- two touch screens
- pictures taken should be able to be manipulated via touch screens
- pitch and sound playback speed can be adjusted
- SD card slot
- store then view pics on Wii Photo Channel
- internal memory for apps
- built-in web browser
- download DSi Ware with Nintendo Points (Wii points renamed
- apps will cost free/200/500/800 points.
- download via the Nintendo DSi Shop.
- owners that connect by March, 2010 will receive 1000 Points as a gift. (Japan)
- Hits Japan on Nov 1st for 18900 yen…2009 release for rest of the world
- DS Station will go into its second phase, becoming the Nintendo Zone service.
- service once again available at McDonalds
- Nintendo Zone Viewer included, no setup needed
- colors: white and frosted black
And I just got my DSL not too long ago. ;-;
Oh wow, after reading through this thing a bit more, rather than skimming it. This looks to be PRETTY FUCKIN ARESOME. Being able to download WiiWare like titles, SD card support (heres to hoping they hack it like they did the PSP), and other perks.

A weird thing though. The fact that its named the DSi. This only fuels rumors that Apple and Nintendo are talking about merging.

Kent
Oct 2, 2008, 12:32 AM
Both of the shoulder buttons are going out on my DS. :/

Though, I'm curious. How much internal memory are we talking? What kinds of "DSiWare" can we expect? Any chance for a VirtualConsole, except GameBoy/Color/Advance games?

Toadthroat
Oct 2, 2008, 12:36 AM
The blog says the DSi will support Virtual Console. Dunno much about internal memory. I'm guessing a reasonable amount.
I forsee some cool apps coming out for this, like iPhone type apps.

TheOneHero
Oct 2, 2008, 12:37 AM
no more GBA slot

Lame.

But everything else seems to outweigh it. :p

I'm very interested in the built-in browser, hopefully it won't be a piece of crap like the current DS Browser is.

Nintendo-Apple merge? =/

Syl
Oct 2, 2008, 12:38 AM
This has me pretty intrigued, but that's all I can say for now until there's more info lol.

Toadthroat
Oct 2, 2008, 12:40 AM
Nintendo-Apple merge? =/

Rumor thats been going around. Nothing official has been said yet. Thinking about it though, it sounds pretty stupid. What with the iPhone 3G coming out, I don't think Apple would buy into Nintendo or vice versa.

Feelmirath
Oct 2, 2008, 12:51 AM
Surely it would be named 'iDS' if Apple and Nintendo merged? XP

I think the i suffix comes from all the extra features; mobile phones do this a lot (especially Nokia).

Alastor_Haven
Oct 2, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hahah

Nice

:l..

Monochrome
Oct 2, 2008, 01:25 AM
Given that I skipped the DS Lite, I'm super-excited for a next next-step DS :)

I never liked how the GBA carts stuck out of the Lite anyway..

Dek
Oct 2, 2008, 02:25 AM
I'll be honest. I truly think removing the GBA port is going to be a bad idea only if they don't implement an idea similar to what Kent mentioned (GB Virtual Console), mostly because there are several DS games that actually take advantage of the GBA slot when specific games are inserted, the biggest example being Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and the upcoming Platinum. However, if they do make it up by offering Game Boy games on that DSi Ware service, then I would really consider getting one. Heck, adding onto that idea, why not the ability to offer and store game demos permanently (like the PS3 does)?

The only storage issue I have, other than how much will be available internally, is what can we store, if we can store anything, on the SD cards? Just pictures and (potentially) songs? Maybe game data (or demos for that matter)?

deso123
Oct 2, 2008, 03:29 AM
Awwsome:
12%, 2.6 millimeters lighter, no more GBA slot
bigger screens, better speakers
SD card slot

Garbage:
Camera: two cameras - one inside and one out - 640×480 resolution
pitch and sound playback speed can be adjusted
camera and audio functions
pictures taken should be able to be manipulated via touch screens

Could have done without:
built-in web browser
store then view pics on Wii Photo Channel
apps will cost free/200/500/800 points.
download via the Nintendo DSi Shop
service once again available at McDonalds (lol...)
Mii on DS in Lifestyle Rhythm Calculator software.

They should make the case look better so it doesn't look like a little box and work on better graphics. Why are they trying to replace cell phones with all the gadgets they have? Make good games and people will buy it, lol.

