PDA

View Full Version : New info from Famitsu (Nov. 20)

EspioKaos
Nov 20, 2008, 10:07 AM
Here is some more new information on PS0 from the latest issue of Famitsu, via Shougai PSO (http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/081120d.html).

Cities - Quest counters
* You can select "Go to the field" from the counter. These missions will have increased drop rates, but you will not receive rewards for clearing the mission.
* Choose "Accept quest" from the counter, and the missions will earn you increased EXP as well as rewards for clearing the mission.
* There are main quests and sub quests. By clearing a main quest, you will advance the story as well as unlock sub quests.
* You can accept co-op quests while in wireless play mode.
* Select "Choose partners" from the counter to add NPCs to your party.

Cities - Personal counter
* You can use the "trunk" at a personal counter to store items and Meseta.
* There is also a feature called "player's trunk" which acts like PSU common box. In other words, it lets you store items to transfer between characters.
* The option "item trade" becomes available only in multi-player mode. This allows you to trade items with friends.
* "Player record" is another option at the personal counter. Details are unknown on this feature.

Fields - Layout
* Fields are separated into "zones" and "blocks."
* A zone is defined as a fixed map, while a block describes randomized maps.
* Rare blocks can appear. In these areas, you'll find rare containers.
* The Naura Cake Shop and an area are both mentioned to appear in some fields.

Fields - Progression
* You'll enter a field and be in the first section of a zone.
* As you progress, you'll enter a block which will tie together the first section with the mid-way zone. This block has a chance of being a rare block with rare enemies.
* The mid-way zone can include event scenes or a mini-boss.
* Next you'll move on to the final zone of a map.
* A new block ties together the final zone and the boss zone. This block has a chance of being rare.
* Finally, you move on to the boss zone where you will face off against the mission's boss.

Items
* You cannot drop items to trade; it can only be done through in-game windows.
* Twinkle Star returns as a rare weapon.

Enemies
* Usani - A rabbit-like enemy from the Rioh Snowfields. (The name seems to be a cross between usagi and bunny.)
* Hildegao - A large monkey-like creature similar to PSO's Hildebear. It inhabits the Rioh Snowfields.
* Hildegana - A large monkey-like creature similar to PSO's Hildebear. It inhabits the Rioh Snowfields.

Major characters
* Gray (human male) is a member of the Hunters Guild. He offers a tutorial program and acts as a guide.

Miscellaneous
* The BGM will change when rare enemies appear (making it seem like rare enemies have their own unique battle themes from normal enemies).

Saphion
Nov 20, 2008, 10:16 AM
All of this sounds awesome! It seems like more effort has gone into this than into PSU!

Aumi
Nov 20, 2008, 10:33 AM
Nice, thanks a lot for the info. Maybe you should update PSØ's info section?

EspioKaos
Nov 20, 2008, 11:09 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have access to it, so I'll have to leave that to one of the admins.

Aumi
Nov 20, 2008, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have access to it, so I'll have to leave that to one of the admins.

I see. Hmm, shouldn't you be mod or something? You seem incredibly suitable. o.o

DeathMachine
Nov 20, 2008, 11:47 AM
...And has been around long enough and the most useful translator. I thought they had given Espio status a while ago...

Vanzazikon
Nov 20, 2008, 12:15 PM
So there are three sections: the first section, the mid-way zone and the final zone (excluding the Boss' zone). The blocks that separates the first section with the mid-way zone, the mid-way zone with the final zone and the final with the boss' zone have a chance of being a rare block.

What I want to know is are there rare blocks in between any of the sections?

Well at least the stages are unique to that of PSO and PSU.

Percival
Nov 20, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hurray for "Player's Trunk", "Rare Blocks (Maps)" and "BGM changes when rare monsters appear".

It sounds like they've paid a lot of attention to details.

This game is shaping up to be the best Phantasy Star Online to date.

Let's hope there won't be any critical game-breaking bug in this version. Especially since they won't be able to patch it up, short of recalling and replacing your DS cart.

edit: Indeed, nice work EspioKaos.

Dragwind
Nov 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
EspioKaos is actually one of the Team Contributors if you guys didn't know-
http://www.pso-world.com/staffers.php

The PSZ page on the site will be updated in time.

