PDA

View Full Version : Wii HD vs PS4 vs Xbox 720

Kadajenova
Oct 3, 2008, 10:25 AM
3 new consoles are expected to come out in 2010-2011

Wii HD --> keep gameplay of Wii but with much better graphics

PS4 --> keep graphic of ps3 but copy(?) wii gameplay

Xbox 720 --> no rumors yet

What do you guys think about them? Personally I think we will have 3 copy cat consoles :/ some catch up with pure power (wii), some will catch up with gameplay (ps4 ,xbox720).

Aisha379
Oct 3, 2008, 10:52 AM
If new consoles come out THAT soon I'm going to set my current ones on fire and throw them through the windows of their respective publishers.

People don't want to keep buying new consoles every few years for extremely minor graphical/gameplay updates. And if this is true then I'm going to be quite pissed off at the gaming industry for pulling that kind of crap.

Kadajenova
Oct 3, 2008, 11:03 AM
If new consoles come out THAT soon I'm going to set my current ones on fire and throw them through the windows of their respective publishers.

People don't want to keep buying new consoles every few years for extremely minor graphical/gameplay updates. And if this is true then I'm going to be quite pissed off at the gaming industry for pulling that kind of crap.

Well its not too soon like you said : N64 (1996), gamecube (2001), wii (2006)
New console every 5 year, so 2011 is a possible year.

Aisha379
Oct 3, 2008, 11:09 AM
But Sony was yapping a ton about a 10 year life span for the PS3.

I think if they barely cut that in half, a lot of people are going to be pissed. I mean, its more expensive than a 360 and has very few exclusives as is - people put money into a PS3 because of their promises for the future, if they go back on that I think the PS4 will do even worse in sales =S

amtalx
Oct 3, 2008, 11:15 AM
Why are you getting mad now? Generation cycles have been 5-6 years since the NES.

Anyway, I'm not done with this generation yet, and until I see something up and running in my house I don't really care. What happened to that sick PS3 with dual-HDMI output and 4 LAN ports? Yea, that sh*t didn't happen.

EDIT: Starting the next generation doesn't mean abandoning the old one. Sony continued to make PS1 games for about 10 years, but the PS2 still came out roughly 5 years after PS1's release. The same is happening with the PS3. Hell, the PS2 probably still makes more money for Sony than the PS3 does.

Aisha379
Oct 3, 2008, 11:17 AM
Why are you getting mad now? Generation cycles have been 5-6 years since the NES.

Because this is the only cycle where I was old enough to have to buy them all myself =X

amtalx
Oct 3, 2008, 11:19 AM
Because this is the only cycle where I was old enough to have to buy them all myself =X

Yea, now I see why my parents thought I was crazy when I wanted a new system.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Oct 3, 2008, 11:25 AM
Xbox Squared is going to be a circle shape.

Kadajenova
Oct 3, 2008, 11:39 AM
Well aisha, dont you want to see and play 10+ new consoles generation before you die? Consoles follow the moore law too since they have processors, GPU ect...

Aisha379
Oct 3, 2008, 11:43 AM
Heck, I'll stick with this console generation until I die if they keep continuously making good games for them.

(Or until we get Star Trek-like Holodecks...)

thematesV2
Oct 3, 2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Aisha379

why would people be upset, they already have to buy a new version of their system every year or two.... I mean XBOX has put out like 3 main variations of it's system, some people upgrade at least once.... PS3 has put out 2 or 3 variations mainly touting bigger harddrives, but people already buy systems more often.....

now, I want to see when all the systems break through the mechanical biological wall, and we begin plugging our bodies into the game systems. thats when I'll be buying new.

(and the update from the wii's graphics to the Unreal Engine 2's graphics will NOT be a "minor" graphics change....)

Aisha379
Oct 3, 2008, 02:00 PM
why would people be upset, they already have to buy a new version of their system every year or two.... I mean XBOX has put out like 3 main variations of it's system, some people upgrade at least once.... PS3 has put out 2 or 3 variations mainly touting bigger harddrives, but people already buy systems more often.....

Who is seriously stupid enough to trade in their current system + money for a bigger hard drive? I have a 20 gig PS3 and its nowhere close to being filled up.

And how can you not see people getting pissed off if, supposedly, a PS4 comes out in a few years, likely at a high price like the PS3 was, and then Sony stops supporting the PS3, after toting a "10 year life span" before it was released (which was a major factor to the people who bought one)?

Not to say Sony WILL stop supporting the PS3 if a PS4 comes out, but its quite likely. The PS2 still gets some games, but it doesn't take a genius to really see thats a dying market now (in terms of new content, that is.)

(and the update from the wii's graphics to the Unreal Engine 2's graphics will NOT be a "minor" graphics change....)