Zantra
Oct 2, 2008, 03:51 AM
Everyone seems to forget, that it's going to have improved wi-fi (which I never had a problem with in the first place...), so that should help with the online mode of PS0.

Zarode
Oct 2, 2008, 04:50 AM
Could have done without:
built-in web browser

I don't get how Nintendo fans tick in the head, but having an internet browser on the go is pretty nice.

Or, at least, on the PSP it is. DS? Who knows. Probably won't be worth anything. :wacko:

Segya
Oct 2, 2008, 06:23 AM
Everyone seems to forget, that it's going to have improved wi-fi (which I never had a problem with in the first place...), so that should help with the online mode of PS0.

In how far is it supposed to get improved? And it's going to affect PS0?

Weeaboolits
Oct 2, 2008, 06:25 AM
You know, when I heard about the whole no GBA slot thing, I didn't give a damn about this thing, but seeing all the shiny new features...

Also, I'd assume its storage space will be rather sizable if it supports Virtual Console, at least enough to accommodate a fair sized N64 game. Assuming the price is reasonable, I'll be getting one at some point.

Oh, I missed the bit about an SD slot, I suppose it'll be holding plenty then.

Reno
Oct 2, 2008, 08:16 AM
As per the current DS model, DSi features one touch screen
Was just warming up to the idea of two :wacko:

Personally I think everything will depend on how well the SD slot is used by the actual games, and the quality of the download software... A lot of the other additions seem rather unnecessary to me, or can already be done with homebrew software

Also I really hope the d-pad has improved since the DS Lite, because right now it looks like it could be exactly the same (despite being a much bigger issue with the Lite than 'not having a camera' I would think)

Para
Oct 2, 2008, 08:21 AM
The camera is nice but no need for two.

Plus... lack of colours equals fail. Crimson Red / Black DS Lite ftw.

Solstis
Oct 2, 2008, 10:00 AM
As another person that didn't jump on the DS-Lite bandwagon, I'm pretty excited about this.

That and I don't really use my GBA card slot now. I don't think I'll really care if it was missing.

I wonder how the music playback is. My dream gadget (the gadget that I am unlikely to ever buy, but want anyway) is currently the iPod touch. This might change that.

pikachief
Oct 2, 2008, 12:07 PM
good thing they said this web browser is going to be better than the old one :)

i would much rather use a DS web browser over a PSP even if it is still slower >.>

also lolol we dont get it in US for months from now D:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/reggie-dsi-release-not-until-well-into-2009/

VanHalen
Oct 2, 2008, 12:36 PM
I'm liking some of this added stuff pretty tempted to buy one though only one thing is holding me back. I just bought a DS to replace my other with a faulty touchscreen D:

McLaughlin
Oct 2, 2008, 02:10 PM
Could this mean we can get DS game demos again?

Looks pretty neat. Might as well add it to my collection. I have the oldschool and the Lite. And my Lite has a dead pixel that bugs the hell out of me, so this will work as a replacement.

Kylie
Oct 2, 2008, 03:04 PM
Was expecting something like this. :-P Pretty sweeet.

Outrider
Oct 2, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hrm. DSi is to DS Lite as Game Boy Color is to Game Boy Pocket?

That's what it seems like to me. Personally, I would've loved to hear a few more updates and perhaps have some of the technology be a bit more impressive.

I mean, for instance - my cell phone (the one Verizon offers for free with a plan) has a higher resolution than the DSi camera.

Really, I had been hoping for a DS 2 more than a DS 1.5. I can live with it, I may even buy one once we learn more about it, but it's going to be a tough decision when it seems like a true DS sequel will be coming along a little further down the line. Of course I want to get it to make sure I can play any new DSi games that might come along, but I'll also be feeling like there was no purpose to buying 80% of the machine.

I still think it's nice, but I would have preferred it to be a different piece of technology or a new slimmer version of the previous system, instead of something somewhere in between.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 2, 2008, 05:45 PM
I mean, for instance - my cell phone (the one Verizon offers for free with a plan) has a higher resolution than the DSi camera.
Because camera phones are meant for that. :/

SuperChoco
Oct 2, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hrm. DSi is to DS Lite as Game Boy Color is to Game Boy Pocket?

Actually, I thought it would be DSi to DS lite as GBA micro is to GBA SP.(When the GBA jumped to micro, it lost compatibility to GB games, or so I heard)

This seems pretty cool. Hope they have a virtual console for game boy games(please give us gold/silver with compatibility to diamond/pearl).