I have to say I'm interested in the "go to the field" option. That sounds similar to PSO's "go through the zones on your own" system if I'm reading that right.

Also, this might seem minor to most, but having the music change for a rare enemy spawn is just another one of those small adjustments that will make the game that much more entertaining. ;)

jShazBot
Nov 20, 2008, 03:35 PM
EspioKaos is actually one of the Team Contributors if you guys didn't know-
http://www.pso-world.com/staffers.php

The PSZ page on the site will be updated in time.

I have to say I'm interested in the "go to the field" option. That sounds similar to PSO's "go through the zones on your own" system if I'm reading that right.

Also, this might seem minor to most, but having the music change for a rare enemy spawn is just another one of those small adjustments that will make the game that much more entertaining. ;)

Indeed. Minor things such as this actually make a HUGE impact on the overall quality of the game. It's a bit ironic how PSZ, a DS game, is turning out to have more features than it's predecessor PSU, which is on major consoles like PS2, 360, and PC.

Risingsun
Nov 20, 2008, 04:54 PM
Here are the scans from the article in question
http://gamekyo.com/images0_5_13639.html

http://gamekyo.com/images7_5_13639.html

http://gamekyo.com/images8_5_13639.html

DeathMachine
Nov 20, 2008, 11:12 PM
The map situation looks to be quite interesting. Maybe there'll be hidden blocks outside of the map square sometimes. Or you could be certain of which areas you haven't yet explored (sometimes with hidden entrances) to help find rare blocks...

Percival
Nov 20, 2008, 11:15 PM
Pie shop?

DeathMachine
Nov 20, 2008, 11:18 PM
Like the Naura Cake Sisters?

furrypaws
Nov 21, 2008, 12:20 AM
I'm just super relieved that there's a common box and trade. The lack of those two things literally killed nearly all of the interest I originally had in PSP.

I also like NPC partners and the new block system. I'm psyched for this game until the hackers figure out another FSOD or something >_>

Shiroyu
Nov 21, 2008, 02:37 AM

Holy crap. They just keep finding ways to make this game better.

Nowhere
Nov 21, 2008, 02:57 AM
The only thing that bugs me about the music changing is that I'll miss the moment of "hey... that X looks funny..." in the instant before realizing it's a rare. OTOH, altered music is more content, so that's cool too.

It does seem like they've put a lot of thought into all the changes. Shield weapons and Gunslash sound cool (despite Gunswords being absolutely stupid in FF8) One thing I personally really like is the fact that the weapons are mostly/all just traditional weapons which have been augmented by, rather than based on the whole photon stuff. It fits my aesthetic a lot better. Regardless of preference, the variety is a good thing to have.

Aumi
Nov 21, 2008, 02:59 AM
It's incredible how we constantly rant to SEGAC about PSU but love them like that for PSØ... xD

EJ
Nov 21, 2008, 03:39 AM
Hmm...I like how the music will change when a rare enemy appears but will the music change like it did on PSO when there no enemies around and then suddenly be more upbeat when fighting enemies?

To me I think that was missing in PSU since the music always stand the same while in PSO the music changed when fighting enemies. Also I wonder if they are going to try to bring back old enemies like delsabers and Ill gills since they brought back the Boomas and Rappies.

Nowhere
Nov 21, 2008, 05:00 AM
It's incredible how we constantly rant to SEGAC about PSU but love them like that for PSØ... xD
I think part of it is that we didn't have as high hopes for PSØ (or that it would even exist at all...)
Plus, I find the best levels in PSU are the PSO levels they run sometimes.

EspioKaos
Nov 21, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hmm...I like how the music will change when a rare enemy appears but will the music change like it did on PSO when there no enemies around and then suddenly be more upbeat when fighting enemies?
Yeah, the changes will occur with normal enemy encounters, too.

DeathMachine
Nov 21, 2008, 01:56 PM
I guess that with this new block system, we can't use the telepipe trick for rare monsters anymore. I'm interested in hearing rare music. SEGA doesn't usually disapoint in the music department...

Shiroyu
Nov 21, 2008, 02:47 PM
The rare monsters having their own music is rather Monster Hunter-y.

Not that I'm complaining.

