PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming...

KaneKahn
Nov 16, 2008, 04:39 AM
Here is a video about Global Warming to make you think. It isn't partial to one side or the other in anyway just a sort of open your eyes, ears, and mind type video. Very simple and only ten minutes long, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_anaVcCXg

P.S. Please do not spam or reply till you have indeed watched the hole video.

Sinue_v2
Nov 16, 2008, 07:00 PM
This is basically Pascal's Wager as applied to climate change coupled with arguments from authority. The same reasons it's an invalid argument in regards to religion is the reason why it's an invalid argument here.

KaneKahn
Nov 16, 2008, 07:04 PM
Alright your use of big and confabulating words to make you sound smarter failed. Your sentence doesn't make one word of sense.

Sinue_v2
Nov 16, 2008, 07:19 PM
If you can't seem to grasp the relatively simple concept I posted, then I would suggest you stay the hell away from a massively complex, confusing, and contentious subject such as Global Climate change.

Big and Confabulating words? What the hell... are you still struggling with Dick and Jane books or something?

KaneKahn
Nov 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
This is basically Pascal's Wager as applied to climate change coupled with arguments from authority. The same reasons it's an invalid argument in regards to religion is the reason why it's an invalid argument here.

If you can't seem to grasp the relatively simple concept I posted, then I would suggest you stay the hell away from a massively complex, confusing, and contentious subject such as Global Climate change.

Big and Confabulating words? What the hell... are you still struggling with Dick and Jane books or something?

Now read your post with the concept that most people haven't heard nor know anything about Pascal's Wager (Pascal's Gambit). Then shut up.

Nitro Vordex
Nov 17, 2008, 12:16 AM
Global Warming does happen. This can't be denied.

What the big debate is, who or what the cause is or causes are.

And no, I didn't care enough to watch the Youtube. Using a Youtube isn't your best source for info.

Dangerous55
Nov 17, 2008, 12:20 AM
Now read your post with the concept that most people haven't heard nor know anything about Pascal's Wager (Pascal's Gambit). Then shut up.

If you don't know what it is you can go on this new thing called the Internet. I heard you can find anything in search engines, or this funky thing called Wikipedia.

Decent video, entertaining in a way. I still don't know how I feel on global warming, and in the grand scheme of things, my opinion matters little. A lot of people are getting duped into global warming hysteria, I'll say that though.

Leviathan
Nov 17, 2008, 12:47 AM
Global Warming is happening &it's something that we all have to be conscious about. Like recycling more will help. Someone people do go overboard like Dangerous55 said. We just need alternate energy sources.

What pisses me off is some places actually charge for a recycling bag that you don't keep. That makes people not want to when the small bag is $7. Like some places have a green bin that EVERYONE has &the recycling truck just goes &picks up the box &gives it back.

pikachief
Nov 17, 2008, 01:13 AM
i dont know anything bout this "global warming" and i also dont feel like watching that video nor do i feel like recycling lol

all i know is that throughout history, there has been long periods of time where it was very hot, and long periods of time where it was very cold, and that it goes back and forth back and forth throughout history.

im not gonna believe some new current theory i'd rather believe old facts then current theories.

The_Gio
Nov 17, 2008, 02:02 AM
tho the answer can be complicated for this type of thing, i try to keep it simple. Global Warming does exist, if it doesnt, what do we have to lose from thinking it does. clean up the earth a little? what i see is I see nothing bad coming from thinking its true, even if its not. Maybe its just me, maybe im the crazy one here, but I personally think us as a human race, do nothing but destroy things until its too late.

So if you feel better thinking it isnt true, feel better thinking we can still pollute without anything on your back, tell me whats the weather like up on your pedestal :D oh and dont get me wrong, im not trying to guilt you into anything, its just, whats so bad about cleaning up after yourself a little bit?

KaneKahn
Nov 17, 2008, 03:17 AM
If you don't know what it is you can go on this new thing called the Internet. I heard you can find anything in search engines, or this funky thing called Wikipedia.

So every name or term you see on the Internet you WikiPedia if you do not know it?

Dangerous55
Nov 17, 2008, 04:20 AM
So every name or term you see on the Internet you WikiPedia if you do not know it?

Nah. But I would look it up before I did something like this:

Alright your use of big and confabulating words to make you sound smarter failed. Your sentence doesn't make one word of sense.

Sinue_v2
Nov 17, 2008, 06:12 AM

Thank you.

Yes, I understand that some people may not have heard of Pascal's Wager. However, as Dangerous here so eloquently pointed out - if you're already on the internet, and you run across a term you don't know or a subject you're unfamiliar with, you can search for info on it and *gasp* maybe learn a thing or two. It's not like you need to a master's degree in philosophy to understand the concept either. I really don't understand why you got so defensive - as personally, that sort of a situation is something I love precisely because it gives me access to terms, concepts, or facts I may not have run across in my daily routine.

Besides, it's not that other people's supposed ignorance of Pascal's Wager would make the point any more or less valid.

T0m
Nov 17, 2008, 11:59 AM
What the big debate is, who or what the cause is or causes are.

As far as I know, that's also not the big debate. The causes may be multiple, but in all likelihood we (humans) play a part in it.
What the debate is more about, -not considering mainstream media, who like to bring up disconsenting voices for a 'balanced view', because that is what media does,- are a few other things: what will be the effects of global warming, should something be done and if that's the case, what should we be doing.

Not having watched the OP's video, I'm still going to make a guess that what Sinue describes as a Pascal's wager is the position that we'd better do something about global warming even though we don't know what will happen if we don't, just to be on the safe side.
And if that's the case, I don't really agree that it's like pascal's wager.

....but I wish the OP or someone else would have added a short summary of the video so I at least knew which positions the posters here are taking. :wacko:

amtalx
Nov 17, 2008, 12:55 PM
The video and Pascal's Wager are slightly different in letter, but the same in spirit. Regardless, climate change is going to happen whether we give it a name and political ramifications or not. The earth has swung between glacial periods and warm periods before we were here, and will continue after we are gone. We should try to extend a comfortable climate as long as possible...

Kylie
Nov 17, 2008, 01:17 PM
The video and Pascal's Wager are slightly different in letter, but the same in spirit. Regardless, climate change is going to happen whether we give it a name and political ramifications or not. The earth has swung between glacial periods and warm periods before we were here, and will continue after we are gone. We should try to extend a comfortable climate as long as possible...I agree that a climate change is inevitable, which is obvious because of the cycles that have transpired over time. However, I think we're the "hidden" variable. What we emit does hasten the process and draws some sort of Doomsday scenario closer, so I think everybody should be conscious of the way they treat the planet. Not that I'm a hard ass hippy about it; actually, I rarely ever mention it. :-P Plus, I haven't done much to change either.

Outrider
Nov 17, 2008, 01:17 PM
im not gonna believe some new current theory i'd rather believe old facts then current theories.

That's the spirit. Who needs progress, anyway?

pikachief
Nov 17, 2008, 11:34 PM
i'll wait for them to be proven :)

sure we need progress, idk how im gonna help scientist progress tho! haha :P

:wacko: