PDA

View Full Version : GTFO Packet

W0LB0T
Oct 28, 2008, 01:35 AM
What the hell is with toys with excessive packaging. Do the manufactures even want the kids to play with it. By the time the kids have removed the toy from the packet they have already broken it 6 times and are now bored and having a relay loud kid fight with another sibling.

You know those ones
where its like:

OW! Stop it! MOM! MOM! MOM! HE STARTED IT!

The prime offender is stuff like toy cars or action figures where everything is held in place with wire ties. So you have to spend for ever untying the things or they are so hidden its almost impossible to find and remove them .Or that clam shell plastic that stuff like electronic toys or Xbox 360 accessories come in. which you need pretty much a saw to cut it open, and you have to cut the whole way around the packet before the toy comes out.

Yes they do need quite a lot packaging so the stuff doesn't move around or get damaged before it is sold, but they just need to tone it down a bit.

Nai_Calus
Oct 28, 2008, 05:07 AM
IAWTC

Kylie
Oct 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
Here, here. I feel the same way about CD's and gaming accessories (cords, controllers, etc.). I like it when they put that thing on the side of the packaging like they put on gum. ^^

Tessu
Oct 28, 2008, 01:23 PM
Oh yes. I always cut myself on that kind of scissor-proof plastic that requires a saw because of the sharp edges from cutting and ripping at it.

Maybe they should stop making such fragile things so they don't need to excessively package them. A plastic bag and some bubble wrap worked fine for my delicate tea set.

Mewnie
Oct 28, 2008, 01:42 PM
Oh yes. I always cut myself on that kind of scissor-proof plastic that requires a saw because of the sharp edges from cutting and ripping at it.

FUCKING BLISTER PACKS!

I hate them so >:3

Anduril
Oct 28, 2008, 02:42 PM
I find a letter opener to be very effective against that kind of packaging. And if that doesn't work I have a whole slew of knives and scissors at my disposal to tear away at it. But admittedly I would like to be able to just open things without having to pull out a knife.

Leviathan
Oct 28, 2008, 06:38 PM
They had a report about this on the news a few years back & it took the reporter several tries <& 11 minutes.> to open up a blister wrap thing. &He cut himself several times too.

Save some plastic. Don't use so much of that. Is it even recyclable?

Tessu
Oct 28, 2008, 08:41 PM
Plastic is recyclable indeed.

But since there's nothing in nature that will break it down, the more we use, the more will be left over for the aliens that inhabit earth 55523346.xx billion and a half years later.

Monochrome
Oct 28, 2008, 11:12 PM
FUCKING BLISTER PACKS!

I hate them so >:3

Indeed. I use kitchen scissors (essentially 2 knives bolted together) to cut these and still struggle. Leather shears work ok too. I mean, I can break the controller easy enough, but the packaging is invincible. MAKE THE CONTROLLER OUT OF THAT!

After the nuclear apocalypse, there shall exist only roaches and various controllers in blisterpacks.

raikomaru40
Oct 29, 2008, 06:26 AM
.....and Allen......

[spoiler-box]http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/66665/rocket.jpg[/spoiler-box]

KaFKa
Oct 29, 2008, 10:19 AM
Blister packs are easy to open... without tools even!

How I do it is I find a general corner (if its rounded I just arbitrarily pick a spot) And bite into it using my first molar. After that you tear using your teeth as a clamp until you get about 1/8th of an inch tear. Then you grab (with one hand on either side of the tear) And pull in opposite perpendicular directions. If the packing doesent fall apart from you applying that force, a decent size hole should appear, and you use that with your fingers and hands and just rip it at the seams.

voilla!

...and if that doesent work you can always use a sharp, straightedge knife

SabZero
Oct 29, 2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah, putting something with volatile venenous compounds into your mouth, when you don't know where it's been, is a good idea(TM).

Most stores here have containers after the cashiers to leave the packagin there. No help opening them though XP

Ketchup345
Oct 29, 2008, 02:19 PM
Save some plastic. Don't use so much of that. Is it even recyclable?I think it usually is. Problem is it is not #1, If I recall correctly, most are #5, which limits what areas can recycle it.

Excessive or blister packs suck. You do not need 3 stickers along the edge of a DVD/CD case and an outer full box wrapping. The blister packs are packaging of death really.

Gunslinger-08
Oct 29, 2008, 05:22 PM
Blister packs are easy to open... without tools even!

How I do it is I find a general corner (if its rounded I just arbitrarily pick a spot) And bite into it using my first molar. After that you tear using your teeth as a clamp until you get about 1/8th of an inch tear. Then you grab (with one hand on either side of the tear) And pull in opposite perpendicular directions. If the packing doesent fall apart from you applying that force, a decent size hole should appear, and you use that with your fingers and hands and just rip it at the seams.

voilla!

...and if that doesent work you can always use a sharp, straightedge knife

Thanks, but I'd rather not give myself a reason to get braces again...

I've found that serrated pocketknife blades work the best.

Sord
Oct 29, 2008, 05:25 PM
Huh, I'm not the only one that has opened annoying packaging with his teeth then. Really guys, it's your teeth, it isn't going to kill you or give you cavities. Quit freaking out :disapprove:

Gunslinger-08
Oct 29, 2008, 05:29 PM
Huh, I'm not the only one that has opened annoying packaging with his teeth then. Really guys, it's your teeth, it isn't going to kill you or give you cavities. Quit freaking out :disapprove:

I'm not saying I haven't but consistently using that method certainly doesn't keep your teeth nice and straight. I've also slashed the inside of my mouth doing it before. :(

Sord
Oct 29, 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm not saying I haven't but consistently using that method certainly doesn't keep your teeth nice and straight. I've also slashed the inside of my mouth doing it before. :(

I have yet to slash my mouth, but I only get these annoying packages once in a blue moon. When I buy a "toy" it's usually just a video game, and everywhere around here puts the things behind glass cases, so the only thing that ever needs removing is just a plastic wrapping and sometimes a sticker or two.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 29, 2008, 05:48 PM
I've found that serrated pocketknife blades work the best.
Easy button.

Seriously, just cut the damn thing, don't complain about it. :disapprove:

McLaughlin
Oct 29, 2008, 06:18 PM
One of those damn things gave me a nice long cut along my forearm. I had to get eleven stitches.

I usually just cut the top off, grab the inside, and tear it open. The time I got stitches, the plastic tore the wrong way and I ran my arm along the part I cut off.

Gunslinger-08
Oct 29, 2008, 07:16 PM
Easy button.

Seriously, just cut the damn thing, don't complain about it. :disapprove:

But this is the rants section! :| I only ever have a problem with them during Christmas, where it seems my family has decided I'm a professional with this kind of packaging. Nothing rocks like the taste of blood in your mouth as you finish Santa's cookies...