PDA

View Full Version : So i have psu for the 360...

afterthoughtz
Sep 29, 2008, 04:04 PM
Would you guys recomend getting pso for a gamecube still?? I've been hearing reports about how awesome it is so was just wondering whether it was worth getting or since i have psu it wouldnt really make any sense?

TheOneHero
Sep 29, 2008, 04:15 PM
I totally recommend getting PSO for the GC. It's brilliant.

I've spent quite a lot of time with PSU, it's fun, but it doesn't appeal to me the way PSO does.

Quick comments:

PSU

Has strafing.
Is easier.
Gets old, fast.
Has more weapons.
Pretty graphics.
A generally bad soundtrack.

PSO

Darker and more terrifying storyline. (Terrifying as in, Dark Falz isn't a pansy. There's also a great level of uneasiness in everything.)
Has more unique weapons.
Amazing soundtrack.
The option of having as many characters as you want. (Having multiple memory cards.)
A wide variety of areas. (PSU's areas feel kinda bland to me, I mean some are pretty awesome, but PSO had a much better atmosphere IMO.)
You can melee with a rod and cast with a sword.

AlexCraig
Sep 29, 2008, 04:16 PM
It is definately worth it. Just know that it is vastly different than PSU, so don't expect too many, if any, similarities.

afterthoughtz
Sep 29, 2008, 04:19 PM
Ok as far as the server goes, someone told me its been pulled but someone is running a private server and i'd have to download it. so how exactly does that work? Also how is the communtiy? Meaning as far as how many people still play and if their nice enough to help you level up and so on? Also thanks for the answers!

TheOneHero
Sep 29, 2008, 04:22 PM
Before I answer your reply, I want to add:

PSO gives the feeling of being alone, which added to its overall awesomeness.

The official servers are shut down, and yes there is a private server. Because of the rules, we're unable to name it or talk about how to connect on the forums. *cough*privatemessaging*cough*.

I haven't played on it for awhile, still waiting for some mates to get their GC's up, but the community seems to be an overall nice one. There's quite a few players, so I'm sure you can find a game for your level.

You did want to get PSO for the GameCube, right?

If so, I'll gladly play with you. :3

afterthoughtz
Sep 29, 2008, 04:30 PM
Ok cool, so far its sounding pretty cool, just hope i can get into the graphics tho, but if the game is as fun as they say it shouldnt be a problem i guess:)

Freeze
Sep 29, 2008, 04:43 PM
Don't worry about the graphics, in some cases they are actually better than PSUs. Gal Da Val Island for example is much better than the beach lobby in PSU and PSO has a lot more little details in the scenery that PSU is missing. Look closely and you might see them.

TheOneHero
Sep 29, 2008, 04:51 PM
Don't worry about the graphics, in some cases they are actually better than PSUs. Gal Da Val Island for example is much better than the beach lobby in PSU and PSO has a lot more little details in the scenery that PSU is missing. Look closely and you might see them.

Truth, you has it.

Actually, the sort-of brings up the argument raging on these forums a few years back when talking about graphic differences between PSOGC and PSO Xbox. I know of two things being mentioned, but I can only remember the "telepipe wave" thing. lol

Jaspaller
Sep 29, 2008, 06:10 PM
Definitely worth it... but everyone has a mixed opinion of the gameplay. If you do get it, all I can say is stick to it for a while. It gets really addicting once you level high enough and have a decent party to run with. If you play on an HDTV you'll definitely notice a huge hit in the graphics department (like any other game of last gen).

Truth, you has it.

Actually, the sort-of brings up the argument raging on these forums a few years back when talking about graphic differences between PSOGC and PSO Xbox. I know of two things being mentioned, but I can only remember the "telepipe wave" thing. lol
Telepipe wave thing and the water effects I think? Well besides that... PSOX looked sharper and brighter.

Ayures
Sep 29, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'd just go with BlueBurst, personally.
http://www.psobb.com/downloads/client.php
It's a port of PSO XB with extra content (not that it's great content, but it's still extra >_>).
I suggest using a game controller, though. Playing PSO with a keyboard just doesn't feel right. I use a 360 controller myself, but I've heard PS3 controllers work great, too.

AlexCraig
Sep 29, 2008, 06:53 PM
The official BB client and US server have been taken down. So that link is effectively invalid now. There are other means, but that cannot be spoken of here.

Ayures
Sep 29, 2008, 07:03 PM
The official BB client and US server have been taken down. So that link is effectively invalid now. There are other means, but that cannot be spoken of here.

