PDA

View Full Version : Is dating of different religion wrong???

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 16, 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure if this is out of the line but this is off-topic. If it violates anything, just delete the thread.

Alright there is this girl that i met 3 weeks ago. I'm kinda startin to like her, I think she feels the same way too. I'm Christian, she is Muslim. I know they don't believe in the same God. I told my mom about and she kinda frowned on it....My dad did too......kinda... :-o I know that im old enough to make my own decision.(im 19 for those who are curious) but at the same time I don't want my parents to think of me differently.

In my opinion, I don't think it should matter too deeply in religion as long as they don't try to bring each other into thier religion.

I'm really confused right now :-S

Split
Oct 16, 2008, 05:47 PM
not unless you're a bigot/close-minded.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 16, 2008, 05:50 PM
not unless you're a bigot/close-minded.
lol explain that in detail or give an example please :P

TheOneHero
Oct 16, 2008, 05:51 PM
Dating others in different religions is just fine and dandy. The thing is there will be some situations that because of your upbringing, you'll probably disagree and have more challenging hardships than a relationship of the same religious beliefs. (Especially if you get married and have kids, which religion to you raise them in? No religion? etc. etc.)

Date the girl, be happy, and make sure your parents understand that Muslim =/= terrorist.

Leviathan
Oct 16, 2008, 05:57 PM
Date her.
Nothing is wrong with dating someone of a different religion.

Kylie
Oct 16, 2008, 06:51 PM
No, but I honestly wouldn't care to. Religious views are buried so deep into who a person is, and I wouldn't want to be in a relationship where my religious beliefs contradict their beliefs. A republican dating a democrat is one thing, a Christian dating a Muslim is another (not saying that the racial difference matters). However, I guess it could work if they were loose enough with their beliefs and didn't try to force them on me, but I still think it'd be easier to date another Agnostic.

Aisha379
Oct 16, 2008, 07:04 PM
Dating others in different religions is just fine and dandy. The thing is there will be some situations that because of your upbringing, you'll probably disagree and have more challenging hardships than a relationship of the same religious beliefs. (Especially if you get married and have kids, which religion to you raise them in? No religion? etc. etc.)

Date the girl, be happy, and make sure your parents understand that Muslim =/= terrorist.

This is what I believe, more or less.

I wouldn't have a general problem dating a non-Christian girl if she was a good person, but if it ever got to the point where she disrespected my beliefs or was trying to cause trouble, it just wouldn't work out.

On the other hand, her dating me, she might see something she likes and become a Christian herself, in which case it'd really be a blessing in a way.

Of course, the opposite could also happen, so you have to be careful. (But it really all depends on how important your religion is to you, I'm not going to force my priorities and beliefs on others >_>)

Wyndham
Oct 16, 2008, 07:33 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it, but I do prefer going out with a girl of the same religion. makes things easier.

mizukage
Oct 16, 2008, 08:53 PM
Religions' original purpose was authority and belief, not just that the leaders of a religion gain the power to control people, it also unites groups of people together. And thus, it has no relation to the topic in the poll.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 16, 2008, 08:56 PM
Religions' original purpose was authority and belief, not just that the leaders of a religion gain the power to control people, it also unites groups of people together. And thus, it has no relation to the topic in the poll.

However, some people look down on that. Some believe you should stay with your own. (race,religion,etc)

Split
Oct 16, 2008, 08:59 PM
lol explain that in detail or give an example please :PIf you have the capacity to not only accept, but respect her religious views, and vice versa, then I say why not? Bigotry would be the opposite of doing that, you see.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 16, 2008, 09:03 PM
If you have the capacity to not only accept, but respect her religious views, and vice versa, then I say why not? Bigotry would be the opposite of doing that, you see.

o ok i see thanks ^_^

Shadowpawn
Oct 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
A bit off topic but the Muslim and Christan religious do believe in the same God, they just have different names for that God. The Koran is pretty much an extension of the Bible much like the Bible's New Testament is the extension of Judaism's Old Testament. Seriously, if you look at the history between the three religions you'll see they just pick up where the other one left off.

Anduril
Oct 16, 2008, 09:54 PM
I really see no problem with dating someone of a different religion especially since at this point it's just dating. If it does get to the point of marriage and children, I'm sure if there is truly a strong love between the couple they can find a way to work out any religious conflict in the raising of their family. For example, I once had a teacher who was Christian and he ended up marrying a woman who was Jewish. When they had kids and it came down to deciding how they raised their children he found it easier to accept raising them under the Jewish faith than it was for her to accept the Christian faith, since Christianity is built upon Judaism like Shadowpawn said.