Akaimizu
Nov 21, 2008, 03:05 PM
It's not a bad idea. It'll have the similarity to those little jingles in Tomb Raider whenever you find a secret or something. It brings a kind of musical satisfaction to it.

Seority
Nov 24, 2008, 07:26 AM
Rare Areas?
So like Phantom Fissure in PSO =D
Kinda~

Percival
Nov 24, 2008, 11:17 AM
Is this an arena I see in this scan?

Aumi
Nov 24, 2008, 05:08 PM
Looks a lot like one. o.o

MinscTFA
Nov 24, 2008, 06:18 PM
Fight monsters for sport perhaps?

Percival
Nov 24, 2008, 06:33 PM

Rodeo? Yee haw!

Linestar777
Nov 24, 2008, 10:50 PM

Could be a quest... or perhaps a challenge mode event? :-?

MinscTFA
Nov 25, 2008, 06:48 PM
It's so obvious.

You force monsters to brutally fight each other and bet on the outcome.

ChronoTrigga
Nov 26, 2008, 06:29 AM
This game is going to blow PSU's ass out of the water. I can't wait til they realize that a DS game will kill PSU. :) Not that the haxeta/population hasn't already.

Kent
Nov 26, 2008, 09:01 AM
This game is going to blow PSU's ass out of the water. I can't wait til they realize that a DS game will kill PSU. :) Not that the haxeta/population hasn't already.
Funny thing is, plenty of DS games already show more varied, challenging and engaging gameplay than PSU, so this won't be the first.

Saphion
Nov 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
Funny thing is, plenty of DS games already show more varied, challenging and engaging gameplay than PSU, so this won't be the first.

It's true as well!

Epically Leet
Nov 29, 2008, 08:45 AM
The more I find out about this game, the more awesome it seems.

Can't wait.

Too true!

pikachief
Dec 1, 2008, 09:21 PM
I know this is a bit of an off subject question but i didnt think it should take up its own topic :P

Does anyone know if this game has any character customization besides your clothes? like proportions, skin tone, or anything else?

Kent
Dec 1, 2008, 11:34 PM
I know this is a bit of an off subject question but i didnt think it should take up its own topic :P

Does anyone know if this game has any character customization besides your clothes? like proportions, skin tone, or anything else?
Hair/headwear styles may be linked together, like in previous Phantasy Star games (probably are), and skin tone is kind of a given (though, I think it was confirmed somewhere). I don't recall hearing about proportions or anything like that, however.

Risingsun
Dec 2, 2008, 02:15 AM

This old post has a translation of the character creation screen
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2170398&postcount=5

ShadowInferno119
Dec 2, 2008, 11:42 AM
Does anyone have an speculation's on the "* "Player record" is another option at the personal counter. Details are unknown on this feature."

I think it probably shows your which monster's you killed how many which bosses, maybe even highest damage. Maybe you can edit like a motto, or an avatar or something there.

Percival
Dec 2, 2008, 12:12 PM
We've had a glimpse of the player record feature in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmdsSvhb6zk&eurl=http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154090).

Have a look at the footage between 6:11 and 6:25.

I think I can hear the words "Item scan", "Enemy scan".

I hope it has more functionality than a simple model gallery. I'm a big fan of the "Tales of something-that-ends-with-a"'s records system. Not only does it list all enemies and items but also their stats and where they can be found. If they'd include that in PSØ, I'd be a very happy hunter.

I'd give 4 friend points™ to anyone who can give us an English transcript of everything said between 6:11 and 6:25. ;)

psofan219
Dec 4, 2008, 07:39 PM
There are quite a few things about this game I like already. Like for one, the fact that the BGM will now CHANGE when a rare enemy appears (despite the fact that we now will no longer have that moment "Am I seeing things?" or, whatever)! And also the "Player's Trunk" feature. Now I won't have to waste time transferring items to another character! And not to mention that there are now rare blocks! PSZ, if it keeps up with the good reports like this, is going to be the best PSO release so far, in my opinion. If anyone comes across a release date for the US in the future, post it ASAP. (Of course, you were already planning that, weren't you?)

Yuudai_Riisu
Dec 5, 2008, 05:45 PM

Funny, how people said this about pso. when psu was being released in jp