PDA

View Full Version : Which PS3 should I get?

SStrikerR
Oct 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
I don't know too much about it, so I don't know which one that fits my need.

I need to be able to play ps2 games online, such as PSU until it dies.

That's all I can think of right now, but is there anything else I should know about the different ones?

Rayokarna
Oct 10, 2008, 03:33 PM
I don't know too much about it, so I don't know which one that fits my need.

I need to be able to play ps2 games online, such as PSU until it dies.

That's all I can think of right now, but is there anything else I should know about the different ones?

Unluckly for you, no PS3s that are mainstream now canplay PS2 games. So I would hold your money until Sony has them out again.

Kent
Oct 10, 2008, 03:36 PM
Need to be able to play PS2 games?

Act quick or consult eBay - the latest models of the system don't support PS2 games at all. The last one made that did, was the 80GB MGS4 bundle (not to be confused with the standalone 80GB PS3, which does not support PS2 games at all).

The original models, the 20GB and 60GB, support PS2 games through hardware - any others that do support PS2 games do so via software emulation (which, in my experience, doesn't really make a difference here). I've still seen some of the MGS4 bundles in stores, however, so you might want to go for that one.

Kesubei
Oct 10, 2008, 04:20 PM
If you really want to go out of your way to play PS2 games on PS3, use internet auction sites or even some online import shops to get the backwards-compatible PS3s.

I suggest getting a used or new PS2 (slim). If you really want a PS3 because of its own merits, then get it. But if your most important criteria is the ability to play PSU online, then buy a PS2 and hold off on the PS3.

McLaughlin
Oct 10, 2008, 05:10 PM
Why do you want a PS3? If you're only going to use it to play PS2 games, good luck finding one that can. Only the 80gb PS3 (I'm pretty sure they all work :/), and the original 20gb and 60gb models support backwards compatibility. If you're in Europe, then good luck (again), because from what I remember, even the compatible models had backwards compatibility issues with PAL games.

If your main motivation for buying it is PS2 games, buy a PS2 Slim and save yourself five hundred bucks.

Kylie
Oct 10, 2008, 05:32 PM
My PS3 is an 80 GB model, and it plays PSU and every PS1 or PS2 game I've tried on it just fine. It's not a new one though, and I guess maybe it's through emulation like Kent mentioned. I admit that I don't know a lot about it though. :clown: eBay or another online store like that would be your best bet, yes.

Aisha379
Oct 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
If you plan to download a ton of crap = 80 gig version

If not, get the 20 gig.

I bought a 20 gig on eBay for about $300~$350 (forgot exactly) that was in near-excellent condtion, and came with two wireless controllers, Resistance, and the 300 Blu Ray disc.

And not all PS3 games require an install on the HD (infact, the only game I have that did that was MGS4), so I still have a ton of room even after installing MGS4 and getting a ton of demos and stuff.

Even then, it'd still probably be cheaper to buy a 20 gig one and just buy a seperate hard drive to install over buying the 80 gig version.

However, one important thing most people forgot, is (correct me if I'm wrong here), the 80 gig version has built in wifi, and the 20 gig does not. If you're going to use an Ethernet cord (which I recommend because I've heard the wireless connections are iffy) then this does not matter.

Kent
Oct 11, 2008, 12:49 AM
The 80GB, the one bundled with MGS4 at least, does have built-in Wi-Fi, which is a nice little plus.

Blitzkommando
Oct 11, 2008, 01:53 AM
The problem is that there was more than one 80GB model from what I recall. We ordered ours through Sony before they offered it through retail and it plays most of my PS1/PS2 games but some (like Final Fantasy Anthology) don't work so well, though firmware updates may correct them. I'm not sure how the network works with PS2 games though, if it even works at all, as I don't have any online PS2 games. It certainly makes a nice Blu-Ray player and multimedia center, the tasks which ours use most by far.

Zarode
Oct 11, 2008, 02:01 AM
If you want to play PSU and such, go for the Emulation models. The 60gig is nice, but you will want that extra speed for PSU.

Zantra
Oct 11, 2008, 02:19 PM
Supposedly (I don't have an HDTV or an HDMI cord), the 80gb PS3 with PS2/PS software Emulation upscales old games, and makes the look better. I don't know if this is true, but it sure does make games run smoother, and it cuts down on load times.

SStrikerR
Oct 12, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well the 80gb I found in best buy didn't support ps2 software, and I've already got a slim? Who the hell would be stupid enough to buy a ps3 just for ps2 games? Think, people.

@Zantra: I think I may have to read a bit more about that, because it sounds like the best option.

Kent
Oct 13, 2008, 03:00 AM
Well the 80gb I found in best buy didn't support ps2 software, and I've already got a slim? Who the hell would be stupid enough to buy a ps3 just for ps2 games? Think, people.
People who want a Blu-ray player, too, I guess.

That and, to my knowledge, it's approximately as viable of a media center as an Xbox 360.

But yes, the only version with an 80GB HDD that supports PS2 games is the one bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4. Standalone ones don't support PS2 software at all, and the bundled one is the last one produced that does support PS2 software.

SStrikerR
Oct 13, 2008, 01:20 PM
>_> So I guess I'm hunting that bundle now then, and then once I get it I trade in the game. Sounds fantastic!

McLaughlin
Oct 13, 2008, 03:08 PM
If you have a Slim why are you looking for one that supports PS2 games?

Aisha379
Oct 13, 2008, 03:15 PM
If you have a Slim why are you looking for one that supports PS2 games?

More importantly, why buy a PS3 at all and then trade in MGS4?!

SStrikerR
Oct 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
Obsidian- Because I don't want to use 2 systems when I could just use one, I have 3 consoles I actively use and 1 other, and only 2 TVS to use. And once I get the ps3, I'll trade in the slim for a game or 2 so I don't have to buy it.

Aisha- Because I would never get an Xbox. Ever. And MGS4 didn't sound appealing to me at all, so when I trade that and my slim in I'll already have about 3 games that I actually, you know, might want to play.

amtalx
Oct 13, 2008, 06:15 PM
Aisha- Because I would never get an Xbox. Ever. And MGS4 didn't sound appealing to me at all, so when I trade that and my slim in I'll already have about 3 games that I actually, you know, might want to play.

If any of them are cross-platform I'm going to scream. :wacko:

Kylie
Oct 13, 2008, 06:53 PM
If any of them are cross-platform I'm going to scream. :wacko:
Don't you have a broken 360 to call in? :lol: I don't think it's so wrong to trade in the copy of MGS4. I probably would if I didn't have people to play it with to make its manliness more tolerable. :wacko:

amtalx
Oct 13, 2008, 09:05 PM
Hey now, 5th 360's the charm, and I got an extra $80 out of it because of the price drop.

Kent
Oct 13, 2008, 09:53 PM

You're free to trade it in, but I will say that it's pretty much the best exclusive the system has at the moment. I'm fairly certain that most game trade-in places (i.e. GameStop) don't add value to games if they're in the original packaging, so at least try it before you trade it back in. :wacko:

...Not to mention, that it might be one of those games marked as "Not for Resale," being that it's a pack-in.

SStrikerR
Oct 14, 2008, 06:58 AM
Then I'll sell it to a friend...or on ebay, heck, I don't know but I don't want it. But anyway yeah, most of the game I want are cross-platformed. But hey, the only game I'd like that I'm gonna miss out on is halo 3, but I play it with friends so eh, I don't need it.