PDA

View Full Version : Fable 2

Solstis
Oct 21, 2008, 09:20 PM
Anyone pick it up yet?

Heard mixed reviews so far, so I'm trying to figure out if I should wait until it's on super-sale, or be an early-adopter.

Anduril
Oct 21, 2008, 09:38 PM
I don't care if the reviews are good or bad, I'm going to get it (when I get some money. I hate being poor. :cry:) I really enjoyed the mythos of the first game so I'm really looking forward to picking it up, especially after reading about the Fall of the Heroes on the Tales of Albion site.

McLaughlin
Oct 21, 2008, 09:39 PM
It's pretty awesome so far, in my opinion.

Kent
Oct 21, 2008, 11:46 PM
Can it be beaten in six and a half paltry hours, thus leaving the user in a state of "I pain $60 for that?" like the first one? :/

Complex_Jao
Oct 22, 2008, 12:29 AM
Can it be beaten in six and a half paltry hours, thus leaving the user in a state of "I pain $60 for that?" like the first one? :/ the main story may be beat in 6 hours but not the game

Solstis
Oct 22, 2008, 09:25 AM
I know I'll at least get 2 runs through it, once as a male and once as a female, so I'll probably pick it up today.

Cracka_J
Oct 22, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ya, I snagged it up yesterday.

If you're on a balls-out assault to finish the game, well there's probably not much for you in terms of the "required game". But I didn't get this to blast my way to the finish line and brag to 12 year olds.

It's an action/adventure game, and I intend to do just that. I think I spend a good 3-4 hours last night just in the first town, playing around with the people, the little "jobs" you get offered, and customizing my character. If you're enjoying all the aspects of the game, you will get your money out of it. That's the thing I liked about the first fable as well, that you only really have to continue with the main story when you get bored of doing all the other little shit you can do. The game really doesn't force you to do much.

If you race to the end, don't expect to get much enjoyment out of this one.

Solstis
Oct 22, 2008, 10:59 PM
Okay, this game is a lot longer than I thought it would be.

Hey, my character needs the right clothes, forget the main quest, I want money. And pretty houses.

afterthoughtz
Oct 23, 2008, 07:21 AM
Hmmmm, just curious....can you give away your house to a friend? Like as a gift? If so that'd rock!:)

Cracka_J
Oct 23, 2008, 08:17 AM
Okay, this game is a lot longer than I thought it would be.

Hey, my character needs the right clothes, forget the main quest, I want money. And pretty houses.

Yep. I've invested 10+ hours into the game now...doing absolutely nothing! And it was fun!

But seriously, the environments, interaction with people, towns, side missions, jobs, etc. are the meat and potatoes of this game. I feel like the main quest is just an added bonus if you actually feel like playing it.

Hey wait, sounds a bit like PSO/U ;o

amtalx
Oct 23, 2008, 08:21 AM
I picked it up Tuesday, but just got into it last night. I have to say all of the side quests are much improved. So far its pretty fun. I'm a little disappointed in the frame rate though. :/

Cracka_J
Oct 23, 2008, 09:06 AM
I'm a little disappointed in the frame rate though. :/

Yeah, that and the water "splash" effect that looks really half-assed.

But yeah, I don't know why they weren't shooting for a smooth 60fps rate...

SubstanceD
Oct 23, 2008, 01:43 PM
I've pre-ordered my copy and I will pick it up tommorow ( it comes out in Europe on the 24th of October ). Most of the reviews that I have read seem to be positive although there are a few people who unhappy with the game. My main concern is that alot of people say that it is alot like the 1st Fable game ( although better ). I played the 1st Fable ( very briefly for about 15 minutes ) and I wasn't really impressed, I hated the camera and the controls. I hope Fable 2 has improved on these things.

ABDUR101
Oct 24, 2008, 12:14 PM
Been playing it since release day; bought up the bar and carriage stall in Oakvale(aswell as afew of the houses), the bar, blacksmith and about six smaller stalls in Bowerstone; making about 2250g every five minutes.