I think you can still play offline mode.

AlexCraig
Sep 29, 2008, 07:08 PM
BB is online only. There is no offline mode.

Udkedae
Sep 29, 2008, 07:41 PM
Exactly, that's why I got myself a PSO for my GC. The servers are off (saddly, I never got online) but you can still have fun playing solo offline or split screen action with some friends.

Online's still possible, but can't be mentioned here. Besides some of those servers aren't private at all :-D...never mind.

PSO is far more addictive and fun than PSU, but that won't stop me on my quest to get PSU :p.

Vanzazikon
Sep 29, 2008, 08:05 PM
I played PSO first than PSU, after I got PSU, it was boring because I didn't have internet and couldn't play online and there wasn't a real offline mode until you beat chapter 3 of story mode (I think) and of course, I got bored of it right away. Playing Ethan (and I always complain about how lame he is) is freakin' annoying. Every thing he does pisses me off. I feel tainted still just for controling him. *shudder*

PSO GC is one of the best game I ever played, even though I never played it online yet, at least it has a cool split screen 4 player offline mode. Not to mention your own damn character to start with.

So I say yeah, it's worth getting if you're looking for more fun.

TheOneHero
Sep 29, 2008, 09:29 PM
Telepipe wave thing and the water effects I think? Well besides that... PSOX looked sharper and brighter.

Actually, the GC version has more minute details than the Xbox version. :3

AlexCraig
Sep 29, 2008, 09:31 PM
Gentlemen, leave us not reopen old wounds :lol:

In a nutshell, if you can understand that PSO is not PSU, you will be fine. You may like it as much or more than PSU. That is all up to you, though.

afterthoughtz
Sep 30, 2008, 05:00 PM
So i talked to my friend who used to have it on the dreamcast and he said if you died you dropped your current weapon and any meseta you have on ya? Isnt that like...dumb?

AlexCraig
Sep 30, 2008, 05:03 PM
That does happen on GC (and DC it seems). But on GC, if you die, you don't lose your weapon, you just unequip it. On BB, neither happens. You keep your weapon and meseta. Your mag's syncro will decrease as well, but that is easily remedied.

afterthoughtz
Sep 30, 2008, 05:15 PM
Oh well that a lot better, thanks! Now lemme go scourer ebay to see if i can find the game and an adapter:)

AlexCraig
Sep 30, 2008, 05:43 PM
Adapters can be a bit uncommon or rare. They can also go for high prices at times. But they are worth it. The game is easier to come across. If you can, get PSO Plus, since it comes with extra missions that were previously Online-Only.

TheOneHero
Sep 30, 2008, 05:48 PM
If you do get PSO+, remember duping was fixed. So if you find an uber, you'll need to find someone online to make a backup dupe for you in case of corruption or FSOD.

CAVAOUBIEN
Sep 30, 2008, 06:18 PM
I personally love PSO on the GC, and have spent many hours on-line and off-line on this game. My first on-line experience ever, and that makes it very special.

However, for someone who has started with PSU, it is unlikely that the magic will just work the same. Most of the people I know who have tried PSO after hearing so much about it on PSU actually did NOT enjoy the experience. There is a huge difference in PSU's action gameplay which is SIGNIFICANTLY more dynamic compared to PSO's rigid timed attacks. Camera controls are also an object of frustration in PSO. The graphics and character design have aged, and those who say they are nicer in PSO are just biased by their fond memories (they were better designed in many aspects, but they are not more detailed or prettier).

Of course for those of us who started with PSO, we will re-adapt just fine into PSO's gameplay and overlook its aging aspects, just to slip back into what made it so special at the time (the atmosphere, the darker storyline, the music, the level design, the weapons...).

But I'm afraid PSU players will not click instantly, and just look at PSO as the old ancestor, or a curiosity.

CAVAOUBIEN

TheOneHero
Sep 30, 2008, 06:36 PM
PSO allowed players a wider choice in unique play style than in PSU.

The 6-slot "Put whatever you want here", casting with a saber, meleeing with a rod. etc. etc.

NegaTsukasa
Sep 30, 2008, 08:16 PM
PSO is basicly the edge of Segas sword when it comes to making there own MMORPG.
The PSO for GC is a definate buy (Its a direct extract from the Dreamcast versions with some cool and more smooth inhancements). The all out variety and vibe it has, has something about it that makes any other PS game that comes after it well...not AS GOOD. And of course there are so many bizaar and interesting easter eggs or secrets in this game its worth finding them all just to "awe" over. XD

If you ever get it, have fun! And online is a blast! I'll have to get hooked up for online GC sometime.
I'm having connection issues, and apparently am missing a dual bridge connection. ^^;

PSO allowed players a wider choice in unique play style than in PSU.

