PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors Edge

ngagerebel
Nov 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
Just wanted to get everyone view on this game... I just got it today and I have been playing for a couple of hours and so far I like the game... now don't get the confused with impressed. but I do like the game so far, I like the challenge of jumping from rooftop to rooftop with people shooting at me and being able to punch through windows to make a short cut so I wanted everyone else's perspective...

Now if you only played the demo, at least rent if if you have the unlimited renter's pass or something from like blockbuster or gamefly. after the training part with is the first two levels in the demo the game gets really challenging fast.

Kylie
Nov 15, 2008, 05:47 PM
I'll probably rent or buy it soon. I played the demo, and the graphics and physics were amazing.

Nitro Vordex
Nov 15, 2008, 06:00 PM
One of the previews rather annoyed me. The one where she is facing a mirror, and by some miracle the bullet hits the mirror where the middle of her face is, with no hint at a shot of any angle. I raged a little bit.

amtalx
Nov 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
Cool idea, but with limited potential. Its a rent at best.

ngagerebel
Nov 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'll probably rent or buy it soon. I played the demo, and the graphics and physics were amazing.

I will agree with you the art and graphics is pretty amazing.

Sord
Nov 15, 2008, 08:11 PM
I don't like the art, the incredibly white color pallet is an irritant to me. I do enjoy parkour videos, but I'm not so sure it would be as entertaining in first person. Also I would think jumping/running from one spot to another (even if there's a dozen in a half ways to do it) as the pure basis would still get dull after awhile. I'll probably rent it after it's been out awhile, but my expectations for my enjoyment of the game aren't very high.

ngagerebel
Nov 15, 2008, 08:32 PM
the thing about the game is that there are moments that so much is going on I kinda feel myself gripping the controller harder. The game is pretty good once you are able to sit down and play it I will admit though that the beginning game be annoying because if you fail during the training part you have to watch the example over again. but it makes sense because they want you to get familiar with what the basic foundation of the game is. what I like is that your able to knock the gun out of the cops/swat guys hands and shoot the rest of them down. its has it flaws like all games, but over all I do give the game 4 out of 5.

another thing... is that lucy liu? not the voice acting but who they modeled the asian looking chick girl after? I can't help but think of lucy liu when i look at the front cover

Kismet
Nov 16, 2008, 07:53 PM
Wow, you people are so picky... I'm surprised you've actually even glanced at PSU if you feel that way about Mirror's Edge...

Outrider
Nov 17, 2008, 01:20 PM
Cool idea, but with limited potential. Its a rent at best.

Really? It's the potential that's the most interesting. It's a game that's actually done a first-person viewpoint right. You have limbs! It's amazing.

My understanding from the reviews is that it's the execution that is somewhat limiting.

Regardless, I will be picking this up. I don't think I could consider myself a haughty video game connoisseur if I didn't.

(The question being - will I have time for it anytime soon with all the Left4Dead I plan on playing?)

str898mustang
Nov 17, 2008, 03:05 PM
I think this looks like a really good game. I saw them review on E3 and really like the gameplay of it. The first person looks good and I like the parkour (sp?) that was implemented into the game. I'll be getting this for PC in January.

EDIT: NEVERMIND!!!! Didn't realize this game is made by EA and this game will have SecureRom on it(the PC version). Probably will just rent it for 360 and borrow my cousins 360.

ngagerebel
Nov 17, 2008, 06:32 PM
I think this looks like a really good game. I saw them review on E3 and really like the gameplay of it. The first person looks good and I like the parkour (sp?) that was implemented into the game. I'll be getting this for PC in January.

EDIT: NEVERMIND!!!! Didn't realize this game is made by EA and this game will have SecureRom on it(the PC version). Probably will just rent it for 360 and borrow my cousins 360.

yeah yeah its made by EA, but the game is really fun still... Its also for the PS3... I played the xbox360 version of it and I enjoyed it... and I despise EA!

rena-ko
Nov 18, 2008, 05:57 PM
hmm... gave the demo (360) a try recently. liked the presentation and the opening, but then fell to death about ten times in a row in that part where you have to jump to another building and grab some pipe to climb up further...

maybe i'll give it a try later on. it fits perfectly with my current, portal-induced "no violence" mood.

