PDA

View Full Version : Elections

TheOneHero
Nov 4, 2008, 11:03 AM
Did you vote?

Are you old enough to vote? If not, did you go out into the community and inform others of why you should vote for a particular candidate? Be it presidential, congressman, senator, etc. etc.?

Community isn't the internet.

If you answered "no", you have no right to whine and complain about who's in any government office.

Aisha379
Nov 4, 2008, 11:19 AM
If you answered "no", you have no right to whine and complain about who's in any government office.

I heard a lot of people say that in the past, but I don't agree.

If someone doesn't vote because their lazy, then okay. But if someone doesn't vote because they like none of the candidates, or think none of them will do a good job, then they probably have even MORE of a reason to complain.

For the record, I didn't vote, from a combination of forgetting to register in time and lazy-ness. BUT, you won't catch me complaining most likely...so...=X

CelestialBlade
Nov 4, 2008, 11:35 AM
Some people don't vote because they feel they don't have a voice, because of how the system works. And really....you kinda don't. And at the same time, if you don't vote, you can also say you're not responsible for any screw-ups the new leader may perform ;P But anyway.

+1 to Obama for me. Also remember that we really want a balanced Senate, or else nothing is ever going to get done.

amtalx
Nov 4, 2008, 11:40 AM
But if someone doesn't vote because they like none of the candidates, or think none of them will do a good job, then they probably have even MORE of a reason to complain.

I don't buy this at all. If you don't like either candidate, which is most often the case for every election, vote for the lesser of two evils. Abstaining from an election doesn't make the choice go away. No one is going to say "Oops! Not enough people voted, so we're going to scrap the whole thing and come up with a new system and candidates."

Aisha379
Nov 4, 2008, 11:51 AM
I don't buy this at all. If you don't like either candidate, which is most often the case for every election, vote for the lesser of two evils. Abstaining from an election doesn't make the choice go away. No one is going to say "Oops! Not enough people voted, so we're going to scrap the whole thing and come up with a new system and candidates."

Sadly.

But wouldn't choosing a lesser of two evils still put you on the side of EVIL?! =o

Plus what Chelsea said. Can't be blamed for their screw ups later on (look at all the crap people who voted for Bush are getting...)

I still say I probably won't vote until I see someone I really like. I was going to vote for McCain but I didn't register in time >_>

amtalx
Nov 4, 2008, 11:57 AM
Inaction does not absolve you of responsibility.

Aisha379
Nov 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
But I frankly couldn't care how it goes anyway =X

stukasa
Nov 4, 2008, 12:18 PM
Some people don't vote because they feel they don't have a voice, because of how the system works. And really....you kinda don't.
I already explained my feelings about this in another thread, but this is what I think too. I live in California, and because of the way the Electoral College works, it doesn't matter who I vote for or if I vote at all. If we were a swing state, that would be a different story, but we're not.

There are only a handful of states that can actually decide this election, the rest are pretty much a given.

Kylie
Nov 4, 2008, 12:39 PM
Yes, I di--am, after lunch. :wacko: I don't care if the line is all the way out to Texas, I'm getting in it and voting because it's SO important to me that Mary Landrieu wins reelection because they guy she's running against is the biggest douche on the planet. :innocent: There's also an amendment and a proposition I promised my daddy I would vote for. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the presidential race because my state is going to McCain either way, but I'll go ahead and press a button in that box. Might just close my eyes and press a button! :lol:

CelestialBlade
Nov 4, 2008, 12:47 PM
My thing is, I understand that voting is a right and I have absolutely no problem with those that also feel it is your civic duty to participate in national elections. That's fine, if that's what you choose to live by then follow it to its fullest. But I personally feel it is a right and a choice. Now, laziness isn't an excuse in my opinion, but disagreeing with the candidates and/or the voting system, to me, is a legitimate reason to choose not to vote.

