PDA

View Full Version : Is it true?

Seority
Oct 13, 2008, 03:22 AM
I've heard that the PSPortable gets online updates to the game to keep new things coming and etc.
If this is true, would the PSZ have something simular?

Saphion
Oct 13, 2008, 03:53 AM
I don't think the game would be able to store any new updates, to be honest. Not without having to download them each time you play, anyway. I could be wrong though, I know very little about the hardware and software involved.

I remember someone saying in another thread that PSO-style online quests are entirely possible, though.

Seority
Oct 13, 2008, 04:08 AM
Yeah. They say it does that for PSP because the PsP has memory stick for it, and I do know that the DS doesn't.
New content is nice ;>>
Guess that's when PSZero2 comes to play x3

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 13, 2008, 06:29 AM
Yeah I don't think this game will be server based, but hey! drawings will be my updates! :P

Niered
Oct 13, 2008, 09:25 AM
I dont really get what all the hubbub is with 'expansions' and 'updates'. PSO did just fine, and the only way it really got those was by buying an entirely new version of the game.

I think that all of the good news weve been getting has over inflated peoples view of the game. Dont get me wrong I think that PSZ could be the best thing the PS series has had happen to it in awhile, but id rather not see people be disappointed with it in the end because their expectation were too high.

Saphion
Oct 13, 2008, 09:30 AM
Mmm. As long as it has;

- A crapload of rares (check)
- online play (check)
- at least four levels (check)

I'll be happy. Online quests'd be nice too.

Aeternus
Oct 13, 2008, 09:38 AM
I dont really get what all the hubbub is with 'expansions' and 'updates'. PSO did just fine, and the only way it really got those was by buying an entirely new version of the game.

I think that all of the good news weve been getting has over inflated peoples view of the game. Dont get me wrong I think that PSZ could be the best thing the PS series has had happen to it in awhile, but id rather not see people be disappointed with it in the end because their expectation were too high.

well that's a good point. Based on what is currently confirmed for the game, it will be hard for me to be disappointing. At least not like I was with PSU, which I had high expectations and tried really hard to like but just didn't happen. Already just from the videos I can see this is going to be one fun kickass game.

Seority
Oct 13, 2008, 10:06 AM
I don't really need the updates either to be happy with it. It's just kinda like, once you've seen everything, you've seen everything, kinda deal.
I'm guessing it's going to be like PSO in the aspect of Normal, Hard, Very Hard, and Ultimate, which would rockzor!
And if the story mission can hold out to be something longer then 30 mins of play time to complete, this game may entertain me for a bit. ^^
I understand your view Niered. I looked at the PSPortable and was amazed. A better PSU, on the go?! Amazing, until we found out about PSZ. I'm still impressed with PSP and my pick it up if I have extra monies, but I'm definetly going to pre-order the English PSZ asap!
I kinda wish we had the PSZ now due to the lameness of our updates on the Global PSU servers. I wouldn't mind using my psu moneys to buy PSZ while Segac takes their sweet time with the updates.
I guess this is kind of a lame excuse seeing how badly PSU is going right now, but if my wish does come true (and Segac shapens up) I'll PSZ when I'm not at home and PSU when I am. If I was going to get the PSP I would drop PSU and play PSO at home and PSP outdoors, kinda thing~ If I had the time and money, I'd just play them all! ^_^

Shiroyu
Oct 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah, while updates for DS (Note the lack of the "i") games is really out of the question, that doesn't mean that there can't be DLC. Daigasso! Band Brothers DX, IIRC, is the first game that uses DLC for the DS, and it does it quite well. As of right now, there are 2,650 user-created songs that people can download. (There unfortunately is a download cap of 100 songs, but still)

Quests shouldn't really be that large in size, basically just telling the game what to say, what maps to go on, what enemies are on those maps, and what special weapons the quest can give -- and even then, with special weapons, they would already be programmed into the game (The "unlock" method seen in games like Professor Layton). Then again, if it is a type of weapon that is "downloaded", then perhaps if you play with other people that don't have the weapon "downloaded", your DS sends the information of the weapon to the other DSs temporarily?

Saphion
Oct 13, 2008, 11:33 AM
As I recall in PSO, online quests downloaded temporarily and had to be re-downloaded each time the mission was selected.

I remember a similar thing happening in a few DS games, where you can download new levels etc. but you have to re-download them each time the game is played.