Blitzkommando
Nov 18, 2008, 06:11 PM
I plan to pick it up for PC. The question I have is whether or not my body can handle it. That is to say, I've heard many things about motion sickness due to the exaggerated motions and sheer speed of the motion of the game. In other words, it might just be too realistic in movement and design for me. I know certain game engines, wherein the default FOV is incredibly low, leave me feeling a bit queasy after thirty minutes or so.

Split
Nov 18, 2008, 06:29 PM
I plan to pick it up for PC. The question I have is whether or not my body can handle it. That is to say, I've heard many things about motion sickness due to the exaggerated motions and sheer speed of the motion of the game. In other words, it might just be too realistic in movement and design for me. I know certain game engines, wherein the default FOV is incredibly low, leave me feeling a bit queasy after thirty minutes or so.It's not that bad, the only thing you really have to worry about is the somersault that you can do to break your fall after some jumps

Midicronica
Nov 18, 2008, 07:06 PM
Mirror's Edge is a pretty good game. The colors are bright and vivid and it's a change of pace from the darker and grittier colors we tend to see. The battling system is really my only problem with the game, it falls short with it's limited number of melee combos. I've gotten half way through and I'm starting to get really bored with it. I'm going to finish it tonight and send it back to Gamefly tomorrow. The Last Remnant releases this Friday and looks very promising.

SorianoNOIR
Nov 19, 2008, 09:00 AM
Mirror's Edge is a Real Life Mod.

ThePainMaker
Nov 24, 2008, 09:50 AM
Played this game the other day and oh ny god it looked freakin awsomo in the graphics department. the game play was alright to with really complex moves

McLaughlin
Nov 24, 2008, 12:35 PM
While I liked the game overall, there were a few things that just bugged me about it.

1) I beat it the day I rented it. Took me six or seven hours to get through. If you're into Time Trials, then there's more replay value, but I'm not huge on that kind of thing.

2) The combat is irritating. I know it wasn't meant to be a fighting game, but it still feels like a chore. The most annoying part is disarming an opponent. I ran across someone with their back turned to me all of twice. Every other time, I had to time my disarm. The timing boils down to "Wait until they're a frame away from smacking you and then hit Y." This is annoying, because if you miss, you're toast. If they hit you you stagger and then they'll hit/shoot you immediately afterward. They all have really good aim, too.

3) Probably my biggest gripe, not knowing how to get somewhere. Often times, you're thrown onto a roof or into a big room (with a bunch of enemies), and let loose. The game has a hint button (B on the 360), but that only shows you where you're supposed to be, not how to get there. There's usually only one path to your objective, so it takes a lot of trial and error. At least the game's checkpoints are (for the most part) forgiving.

It was a cool game, but I wouldn't buy it.

ngagerebel
Nov 24, 2008, 01:04 PM
While I liked the game overall, there were a few things that just bugged me about it.

1) I beat it the day I rented it. Took me six or seven hours to get through. If you're into Time Trials, then there's more replay value, but I'm not huge on that kind of thing.

2) The combat is irritating. I know it wasn't meant to be a fighting game, but it still feels like a chore. The most annoying part is disarming an opponent. I ran across someone with their back turned to me all of twice. Every other time, I had to time my disarm. The timing boils down to "Wait until they're a frame away from smacking you and then hit Y." This is annoying, because if you miss, you're toast. If they hit you you stagger and then they'll hit/shoot you immediately afterward. They all have really good aim, too.

3) Probably my biggest gripe, not knowing how to get somewhere. Often times, you're thrown onto a roof or into a big room (with a bunch of enemies), and let loose. The game has a hint button (B on the 360), but that only shows you where you're supposed to be, not how to get there. There's usually only one path to your objective, so it takes a lot of trial and error. At least the game's checkpoints are (for the most part) forgiving.

It was a cool game, but I wouldn't buy it.

i agree with you on all but one... and that is the 3rd one. Thats the whole goal of the game is to get a runner's (this day in age referred to as jumpers) perspective on how they get across from on building to another or area. I like it only because in a way it was a puzzle.

The game was pretty much one of those cinimatics where you have to hit the corresponding button to not to be killed... except your in full control.

I believe we can all agree that the game was Unique.

but still really no one has answered OTHER question... is the main character modeled after lucy lui?!