The only bad thing about this is that there is no GBA slot. Really going to miss playing Super Mario Bros 3 and Final Fantasy V on the go...

AlexCraig
Oct 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
Idaknow. It's nice and all, but for me, I just want to play games on it. I don't need a camera or much of what this will offer.

Monochrome
Oct 2, 2008, 07:57 PM
Anybody else got an ever-swelling drawer full of abandoned Nintendo handheld-updates??

McLaughlin
Oct 2, 2008, 10:00 PM
GBC, GBA, GBA:SP, DS, DS Lite...

Yep.

Leviathan
Oct 2, 2008, 10:12 PM
Looks nice, will rake in some customers. It looks appealing to the Apple crowd, so I'm guessing that it will attract a lot of them.

But, I love my Phat DS. <3
I'd never give it up!

Sord
Oct 2, 2008, 10:46 PM
I would like my gaming system... to stay a gaming system. There's not a chance in hell I will be buying this over suped-up crap.

Kent
Oct 3, 2008, 12:00 AM
I do so hope that it doesn't draw snooty Mac people to embrace Nintendo as their faux status symbol. :/

Still, depending on the software that gets made available for it, I may pick one up when they launch in the US... Depending on how long my shoulder buttons manage to last.

Powder Keg
Oct 3, 2008, 12:34 AM
Totally not necessary at all, lol.

Kent
Oct 3, 2008, 12:45 AM
Totally not necessary at all, lol.
Just watch, they're going to do something crazy with it.

For instance... A new Pokémon Snap.

Except you use the camera on the system to look around the real world... And it superimposes Pokémon onto the image feed in real-time... And you can save pictures to an SD card to send them to your PC/Wii/Whatever.

...That would be awesome. :wacko:

Powder Keg
Oct 3, 2008, 01:01 AM
They'll find a way, and I'll have to explain to everyone that it's the same system. =_=

Nintendo has the habit of releasing the same system like 3 times, and it somehow works. (well, except with Gameboy Micro. :X)

Foxix
Oct 3, 2008, 01:22 AM
They'll find a way, and I'll have to explain to everyone that it's the same system. =_=

Nintendo has the habit of releasing the same system like 3 times, and it somehow works. (well, except with Gameboy Micro. :X)

Actually I just bought a GBA micro... at it's farking AWESOME :D, no seriously this thing is like my dream gameboy. Actually it's the only portable I actually take with me to places.

Anyway being the DS whore that I am, if this thing has language options I'm importing DAY 1

EDIT: No one seems to have noticed but, the DSi is actually launching in 2 colors matte white and matte black, YWAAYYYY no more finger prints! And considering that I have a white DS lite I'm totally importing the black one.

Cannot wait. ^_^

Sharkyland
Oct 3, 2008, 04:04 AM
From IGN:
- According to the spec sheet, even though the DSi won't play Game Boy Advance games due to the lack of GBA slot, it will play games written specifically for the DSi as well as current DS games. It is unclear whether there will be exclusive DSi packaging for games that are made only with the DSi and its unique functions in mind.

... I guess I have to buy one sometime in the future, but with the economy right now...

Monochrome
Oct 3, 2008, 05:01 AM
I am wondering how they will balance the transition from DS to DSi software-wise. You certainly don't want to slap 80 million consumers across the face!

Will they release games for the DSi and have some sort of "back-up" control scheme for us one-touch-screeners?

This does give them the option of time for a transition though, with the economy as it is? Brave 3rd parties are left to their own discretion as to how many "DSi ONLY" titles they produce, and the sales results will determine the output flow of more exclusive i games.

Powder Keg
Oct 3, 2008, 06:36 AM
I'll be pissed if there are DSi only games. That'd kinda be a kick in the gut to customers.

Toadthroat
Oct 3, 2008, 02:42 PM
The DSi is confirmed to have only ONE touch screen.

Vanzazikon
Oct 3, 2008, 02:53 PM
Damn, all the new hardware and equipment on this thing can make this product very expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if it came on sale at $299.99.

And after buying a DSLite, I thought THAT was expensive at $129.99.

Better start saving up money. :nono:

Kent
Oct 3, 2008, 03:12 PM
Damn, all the new hardware and equipment on this thing can make this product very expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if it came on sale at $299.99.