I was more so talking about Sony and Microsoft than Nintendo, but even then, graphic changes do little good if you can't get the games to back them up - especially when its the same graphics the competition has been/will use.

thematesV2
Oct 3, 2008, 02:15 PM
true, about wii, they need to get some more decent games in.. but when you speak of the buyers getting pissed off, I think you and I have a different image of what that means.. I think that I assume "getting pissed off" means they actually do something about it.. i.e. stop buying. I hear a ton of people getting pissed off (me being one of them) about video games these days, what with rollbacks, and cancellations... and yet they still go out and buy the brand new games, they still own one of each system..

I know quite a few people (stupid or not) who buy new systems, because Microsoft is a master at selling crap.

Kent
Oct 3, 2008, 03:08 PM
Well, it's just plain stupid to assume that the PS3's lifespan will match that of the PS2, which is still going. Part of the reason it's lasting so long, is the fact that it got so much momentum from the start, which really isn't the case with the PS3.

Now for whatever Nintendo has planned for their next console... It's safe to assume that it'll be backwards-compatible with the Wii, the GameCube, and you'll be able to transfer over your Virtual Console puchases easily (possibly via SD card). However, what we'll probably end up seeing from Nintendo, is something that takes the Wii's motion control, and expands on it - which is hard to predict at the moment. I'm rooting for new PowerGloves, though. :wacko:

Being that the 360 is really the system to have this generation, we're likely to see something along the lines of all of the momentum that the PS2 had, when it held this crown. The system will probably have a longer lifespan than the previous Xbox did... And as for what Microsoft has in store next, it'll probably be more powerful, have a bigger hard drive (and ability to transfer over Xbox Live Arcade games, for sure, being that everything will still be on a single, unified account)... And we might even see it use something other than a DVD format. It might be Blu-Ray, but something tells me that may be unlikely. In fact, it may even support digital distribution as a main method of getting games - though, to count out the retail outlet entirely is a bad move, at least until something like FiOS becomes mainstream and ubiquitous. For the controller, they have the "classic" style controller nailed perfectly this generation - I can think of a couple things they might do. For example, they may replace the analog sticks with Zune-style squircles (the're essentially mini-touchpads that double as both an analog/gesture-based input, as well as a D-pad: I suggest they go with the name "Z-Pad"), and possibly have the ChatPad-like keyboard build into the controller... Or even a slide-out thing like some cellphones have nowadays. Ease of access and communication with Xbox Live are pretty high priorities for Microsoft.

thematesV2
Oct 3, 2008, 04:13 PM
agreed. and I'll follow you if you plan on leading a powerglove revival.

I feel like although microsoft did a good job marketing the 360, it's in a tight spot. it still has ghosts of the red ring o death floating around it. the system has cost microsoft millions of dollars, as it fails quite commonly. even the newest variation, the elite has been having hardware failures, and this is 3 years into it's release.

Sexy_Raine
Oct 3, 2008, 06:23 PM
It was 6 years between PS2 and PS3. The whole 5 years tradition between consoles is BS as companies don't have to make a next-gen system in 2010-2011 if they don't feel like it. However due do the console rivalry, the next-gen console might come out in a few years. If the Big 3 really wanted to, they could decide to wait until 2013 until the next system. So whoever makes the first move in releasing their new console, the other companies will react to it within a year to prevent themselves from being "outdated".

With the way the big 3 going now, I say Nintendo could keep going with the Wii until 2015. Why replace something when their current the system is already making a lot of money?

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2008, 06:49 PM
I question the idea that there will be a PS4, at all. The PS3 has been quite the losing investment, as of late, and frankly I'm amazed that they've continued supporting it this long. The knowledge that Ken Kutaragi was canned within days of talking to the media about wanting to create a PlayStation 4 rather enforces the notion that Sony is disinclined to go through all of this, again.

Sharkyland
Oct 3, 2008, 09:08 PM
I'll buy the systems when the prices goes way down (I could just see the PS4 $750), and I'll have to see what games come out for it. Yeah, with the economy going on right now, the developers need it think first before they put stuff into the market.

I'm not really into graphics (I was raised with NES graphics so I'm used to it), loading time needs to be fixed, and gameplay really needs to be fixed.

Zantra
Oct 4, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'll end up buying all of them, i'm a console whore.

I own everything... damn lack of self control.

Toadthroat
Oct 4, 2008, 01:21 AM
I question the idea that there will be a PS4, at all. The PS3 has been quite the losing investment, as of late, and frankly I'm amazed that they've continued supporting it this long. The knowledge that Ken Kutaragi was canned within days of talking to the media about wanting to create a PlayStation 4 rather enforces the notion that Sony is disinclined to go through all of this, again.

