PDA

View Full Version : PSZ Expansions?

Aeternus
Oct 12, 2008, 08:02 PM
I know i'm jumping the gun as the game isn't even out yet, but one of the things i'm concerned about is the longevity of PSZ. In the past this has been remedied by expansion packs, but with PSZ the possibility would seem slim. There is no way to save your data outside the cart itself, so having an expansion would mean it would be impossible to transfer character data. Anybody have any ideas? I guess i'm hoping too much for this game, but damn, sega has already outdid themselves with what they had to work with on the DS, I would hate for PSZ to be the end of the DS entry to the series.

TheOneHero
Oct 12, 2008, 08:05 PM
Maybe something involving the GBA slot, but with the advent of DSi it seems...iffy.

Gemel
Oct 12, 2008, 08:05 PM
Back when there was only a thread for PSZ someone mentioned that there was a japanese musical game (I think) that used the GBA slot for an expansion.
They might be able to do this but they might not. I think they showcased this game for the DSi which has no GBA slot.

Niered
Oct 12, 2008, 08:06 PM
Not a chance.

If anything, you MIGHT see something like a V2 on the DC, but V2 was createde for the sole purpose of fixing some glitches, not necessarily adding content.

And like you said, their really isnt much of a way to transfer characters, so im gonna go ahead and say this is a borderline imposssibility.

TheOneHero
Oct 12, 2008, 08:07 PM
Gemel, there is a musical game that uses the GBA as an expansion. Actually, one of my friends is a huge fan of it. (The name of the game escapes me though. =/ )

Aeternus
Oct 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
nintendo made a big mistake by omitting the GBA slot IMO. SD slot would be a possiblity on the DSi but with the majority of the user base using the DS Phat / Lite, it wouldn't make much sense. Too bad you can't upload character data onto sega/nintendo server and then retrieve it.

jmanx
Oct 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
I would say use of Dsi sandisk for data but oh no I smell hax all over it.

Saphion
Oct 12, 2008, 08:36 PM
If it sells well (which it will), they're bound to try and milk it some more. I'd genuinely like to see how they'd handle an expansion of sorts.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 12, 2008, 08:38 PM
Mmmm more PSZ.

Game isn't out yet! XD GIB Christmas NAO!

But yeah, I wonder how that will be handled, Wii extras can be possible too!

jmanx
Oct 12, 2008, 08:48 PM
Making me wait so long

Risingsun
Oct 12, 2008, 09:29 PM
You could download expansions from the DSi ware store and play the levels off of an SD Card. Or save your data to an SD card. The DSi SD card slot and the DS download store do offer new opportunities for games on the platform.

jmanx
Oct 12, 2008, 09:30 PM
Ah DOH y didn't I think of that XD

Tigernado
Oct 12, 2008, 10:34 PM
DS games that aren't downloaded from DSiWare wont be able to use DSi features, so they won't be able to expand it that way.

Oh, and the game you were talking about that uses a GBA cart to expand is called Jam with the Band here. I forget what the Japanese name is though.

Maybe a sequel? Phantasy Star One lol?

Risingsun
Oct 12, 2008, 11:09 PM
DS games that aren't downloaded from DSiWare wont be able to use DSi features, so they won't be able to expand it that way.

Oh, and the game you were talking about that uses a GBA cart to expand is called Jam with the Band here. I forget what the Japanese name is though.

Maybe a sequel? Phantasy Star One lol?
Im not sure if that is necessarily true. There will also be a few retail DSi games that could leave in hooks for DLC. It is true that this wont be the case for your average DS game. But the possibilities do exist for expanded content for some games.

Tigernado
Oct 12, 2008, 11:19 PM
Im not sure if that is necessarily true. There will also be a few retail DSi games that could leave in hooks for DLC. It is true that this wont be the case for your average DS game. But the possibilities do exist for expanded content for some games.

From all the sources I've seen there will be no retail DSi software. And the reason was because they want everyone to be able to play retail DS games. That could change in the future, But I haven't seen one report saying that.

Risingsun
Oct 12, 2008, 11:22 PM
From all the sources I've seen there will be no retail DSi software. And the reason was because they want everyone to be able to play retail DS games. That could change in the future, But I haven't seen one report saying that.

Nintendo confirms DSi software will be region locked

Nintendo has told Future Publishing that the DSi Software is region locked and this relates to both downloadable games as well as future DSi only cartridge based games. However original DS software is region free and will be playable on any region DSi.

Tigernado
Oct 12, 2008, 11:43 PM
Nintendo confirms DSi software will be region locked

Nintendo has told Future Publishing that the DSi Software is region locked and this relates to both downloadable games as well as future DSi only cartridge based games. However original DS software is region free and will be playable on any region DSi.

EDIT: I remain skeptical that they'll be retail DSi games. I really don't think Nintendo wants to split its market like that.