And after buying a DSLite, I thought THAT was expensive at $129.99.

Better start saving up money. :nono:
Pre-orders for it are going for Ľ18,900. That's approximately $179.71 USD, right there.

therealAERO
Oct 3, 2008, 03:15 PM
Don't forget kids, if you want to play Guitar Hero on DS make sure it is the DS Fat or DS lite lol. That is a huge slapped to the face for Activision HAH. Doesn't matter really we have like a year left until it is released in the US.

Vanzazikon
Oct 3, 2008, 03:26 PM
Pre-orders for it are going for Ľ18,900. That's approximately $179.71 USD, right there.I was gonna say wouldn't it be in Japanese but I forgot you could change the language in the DS. Do you think the DSi will have the same feature.

Leviathan
Oct 3, 2008, 05:14 PM
Don't forget kids, if you want to play Guitar Hero on DS make sure it is the DS Fat or DS lite lol. That is a huge slapped to the face for Activision HAH. Doesn't matter really we have like a year left until it is released in the US.

Good point.

DS Phat &Lite win.

Monochrome
Oct 3, 2008, 09:40 PM
The DSi is confirmed to have only ONE touch screen.

Dang, I wonder where the heck I read that it was both... oh well I stand corrected!

Kent
Oct 3, 2008, 09:43 PM
I was gonna say wouldn't it be in Japanese but I forgot you could change the language in the DS. Do you think the DSi will have the same feature.
Well, the system will probably support English, and not support region-locking, like all DSes and GameBoys have... However, since there's a downloadable software service for the DSi, it's entirely possible that if you imported one, it'll only be able to download japanese software for it, which may not be mandated to have other languages in them.

Leviathan
Oct 3, 2008, 09:54 PM
Might as well call it a iDS if Apple users pick-up on it...

SubstanceD
Oct 4, 2008, 05:33 AM
http://gonintendo.com/?p=57999

And I just got my DSL not too long ago. ;-;
Oh wow, after reading through this thing a bit more, rather than skimming it. This looks to be PRETTY FUCKIN ARESOME. Being able to download WiiWare like titles, SD card support (heres to hoping they hack it like they did the PSP), and other perks.

A weird thing though. The fact that its named the DSi. This only fuels rumors that Apple and Nintendo are talking about merging.

Fuck!:-x

I just traded in my DS for a DS lite a few months ago and now Nintendo introduces this.

It all sounds pretty good although I am really, really pissed that they removed the GBA slot. Then again, the GBA slot on the DS lite was barely even worth it since GBA carts never really went in all the way. It kind of destroyed that whole entire sleek look that Nintendo was going for with the DS lite in the first place to have this slightly chunky piece of plastic sticking out of your DS lite.

Considering that I just upgared to a DS Lite, I have no intention of getting of getting a DSi. Of course I say that now but I will probabaly cave in around about 2010, just in time for next DS upgrade.:-x

I hate what is happening to the games industry these days. You buy a game console and it's obsolete in a year because there is a new model available by then. You buy a new game but your missing out on half of the expeirence unless you download extra content from Online.:-x

Alastor_Haven
Oct 4, 2008, 05:37 AM
I'm still using my fat DS haha

But really

Some of the features seem to be useless :l

Fure_Rakune
Oct 4, 2008, 11:14 AM
Well I'll definitely be purchasing one of these as my DS had a very unfortunate accident, its hard to play it when the screens aren't attached.
All the lil bits are just more reason to save my pennies now.

foamcup
Oct 4, 2008, 01:20 PM
BAAAWWWWWW NO GBA SLOT-oh wait, I don't play any GBA games or DS games that require a GBA slot, guess I don't give a shit about that. Pokemon can transfer from the old GBA games, so if I ever use that feature ever again, I'll just dust off the damn DS Lite that I will still have sitting on the shelf after purchasing DSi. I'm hoping they upgrade the networking hardware in that thing, I demand 802.11g and at the very least WPA encryption. That download service might be region locked though, so I might have to wait to get one.

Lurkster
Oct 4, 2008, 02:38 PM
Not too excited but, if this thing is done like the PSP, I might buy it. The camera and web browser seem outlandish but I'm guessing Nintendo's main idea is to make this a kind of "lifestyle" device that you bring everywhere. I could care less about the GBA slot loss. I doubt Nintendo is laughing about all the Pokemon Platinum buyers-to-be and how they won't get to use Pal Park. They'll probably implement something.