SpikeOtacon
Oct 17, 2008, 12:17 AM
Dating someone with different beliefs is not always a recipe for disaster, but it is also a much more volatile combination. It isn't wrong, but it will probably be harder on the both of you if you plan to go beyond puppy love and passing interest. Though having some differences will keep things healthy, otherwise you might as well be just dating yourself and that's not that fun.

Outrider
Oct 17, 2008, 09:30 AM
Thank you, Shadowpawn. I was surprised we got this far into the thread without somebody pointing that out.

The only way dating somebody of another religion can be an issue is if either of you is very religious and you're planning on getting married/having kids. The only issue that then comes up is how to raise the kids, how you deal with certain customs, etc.

Anybody who says you should only date within your own race, religion, ANYTHING is a fool and should shut their mouths.

Zorafim
Oct 17, 2008, 10:34 AM
There's nothing wrong with it, but it'll be really confusing. What will you teach the kid?

If anyone disagrees, it's probably just an innate human xenophobia. This is America, we're all foreigners. Just go for it.

Omega_Weltall
Oct 17, 2008, 12:15 PM
well i dont see anything wrong with it. BUT if she's muslum then she cant date you cause in Islam you technically cant date anyone who is non muslum unless YOU convert. I liked this girl who was muslum when i was in high school but she told me that she cant (this was confirmed by a friend of mine who is muslum so it wasn't that she didnt want to date and it was a polite way of saying fuck off but i dont doubt that). eh why date them[girls] anyway? just lie to get in their pants and dont bother with the BS but thats another rant.

tldr: she cant cause Islam says so.

TheOneHero
Oct 17, 2008, 12:18 PM
just lie to get in their pants and dont bother with the BS

Yeah, 'cause that's the only important thing.

Omega_Weltall
Oct 17, 2008, 12:24 PM
i dont want to derail but... i've been hurt... a lot ok?

but on topic some may have a problem with interreligous (is that a word?) couples but eh. who cares eff em. in a way its like interracial couples. most younger people dont buy into the bias and prejudices but most older people will.

Outrider
Oct 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
Yes it is wrong.

Aw, that's cute. Good for you.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 17, 2008, 01:46 PM
well i dont see anything wrong with it. BUT if she's muslum then she cant date you cause in Islam you technically cant date anyone who is non muslum unless YOU convert. I liked this girl who was muslum when i was in high school but she told me that she cant (this was confirmed by a friend of mine who is muslum so it wasn't that she didnt want to date and it was a polite way of saying fuck off but i dont doubt that). eh why date them[girls] anyway? just lie to get in their pants and dont bother with the BS but thats another rant.

tldr: she cant cause Islam says so.

She said that her parents dont push that part of the religion on here although her dad doesnt "completely approve of it" he still lets her date out of her religion.

And to answer u question, I dont talk to a gurl just to have sex with them. I get with someone bcuz i think a stable relationship could form. marriage is no where in mind right now

Outrider
Oct 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well, it sounds like there are no real problems then. Go for it!

(Connect four.)

Omega_Weltall
Oct 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
oh ok well then by all means go for it dood, good luck

Kent
Oct 17, 2008, 04:32 PM
To think that such a thing is wrong means that you should undergo mandatory castration.

There is nothing wrong with relationships between people of different religions - there's just as much "wrong" here as having a relationship with someone of a different race, or a different nationality.

That is, NOTHING. Any perceived wrongness in any of these simply does not exist outside of the perverse minds of the insane.

...As for what to teach the kids, should they happen? It's simple, really - teach them to make their own decisions on such things. Teach them to respect the beliefs of others.

seph_monkey
Oct 17, 2008, 04:52 PM
hahaha no i dont think it matters at all completely, UNLESS you listen to your parents for anything and are really into your religion.

i mean my parents have no idea that i date or do "things" with random girls or anything close to my sex life hahaha, n-n-not that im saying thats ok >_>.

just that to me relation ships are your own thing, just make sure you know what you are doing and religion to me isnt that big a deal.

ima buddhist but not all about and ive dated all kinds of girls and personally our religous views dont really get in the way of "things"

but also im not the relation ship type. not that i dont like it, its just it never ends well for me so i just scam around with girls who want the same. or im looking for a serious relation ship which is hard to find. i dont use girls too btw, thats too messed up for me hahaha

Sharkyland
Oct 17, 2008, 05:39 PM
People have been doing it for centuries, nothing's stopping them.