Shiroyu
Oct 13, 2008, 12:46 AM
The music game you guys are thinking about is called Daigasso! Band Brothers. The sequel doesn't use a GBA expansion though, since it has DLC. (I heart DBB and DBBDX to death)

Anyway, I get the impression that even though they're essentially making the DSi to replace the DS, they aren't going to ignore those games that use the GBA slot -- namely, Guitar Hero. While this severely limits the amount of people that play it, as in if you have a Lite and GH, you might not want to buy a DSi, and if you have DSi and want to play GH, you'll find out that you can't. I honestly don't think that a GBA expansion cart is out of the question, but if they do make it, there's a rather large chance that not many people would buy it.

Kent
Oct 13, 2008, 02:26 AM
It's entirely possible that an expansion or extra downloadable content could be available for PSZ, and the DSi hardware only makes this even more possible, since it has both internal memory, as well as SD card support. If they want to support all versions of the hardware, they can also make available a standalone GBA cartridge version... And/or take advantage of the fact that the DS cases have GBA cartridge holders in them, and make a full-fledged pack-in deal.

funnymatt
Oct 13, 2008, 02:32 AM
Not a chance.

If anything, you MIGHT see something like a V2 on the DC, but V2 was createde for the sole purpose of fixing some glitches, not necessarily adding content.

And like you said, their really isnt much of a way to transfer characters, so im gonna go ahead and say this is a borderline imposssibility.

V2 added a ton of content to the Dreamcast, most notably Ultimate mode (with the new maps, bosses, lobbies, etc.), the soccer lobbies, and raised the level cap from 100 to 200. It was also when they started having a lot of special online missions. It really changed the game significantly. That being said, Sega has come up with very creative solutions in the past for making use of old cartridges in a new way- I think it was Sonic 4 that let you plug in Sonic 2 and 3 and play new areas on those games. They could do a similar piggyback cartridge, or even just make use of the SD slot on the DSi (forcing you to upgrade if you want to transfer your character- probably making Nintendo happy in the process). Or, they could even just create an online method of doing so. All of these are nothing more than rampant speculation, seeing as the game isn't even out yet.

Segya
Oct 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
My guess?
They'll make a PS0 episode 1+2 for the DSi that somehow incorperates it's social online features (so strangers can chat) + sd card slot for updates, and seperate the players depending on their regional version.
Then sd card hacks come along and screw them over.

Seority
Oct 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
If it sells well (which it will), they're bound to try and milk it some more. I'd genuinely like to see how they'd handle an expansion of sorts.

I hope they don't!
I agree that they should of extentions to PSZ cuz I would love it also, but no milking please. Taking time to make a new expantion = good. Quickly throwing together old things and slapping a new name on it then selling it = bad.
Milking is kinda what happened to PSU:AOI. They looked at the complaints of people and thought they would make "the big bucks" and tried to please everyone. As we all know, this completely killed any kind of challenge in the game, hence why many left.
Anywho, milking has killed many game titles such as many Sonic games and any kind of Mario any Nintendo licened game.

All in all, an expantion would be great, and I trust them to not make a PSU:AOI boo boo and continue things on like they have with PSO.

Rakath Talyn
Oct 13, 2008, 12:37 PM
I can see a few ways of making a sequal work:

1. Using DSi's SD card to add levels to play through, or as a means to Transfer a character.
2. Using DS Wireless (or DS to Wii Wireless) to transfer character from PSZ to a PSZ Eps/sequal.

Both rely on the PSZero cart being designed to delete the character after transfer, to limit hax duping.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
I can see a few ways of making a sequal work:

1. Using DSi's SD card to add levels to play through, or as a means to Transfer a character.
2. Using DS Wireless (or DS to Wii Wireless) to transfer character from PSZ to a PSZ Eps/sequal.

Both rely on the PSZero cart being designed to delete the character after transfer, to limit hax duping.
Or just include in the Sequel's box, a memory card for the GBA slot, You send your character/items from the First PS0 and then from the GBA to the Expansion.

I mean poke'mon sort of did that, With sending your old pokemon from GBA games to your Diamond/Pearl.

Edit: btw, you took my Avatar >.>

Vanzazikon
Oct 13, 2008, 02:46 PM
Or just include in the Sequel's box, a memory card for the GBA slot, You send your character/items from the First PS0 and then from the GBA to the Expansion.

I mean poke'mon sort of did that, With sending your old pokemon from GBA games to your Diamond/Pearl.

Edit: btw, you took my Avatar >.>Now that would be good.

<_<>_> twins?

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 02:50 PM
Now that would be good.

<_<>_> twins?
Yeah it would, but why are we worrying about a sequel, or an expansion, when the first one isn't even out yet lol.

Rakath Talyn
Oct 13, 2008, 06:26 PM
The thing about the GBA port idea is that its counter-intuitive to the DSi release. I went for something that all DS are equally capable of (and require 2 DS meaning you either need 2 DS or a friend). I was thinking Pokemon when I brought it up.

We shouldn't worry about a sequal now. But Sega should be.

Saphion
Oct 13, 2008, 06:34 PM
I'm sure they'll think of something. I mean, the original PSO was ahead of it's time as it is.