And something I forgot to mention before, I know a lot of people who choose not to vote because they know they'd vote Independent or Libertarian and know that, in the grand scheme of things, they'd be throwing their votes away. This is *not* a true Democracy, and that can really discourage people from voting. It's not about what's right or wrong, because you can't define that, it's about people's choices.

amtalx
Nov 4, 2008, 01:47 PM
Some people equate throwing their vote away with either not having their single vote be the decisive factor in an election, or not voting for the person that will probably win. I'm not sure why that is. Its a vote, not a magic wand. However, voting is a right, not a requisite. Voting isn't, and shouldn't be required. Just don't forget the difference between "I voted for the other guy." and "I didn't vote for anyone."

Kylie
Nov 4, 2008, 03:15 PM
I have voted. Can I bitch now? :wacko:

Leviathan
Nov 4, 2008, 04:08 PM
I can't vote.
Sucks.
I'll be able to vote once it is 2012. :>

Why do I have to livev in a red state? ;-;

Vanzazikon
Nov 4, 2008, 04:37 PM
You should see why a friend wanted to vote for Nader. He said Nader was going to legalize marijuania! WTF! And it was his only reason on doing so, even it was inevitable that something like that cannot be passed. Now that's an idiot

Noblewine
Nov 4, 2008, 06:38 PM
I can't wait for it to be over. I hope we will get a president who cares and will actually do something right instead of putting us deeper in dept. I voted early to avoid the long lines on election day.

Sinue_v2
Nov 4, 2008, 06:39 PM
I kind of wished I would have, but I believe you can't just vote for a single race - you have to fill out the entire ballot. Or at least, that's what I thought up until the registration deadline. I would have liked to have cast my vote for Jill Long for Governor over "Ditch" Mitch Daniels, but eh.... he's probably going to win by a landslide anyhow. He had far, far, "holyfuckingshitisBillGatesrunninghiscampaign" more resources to advertise.

I would have liked to have voted in the Presidential elections too - however there is not as of yet not a "No Confidence" option on the ballot.

I have every right, because I am a citizen who lives in this country. It's not like the overall status quo is going to be upset by either of them - and considering their circumstances - neither one of them will live very long in office IMO. As the old Russian saying goes: "Welcome the new boss, same as the old boss". Or at least, I heard it from an old Russian.

I noticed a lot of people at the polls today (I took my mother to go vote, since she doesn't drive anymore) were pressuring their friends and relatives to go vote. As I was telling my mom, I think it is equally immoral to pressure someone into voting as it is to deny someone their right to vote. What your vote does is give you a voice in how your government is run. No taxation without representation - remember? If you choose not to exercise your voice and your vote - then that is your right as an American citizen. And don't let anyone tell you differently.

TheOneHero
Nov 4, 2008, 07:13 PM
I hope we will get a president who cares and will actually do something right instead of putting us deeper in dept. I voted early to avoid the long lines on election day.

It was addressed in another thread about how much stuff has happened during Bush's terms that would shake our economy. 9/11, Katrina, etc. etc.

Sinue~ I get what you're saying, but it doesn't seem right that someone can complain if they didn't do anything to help change/stop a change. Seems like someone trying to absolve themselves from the consequence of not bothering to do anything. That's what I'm getting at. =/

Nitro Vordex
Nov 4, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sinue~ I get what you're saying, but it doesn't seem right that someone can complain if they didn't do anything to help change/stop a change. Seems like someone trying to absolve themselves from the consequence of not bothering to do anything. That's what I'm getting at. =/
It's not the fact that they don't bother to do anything, it's that they get the feeling that no matter what they do, it wouldn't make any difference.

If you feel you can't contribute, don't say anything, right?

Randomness
Nov 4, 2008, 09:09 PM
It was addressed in another thread about how much stuff has happened during Bush's terms that would shake our economy. 9/11, Katrina, etc. etc.

Of course, 9/11 and Katrina were business-as-usual depressions in the market.

The current fiasco is completely different, and dates back almost a decade in the making I believe.

I voted, but I couldn't bring myself to vote for Obama or McCain, so I skipped that and started at the Senate race.

Kent
Nov 4, 2008, 10:06 PM
Wait, so, you only get the right to complain, if you exercise your right to vote?