The 6-slot "Put whatever you want here", casting with a saber, meleeing with a rod. etc. etc.

Yes it did. And you could bring your offline character online as well on PSO. OoO Le gasp!
something PSU failed to do.
ANd it really benefits you on PSO using your offline file offline and online. you can train just by yourself with no annoyance on somedays in stead of (like PSU) having to play two seperate files.

AAAAND

I like how you keep mentioning the "meeleing with a rod." lol

PSU really pissed me off when I found out you could't meele with a rod anymore.
I literaly spent 30 minutes trying to find the physical atttack command with the rod when I first got PSU. ^^;

I personally love PSO on the GC, and have spent many hours on-line and off-line on this game. My first on-line experience ever, and that makes it very special.

However, for someone who has started with PSU, it is unlikely that the magic will just work the same. Most of the people I know who have tried PSO after hearing so much about it on PSU actually did NOT enjoy the experience. There is a huge difference in PSU's action gameplay which is SIGNIFICANTLY more dynamic compared to PSO's rigid timed attacks. Camera controls are also an object of frustration in PSO. The graphics and character design have aged, and those who say they are nicer in PSO are just biased by their fond memories (they were better designed in many aspects, but they are not more detailed or prettier).

Of course for those of us who started with PSO, we will re-adapt just fine into PSO's gameplay and overlook its aging aspects, just to slip back into what made it so special at the time (the atmosphere, the darker storyline, the music, the level design, the weapons...).

But I'm afraid PSU players will not click instantly, and just look at PSO as the old ancestor, or a curiosity.

CAVAOUBIEN
mhm.

I gotten so used to the camera angle/ L button pressing on my Cube that its fluent and like I'm not even pressing the button anymore lol.

But ya. I'm pretty sure its just the opposite with PSo players going into PSU. But slighty different in a sense.

Udkedae
Sep 30, 2008, 10:34 PM
Good points of view here, and the most special ones are: "Meleeing with a rod" and the 6 slot "Put whatever you want in here". Sad to know this (even if I never used a rod :eek:) but I think the graphics and style will suffice.

I mean, it's impossible to compare PSU and PSO right? It's like comparing The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, RIGHT???

I'll make my final opinion when I get PSU. By what I've seen, I'll get bored of it pretty quickly :-(.

TheOneHero
Sep 30, 2008, 11:27 PM
NegaTsukasa, I don't know if you've been told, but we like avoiding double/triple posting. :3

Meleeing with a rod was flipping amazing. I too spent quite a long time looking for the "attack" button on PSU. Then when I found out rods/canes are only for casting, and other weapons can't be used for casting, I just ignored my techs for awhile, lol.

Another thing PSO is great at, is the "quick menu". Yeah PSU has the pallet system, but you can't quickly scroll through a list of techs and use the one you need when you need it, nah, you gotta equip 'em on your rod or cane and switch back and fourth between weapons. Not only do you lose precious pallet space* with rods set to the various healing/support techs, but when you enter a new area they need to load. (Very bothersome when there's hordes of monsters.)

Don't even get me started on healing items/traps. :disapprove:

*Pallet Space.

I know I can switch stuff in and out of the pallet, but I hate carrying craploads of stuff. (I was in a game once where a guy did that, he threatened to kick anyone who picked up anything other than a rare because he only had 5 open spots for extra items.) :disapprove:

Udkedae
Oct 1, 2008, 12:25 PM
More bad news for me :etongue:. Something I hate in adventure/fight is losing time changing stuff.

Now that you mention it, it's so cool to change equipment like that. My friends called my "quickfinger" when I tapped like crazy (knowing what I was doing) the quick menu. So sweet to change from guns fighting to saber fighting, killing hordes of monsters in the way :p.

I still have the sequence: R + Y + down + A (combat) or R + Y + R + 3 up + A (tech) or so many combinations depending on the character :-D. It almost made the ability to hold two types of weapons useless :lol:.

Guess I'll be pretty dissapointed by december :-(.

Ayures
Oct 1, 2008, 04:17 PM
I mean, it's impossible to compare PSU and PSO right? It's like comparing The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, RIGHT???