MrPOW
Oct 13, 2008, 08:44 PM
Hmmm...they could possibly offer a service where you upload your character data to a server, then redownload it into the expansion. However, I guess this option would depend on them already having the upload feature built into PSZ, which is unlikely unless they really are thinking ahead.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 08:45 PM
The thing about the GBA port idea is that its counter-intuitive to the DSi release. I went for something that all DS are equally capable of (and require 2 DS meaning you either need 2 DS or a friend). I was thinking Pokemon when I brought it up.

We shouldn't worry about a sequal now. But Sega should be.
That is true, then they should probably through in an option in the PSŲ coming out now, where you can save to GBA/SD card, where you have the option to choose were to save. So if there is an expansion either DS users or DSi users can use it.

Edit:

Hmmm...they could possibly offer a service where you upload your character data to a server, then redownload it into the expansion. However, I guess this option would depend on them already having the upload feature built into PSZ, which is unlikely unless they really are thinking ahead.

Yeah I was just thinking that, They need that option in there now, which isn't likely happening, so i see an expansion or a sequel, however you'd need to restart your character. Or they can try to use the DS download feature or something from the 2nd one, and once you download it from them it saves the data somewhere like the server or GBA/SD card. But then that would require you to own two DS. (Which gladly I do!)

Tigernado
Oct 20, 2008, 10:31 PM
Dunaway: 'No Plans' For DSi-Exclusive Retail Titles
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20518

SubstanceD
Oct 21, 2008, 02:21 PM
I sure I've gone off on a similar rant somewhere on this forum but I miss the days of plug and play gaming, I don't like games that offer a DLC or expansions every other month. I don't understand why we the consumer should have to wait months and months and months and/or pay extra money for content that should have been available on the disc from the start in the first place. We, the consumer is being ripped off.

Of course I do understand that things are different for Online games and that some form of additional content down the line ( new missions, new rares ) in order to keep gamers playing for hundreds and hundreds of hours. Still this is a DS game, realistically speaking I wouldn't expect much in the way of downloadble content ( that's not to say that there won't be some ). I wouldn't get my hopes up for downloadable content but at the same time it doesn't have to be the end of the world if there is none. If Sega get the game right the first time around then most of us will be happy with the content on the disc. And if they don't, well chances are there will probably be a sequel anyway if the game sells as well as PSP on the PSP.

Aeternus
Oct 21, 2008, 02:48 PM
well I agree with you on one point. I think sega did a major disservice when PSU was first released by holding back on the majority of the content that was ON the disk, not talking about any updates or downloadable content. The fact that a lot of the game was just simply locked out until they decided to unveil it was horrible and subsequently led me to quitting the game early on. When you are paying a monthly fee for a game like PSU and they wont reveal the content you paid for by actually purchasing the game, it's pretty ridiculous.

Kent
Oct 21, 2008, 04:00 PM
I sure I've gone off on a similar rant somewhere on this forum but I miss the days of plug and play gaming, I don't like games that offer a DLC or expansions every other month. I don't understand why we the consumer should have to wait months and months and months and/or pay extra money for content that should have been available on the disc from the start in the first place. We, the consumer is being ripped off.
It's quite simple, really.

When a game is released, people typically have access to all of the content on the disc(s). That is, they still may have to earn access to various things by doing certain accomplishments and such, but they still have access to it.

Now, what happens to interest in that game once people unlock everything that's on the disc? Interest dwindles, because the game suddenly lacks that "newness," since everything that there was to discover... Has been discovered. This is only one reason why additional content becomes added in later, however.

The other reason has to do with development and publishing schedules. Like most things, the games industry has everything on a tight schedule. The product has to get its features programmed, its assets created, bug-checked, printed to a disc, and shipped out the door in, usually, about two years (full development cycle for a console game, on average). Many developers nowadays will find that they can't fit the development of everything they have planned for the game into this timeframe, however - and saying you want to delay a game to put some more stuff in is an easy way to piss off your publisher and your producer. It's more or less the same as telling them "Geez, we didn't pick up enough slack. Can we have some more time to work on this?" Sometimes it works (for example, with Nintendo and Blizzard, since they believe making as good of a game as possible will be more profitable than releasing it as soon as possible), and sometimes it doesn't (e.g. Sega with PSU).

So, the end result is that additional content is released for the game after it hits the market. The price point is entirely not decided by the developers, either, it's mostly the publisher and/or the deliverance service (i.e. Steam, Xbox Live, etc.) that decides the price. However, additional content isn't always things that are "left over" from the original plan - they may be commissioned by the publisher to augment an exceedingly-popular game (and make a ton of money - songs for Rock Band and Guitar Hero games are a great example of this, despite that many of them probably wouldn't have fit on the disc in the first place, if they tried), or to help out a game that isn't doing so well, in order to garnish more interest.

PSU, of course, is a completely different beast, in and of itself. This monthly fee is for server maintenance and profit, as there's no actual new development going on, being that you're just getting time-released on-disc content... Which is more or less a slap in the face to the consumer (just like all of the 108KB junk data keys that Namco/Bandai releases for their games for several dollars each).