Kesubei
Oct 4, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm cheap and don't feel like buying another (4th!) DS, an mp3 player, and a digital camera which I would only use casually anyway. The DSi might be perfect for me. I currently use my PSP as my portable audio player of choice, but the DSi clam shell would better suit my pockets - assuming the music will still play when the clam shell is closed (sleep mode).

I play plenty of GBA games, but I own a micro. The only thing I would be missing out on is the Band Brothers expansion pack and those cute GBA-DS features some developers like to implement. I never got into Guitar Hero DS.

Outrider
Oct 7, 2008, 11:56 AM
...and it turns out the system will be region-locked.

Because camera phones are meant for that. :/

My point being that camera phones being pretty much a dime a dozen nowadays, and thus, low resolution cameras being nigh-unfathomable in this day and age.

For the record - Comparing this to the GB Micro isn't quite right. The GB Micro had no extra features compared to the SP. The GB Color, on the other hand, had games specifically made for it that would not work on previous Game Boys, hence the reference.

But none of this matters - if they DID make a new Pokemon Snap, I would be the first in line (or at least as close to first as I could get.) Pokemon Snap is easily one of the most under-appreciated games from the 32/64 bit era.

Kent
Oct 7, 2008, 04:19 PM
...and it turns out the system will be region-locked.
...Only for DSi-specific software, that is. DS software is still region-free.

Wyndham
Oct 10, 2008, 01:56 PM
I don't understand why people hate the Gameboy micro. it's my favourite gameboy ever. I have the Famicom version, and I love it. it's tiny, horizontal, metal, replacable faceplates, and it's spifftaculastacious.
I'm not sure about getting the DSi, but the lack of GBA support doesnt bug me. at all.

SStrikerR
Oct 10, 2008, 03:09 PM
Ok well since my DS broke and my dad wouldn't let me use his that often, i'll get one of these. Although no GBA slot is lame. And yes, my dad has a DS. Weird as hell whenever I see him playing brain age.

Kent
Oct 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
I don't understand why people hate the Gameboy micro. it's my favourite gameboy ever. I have the Famicom version, and I love it. it's tiny, horizontal, metal, replacable faceplates, and it's spifftaculastacious.
I'm not sure about getting the DSi, but the lack of GBA support doesnt bug me. at all.
Probably because it's ridiculously small and brings nothing new to the table.

That, and it launched after the DS, which brings up the question... Why would I buy a GameBoy Micro when I can buy a DS, which can do everything the GameBoy Micro can, in addition to playing DS games?

Outrider
Oct 10, 2008, 03:35 PM
...Only for DSi-specific software, that is. DS software is still region-free.

Right, right. That's what I meant.

Personally, I think the Micro is a nice little piece of hardware. Keep in mind, nobody questioned why Sony put out the smaller Playstation or Playstation 2. (I understand the circumstances are definitely different, but they're similar to some extent.) My brother has a GB Micro and I like it quite a bit. For anybody who has to take the train or a bus a lot and isn't going to load up their pockets with a bulky DS (less of a point with the DS Lite), the GB Micro can be a welcome change if you're only planning on playing GBA games and you want to carry it around with you.

Kesubei
Oct 10, 2008, 04:30 PM
Personally, I think the Micro is a nice little piece of hardware. Keep in mind, nobody questioned why Sony put out the smaller Playstation or Playstation 2. (I understand the circumstances are definitely different, but they're similar to some extent.) My brother has a GB Micro and I like it quite a bit. For anybody who has to take the train or a bus a lot and isn't going to load up their pockets with a bulky DS (less of a point with the DS Lite), the GB Micro can be a welcome change if you're only planning on playing GBA games and you want to carry it around with you.

That's how I feel about the micro. It's so small, you can carry it in any pocket, purse, or pouch. It can fit in wallets, too!

After hearing more info on the DSi, I lost some interest in the product. It certainly would be nice as an audio player & game device (like my beloved PSP), especially with that clamshell. But, the region-locked aspect bothers me a little bit. More importantly, with all those software features and built-in flash memory, I think it's safe to say that firmware updates for the DSi are a given. Of course, Nintendo is free to do whatever they want to their console, but I don't want a portable device as restrictive to import gaming as the Wii (regarding DSi software).