Got my dood dressed up like a colonial american, was running around with a steel longsword and flintlocke rifle; swapped out to a steel katana and clockwork pistol. Oh the fun that /i have =]

Yeah, the side-quests and just exploring are the meat and potatoes of action adventure games, and the character controls are very fluid in this one. No more "follow the road" this time around, running through brush and woods and jumping fences, off cliffs, etc is fucking great. I've already married a dood and a chick and have them living in Oakvale; I come around just to get their gifts, partake of (safe)sex and then leave after giving them the "I love you so much" just to keep them happy shpiel.

Fun game, I rather like the dog aswell. Sort of gives you more to concern yourself with as opposed to just running around hearing your own footsteps.

So far, awesome fun. I expecially like handling the purity/corruption when it comes to setting my prices up in the bigger establishments I own, while setting it lower in the others while maximising profits. A game in and of itself.

Oh yeah, artisan woodcutter too, whee. Not that I even have to do it anymore, but it was a good money maker when I needed it in a pinch.

Sord
Oct 24, 2008, 12:26 PM
I got the game the day of it's releas, and played it for over 24 hours straight. First I was a female, but then I put a bunch into physical and she got all brawny and hideous. I didn't realize at the time you could take points out of stuff, so I made a different character half way through the game, this time focusing on magic and guns. Beat the game with her, went for a mix of good and evil (came out good in the end though.) Now that I know the results of some choices, I'm going through with another character (a mostly all good male.) I still haven't done a fully evil person, so that's another run through I'll be doing later. Despite playing it through so many times, there's still a lot I haven't done. I keep stumbling onto spots I hadn't noticed before, still haven't found all the demon doors, etc. It's really worth you time in this game to wonder off the main roads. I also want to buy all of a town and become king/queen, so there's that to.

The only downside is a few cosmetic glitches (like when Thag the bandit kicked my dog at the very beginning of the game, it glitched and fell through the porch under thag's feet.) So far no glitches that have broke the game though. The dot lags on the jobs sometimes, and that's annoying.

On an end note: master clockwork pistol with at least 2 dex (for zoomed in mode) and a nice chunk in accuracy is so overpowered, but I do so love it :x

Outrider
Oct 24, 2008, 01:11 PM
Man... even though I have Mass Effect waiting at home for me to start up, I'm very tempted to pick this up on my way home from work.

It really sounds like a neat world, which just happens to be my weakness in games.

Cracka_J
Oct 24, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hrm, any PSOW'ers want to use this thread also for posting gamertags, so you can travel to each others worlds? I'm not sure if that feature was included with the initial game patch, but I know they said it would be available sometime this or next week.

I only have silver atm, but I'll be getting gold fairly soon. GT is King Craska. Feel free to send a friend request if you're down for trying this out.

Midicronica
Oct 24, 2008, 03:37 PM
I got it yesterday, I'm enjoying it so far. I have noticed the framerate drops here and there but it's really not that much of a bother for me. I haven't gotten past Bowerstone and I've been playing for almost 6 hours now. It's just too fun interacting with the townspeople.

As for my gamertag, it's in my signature. Send me a friend request if you want. Just make sure to say who you are otherwise I'll probably decline it.

Solstis
Oct 24, 2008, 06:39 PM
Beat it with my guy, mostly because he got all beefy and stupid looking. The ending was pretty surprising, sounds like a set-up for an expansion (yay!).

Playing through again as a female, huge chunk of her kills are just from vortexing people off ledges.

Do wish you could put points in physical without looking all sorts of awful, but the game is definitely worth it. Still having trouble being pure evil though, maybe I'll just go for corrupt.

McLaughlin
Oct 24, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah, putting points into Physique turns you into The Hulk. I dunno if refunding the levels takes away the mods though.

Midicronica
Oct 25, 2008, 05:28 AM
Yeah, putting points into Physique turns you into The Hulk. I dunno if refunding the levels takes away the mods though.