Pretty sure it's in my rights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_amendment) somewhere that I can complain about it if I damn well feel like it, regardless if I voted - for, against, or at all.

Solstis
Nov 4, 2008, 10:14 PM
It's not the fact that they don't bother to do anything, it's that they get the feeling that no matter what they do, it wouldn't make any difference.

If you feel you can't contribute, don't say anything, right?

ToH, and I am not trying to be rude here, but voter apathy in the teen years is completely expected.

I didn't believe in voting when I was 18 back in 2004, but I did it anyway.

Yes, I was a teenage cynic. Yes, I was totally full of myself. Since I wrote this post, and am referencing it in a meta sort of way, I am still a narcissist.

Feeling that you don't have any control is a pretty common thing when your mind starts waking up. It's a phase, it'll be replaced. Replaced with a more mature and deeper sense of despair, that is. From my experience, anyway.

The point I am vaguely heading towards is that I voted for a major candidate, which is important since I live in Florida. If I lived in a non-battleground state, I would have voted 3rd party.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 4, 2008, 10:32 PM
The current fiasco is completely different, and dates back almost a decade in the making I believe.

In fact, the elements that lead up to this first appeared during the Great Depression. There's not a congress since that time, that hasn't contributed to it in one way or another.

Also remember that we really want a balanced Senate, or else nothing is ever going to get done.

A balanced Senate is not the way to get anything done. When you need a 2/3 majority vote to get something passed, and it's divided 50/50 between two groups that can't agree on a damned thing, you're in for a whole lot of philandering and missed deadlines. What we need is balanced Senators. Wise individuals who can make logical decisions based on a clear goal. Unfortunately, that sort seems to be missing, outright.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 6, 2008, 12:32 AM
Yikes not this cliche again during voting, post-voting time.

"If you didn't vote, then you don't get to have an opinion."

That's not exactly what you're saying ToH, but the stereotype time and time again.
-
This being a videogame community fansite/database, how many topics and opinions have you read about games from people whom didn't ever buy or try the game. How often does this occur in every videogame message board/community ever?

That should click in your head immediately by example that even though they haven't purchased the goods, they still have an opinion that could be headstrong and never affected by any differing opinions or even facts.

Compare to that voting and opinions, replacing the key words in the right places.

Now look at that other Rant about in your face, everyday bombarding tactics to get everyone to vote. Its more important to just get a vote in(every one possible) than having the public be the most informed group before voting.

"Go vote go vote go vote,"
not
"here's more information to get informed and educated before you make your choice."
---
Does someone who voted McCain not get to complain, after they had already voted and their vote didn't get a majority agreement by everyone else? They will complain, as will any democrats or any American in the next 4 years, all the time under any conditions - regardless of how well or not the country seems to be going.

People still complain about the US being how much in debt. Check out that online debt calculator url that refreshes for fun. Nevermind that its debt that the US mostly owes to itself, not to others (countries, etc.) whom would expect to get it back like the US has a marker on its head.

Its not the same as state budgeting and debt due to misplaced spending, but people will spend more time complaining then finding out the facts.

CupOfCoffee
Nov 6, 2008, 08:57 AM
I've got all sorts of excuses for not voting, like Wisconsin always votes blue anyway, I was sick, had a painting due later that day, etc. But I guess it really just came down to I simply couldn't care less who the current face of American politics is.

Sue me if you want, but I think that abstaining from voting is no stupider an action for a politically apathetic youngster like myself to take than to carelessly sling votes around at people whose stances and character I know literally nothing about. People are always saying they hate it when women vote for the guy with the best smile and stuff like that, right? Well, there ya go. I didn't go blindly vote just because Obama seems like a cooler guy than McCain.

The antagonistic tone some people take towards nonvoters is really uncalled for. Why is it anyone's business but his or her own if someone don't care one way or the other?