Picross DS even lets you permanently download levels to your cart.

Vanzazikon
Oct 13, 2008, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't really care if PSZ doesn't get online updates. And as Niered said, yes too many people are setting the expection of the game a little too high. Please do not disappoint yourself... As for me, I'm just going to play whatever is offered and what was offered is pretty good.

Seority
Oct 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, while updates for DS (Note the lack of the "i") games is really out of the question, that doesn't mean that there can't be DLC. Daigasso! Band Brothers DX, IIRC, is the first game that uses DLC for the DS, and it does it quite well. As of right now, there are 2,650 user-created songs that people can download. (There unfortunately is a download cap of 100 songs, but still)

Quests shouldn't really be that large in size, basically just telling the game what to say, what maps to go on, what enemies are on those maps, and what special weapons the quest can give -- and even then, with special weapons, they would already be programmed into the game (The "unlock" method seen in games like Professor Layton). Then again, if it is a type of weapon that is "downloaded", then perhaps if you play with other people that don't have the weapon "downloaded", your DS sends the information of the weapon to the other DSs temporarily?

That acctually seems quite plossible.
Even though it is kinda annoying to have to wait a min longer for something to load for DL but new things should make things better, not that they need to be at all.
Another kewl thing is that nothing could slow down DLing in a DS besides the wi-fi connection. While on PSO/PSU it's about hardware and what ever else you're running in the background, and also just bad programing, but since PSO seems load up with anyone just fine, PSZ extentions should be just as satisfing ^^

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 12:55 PM
Mmm. As long as it has;

- A crapload of rares (check)
- online play (check)
- at least four levels (check)

I'll be happy. Online quests'd be nice too.
I'm with you on that. I like the rare item chasing, the part of PvE i like it, and ofcourse lots of bosses.

jmanx
Oct 14, 2008, 12:04 AM
Yea PSU is very disappointing. Expansion would be a plus for me, I mean ummm yea wat cast man said.

Niered
Oct 14, 2008, 12:15 AM

This is apples and oranges though. A music clip in a game specifically built for the creation and sharing of music isnt going to be that big, they will have streamlined the sytem to the point that each of those files weighs in the kilobytes.

An update on the other hand could take up much more space, especially when your thinking weapons, which require seperate variables for stats, as well as meshes and skins. I see this idea as being highly unlikely.

However, that being said your mention of Prof. Layton's 'unlock' system' sounds MUCH more likely to me. In fact, I wouldnt be too surprised too see holiday themes for certain levels and Dairon city. The possibility of themed quests available only at certain times of the year also would be possible, assuming that the game simply checks with a server to make sure that they are 'unlocked'.

Which brings me to my greatest PSZ wet dream. Maximum attack.

Maximum attack was pre-coded into PSU and PSO, and was simply "unlocked" when the time came to do so. I feel that their is a very large possibility of seeing something similar to it, a once, possibly annual deal that comes pre-packaged with the game and simply uploads your kill count to a scorekeeping server, eventually when the game hears back from the server at the end of the competition, you will be rewarded with your just deserves (possibly weapons that also of course, are preloaded).

This is, as usual with my posts conjecture. Something I'd like to see, and think it is possible to do with the technology at hand.

Pandatron
Oct 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
Personally I was fine without the updates when playing PSO it was liveable on the Gamecube. However with PSU (when I use to play it) it was a nice little touch up whenever they got around to updating it. My only concern is if they allow downloadable updates via the DSi SD card...that would be a bit annoying.

Edit: It be annoying seeing how I already own DS and have no real interest in the DSi.

Astarin
Oct 14, 2008, 10:19 AM
As I recall in PSO, online quests downloaded temporarily and had to be re-downloaded each time the mission was selected.

I remember a similar thing happening in a few DS games, where you can download new levels etc. but you have to re-download them each time the game is played.

Picross DS even lets you permanently download levels to your cart.

I was thinking about this the other day, actually. With people bawwing that we're just paying to have content unlocked that's already on disc, for PSU, I started wondering "but wasn't it that way for PSO, too...?" I'd forgotten that there was a quick download required at the start of each PSO quest. On that note, does anyone know of a technical reason that this can't be done for PSU, even on the PS2? Is it just that the game wasn't programmed to accept those temporary downloads?

Anyway, hopefully Zero works this way, because we get (essentially) infinite quest options.