PDA

View Full Version : Conflict

Kylie
Nov 10, 2008, 10:28 PM
Some people like to start it, and some people run and hide at the first signs of it. Whether it's a nasty breakup or a random altercation... What is conflict to you, and how do you handle it? As for me, I hate conflict. I avoid it to no end to the point where I frustrate others. I used to not handle it well, but now I think I'm pretty formidable when I have to be. Still, I get a little bothered and hurt by it, but I try my hardest not to let it show. Also, I only care when it's someone I care about or once cared about. If it's just some random person that wants to upset someone, I don't see the point in satisfying their need, and there are plenty of other people in the world to care about.

Nitro Vordex
Nov 10, 2008, 10:30 PM
Depends on the situation. Too many different possibilities.

SuperChoco
Nov 10, 2008, 10:34 PM
If it invovlves guns, I would run...

Nitro Vordex
Nov 10, 2008, 10:45 PM
Have fun outrunning a bullet.

Shadowpawn
Nov 10, 2008, 10:59 PM
Some people like to start it, and some people run and hide at the first signs of it. Whether it's a nasty breakup or a random altercation... What is conflict to you, and how do you handle it? As for me, I hate conflict. I avoid it to no end to the point where I frustrate others. I used to not handle it well, but now I think I'm pretty formidable when I have to be. Still, I get a little bothered and hurt by it, but I try my hardest not to let it show. Also, I only care when it's someone I care about or once cared about. If it's just some random person that wants to upset someone, I don't see the point in satisfying their need, and there are plenty of other people in the world to care about.

I dislike conflict and tend to be very mellow when it comes to a lot of things. However, if something has comes to a head and things have to be said I think it's better to just let the truth out instead of dancing around the issue.

McLaughlin
Nov 10, 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm pretty relaxed as far as everyday "drama" goes. I tend to just mind my own business. In rare instances things have escalated to the point where a neighbor called the police, but those were special circumstances.

But, as far as "he said you said..." stuff goes, I just ignore it. If you want to believe everything you hear then go nuts.

Kent
Nov 11, 2008, 06:57 AM
Conflict, in its various forms, can end up being very good or very bad things - I wouldn't say that all conflicts end up purely good or purely bad... But they're generally uncomfortable.

Unless you're not attached to them. Conflict without a personal attachment is essentially the basis of modern media - people tread much more delicately when the subject of the conflict hits a little close to home, however.

Have fun outrunning a bullet.
Serpentine, serpentine!

UnderscoreX
Nov 11, 2008, 09:01 AM
I'm entering Law School next year so it's kinda going to be apart of my daily life, that being said however I really tend to dislike seeing friends arguing with each other and what not.

Aisha379
Nov 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
I don't usually start it, but sometimes I do jump in because I get something of a "Conflict combat high" off of it.

If it drags on and on I usually get bored and drop it though.

If its between two friends, I say what I really think. Usually I'm honest if its between myself and a friend, but I know there are times I just have to bend my words a tad bit to keep that friend, or to stop them from hating me for <various reasons here>.

Split
Nov 11, 2008, 12:42 PM
I like to finish it

AlexCraig
Nov 11, 2008, 01:16 PM
In general, I try to avoid conflict. It just follows me wherever I go.

Sol_B4dguy
Nov 11, 2008, 01:47 PM
It's not that I attract conflict; I just seem to have a magnet for it I haven't found yet. D:

Solstis
Nov 11, 2008, 03:27 PM
I try to eliminate and confront conflict as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Letting things linger just makes it worse.

That said, I've walked away from movies (watching at home) because I knew that something bad was going to happen and didn't want to see it. Weird how that works out.

Tessu
Nov 11, 2008, 04:55 PM
That said, I've walked away from movies (watching at home) because I knew that something bad was going to happen and didn't want to see it. Weird how that works out.

That's how I get with books too. Even if I love the book I just have to put it down when I know something terrible is going to happen, even if it might get better in the end. (See: The Count of Monte Cristo)

As far as conflict goes, I try and avoid it as much as possible, but when it happens I try and deal with it as best I can. Of course, I only seem to conflict with people who are impossible to work with.

Leviathan
Nov 11, 2008, 05:27 PM
"When you make a point I counterpoint."

I like arguing, not figthing. Physically that is.
That's why my parents think I would be a good lawyer.

Arguing allows me to think on my feet. Make snappy comebacks &witty retorts. ;o

stukasa
Nov 11, 2008, 07:36 PM
One time I took an online personality test and the result I got was "peacemaker." I think that sums it up pretty well. :p I actively avoid conflict and most people think of me as "good-natured," but on rare occasions I'll stand up for my opinion. I can be very stubborn when I want to be! :D

Vanzazikon
Nov 11, 2008, 07:56 PM
Well, usually when a verbal conflict happens between me and another person, I usually try to talk myself out of it, especially if the conflict happened because of a stupid reason. However, there are physical conflicts that do happen in my life; most of the time, it starts with a random person coming up to me and call me something I don't like. In these kind of conflicts... well you know what I would do...

SubstanceD
Nov 12, 2008, 04:26 AM
I don't like conflict and I usually go out of my way to avoid it when ever possible.

The funny thing is I wasn't always like this. Back when I was younger I actually loved conflict and I was always at the centre of it ( some would argue that I was often the cause of it, alot of my childhood memories involve me getting into fist fights and beating people up ). I'm not exactly sure why it happened but somewhere over the years I became very vulnerable to emotional pain. I don't like getting my feelings hurt but I also don't like watching others get thier feeling hurt either. As such, whenever I'm around people and the conversation becomes heated and there is real danger that harsh words will be said ( or things will bcome physical ) I all of a sudden become alot more diplomatic in my conversation and I become of a peacemaker of sorts.