That's one of the things I absolutely hated about the first Fable. Your character would get stupidly buff and make you look like a quarterback sacker. I guess I'll just avoid leveling up physique. Sure, I'll deal less damage but at least I'll look good. :wacko:

McLaughlin
Oct 25, 2008, 10:09 AM
In Fable it didn't look so bad. :/

Aisha379
Oct 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
Its a pretty fun game. Better than the original for sure, in every way, though I still don't think its a SUPER GREAT game. But it should entertain me for awhile at least =X

Also (possible side-quest spoilers):

When are you supposed to make a sacrifice to the temple of shadows after gaining 2,000 points? And what is the "Most evil" sacrifice it requires?

I am assuming it is your spouse, but I tried to figure out the time right first. So I grabbed 4 monks, twice, the first time sacrificed them between 12 AM and 1 AM, and the second time trying to sacrifice them between 11PM and 12AM, both times the guy said it was the wrong hour =|

Cracka_J
Oct 25, 2008, 01:43 PM
When are you supposed to make a sacrifice to the temple of shadows after gaining 2,000 points? And what is the "Most evil" sacrifice it requires?

I am assuming it is your spouse, but I tried to figure out the time right first. So I grabbed 4 monks, twice, the first time sacrificed them between 12 AM and 1 AM, and the second time trying to sacrifice them between 11PM and 12AM, both times the guy said it was the wrong hour =|

potential spoiler...I suppose

Yeah, I sacrificed my spouse to get the "most evil" sacrifice. Just to make sure it was the most evil I could think of, I grabbed one of the monks and made him my spouse. Then onward to the temple XD.

As for the "refunding of levels", yes, you can remove the stat modifier and it will "unbulk" you. I've played with the physique modifier plenty of times now since it's cheap, and you can bulk up when you need it and remove it when you don't.

Aisha379
Oct 25, 2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah I finally figured it out.

Apparently, if you kill anyone other than your spouse - even at the right time - the guy still says its the wrong time. No wonder I was confused =|

Sord
Oct 25, 2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I sacrificed my spouse to get the "most evil" sacrifice. Just to make sure it was the most evil I could think of, I grabbed one of the monks and made him my spouse. Then onward to the temple XD.

I tried to do that, but every single one of them would run away screaming when I approached. Doesn't matter though, I just married a pauper and that one worked. I got my revenge later when I slaughtered the whole town for the temple.

I seem to have lag issues quite a bit, not just frame rate slowing down (though that has occurred plenty,) It's most frequent when I'm moving into the clothes menu, changing a piece, dying a piece, and then finally exiting as the changes are applied. Leaving shops sometimes lag to. I actually managed to freeze the game yesterday by casting lv 4 vortex in the Oakfield inn. Luckily the game autosaved not 5 minutes before that occurred (right after I accepted the quest to kill everyone in Oakfield :>)

ngagerebel
Oct 25, 2008, 02:54 PM
Anyone pick it up yet?

Heard mixed reviews so far, so I'm trying to figure out if I should wait until it's on super-sale, or be an early-adopter.

omg its a life ruiner, I got it yesterday sat down and started playing and the next thing I know its 4am in real life and i was playing for over 12hrs... i love the game alot of people won't because of the controls are kinda shitty and that stupid dog is so fucking annoying *can you get rid of it?* but as for game play its really cool. I have been married like 25 times and I killed my lovers cause they wouldn't sex me up lol...

Sord
Oct 25, 2008, 02:56 PM
*can you get rid of it?*
Yes, but... it's one of the options you can choose when you beat the story, don't choose love Keep in mind I don't think it's possible to dig up stuff without your dog indicating it first. On replay games I've tried to dig stuff up before my dog found it and it wouldn't work. This would mean getting rid of your dog would prevent you from doing the archeological quests.

Aisha379
Oct 25, 2008, 03:45 PM
How does one obtain the Temple of Shadows?

Just sacrifice a certain points worth of people?

EDIT:

Heres another odd thing I've noticed - supposedly your still making money even with the game off, well sometimes when I log back in I get that money, and sometimes I never do. Does anyone know if theres some sort of requirement or what?

I logged off a few hours ago with like, 200g. Then I log back in and have over 100,000 o_O

But when I logged on for the first time today, nothing.