More like comparing OoT to TP, in my opinion.

AlexCraig
Oct 1, 2008, 04:36 PM
More like comparing OoT to TP, in my opinion.

No, he's right. ALTTP and TP are not connected in any way. But let's save the Zelda discussions for MCLOZ's forums or Book of Mudora's (my) forums. This is PSO, folks.

Anywho, how is the PSO search going, OP?

afterthoughtz
Oct 1, 2008, 09:29 PM
No, he's right. ALTTP and TP are not connected in any way. But let's save the Zelda discussions for MCLOZ's forums or Book of Mudora's (my) forums. This is PSO, folks.

Anywho, how is the PSO search going, OP?
Ummmm yea, the adaptor is pretty rare, cant seem to find it on ebay either, partly cause i couldntsearch ebay properly to save my life...also it might be awhile before i actually get it due to this dumb economy taking away my work hours, also is there any voice chat in pso or just txts??

TheOneHero
Oct 1, 2008, 10:56 PM
No voice chat in PSOGC, I suggest getting a Keyboard converter for the GC also. Or just making a bunch of shortcuts.

AlexCraig
Oct 2, 2008, 03:13 PM
Well, even if you don't get online right away, offline mode is hundreds times better than PSU's offline. It is open, you can still play your custom characters, you find most of the same thing (most content unlocked, save for a couple quests here and there), and you can do offline multiplayer.

Splash
Oct 2, 2008, 07:14 PM
Well, even if you don't get online right away, offline mode is hundreds times better than PSU's offline.
Even if this is an opinion, that's the lousiest statement I have ever heard, if not the most pathetic exaggeration.

PSU and PSO are two different games. They can't be compared. Not especially if you want to talk about the modes and gameplay for each.

AlexCraig
Oct 2, 2008, 07:18 PM
I know they are two different games, and overall are incomparable. But I have played some offline PSU, and I (and I am sure most who have played both games) can safely say that offline PSU was pathetic. Most of the content was inaccessible, you had to wait for several "chapters" before you can make your offline custom character, there was no multiplayer, the list goes on. I stand by what I said.

Splash
Oct 2, 2008, 07:48 PM
I stand by what I said.
You could stand by what you say. It doesn't change the fact that it was still a plain arrogant exaggeration.

I know they are two different games, and overall are incomparable. But I have played some offline PSU
Keyword.

and I (and I am sure most who have played both games) can safely say that offline PSU was pathetic.
Your "sure" was wrong.

Most of the content was inaccessible, you had to wait for several "chapters" before you can make your offline custom character, there was no multiplayer, the list goes on.
Does that make it a "hundred times" worse than PSO? Sure, from an arrogant side point of view. Once again, it is just an exaggeration.

Oh, and by the way, go play AotI then comment.

AlexCraig
Oct 2, 2008, 08:04 PM
You could stand by what you say. It doesn't change the fact that it was still a plain arrogant exaggeration.

Arrogant, it may be. But it is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

Keyword.

Yeah, I played some, before I got bored, tired, and completely unamused by what I was dealing with.

Your "sure" was wrong.

Are you everyone? Can you speak for them? Only as much as I can. So you saying I was wrong was just as wrong as what I said.

Does that make it a "hundred times" worse than PSO? Sure, from an arrogant side point of view. Once again, it is just an exaggeration.

We have already established that it was an arrogant exaggeration on my part. Whoopty-damn-doo! Moving on.

Oh, and by the way, go play AotI then comment.

How about no because I do not like PSU.

Now enough of this. It was my opinion. We can move along now. Stop dissecting everything just to get at people.

Splash
Oct 2, 2008, 08:34 PM
Arrogant, it may be. But it is my opinion and I am entitled to it.
I never said you couldn't.

Yeah, I played some, before I got bored, tired, and completely unamused by what I was dealing with.
How amusing.

Are you everyone? Can you speak for them? Only as much as I can. So you saying I was wrong was just as wrong as what I said.
No, but considering that the PSU's population is more than of PSO's one, I'll say that you are just ignorant.

We have already established that it was an arrogant exaggeration on my part. Whoopty-damn-doo! Moving on
Please do.

How about no because I do not like PSU.
Suit yourself.

Now enough of this. It was my opinion. We can move along now. Stop dissecting everything just to get at people.
Not like you just did the same thing. Way to go hypocrite.

Ryna
Oct 2, 2008, 08:45 PM
That's enough for this thread. The participants are just debating semantics at this point.