They'll be a PS4. Just because the PS3 didn't manage to live up to the amazing success of the PSX and PS2 doesn't make it a failure. Its been selling pretty well, though I suspect not well enough to make a profit.
But they'll be a PS4. They're already working on it, so the rumors say.
Sony is in this for the long haul.

SubstanceD
Oct 4, 2008, 06:02 AM
Well, if Nintendo keeps doing what it is doing now then they won't be getting my money next time around. I haven't touched my Wii since the week Mario Galaxy was released and I have no intention of ever going near it again. I really, really don't like this console at all: the controller or most of the games ( Mario Galaxy, Zelda and Paper Mario are great but I much rather play games on a more traditional console. I will always go to my PS2, my PS3, my 360 or my Gamecube before I will even spare my Wii a single thought ). I can't believe 18 years of loyalty to Nintendo is going to end just like that. Well unless Nintendo start making games that I want to play it looks like this is the end of our relationship.

As for the idea of a succesor to the 360 and the PS3. I don't want to see either untill 2012 ( especially with all sony's bragging about the PS3 being designed for a 10 year life span ). When they finally do come out however, I wouldn't be surpried if both consoles where more geared towards this new casual market. as it satands I'm not looking forwatrd to the next gen consoles at all.

Alastor_Haven
Oct 4, 2008, 06:12 AM
I find it too soon haha

SubstanceD
Oct 4, 2008, 06:24 AM
They'll be a PS4. Just because the PS3 didn't manage to live up to the amazing success of the PSX and PS2 doesn't make it a failure. Its been selling pretty well, though I suspect not well enough to make a profit.
But they'll be a PS4. They're already working on it, so the rumors say.
Sony is in this for the long haul.

I agree.

Just because the 360 is thrashing the PS3 in sales in the US does not mean the PS3 is a failure. The PS3 is actually selling quite well in Japan and in Europe in general ( 360 sales are higher in the UK and Ireland, but only just ) but everywhere else in Europe the PS3 is outselling the 360 by a signifficant margin ( or at least it was before the recent 360 price cuts which I hear has done great business for Microsoft ). Either way, the PS3 is doing alot better than alot of people give it for and the console battle between Sony and Microsoft is alot closer than you may relise, not that it matters since Nintendo has won that war soo long ago it isn't even funny.

amtalx
Oct 4, 2008, 08:25 AM
With the recent price cuts, and the releases of Infinite Undiscovery and the new Tales game, the 360 is outselling the PS3 in Japan. Then even came close to outselling the Wii last week. I laughed.

Darkly
Oct 4, 2008, 11:40 AM
i want less consoles and more games, im sure the reason they bring out new consoles is because of saturation as well as lots of other reasons.

Resi evil 4 was a beautiful game, and came out when the gc was almost dead, at the end of its lifespan. Its always the same, the best games come out towards the end of a consoles life so im never hurried to buy a new console for a year or so anyway

Thinking about all this though, each generation has has a fairly big jump in terms of technology behind it which inspires new and better games, yet i cant think of much they could improve on in 3 years time to warrant a new console entirely.

Add to that all the speculation of another fall in gaming with consoles being released too quickly and i just dont want a new console to come out in 3 years time.

Sexy_Raine
Oct 4, 2008, 10:54 PM
Yes, 360 outsold PS3 for Sept. 08' in JP, but that's all going to change once White Knight Story releases in JP on 12/25. Also Sony still has a lot of things yet to be revealed until TGS. I truly doubt they'll give up on their system that soon. No one want to pay $1000 for a damn PS4,
LMAO.

Zarode
Oct 4, 2008, 11:24 PM
PS3 actually still has a long life, if things go to plan at this rate.

About 10 more years of life left, to be exact, in firmware updates and such.

Kent
Oct 4, 2008, 11:51 PM
PS3 actually still has a long life, if things go to plan at this rate.

About 10 more years of life left, to be exact, in firmware updates and such.
Right. We've seen how well things have gone according to their plan thus far.

I'm guessing we'll have giant enemy lobsters before the PS4 comes out. :wacko:

Zarode
Oct 5, 2008, 12:06 AM
Right. We've seen how well things have gone according to their plan thus far.

I'm guessing we'll have giant enemy lobsters before the PS4 comes out. :wacko:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the hardware failure I keep hearing. Speak up, sonny! What's them about them thar achievements! :wacko:

Kylie
Oct 5, 2008, 12:07 AM
I'll likely stick with Sony again. I'll wait to see if there are RROD or other similar defects with the 720, and Nintendo consoles haven't interested me since the N64. But it's way too early to talk about this, and I hate that we are. :lol: Not your fault, but the companies seem to be rushing to me.