NPCMook
Oct 25, 2008, 06:27 PM
You get paid every 5 minutes.

Aisha379
Oct 25, 2008, 07:23 PM
You get paid every 5 minutes.

I know that, but the game says you get paid even if its turned off.

Sometimes I turn it back on and get a ton of money, sometimes I get none at all.

McLaughlin
Oct 25, 2008, 08:51 PM
How can you hate the dog?

You gain money at a slower rate when the game's off then when it's on. I don't think I've ever come back and not had money.

joefro
Oct 26, 2008, 04:41 PM
How can you hate the dog?

You gain money at a slower rate when the game's off then when it's on. I don't think I've ever come back and not had money.

When your dog gets hurt, don't give him an elixir and he won't be around too much.:grin:

There is another way...If you haven't finished the main quest, DON'T READ!
After you beat the game, you can choose the gold and you will never see your dog again.

McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2008, 05:10 PM
I know how to be rid of him, I just wonder why anyone would want to.

I'll never understand how a person could hate any animal, especially a dog (that does nothing but remain loyal to you throughout the whole game).

Aisha379
Oct 26, 2008, 06:53 PM
I don't like dogs, but this one helps me hunt treasure and knows how to shutup, therefore I find him tolerable~

Split
Oct 26, 2008, 07:34 PM
I don't like dogstherefore, you must thoroughly enjoy not having a SOUL

joefro
Oct 26, 2008, 09:00 PM

I'll never understand how a person could hate any animal, especially a dog (that does nothing but remain loyal to you throughout the whole game).
Well considering it's a video game based on Good and Evil, when I made my evil character I went 100% evil. I can't imagine an "Evil" being having a dog.
When I start my good character tonight, I will care for my dog. IRL, I don't hate dogs.:p Err...maybe a little...jkjk

Yes, I didn't revive my dog when the game ended. I took the money, bought the castle and turned into a woman(so I could see the evil woman full-blown.)

Sord
Oct 26, 2008, 09:03 PM
I beat the game again, and I'm starting another character, my attention span can't seem to stick with one long enough to do all the after quests (this will be my 5th char.)

joefro
Oct 26, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hrm, any PSOW'ers want to use this thread also for posting gamertags, so you can travel to each others worlds? I'm not sure if that feature was included with the initial game patch, but I know they said it would be available sometime this or next week.

I only have silver atm, but I'll be getting gold fairly soon. GT is King Craska. Feel free to send a friend request if you're down for trying this out.
Yeah, they surprisingly had the patch ready for day 1. I requested you on Xbox Live, if you wanna try some of the online features out.

If anyone else wants to add me, my GT is xxjoefro, feel free to add me.^^

McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2008, 09:28 PM
Who wants to trade dollies?

I have Garth. >_>

amtalx
Oct 26, 2008, 10:47 PM

Set the date on your Xbox forward a year. Bam, instant money.

Anyway, after getting into it, I'm thoroughly disappointed in the ranged combat. You can hack and slash through 90% of the game.

McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2008, 10:52 PM
Clockwork Pistol + Ghoul Augment + Manual Aim = lulz.

Add sub-targeting for extra amusement.

But yeah, at one point or another you will inevitably have to take out your sword.

And screw those damn Spire Soldiers and their Force Push/Barta spam.

Sord
Oct 27, 2008, 12:28 AM
But yeah, at one point or another you will inevitably have to take out your sword.

I find it a lot easier to not use the sword at all. Just cast raise dead to distract people and roll shoot roll shoot roll shoot. The only thing I've found that's easier is using lv4-5 spells. Maybe I just suck at the melee part, but it's when I try melee that I tend to die.

SubstanceD
Oct 27, 2008, 06:36 AM
Well, so far I am having alot of fun with Fable 2 even though my progress is painfully slow compared to everyone elses ( still on my first character, I just recieved the Hero Of Strength Achievment ).

My character is male and is currently a Purist. I am trying to play the game in a honest and morale way but I'm not letting that get in the way of having a bit of fun on the side ( my character is shameless flirt who is bedding every raunchy woman he meets and has all the women in everytown madly in love with him ).

