PDA

View Full Version : Animated GIF Sig Question

Turb0
Oct 20, 2008, 05:03 PM
Appropriate (PG-13) and within size limits (180px tall, 600px wide, 35000bytes- not 35KB). Also not seizure causing.

I Have a question on this. My sig is really, really outdated so I'd like to put this sweet GIF I've had for a while in there but I seem to have a problem. It fits all those requirements except the size - it's like 1 million bytes (980kb). Is that going to be a huge problem?:( I mean the only animated GIFs I have that are that small are smileys. The picture size can't be made much smaller or you wouldn't be able to read a sign at the beginning that makes the whole thing make sense. Is there any way to make this work?

TheOneHero
Oct 20, 2008, 05:08 PM
Bumping topics over 2 weeks old is frowned upon.

I don't know how to help you myself exactly, but having a mod split your post into a new topic or posting in the Signature Thread in Fan Works would probably get you faster results. (Not to mention it wouldn't break the rules.)

Turb0
Oct 20, 2008, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry, would you rather I make a duplicate post of an existing thread that's still on the first page?

EDIT: If it's really that big of a deal I guess I could make a new one but with these kind of things you can never win. Use an existing topic and you get bitched at for bumping an old topic, make a new one and you get bitched at for not searching.:-?

Ketchup345
Oct 20, 2008, 05:31 PM
I Have a question on this. My sig is really, really outdated so I'd like to put this sweet GIF I've had for a while in there but I seem to have a problem. It fits all those requirements except the size - it's like 1 million bytes (980kb). Is that going to be a huge problem?:( I mean the only animated GIFs I have that are that small are smileys. The picture size can't be made much smaller or you wouldn't be able to read a sign at the beginning that makes the whole thing make sense. Is there any way to make this work?1 million bytes is definitely a problem. Post a link to the current image you want in this thread, and hopefully someone in Fan Works can find a way to make it work.

Turb0
Oct 20, 2008, 05:35 PM
Ok, thanks. I do have a backup pic I could use but if possible, I'd probably rather have this for the randomness factor. Idk, I guess we'll see. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.:p

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm89/turb0555/aggressivepigeon.gif

Shadowpawn
Oct 20, 2008, 05:37 PM
I Have a question on this. My sig is really, really outdated so I'd like to put this sweet GIF I've had for a while in there but I seem to have a problem. It fits all those requirements except the size - it's like 1 million bytes (980kb). Is that going to be a huge problem?:( I mean the only animated GIFs I have that are that small are smileys. The picture size can't be made much smaller or you wouldn't be able to read a sign at the beginning that makes the whole thing make sense. Is there any way to make this work?

Depends on how many pixels you have packed onto your gif. If you have a 10 frames yet they all have the same background color you can reduce the bit size by having your photo editor optimize your gif removing an excess use of that color (GIMP is great at doing this.) As, using only a 32 color format instead of a 255 true color bit map reduces the file size but degrades the quality of the picture.

Ok, thanks. I do have a backup pic I could use but if possible, I'd probably rather have this for the randomness factor. Idk, I guess we'll see. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.:p

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm89/turb0555/aggressivepigeon.gif

That .gif has way too many frames. Maybe you can cut some of the footage out and keep what you want in.

Turb0
Oct 20, 2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah lol I was going to say, it's a little more than 10 frames.;) I actually downloaded GIMP sometime last week for something else but I don't really know what I'm doing in it...How would I go about cutting some of the frames out?

Shadowpawn
Oct 21, 2008, 09:57 PM
Well if you have the original frames you can just remove the ones you don't want before you compile the clips. However since you asked me that question I'm going to assume you don't. Unfortunately I've never removed frames from a complied .gif animation so I couldn't tell you unless I mess around with GIMP myself. I might be able to do that tomorrow.