I don't really call it a "love relationship" if you cannot accept what religion he/she believes in.

SubstanceD
Oct 18, 2008, 09:57 AM
I would like to think that Love is blind to things like race or religeon. I say go for it if you really like this girl.

Having said that, don't be surprised if you encounter the occasional obstacle. Noone said it would be easy but that does not make it wrong.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 19, 2008, 03:03 PM
Charger, there is nothing inherently wrong with dating someone of another religion. If neither of you is very religious at all, then it probably won't be a big deal. If either one of you has any weight behind your religious beliefs, however, it can cause problems later on. Probably the best situation, is if, when such a time comes that your relationship becomes serious, one of you converts to the others' religion.

A bit off topic but the Muslim and Christan religious do believe in the same God, they just have different names for that God. The Koran is pretty much an extension of the Bible much like the Bible's New Testament is the extension of Judaism's Old Testament. Seriously, if you look at the history between the three religions you'll see they just pick up where the other one left off.

That's not quite it, but Muslims and Christians do worship the same god. Historically, the god worshiped by Christians, Muslims and Jews is "El" or "Eli"; amongst the ancient gods of the Earth, He was regarded as being the god that was singularly responsible for the creation of all things. The Muslim faith initially split off with the first born son of Abraham, Ishmael, progressing with his descendants, eventually becoming cemented into something resembling today's Muslim faith, by the prophet, Mohammad.

The Jewish faith came together when Abraham established a covenant with God 13 years after the birth of Ishmael, and continued with the first son he fathered with his wife, Sarah, Isaac, who later became Israel. Christianity then split off from Judaism, with the teachings of Christ, formalized by His apostles after his death, who established seven churches (modern Orthodox churches are directly related to these, and the Catholic church is descended from one of those churches, as well).

So in short, Muslims, Christians and Jews all worship "El".

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 02:22 PM
From what i understand bout it Muslims DO believe in Jesus.....although they dont believe he was the son of God(Like how christians do) they just believed he was a prophet....atleast thats what i understand. Yes I am christian but im not even deep into it. I know im not gonna switch religion but um not deep into it....i see more parents deep into the religion they are in more then thier kids.

Charger, there is nothing inherently wrong with dating someone of another religion. If neither of you is very religious at all, then it probably won't be a big deal. If either one of you has any weight behind your religious beliefs, however, it can cause problems later on. Probably the best situation, is if, when such a time comes that your relationship becomes serious, one of you converts to the others' religion.

That's not quite it, but Muslims and Christians do worship the same god. Historically, the god worshiped by Christians, Muslims and Jews is "El" or "Eli"; amongst the ancient gods of the Earth, He was regarded as being the god that was singularly responsible for the creation of all things. The Muslim faith initially split off with the first born son of Abraham, Ishmael, progressing with his descendants, eventually becoming cemented into something resembling today's Muslim faith, by the prophet, Mohammad.

The Jewish faith came together when Abraham established a covenant with God 13 years after the birth of Ishmael, and continued with the first son he fathered with his wife, Sarah, Isaac, who later became Israel. Christianity then split off from Judaism, with the teachings of Christ, formalized by His apostles after his death, who established seven churches (modern Orthodox churches are directly related to these, and the Catholic church is descended from one of those churches, as well).

So in short, Muslims, Christians and Jews all worship "El".
OMG a Mod ^_^

lol
thanks for explaining that though.

Sinue_v2
Oct 22, 2008, 04:51 AM
If it is, I guess I'm pretty fucked. I don't think I've ever actually met another Deist in person.

From what i understand bout it Muslims DO believe in Jesus.....although they dont believe he was the son of God(Like how christians do) they just believed he was a prophet....atleast thats what i understand.

I think you're confusing Muslims with Jews. IIRC, Muslims believe Jesus was the savior and the son of god, however they don't subscribe to all that trinity stuff which was added as basically a political tool to placate multiple opposing views of Jesus when forming the Orthodoxy at the Council of Nicea. Muslims believe their faith is the restoration of the true Abrahamic faith from the corruption by the Jews and Christians. Allah, Yahweh, and Jehovah are all just different names for the same being.