At the moment, money is very hard to come by, I've put my caravan out to rent ( I don't think anyone is interested ) and I own the weapon store in Bowerstone Oldtown ( wich earns me a little gold every now and again ) but I don't have enough to afford a house yet. Can you really earn money from property when the game is off? I didn't earn anything while I was asleep last night.

When your dog gets hurt, don't give him an elixir and he won't be around too much.:grin:

There is another way...If you haven't finished the main quest, DON'T READ!
After you beat the game, you can choose the gold and you will never see your dog again.

I know about the choice at the end of the game already ( I have the strategy guide ) but I did not realise the dog would die if I did not heal him/her/it.

Same here. Then again, back when I first heard about the dog in Fable 2 I was a bit skeptical about how it would work. Lionhead could have very easily messed this feature up and made the dog annoying or a hindrance to the hero's journey. As it stands however, the addition of the dog makes me care more about the Hero and his quest.

I don't like dogs, but this one helps me hunt treasure and knows how to shutup, therefore I find him tolerable~

Not a dog lover?!?:-o

I thought everyone loved dogs.

Cracka_J
Oct 27, 2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, they surprisingly had the patch ready for day 1. I requested you on Xbox Live, if you wanna try some of the online features out.

If anyone else wants to add me, my GT is xxjoefro, feel free to add me.^^

I checked the release notes as well, and saw the feature was added for the initial release patch.

But yeah, I'll go ahead and add you when I get home from work. Like I said, I haven't upgraded to gold yet, but I plan on doing so in the next week or two. It'll be cool to check out some of the co-op options.

Aisha379
Oct 27, 2008, 03:27 PM
therefore, you must thoroughly enjoy not having a SOUL

damn straight!

And the best way to earn money (Amtrax's suggestion aside) is to just constantly buy and rent out anything you can afford. The game is so easy I went for a long time before even upgrading my weapons for the first time, and now I own all of the gypsy camp, all of Oakville, and a huge chunk of Bowerstone and I'm getting about 2.5k gold every 5 minutes (I'm not even overcharging on the rent either).

Best thing to do is start out woodcutting in Oakville, then just use that money to buy houses. The Woodcutting job is infinitely better than the blacksmithing one.

Dark Emerald EXE
Nov 2, 2008, 11:10 PM
Who wants to trade dollies?

I have Garth. >_>

:-o

lol i just started the other day....although from what my friend said....i kinda ran through it bcuz im starting the Hero of skill part.(havent met hammer at the end yet)

i was just doing the cruicible over and over 1. to get alot of exp and try to get 8 perfect rounds....however im having a hard time gettin perfect on 5(the one were the bandits are on the opposite side) and 8......hitting the bugs arent a problem but when those hobbes appear :-S

Dark Emerald EXE
Nov 2, 2008, 11:12 PM
I checked the release notes as well, and saw the feature was added for the initial release patch.

But yeah, I'll go ahead and add you when I get home from work. Like I said, I haven't upgraded to gold yet, but I plan on doing so in the next week or two. It'll be cool to check out some of the co-op options.

I hope they edit co-op where you can actually use ur custom hero rather then a default

its probably too much but i wish that co-op didnt make you stay in the same place...meaning that i cant go anywhere unless the other person was.....wish it was more free

blacksinow
Dec 30, 2008, 02:53 PM
After playing around with female characters, I decided to go with a male character for a few reasons. I got this game the same time that I got fallout 3, so I've been having a blast. The game is GREAT, though I do wish you had a better way of tracking the dog. Maybe a leash line or something that appears to help you find the dog?

I usually go for a mix of everything, but I will probably go stirve for sword and will. Not a huge fan of slow weapons TBH. But hey, that's just me. I do agree that making money 'can' be slow, but it can be quick if you take up a career. Had a 5 star blacksmith once. I like the addition of the dyes, I just wish armors were readily available and more types of weapons (rusty, iron, steel, master).

I like how detailed the instruction book is too!