and they make Hip-hop, imagine that.

No reason to be upset and for some, borderline angry at what they don't know (or understand, as is a different saying goes).

And teh hell do you mean good? You need instruments to make good? Maybe you mean, "I haven't heard a lot of good hip-hop," which is an entirely acceptable opinion. Although the standard stereotype is a buncha songs about shooting people, F the Police, etc. this type of song has been played out and beaten into a dead horse just the same and there aren't a lot of people whom really do enjoy hip-hop and also enjoy these songs.

Your standard rap n00b who needs to get back at mom in the suburbs or make sure the people at the gas station know he's a badass with the bass (attention whore) may be the ones buying all the shooting people CD's/songs and are particular to putting as many rappers on one song as possible to "make the best song evAr."

I agree that the Audio-Tune "voice synthesizer" is the work of the devil and people whom use that usually don't have talent in the first place, as evidenced in a satire of Pop music in a Simpsons episode about boy bands, and I've made plenty of posts saying "T-Pain sucks," before.

But guess what again, does all Hip-Hop have that? Nope.

You can have your opinion, regardless of checking out hip-hop or not and then ultimately not making it a big part of your music listening, that's fine. Just don't stereotype and make more ruckus on the internets that becomes race war flame off etc. That's a whole new territory of do not cross.

Post too long, but I read the gist of it.
Number one, I was kiddin' about the flame war thing. And I'm not REALLY that closed-minded about hip-hop, it was an exaggeration. It's a rant. It's anger. I'm tired of the shitty shit that my sister is always playing in the car every day constantly forever.

It's difficult to not generalize the whole music when all I've heard is the standard rap n00b with a bunch of synthesizer; that's all I've gotten out of hip hop ever since I was a little tot.

I was expecting people to actually defend the music instead of insulting me, but I guess I shouldn't have such high and unachievable expectations.

Retehi
Sep 24, 2008, 07:29 PM
I have good taste.

hahaha!

EphekZ
Sep 24, 2008, 08:11 PM
Tessu, if you want to make a topic without getting insulted you should stop making yourself look like an ignorant tard. Can't take someone seriously who says she only listens to rap she knows she hates instead of trying to find another artist. Your problem is that you make huge sweeping generalizations that make it seem like you really are trying to troll.

Here's an example; Instead of making a topic and saying "Hey guys, give me a reason why rap doesn't suck. but I'm not gunna listen I'm just gunna come back, re post my original, but somehow longer, post over and over again." You should make a topic in the Off topic section saying "Hi, my experience of rap only consists of a dance class when I was young and my sister, who's taste I don't share. Could some of you maybe show me some good rap/hip-hop so I dont have to be an ignorant hating bitch can broaden my horizons on music. Thanks!

Tessu
Sep 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
You all just can't handle me outright saying what I think. You don't understand.

http://designermagazine.tripod.com/SimplePlan20052.jpg

EphekZ
Sep 24, 2008, 08:46 PM
You didn't rant. You asked us a question, we responded to which you responded pretty much saying, "No rap sucks"

edit: you've already admitted that you haven't heard that much rap, that in itself is where you're terribly wrong about this thread.

Tessu
Sep 24, 2008, 08:50 PM
Well, I actually was only recently informed that rap and hip-hop are the same thing.

In which case, I don't think it all sucks. I always thought hip-hop was always full of synthesizer and rap was... not-that. If that's the case, I DO think there's some good rap out there.

Sorry for the misuse of terms guys.

HOWEVER, going by my previous definition of hip-hop, I still don't think any of it is good.

Shadowpawn
Sep 24, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hip-hop and rap are not the same thing. Hip-hop is the culture in which rap is defined and covers a much boarder scope in urban culture. For example, graffiti or "tagging" is a part of hip-hop.

Tessu
Sep 24, 2008, 08:54 PM
But I meant in musical terms.

Unless I'm wrong again. Which is very possible.

EphekZ
Sep 24, 2008, 08:58 PM
Rap is more focused on lyrics while Hip-Hop is focused on beats. I'm not sure why you don't think Hip-Hop sounds good, you're probably taking the lyrics seriously, and not listening to the sound.

If you want to start with some decent rap Try Immortal Technique, or Talib Kweli.
Hip-Hop, I probably can't help you there. since I don't care for who actually sings it, as long as it sounds good while dancing, etc. It's Kinda like techno or trance. but Outkast is pretty good. I don't have that much Hip-Hop on my computer since I don't listen to it at home.

Toadthroat
Sep 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
Rap is more focused on lyrics while Hip-Hop is focused on beats.

No.
Shadowpawn had it right.
But when it comes to music genres, hip-hop and rap are interchangable terms.

Ranmaru
Sep 24, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hip-Hop, I probably can't help you there. since I don't care for who actually sings it, as long as it sounds good while dancing, etc. It's Kinda like techno or trance.

Wrong. Hip hop isn't like techno or trance, because if it was, then it WOULD be techno or trance. Get it right, Hiphop is like... HIP HOP.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 24, 2008, 10:51 PM
Post too long, but I read the gist of it.

I was expecting people to actually defend the music instead of insulting me, but I guess I shouldn't have such high and unachievable expectations.
You want a defense, so you 're saying you were committing an attack?

For someone expecting some magical end all answer, you didn't want to read the longer responses that you were looking for? Read it later when you have time. Have respect for someone whom took their time out to respond in such detail to you, as you'd expect them to try to read all your messages and get your side. This is the Rants slash serious discussion forum, hence long responses when deemed necessary.

You can't figure this all out in a one sentence blurb.
(Nor in posts that call you a n00bus, and for those that are attacking, REPORT the posts as necessary.)

You can figure it out by finding out on your own leisure how Hip-hop evolved from NYC block party music into political statements about ghetto living conditions into etc. etc. etc. What an eMCee and master of ceremony means, how graffiti and breakdancing is involved in the culture etc. again.

You can't expect some small preference laden answer defending 'music' and you to just click and get it from that answer.

Anyway, lock by request. And people whom are not the OP whom request lock will get warnings for the spam/freeposting nature of such posts in the future.