CelestialBlade
Nov 6, 2008, 10:58 AM
Sue me if you want, but I think that abstaining from voting is no stupider an action for a politically apathetic youngster like myself to take than to carelessly sling votes around at people whose stances and character I know literally nothing about. People are always saying they hate it when women vote for the guy with the best smile and stuff like that, right? Well, there ya go. I didn't go blindly vote just because Obama seems like a cooler guy than McCain.

The antagonistic tone some people take towards nonvoters is really uncalled for. Why is it anyone's business but his or her own if someone don't care one way or the other?
This. Certainly valid reasons to choose not to vote in my opinion.

Outrider
Nov 6, 2008, 11:10 AM
I've got all sorts of excuses for not voting, like Wisconsin always votes blue anyway, I was sick, had a painting due later that day, etc. But I guess it really just came down to I simply couldn't care less who the current face of American politics is.

Well, I think the idea is that people tend to try and complain only when things are bothering them when they could have easily researched a candidate and voted for them to try and state their opinion.

I think that while it's everybody's right to complain about the government, there is certainly something to be said about somebody making a complaint when they refused to do everything you could to effect the outcome beforehand. Anybody is welcome to say they're upset about the result of an election, but they shouldn't forget details such as if they didn't vote/voted for the person they're angry with/etc.

CupOfCoffee
Nov 6, 2008, 11:29 AM
Agreed sir, and that is the very reason I make a point never to be vocally annoyed with how things are run. ;)

Sharkyland
Nov 6, 2008, 08:29 PM
I didn't vote, because I wasn't registered. I was registered, maybe I have to register again. :/

Sometimes when I want to vote, I just want to vote for the President ONLY. Yes, I should care more about my state and how it's doing, but some of the questions (from looking at my dad's ballot) are very 'open'.

For example: "Do you want Maryland to borrow $350,000 to help fix roads and highways?" Borrow from what?!

---

But seriously, if your presidential candidate didn't win. It wouldn't do much with the US to whine, bitch, and complain now. The people's voices have spoken, and now we need to help the US get back on it's feet again. I seriously think that this is going to be one hell of a battle. I kinda agree with Obama when he said 'it might not take one year, or even one term, but we as Americans will find the way to stand up again' (or in some manner of words)

Sekani
Nov 6, 2008, 09:57 PM
Stop using the electoral college as an excuse to vote or not vote. California is a blue state, so what? It's not like Obama-McCain was the only choice to be made on the ballot. The various propositions that come up every year are usually far more important as far as the impact they'll have on your day-to-day life. If you don't vote on those, you fail. (I personally feel like smacking everyone who didn't bother to say anything on Prop 8.)

And yes, you do have every right to abstain from the Presidential election.

ShinMaruku
Nov 10, 2008, 07:13 PM
Did you vote?

Are you old enough to vote? If not, did you go out into the community and inform others of why you should vote for a particular candidate? Be it presidential, congressman, senator, etc. etc.?

Community isn't the internet.

People bitch and moan all the time, however most of those folks are irrelevant.

T0m
Nov 10, 2008, 08:33 PM
I think I agree with TOH. Don't complain about politics or politicians if you don't use the best viable way to change things us simple people have (voting).

Sure, sometimes you don't like either candidate, but what about the political agendas? Investing a little time, you'll probably find you agree with one more than the other. In fact, that agenda should be more important than the candidates themselves. ¬¬

Sure, you might want to vote for a party that's ultimately not going to make it, so you feel your vote doesn't mean a thing. But that vote has just as much impact as all the others. And each individual voter for the winning team also contributed about 0% of the total to the millions of winning votes.
That small party may not make it, may never make it, but if it gets enough votes, it does get more credibility. It can show there's a sizable portion of the electorate willing to back its points. If it gets large enough, the big parties will encapsulate some of the points and ideas of the small party, to try to win over that part of the electorate.
And lastly, unlike what politicians and parts of the media may think, politics are not the be all and end all. And some things seemingly never change. But it should be clear to everyone that politics affects everyone, and I haven't read a valid reason here yet why anyone would not invest the few minutes needed to make an intellligible choice and do their part by voting for what they think is right.